Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Game tools & Financing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by N1warhead, Jun 11, 2018.

1. N1warhead

N1warhead

I believe this can be a very beneficial thread for people like me who force ends to meet lol.

Right now, I'm trying to scour the net to find a place to finance game dev software (such as ZBrush).
    So far I've ran into 'novedge.com' it says it's easy to apply, but see no button to apply for it anywhere.

So for me, trying to get ZBrush (Right now I got ZBrush Core), but would rather just finance a big (to me) purchase.

So do you happen to know of any places that allows the financing of software like ZBrush?

For me it's related to ZBrush, but any other websites to finance any other game dev software is fine. So this can help everybody find the tools they need, with a financing option involved.

Not everybody has 800+ dollars to throw immediately like buying a cheese burger lol.

2. iamthwee

iamthwee

blender + instant meshes ?

3. iamthwee

iamthwee

So OK I just checked your FB page and it seems you're modelling a raptor or something.

Anyhoo, this would be my workflow in blender.

1. Grab a 2d image of internet showing side and front view of raptor etc or your own concept art
    2. Use skin modifier with mirror modifier to get basic topology down

3. Subdivide mesh for suitable vertices
    4. Go into sculpt mode and enable dynotopo
    5. Start sculpting basic forms going more detailed stage by stage.
    6. Retopo manually using bmesh plugin or use instant meshes of github.

*Note inside blender you can use your own photoshop brushes to get intricate details like scales etc.

Side note: carefully watch your topology if its wrong to begin with you ain't going nowhere.

I basically whipped this up in about ten minutes using the above workflow - it's pretty crappy. But is forms basically everything you need to get going, you could even apply rigs and bake the high res mesh as a normal mesh, for game usage.

trex.jpg

Point is cost = 0, give blender enough ram and UI responsiveness is comparable to zbrush, also recommend using a wacom tablet for sculpting.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  4. iamthwee

iamthwee

Also this is a highly instructional video for sculpting for beginners when it comes to getting the form down.

5. iamthwee

iamthwee

6. N1warhead

N1warhead

I want to know about financing tools, not a Blender and instant meshes. (I've already got ZBrush Core), which suffices and works well for sculpting, just not the extra good plugins that Zbrush full version has. So I can utilize all the really good tools, such as UV Master, and ZRemesher, Sculptris Pro, not to mention all the really good brushes, custom brushes, etc.

Blender is nice for what it is, but it is nothing like a true sculpting program.. I've used regular full ZBrush in the past, so it's not that I haven't used the stuff and realize their usefulness to speed work flow up. Just a matter of finding another avenue to acquire it without up front 700+ dollars. E.G. - Financing.

I mean I see where you're going with this, which is not bad. I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any financing places for software for the likes of ZBrush, etc.

It's not the sculpting and such I needed ZBrush for, only the plugins and extra brushes and such.
    The plugins and tools alone are worth the value to buy ZBrush, at least too me.

I wasn't trying to find an alternative, or even getting it cheaper. Just a different avenue of purchase.
    Oh and that dinosaur is a Compsagnathus (A Compy). The little tiny Dinosaur on the second Jurassic Park movie that bit the little girl on the beach).

iamthwee likes this.
  7. N1warhead

N1warhead

Oh and that is a pretty good T-Rex Model for such a short time doing it :)

8. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yeah I was just trying to show you what blender can be capable of but i appreciate once you start learning one toolset its difficult to switch.

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So you are looking for a regular business loan from your local bank? If you can convince them that your business plan is viable and will return money, they will happily give you a loan. As a general rule you should avoid online finance companies and the like. Banks tend to offer much better terms. As a less formal option you can also use credit card debt, again the terms are likely to be less favorable.

Otherwise you can reach out to the ZBrush developers and ask them to set up a subscription service. Despite the bad rap subscriptions get, they are a very cheap way to access software up front.

Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  10. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, sounds like you're after a loan or a credit card.

Before chasing up either of those things I would first make sure I had a convincing plan of how I'm going to use the money spent to make significantly more money in return. For instance, does buying that tool allow you to take contracts that are a) readily available specifically to you and b) you can not currently take due to a lack of appropriate tools?

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  11. iamthwee

iamthwee

^^ IMO I'd only consider dropping $800 if I was either
    1)Top of my game in that field
    2) People I'm working with are tied into using zbrush

Whether the OP feels he falls into those categories I don't know.

12. nipoco

nipoco

You get Zbrush 100 USD cheaper if you already own a Zbrush Core license.

13. N1warhead

N1warhead

No, I'm not after a business loan. I was talking more like a Rent-To-Own or Leasing and own at the end.
    I know some softwares you can do this with, such as the Substance stuff.

Which in them cases I just buy them up front as they aren't much.
    But like you can do monthly installments until you own Substance painter/designer/Bitmap2Material or if you can't pay it, they revoke your license.

I know that's done directly through Allegorithmic, but what I meant was, third-party companies that can do the same thing, E.G. - An Authorized retailer kind of company, even if it has an interest rate from providing a service.

I guess there aren't really any options for this, so I'm just going to save up and get it, nearly halfway there. Couple weeks I should have it.

But it has nothing to do with gaining a profit in return from it, I simply just want it because it's what I'm comfortable using and can speed up my workflow 10 fold (Figuratively speaking)... But again, I used to use ZBrush on a daily basis awhile back. So it's not that I don't know what it's about and how much it can help me with certain things to speed up the time.

Oh and also, it's not that a Loan hasn't crossed my mind. Just can't seem to find any bank that want's to give less than 3 grand. I don't need 3 grand, i need like 700 something dollars lol.. I know they can do it, they just don't like to do it.

14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Credit cards are the normal finance instrument for low value loans.

angrypenguin likes this.
  15. N1warhead

N1warhead

Honestly, I tend to avoid them things. They can ruin your life quick.
    Yes generally at the persons own stupidity lol. Just prefer not to use them.

Reality is, it would be easier to just save up and get it and not have to pay anybody anything else lol.

Martin_H likes this.
  16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Given you won't get a bank loan, you won't get a credit card loan, and the software product you are after doesn't have an installment plan, it seems like this is your only option.

Martin_H and N1warhead like this.
  17. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah, that's why I was just wondering if anybody knew of any third parties that worked like this.
    You'd think with today how things are, rent-to-own, etc, are big businesses now days. They are virtually in every town and city in America at least. Perhaps this is an untapped market potential?

For example, found a startup.
    Become an authorized retailer of whichever products (if they let you).
    Figure out the legalities to things (which may be what's preventing it anyways).
    And if you are allowed, given permission of course, rent-to-own licenses to customers.
    If customer becomes delinquent on payments, revoke the license.
    If customer pays off (with interest rate) for providing a service, they own the license free and clear.

Now of course this type of thing may not last very long, because a lot of things are turning to subscription based. In my opinion, at this point in time it may not even be worth doing, despite how good of an idea it may result in. A temporary solution isn't always a good thing when a month after starting it, everything you wanted to support this service for now goes to subscription based models.

So the question is, do you think ZBrush and companies that still do the pricing the traditional ways (One time, own forever, which I still prefer honestly), will stay at their current models, or do you think they will eventually switch over to subscription?

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

They sure can, if you don't have a plan.

If you get one for a specific purpose and then only use it for that purpose they can be pretty useful tools.

But if saving up is something you can do fairly easily then I agree that's the best approach.

Martin_H likes this.
  19. iamthwee

iamthwee

i do hate the subscription model with a passion but i guess if i was them it would yield the best return for their software - and the end user can stop anytime.
    as a student everything i use now is the cheapest most bang for my buck, bought outright.

some things i've purchased, affinity designer/photo and armorpaint (lightweight substance clone) and cloth 2.0 for blender which is like a (marvellous designer clone)

good luck man. i like the compy model, i decided to throw that t-res together cos of the new jurrasic park movie ha.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  20. iamthwee

iamthwee

i personally think zbrush will switch to subscription at some point, when i don't know, as all the other software vendors are doing so.

The good thing, it brings about healthy competition in the market, i don't think affinity photo/designer would have been conceived if adobe didn't overprice their products so much.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

There are plenty of loan sharks that will be more than happy to work with you. I know you don't want to use a credit card but the reality is that a credit card is far less likely to come with exorbitant interest rates. For the most part people don't go to non-bank third parties out of choice. They go to them because they have no alternative.

Apply for a credit card, purchase the software you need, cut up the credit card, pay off the credit card, close the account.

Kiwasi and angrypenguin like this.
  22. Ony

Ony

If you use a PayPal business account they have a pretty nice loan system in place, with no credit check. The amount they loan is based on your typical volume through PayPal, and they take a percentage of various payments you receive until it's paid off.

Edit: More details in my post below...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Kiwasi likes this.
  23. Martin_H

Martin_H

Didn't we just have a thread about drama where someone tried to do that on the assetstore but then Unity did not accept it and charged the bank account instead, oder something like that?

24. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

No, they did some weird account sharing payment scheme and the expected unity/PayPal to arbitrate their drama.

Ony and Martin_H like this.
  25. Martin_H

Martin_H

Maybe we're thinking of different drama threads? There were a few recently. I was specifically remembering it to be about the paypal credit option:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/a-friendly-warning-about-using-paypal-for-unity-purchases.525172/

But I don't want to re-read the thread past the first post. Just thought I should mention it as a general heads up to people considering using Paypal credit for purchases, because it seems their communication is somewhat lacking.

Ony likes this.
  26. iamthwee

iamthwee

isn't every thread some kinda drama

especially when i'm contributing

27. Ony

Ony

Not sure exactly what happened in that thread, but I think they used the actual PayPal credit thing, which isn't what I'm talking about. That's just extended credit from PayPal, like a credit card. I'm talking about the PayPal Working Capital loan, which is something different. It's a loan, not a credit balance. Just for clarification.

angrypenguin and Martin_H like this.
  28. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, I was thinking of a different one.

Ony and Martin_H like this.
  29. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Move to sweden (High tax on salary) and create a LLC (Zero tax on goods), all of the sudden everything you buy on the company feels like Monopoly board game money :p