Search Unity

Game to Big Screen... Eye crimes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alpha-Loup, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Dr. Uwe Boll who brought such movies to us like "Alone in the Dark", "Bloodrayne" and currently "Dungeon Siege" is planning his next attack on us game developers... "Postal" gets on the big screen...

And now for the ultimate evil... There are talks on his fan site about Chuck Norris or David Hasselhoff for the role of the postal dude...

2. Samantha

Samantha

While I am able to sleep soundly at night by pretending Uwe doesn't even exist, I still want to vomit whenever I hear news about his movies.

I also feel like no one has made a great game-to-film conversion yet. The closest anyone has come was the first Mortal Kombat. But that director has since gone on to make poop. I haven't seen Silent Hill but I've heard it's "faithful yet bad". Plus the main character never existed in any game, so it can't be that faithful.

3. Morgan

Morgan

Halo sounds like it's being approached in a good way--but still, unlikely to be the first good one!

My vote for the first good video game movie: American McGee's Alice, coming in 2007.

4. Samantha

Samantha

Wow, is Alice actually being made? That could potentially rock! Have any trailers been produced?

I will always believe that Final Fantasy III (VI) could be an epic trilogy on par with Lord of the Rings, if not surpassing it.

5. Morgan

Morgan

Yes--it's in production, starring Sarah Michele Gellar (good choice).

Also, I believe the game American McGee's Oz is no longer expected, but IS expected as a movie series now. I'm looking forward to that also.

6. Samantha

Samantha

Gellar as Alice? Boo! Alice is supposed to be like 12 years old! They should have cast that girl from The Ring. I'm substantially less excited now. Oh well, here's hoping the rest of it doesn't get screwed up too much.

7. Morgan

Morgan

Well, remember that in the game, Alice has been in an asylum for years. It all takes place years after her parents' deaths, which in turn took place after the books. I don't think she's meant to be a child anymore.

8. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I cant wait to see Halo as a Movie. It has lots of potential and i like the setting.
    Lets see what they do with it.

And Gellar as Alice? Why not.

@Ulognep
    I really liked the silent hill movie. Great atmosphere, that catches the ingames feelings and looks on every inch. You even reckognize some typical level compounds and it uses the same soundtrack... That s a great movie.

9. jamie

jamie

silent hill is one of the best game to movie translations I have seen. It didn't follow exactly the same story, but it did indeed have a very similar feel, used the same locations and enemies and music/sound effects. the ending left something to be desired though...

10. Venkman

Venkman

Hey, I liked that ending! It was very Japanese in style. It was a very visual and subtle ending that suggested that the mother and child arrived home safely, but never really left the world of slient hill (having entered it once, they will always be a part of it). Hence the house and neighborhood were a foggy greyish blue- and the husband, looking around the house like he can feel their presence- like a ghost just walked into the room- his portion of then ending was filmed in a soft, gold light.

That contrast was enough for me to get it.

11. Morgan

Morgan

I never played the games, and the movie's gore was just not my thing. But I DID like that ending :)

12. Venkman

Venkman

Yeah, when they couldn't scare you anymore they started literally shredding people to bits! After that I visited my parent's house and my mother had made some italian chicken dish (with marinara sauce!) which didn't look too appealing after seeing people being ripped apart. :eek:

13. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Yes, scary it was... like hell... especially the bathroom scene in the school... Everone knew whats coming... and to see it really happen was the most scariest part :D

The only really funny thing were the "dancing" undead in the hospital... reminded me of M. Jacksons Thriller.

But i hope, there will be a part 2.

Arent there any plans to bring Hitman to the screen?