Search Unity

Official Game Settings System

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by phazer34, Sep 30, 2020.

1. phazer34

phazer34

https://open.codecks.io/unity-open-project-1/decks/15/card/15e-settings-system
    Hi was wondering if I could make the settings scene i am pretty good at making menus and this is something I would really love to do. if I could how would I submit the UI
    And what would you like me to add
    Some ideas are:

Music volume:

Sound FX
    Main menu music
    In game music

Colorblind settings
    Captions
    I could also show the controls
    Brightness
    Language

Could you see if people can make UI design for the Slider, Text Font, Button, and Drop Down? If not I can make something but I would rather have someone else do it that is helping with design so it can fit better.
    thanks for your time

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  2. Desoxi

Desoxi

Hey, great project and idea to make this a community effort!

I would like to work on the Settings System. Are there any special plans on how it should work? Persistency over several sessions etc.
    I can build a prototype UI to test the code. As for the persistency we could stick to PlayerPrefs for now or if you want we could use JSON serialization of a ScriptableObbject maybe.

luisquid likes this.
  3. luisquid

luisquid

I can help you out! I really want to work on the settings as well.

4. phazer34

phazer34

Does anyone have ideas for settings options or does anyone know how to make UI if u do just put it in the comments:):D;):p

5. phazer34

phazer34

I have a script ready would u like me to me to share it @cirocontinisio

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. luisquid

luisquid

There is already a thread about it! Please, make sure to use the existing threads!

7. luisquid

luisquid

8. phazer34

phazer34

I created this first and waiting for approval because you can’t submit it until it is approved

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  9. phazer34

phazer34

I want to contribute can u just focus on one thing at a time instead of doing everything give other people stuff to do

10. nrvllrgrs

nrvllrgrs

My two cents is that this should actually be a separate GitHub project that is included via the Package Manager. That way anyone in the Unity community can easily use it.

11. nrvllrgrs

nrvllrgrs

Additionally, it would be smart to coordinate with the Saving / Loading system, especially if we were to use an external serialization solution such as Odin Serialization.

12. StivenUnity

StivenUnity

I want to see your architecture can you send me the forked repository to view the progress?

13. Desoxi

Desoxi

I think if the saving/loading system is using a generic JSON serializer that can serialize all <T> classes we don't need to think about saving/loading data in this settings system, you are right. It just would be to call the save/load methods from within the settings system.

As for the package manager idea, I think we should not make this too complex. If every feature would be a package it would be too hard to synch all systems together in my opinion.

Also, this settings system is nothing too complicated. It's just a class that enables you to change the settings like resolution etc. (mentioned in the settings system card).

If this is going to be assigned to me, I'll talk to the Saving/Loading system guy to make the save system a bit generic or I could tackle both in one go.

14. Desoxi

Desoxi

I didn't start development yet as nothing is assigned, but my forked project is this: https://github.com/Acimaz/open-project-1.git

15. Megatank58

Megatank58

Hi there I'm interested is this too i have worked with some of these settings in the past.

16. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

This is the official thread to discuss the Game Settings System (roadmap card).

Please start with simple implementations that generally stick to what the card on the roadmap is saying. There will be time to expand the functionality.

luisquid and Desoxi like this.
  17. HoomanJCode

HoomanJCode

Hello, I want to join you and I have an idea to implement the architecture that "stivenUnity" referred to.
    for example, a parent class that helps you to implement any settings later. I can commit diagrams if you start the Settings project.

18. luisquid

luisquid

Alright, folks. Here's a list of what needs to be done taking what the roadmap card says:

1. Resolution (Drop down menu with a list of 16:9 aspect ratio resolutions)
    2. Fullscreen toggle.
    3. Shadow Quality
    4. Anti-aliasing
    5. Graphic settings preset (Drop down menu with Low, Mid, High)
    6. Audio Volume (SFX and Music)
    7. Language (We can have the placeholder and work on this later since it's not priority right now.
    8. Control Remapping Scheme (This is a whole new section that is related to this other roadmap card)
    9. Save and Load Settings
    In my opinion we could use player prefs to save the settings using JSON serialization to save the monobehaviour class. The control remapping scheme can be managed separately in its corresponding thread.

Are any of you working on doing something already? I think it would be better if we choose something small and start building from it, rather than try to do it all to prevent working double.

19. Desoxi

Desoxi

I've worked on this already and have implemented a working UI which can change the following:

• General - Language
    • Graphics - Graphics Presets, Resolution (all supported resolutions on users device), fullscreen mode,
    • Advanced Graphics - Anisotropic filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Shadow Distance, Shadow Quality
    • Audio - Music Volume, Sfx Volume
    The only thing which blocks me from making a pull request atm is that unitys "SetQualityLevel" actually sets the quality level selected from the presets, but completely ignores all advanced graphics. This is nonsense as it has all presets configured inside the "Quality" project setting already.

Also calling QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel(index, true) with the second parameter set to true, which is used to apply expensive changes like anti-aliasing values, does not change said settings. It defaults them to 0, which seems to be a unity bug at this point.

I think I still will make a pull request and work on this later on to fix it. Maybe someone has an idea why it does not work as intended.

luisquid likes this.
  20. luisquid

luisquid

Care to share your PR? Maybe I can take a look at it and we can work on it together! But great progress! :D

Desoxi likes this.
  21. Desoxi

Desoxi

22. Megatank58

Megatank58

So i think we are just going to commit to this PR if im not wrong?

23. Desoxi

Desoxi

Blocked for now as I am waiting for the TMPro PR to be merged into the repo. After that, I'll do a rebase of the Settings System PR.

24. Megatank58

Megatank58

Sounds cool,Can i help you?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  25. MUGIK

MUGIK

This is an interface I use in my games for settings system.
    I'm not saying it is required to use interfaces, just suggesting features to implement. Hope it helps
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public interface ISetting
    2.     {
    3.         // used for PlayerPrefs.SetString(setting.Id, setting.Save())
    4.         string Id { get; }
    6.         event Action Changed;
    8.         void Initialize();
    10.         void SetDefault();
    12.         void Load(string saveData);
    14.         string Save();
    15.     }

26. Neonage

Neonage

PlayerPrefs is really not a place for configs, as they need to be easily accessible json files

27. MUGIK

MUGIK

I just simplified my example. Ideally, there is some sort of ISettingStorage.

By the way, settings and configs are completely different things. ScriptableObjects are a great place for game configs.
    But settings(or preferences), that player chooses, more naturally to store in PlayerPrefs.

28. Neonage

Neonage

And more ideally it would be ScriptableObject ;)

29. MUGIK

MUGIK

30. matrunk

matrunk

Hey everyone i'm colorblind if you want i can try to work on the colorblind's settings

31. Megatank58

Megatank58

I think what we can do is like have a checkbox for ColorBlind Mode and then when its true we can run the script to set it for colorblind support.

32. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Funny enough, I am actually working on that! I came to the Open Projects repo to see if this were a place where I could use it, but it seems that the community has got this one pretty much sorted out, and since I'm trying to generalize I'm taking my sweet time. But since you're interested, I'll share it here: https://github.com/Casey-Hofland/UISettings

Note that this is pretty much in alpha. I have the core concept ready (which is why I came here), but check in... probably next week and I'll have updated the documentation.

EDIT:
    I've looked at Staras Repo and what I'm trying to do, and it will be some time later when this is done because I'm generalizing the package more. First it was a UISettings system... now it will be a Settings system, with Components for UI build on top (this way, you can use settings in custom scripts as well and have more control over their management).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  33. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Alright, 0.1.0 of Game Settings is here!!!

There is no documentation yet so if you want to check it out for yourself here is what the general workflow would look like:
    1. Go to Create Asset > Game Settings > Pick a setting (try Anti Aliasing).
    2. Create a Dropdown.
    3. Add a SettingsDropdown to it.
    4. Pick a setting (Anti Aliasing if you've been following) and press Reset UI in the Inspector (or enable force UI).
    5. Go to Edit > Project Settings > Quality and watch Anti Aliasing update together with your setting!

Next will be a lot more settings, next next will be URP and Input System support, and Documentation will probably happen somewhere in between.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Erethan likes this.
  34. mihaititiriga07

mihaititiriga07

I would like to help with this but unfortunately i’m not around my computer and neither will be for the next 3 days

35. socialtrens

socialtrens

Can we add dynamic resolution to the list? Most people prefer dynamic rather than fixed resolution.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  36. kirbygc00

kirbygc00

Hi All,

I would not mind implementing (maybe sometime this weekend) if people have not already signed up to do so... Seems like it is maybe partially already implemented but I see an open card for the task on codecs? o_O will take a look at the codebase later and see