Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Game Rules - Visual scripting based on rules engine - would need feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by game-rules, Sep 13, 2017.

1. game-rules

game-rules

I have just released Game Rules, a unity visual scripting extension.

I would need valuable feedback from experienced developers on the added value of such kind of asset, and any improvement that could be setup to make it really useful.

For those volunteers, I can send directly a copy of the asset for deeper analysis.

An additional upgrade for studios is in progress to let developers team being able to collaborate with scripts using this asset (using free cloud database for the rules repository).

Below are the concepts for Game Rules:

Generally, other visual scripting tools tries to put all logic in a single view, giving quickly unmaintainable assets when dealing with some complexity.

GameRules has a different approach. The visual scripting is just a convienent way to write a rule (I've also setup code completion to make developer life much easier). The true difference is in fact the rules engine composed of rule resolution algorithm and rule assembly.

To summarize, you create different rule types, like property rule, when rule, logic rule, state machine rule, monobehaviour flow rule, ... Each rule type will generate during rule assembly its own piece of C#. Each rule can call and reuse other rule types, based on a rule resolution mechanism using inheritance, ruleset and version to figure out best matching rule. So when generating a state machine rule for example, the generated cs script will be composed of all C# codes from all recursively called sub-rules.

For example with Tanks tutorial, when creating a state machine rule. One state Charging executes the logic rule PlayAudioClip when entering state and when in this state, is calling the logic rule SetCurrentLaunchForce during Update message rule. The logic rule SetCurrentLaunchForce setup two property rules, currentLaunchForce and aimSlider.

So, with Game Rules, your game code is divided in smaller pieces, which make it easier to maintain, version, and to promote reusability.

GameRules is actually inspired from a powerful software used in Banking and Insurance sectors. It took me two years to develop it to be sure it fits with any game complexity I have encountered myself when developing some mobile games in the past.

2. leci

leci

Hi,I'd like to know some news about this package. Is there any update planned?

thx.