Search Unity

game pad won't connect

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by bobbmeister, Apr 24, 2020.

1. bobbmeister

bobbmeister

This was posted in the Answers forum 3 or so days ago. It was recommended that I post it here. I was looking for the input manager category, but was unable to associate it with one of the listed forums, so I posted it it here, hoping someone could direct me to the appropriate resource.

In a nutshell, I have a controller, which is designed for high integrity and rugged environments. This controller has been in production for 10+ years, is straight USB connectivity. It has 16 buttons and two x/y joysticks. It will not enumerate.

Here is the trail of messages (complaints). Looks more like a stack trace starting with the "Could not create a device for Ultra-MSI Electronics.....(exception:System.Exception:State format SBIT is not supported...) see below for more info

"This is the error that is reported when Unity tries to use the Ultra Controller"

Could not create a device for 'Ultra-MSI Electronics Inc. 1505-G6887 (HID)' (exception: System.Exception: State format 'SBIT' is not supported as floating-point format at UnityEngine.InputSystem.LowLevel.InputStateBlock.FloatToPrimitiveValue (System.Single value) [0x002dc] inC:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\State\InputStateBlock.cs:569 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.Controls.AxisControl.FinishSetup () [0x00031] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\Controls\AxisControl.cs:219 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl.CallFinishSetupRecursive () [0x0002c] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\Controls\InputControl.cs:881 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl.CallFinishSetupRecursive () [0x0000c] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\Controls\InputControl.cs:880 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputControl.CallFinishSetupRecursive () [0x0000c] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\Controls\InputControl.cs:880 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceBuilder.Setup (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription) [0x00032] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\Devices\InputDeviceBuilder.cs:55 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice.Build[TDevice] (System.String layoutName, System.String layoutVariants, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription) [0x0004a] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\Devices\InputDevice.cs:678 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.AddDevice (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString layout, System.Int32 deviceId, System.String deviceName, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription deviceDescription, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice+DeviceFlags deviceFlags, UnityEngine.InputSystem.Utilities.InternedString variants) [0x00001] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\InputManager.cs:1033 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.AddDevice (UnityEngine.InputSystem.Layouts.InputDeviceDescription description, System.Boolean throwIfNoLayoutFound, System.String deviceName, System.Int32 deviceId, UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputDevice+DeviceFlags deviceFlags) [0x00072] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\InputManager.cs:1164 at UnityEngine.InputSystem.InputManager.OnNativeDeviceDiscovered (System.Int32 deviceId, System.String deviceDescriptor) [0x000c4] in C:\Users\User\Documents\ASPIS-Controller-GUI-mockup\GUIMockUp\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.inputsystem@1.0.0-preview.7\InputSystem\InputManager.cs:2069 )

PLEASE NOTE: The above software version is Unity 2019.3.0f6.

Regards,
    Bobbmeister.

2. valdeezzee

valdeezzee

I am having the same issue with the controller I am using. It must be that something was removed in this version of the input system. I have tried out an older version of the input system, 0.2.1-preview, and my controller is recognized.

I have just tested out other versions of the input system. All 1.0.0 versions give me the same error:

Could not create a device for 'Universal Human Interface Device UHID Gamepad Device #1 (HID)' (exception: System.Exception: State format 'SBIT' is not supported as floating-point format.

bobbmeister likes this.
  3. bobbmeister

bobbmeister

Thank you for posting this. It's very helpful

4. RobW81

RobW81

I have always had issues with the MSI controllers. I haven't been able to get proper Axis values from them MSI since 2012, MSI wasn't able to help resolve the issue back then. We just upgraded to the new input system and still have issues. So I doubt this has anything to do with the new input system. Since it never worked inside of unity and I had to write a DirectX plugin just to read the xy Axis values If anyone could help with this I would appreciate it.

5. valdeezzee

valdeezzee

6. SonicTheHedgiehog

SonicTheHedgiehog

what if people like me get this on keyboard after loading an old incompatible project?

7. thylaxene

thylaxene

Yeah I'm getting same issues with a Thrustmaster USB Joystick. Bloody annoying. Will look at Rewired.

8. AndyMorrin

AndyMorrin

Did you get round to solving your problem? I'm trying to use the same joystick with no luck... Did you buy rewired?