Search Unity

Bug Game may start with incorrect Orientation

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by kyubuns, Mar 10, 2023.

1. kyubuns

kyubuns

My game limits "Allowed Orientations for Auto Rotation" to "Landscape Right" and "Landscape Left" in "Player Settings".
    However, it sometimes starts in "Portrait" or "Portrait Upside Down" on the iPhone.

This started happening after I updated from Unity2020 to 2021.

Current environment is Unity 2021.3.16f1, running iOS 16.2.
    We have not been able to investigate this issue in detail due to its infrequency.
    Does anyone have any information on this?

Is the iOS screen rotation buggy in relation to this issue?
    Does anyone know of any workarounds?
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...entation-to-autorotation-at-runtime-on-ios-16

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    ing_unity likes this.
  2. kyubuns

kyubuns

Player Settings are as follows

Attached Files:

3. IgorBoyko

IgorBoyko

Same here on 2021.3.18f1, without autorotation enabled. The game would just randomly rotate to landscape on its own, started seeing this since iOS 16 update in particular.

4. nhannguyen2gl

nhannguyen2gl

same here 2021.3.18,
    My app is starting and landscape but in one scene it needs to switch to Portrait
    On Android and ios 15 it's fine but it's keeping landscape and cannot switch to portrait on ios 16

5. OneKnife

OneKnife

Same Problem in Unity 2019.4.18f1, still looking for a fix.

6. chrismarch

chrismarch

We may be seeing a similar bug, where a portrait orientation is displayed when we switch from an iOS OS screen (lock screen, etc.) to our Unity player application, which has only landscape modes checked for the Allowed Orientations for Auto Rotation.
    We noticed that the bug may not have reproducible on an iPhone 13 with iOS 16.1.2, but it did occur when upgrading that device to iOS 16.4.1, which was done just to attempt the reproduction of the bug.

7. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

kyubuns likes this.
  8. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Is there a temporary solution please, I see that someone in IOS developer calls when rotating
    if #available(iOS 16.0, *) {
    self. setNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations()
    }
    solve this problem

nhannguyen2gl likes this.
  9. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

As a temporary solution, is it feasible to call SetNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations once when the game starts in xcode?

10. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

> is it feasible to call SetNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations once when the game starts in xcode?

yeah, in UI/UnityViewControllerBase+iOS.mm we have two places (why two? oh well, that happened) where we update controller orientations: in init and updateSupportedOrientations
    you can add to both i guess (alas, i was not able to repro still, so blindly "fixing" is a bit meh)

11. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

This bug cannot be reproduced stably. First of all, you need to make your iphone as parallel to the ground as possible, cut the game in vertical screen or lock the screen and exit and then quickly open the game. This may also have something to do with the sensor

12. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Code (CSharp):
    1. - (id)init
    2. {
    3.     if ((self = [super init]))
    4.     {
    5.         if (@available(iOS 16.0, *)) {
    6.             [self setNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations];
    7.         }
    8.         NSAssert(UnityShouldAutorotate(), @"UnityDefaultViewController should be used only if unity is set to autorotate");
    9.         _supportedOrientations = EnabledAutorotationInterfaceOrientations();
    12.     }
    13.     return self;
    14. }
    16. - (void)updateSupportedOrientations
    17. {
    18.     if (@available(iOS 16.0, *)) {
    19.         [self setNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations];
    20.     }
    21.     _supportedOrientations = EnabledAutorotationInterfaceOrientations();
    22. }
    I try this method but it doesn't work, if anyone is proficient in IOS development, please guide me

13. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

I read in some posts that it seems that the
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [[UIDevice currentDevice] setValue:orientationTarget forKey:@"orientation"];
    Call requestGeometryUpdateWithPreferences instead

Code (CSharp):
    1. NSArray *array = [[[UIApplication sharedApplication] connectedScenes] allObjects];
    2.          UIWindowScene *scene = [array firstObject];
    3.          // screen orientation
    4.          UIInterfaceOrientationMask orientation = isLaunchScreen ? UIInterfaceOrientationMaskLandscapeRight : UIInterfaceOrientationMaskPortrait;
    5.          UIWindowSceneGeometryPreferencesIOS *geometryPreferencesIOS = [[UIWindowSceneGeometryPreferencesIOS alloc] initWithInterfaceOrientations:orientation];
    6.          // start switching
    7.          [scene requestGeometryUpdateWithPreferences:geometryPreferencesIOS errorHandler:^(NSError * _Nonnull error) {
    8.              NSLog(@"Force %@Error: %@", isLaunchScreen ? @"Horizontal screen" : @"Vertical screen", error);
    9.          }];
    May I ask where is the place where unity modifies the orientation?

14. Andrii_Hi

Andrii_Hi

We've been able to reproduce the issue with orientation on iPhone XR ( iOS 16.3.1). We use "Auto Rotation" with "Ladscape Left" and "Landscape Right" checked. But still the game will be displayed in a portrait mode if these steps are followed:

1. Open the game
    2. Don't touch the screen for a few minutes while the screen goes to the screen lock mode
    3. Wait for 5 minutes
    4. Unlock the screen
    5. Turn the phone to the portrait mode

Any workarounds?

Scorpion_1980 likes this.
  15. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Yes, on 16.3 and 16.4, this bug often occurs when you unlock the screen after a period of time. On 16.2, you don’t even need to lock the screen. You just need to enter the vertical screen and kill the process. Open the game again and it will appear

16. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

For this reason, I upgraded unity from 2020.3.2 to 2020.3.46 and still have the same problem
    This BUG may need to be modified in the OC code used for rotation in unity, but I haven't found the specific location, if anyone knows, please let me know

17. chrismarch

chrismarch

I don't see updateSupportedOrientations in the UnityViewControllerBase.mm output from Unity 2020.3.45f1:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #import "UnityViewControllerBase.h"
    2. #import "UnityAppController.h"
    3. #import "UnityAppController+ViewHandling.h"
    5. #include "OrientationSupport.h"
    8. @implementation UnityViewControllerBase
    10. @synthesize notificationDelegate = _notificationDelegate;
    12. - (id)init
    13. {
    14.     if ((self = [super init]))
    15.         self.modalPresentationStyle = UIModalPresentationFullScreen;
    16.     return self;
    17. }
    19. - (void)viewWillLayoutSubviews
    20. {
    21.     [super viewWillLayoutSubviews];
    22.     [_notificationDelegate onViewWillLayoutSubviews];
    23. }
    25. - (void)viewDidLayoutSubviews
    26. {
    27.     [super viewDidLayoutSubviews];
    28.     [_notificationDelegate onViewDidLayoutSubviews];
    29. }
    31. - (void)viewDidDisappear:(BOOL)animated
    32. {
    33.     [super viewDidDisappear: animated];
    34.     [_notificationDelegate onViewDidDisappear: animated];
    35. }
    37. - (void)viewWillDisappear:(BOOL)animated
    38. {
    39.     [super viewWillDisappear: animated];
    40.     [_notificationDelegate onViewWillDisappear: animated];
    41. }
    43. - (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated
    44. {
    45.     [super viewDidAppear: animated];
    46.     [_notificationDelegate onViewDidAppear: animated];
    47. }
    49. - (void)viewWillAppear:(BOOL)animated
    50. {
    51.     [super viewWillAppear: animated];
    52.     [_notificationDelegate onViewWillAppear: animated];
    53. }
    55. @end
    57. UnityViewControllerBase* AllocUnityDefaultViewController()
    58. {
    59.     return [UnityDefaultViewController alloc];
    60. }
    62. #if UNITY_SUPPORT_ROTATION
    63. UnityViewControllerBase* AllocUnitySingleOrientationViewController(UIInterfaceOrientation orient)
    64. {
    65.     switch (orient)
    66.     {
    67.         case UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait:            return [UnityPortraitOnlyViewController alloc];
    68.         case UIInterfaceOrientationPortraitUpsideDown:  return [UnityPortraitUpsideDownOnlyViewController alloc];
    69.         case UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft:       return [UnityLandscapeLeftOnlyViewController alloc];
    70.         case UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight:      return [UnityLandscapeRightOnlyViewController alloc];
    72.         default:                                        assert(false && "bad UIInterfaceOrientation provided");
    73.     }
    74.     return nil;
    75. }
    77. #endif
    79. UnityViewControllerBase* AllocUnityViewController()
    80. {
    81. #if UNITY_SUPPORT_ROTATION
    82.     if (UnityShouldAutorotate())
    83.         return AllocUnityDefaultViewController();
    85.     UIInterfaceOrientation orient = ConvertToIosScreenOrientation((ScreenOrientation)UnityRequestedScreenOrientation());
    86.     return AllocUnitySingleOrientationViewController(orient);
    87. #else
    88.     return AllocUnityDefaultViewController();
    89. #endif
    90. }

18. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Because he is in UI/UnityViewControllerBase+iOS instead of UnityViewControllerBase, I have tried this and it has not worked

chrismarch likes this.
  19. chrismarch

chrismarch

What is your highest reproduction percentage, roughly? And, which hardware, OS and steps?
    I haven't had any luck with an iPhone 12 pro max and iOS 16.4.1 with our app, which my team does see the bug with on iPhone 12-14 and iOS 16.3-4.

20. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

For whoever sees incorrect orientation, can you please try the following:
    in Classes/UI/UnityViewControllerBase+iOS.mm
    find
    Code (csharp):
    1. - (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated
    and add above:

Code (csharp):
    1. - (void)viewWillAppear:(BOOL)animated
    2. {
    3.     _currentOrientation = UIViewControllerOrientation(self);
    4.     [GetAppController() updateAppOrientation: ConvertToIosScreenOrientation(_currentOrientation)];
    5.     [super viewWillAppear: animated];
    6. }
    so it looks like this

Code (csharp):
    2. - (void)viewWillAppear:(BOOL)animated
    3. {
    4.     _currentOrientation = UIViewControllerOrientation(self);
    5.     [GetAppController() updateAppOrientation: ConvertToIosScreenOrientation(_currentOrientation)];
    6.     [super viewWillAppear: animated];
    7. }
    9. - (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated
    10. {
    11.     _currentOrientation = UIViewControllerOrientation(self);
    12.     [GetAppController() updateAppOrientation: ConvertToIosScreenOrientation(_currentOrientation)];
    13.     [super viewDidAppear: animated];
    14. }
    16. - (void)viewWillTransitionToSize:(CGSize)size withTransitionCoordinator:(id<UIViewControllerTransitionCoordinator>)coordinator
    17. {

OC-Ishikawa likes this.
  21. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

I tried this method just now, but it didn't work, and there is still a chance that it will open from the wrong direction when opening

22. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

All our IOS devices here will, iphone11 16.3 (20D47), iPad (8th generation) 16.2 (20C65), iphone14 16.3.1 (20D67), iphone14 pro 16.2 (20C65), the easiest to reproduce is iphone14 pro 16.2 (20C65), just need to enter the game first ( Game Orientation is set to LandscapeLeft), and then the game switches to Portrait, kills the game process, clicks the game again to enter, there is a high probability of appearing, if you kill the process, wait a while, enter the game, this BUG will not appear, just like the IOS horizontal and vertical tips of the game has a problem

23. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

iphone11 16.3 (20D47), iPad (8th generation) 16.2 (20C65), iphone14 16.3.1 (20D67), iphone14 pro 16.2 (20C65), the easiest to reproduce is iphone14 pro 16.2 (20C65),

iphone14 just need to enter the game first ( Game Orientation is set to LandscapeLeft), and then the game switches to Portrait, kills the game process, clicks the game again to enter, there is a high probability of appearing, if you kill the process, wait a while, enter the game, this BUG will not appear, just like the IOS horizontal and vertical tips of the game has a problem

24. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Is there any progress on this issue now?

25. nhannguyen2gl

nhannguyen2gl

upload_2023-5-17_17-10-22.png
    I see the status is In progress for 2023. I guess we need to wait a bit more for 2021 and 2022

Pavel_989 likes this.
  26. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

Can you post a link to the issue? Also under consideration does not automatically mean it will be fixed for 2021/2022

27. Vongola_Bili

Vongola_Bili

I got the same problem and resolved it. Everyone can try it.
    I found that in iOS 16, it is possible to receive incorrect orientation callbacks. I don't know how to avoid this error, but I forcefully refresh the screen to the correct orientation.
    In UnityViewControllerBase+iOS.mm

Code (CSharp):
    1. - (void)viewWillTransitionToSize:(CGSize)size withTransitionCoordinator:(id<UIViewControllerTransitionCoordinator>)coordinator
    2. {
    3.     // ...
    4.     [super viewWillTransitionToSize: size withTransitionCoordinator: coordinator];
    6.     // Here is the fixing code
    7.     // when get unsupported orientation in ios16
    8.     if (([self supportedInterfaceOrientations] & targetMask) == 0)
    9.     {
    10.         _currentOrientation = curOrient; // keep the last orientation
    11.         UIInterfaceOrientation targetOrientation = ConvertToIosScreenOrientation(_currentOrientation);
    12.         targetMask = 1 << targetOrientation;
    14.         if (([self supportedInterfaceOrientations] & targetMask) == 0)
    15.         {   // sometimes the first orientation is 0 (orientationUnknown)
    16.             // choose the preferred orientation or supported orientation
    17.             targetMask = [self supportedInterfaceOrientations];
    18.             targetOrientation = [self preferredInterfaceOrientationForPresentation];
    19.         }
    21.         // fouce screen orientation
    22.         if (@available(iOS 16.0, *))
    23.         {
    24.             [self.navigationController setNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations];
    25.             [self.tabBarController setNeedsUpdateOfSupportedInterfaceOrientations];
    27.             UIWindowSceneGeometryPreferencesIOS *geometryPreferences = [[UIWindowSceneGeometryPreferencesIOS alloc] init];
    28.             geometryPreferences.interfaceOrientations = targetMask;
    30.             UIWindowScene *ws = self.view.window.windowScene;
    31.             [ws requestGeometryUpdateWithPreferences:geometryPreferences errorHandler:^(NSError * _Nonnull error) {
    32.                 if(error != nil)
    33.                 {
    34.                     NSLog(@"fouce change orientation when rotate to unsupport. code: %d %@", (int)error.code, error.description);
    35.                 }
    36.             }];
    37.         }
    38.         else
    39.         {   // If the iOS version is not 16, this issue should not occur. Just to be safe, let's make it compatible.
    40.             [[UIDevice currentDevice] setValue:[NSNumber numberWithInteger:targetOrientation] forKey:@"orientation"];
    41.         }
    42.     }
    43. }

katsumasaUnity3d likes this.
  28. atasayin1

atasayin1

Same problem here with iPadOS 16.5, i'm waiting for more elegant solution, since there could be side effects of overwriting an build code.

29. JoJoJoX

JoJoJoX

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    RaventurnPatrick likes this.
  30. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

31. JoJoJoX

JoJoJoX

You are right. But I dont want to upgrade the Unity version right now. I just copy the Objective-C/C++ code that they modified between v2021.3.27f1 and v2021.3.28f1. So I dont really reproduce the bug in v2021.3.28f1. Maybe codes somewhere else are modified too.

It would be nice if someone test it in v2021.3.28f1.

32. jperry_oddgames

jperry_oddgames

We're seeing this issue occur in 2022.3.4f1 despite the issue tracker suggesting it should be fixed. Device is an iPad Air (3rd generation), os version 15.6.1

I'm not sure the issue described in the tracker link is exactly what we're seeing. It appears the fix only concerns changes to orientation at runtime, whereas our issue occurs on launch and is not triggered by a call to
    Screen.orientation
    or similar api calls.

For clarification: We see our game incorrectly launch in Portrait orientation when the device is held in portrait despite only allowing landscape (left & right). This actually seems to match exactly what @kyubuns mentioned at the start of this thread. After launching, rotating the device to landscape will rotate the game orientation as expected and it is no longer able to enter portrait orientation.

@Alexey are you able to provide more insights; is this a separate bug?

33. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

> We're seeing this issue occur in 2022.3.4f1 despite the issue tracker suggesting it should be fixed. Device is an iPad Air (3rd generation), os version 15.6.1

huh, that's weird - it was fixed in *2022.3.5f1* - i wonder how it got misreported in web interface

jperry_oddgames likes this.
  34. jperry_oddgames

jperry_oddgames

@Alexey beautiful, that's the info I needed. I'll upgrade our Unity version accordingly and report back if it's still a problem after our next release. Thank you

35. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Hello, I tried it according to this method, and the screen turning error has indeed been reduced, but when opening the game → killing process extremely quickly and many times→ opening the game→killing process → opening the game, there is a probability of flashback, and there is a small probability that there is still a problem of vertical screen entering the open game

36. zhangfree111

zhangfree111

We meet this BUG in 2018.4.36f1,so how to fix this BUG in 2018 vesion.

37. zhangfree111

zhangfree111

It's impossible for us to upgrade engine version to 2021

38. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Upgrading is also useless, I just experimented with 2022.3.4f1 and the problem remains

39. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

I upgraded the project to 2022.3.4f1, but I quickly opened the game→killing process→ opening the game→killing proces, and it is still possible to open the game in portrait (my setting is LandscapeLeft)

40. KenDots

KenDots

Hello! We just tried upgrading from 2021.3.14f1 where we had this issue, to 2021.3.29f1 (it was supposed to be fixed in .28) and we're still able to get into a state where rotation is not correctly locked to landscape. Our QA has said it is supposedly more difficult to reproduce now, but they still can. Once they can, they can repeatedly rotate the phone between Landscape and Portrait.

41. jperry_oddgames

jperry_oddgames

As stated in the comment you quoted, the fix was actually in 2022.3.5f1. The issue tracker page incorrectly states that it was fixed in 2022.3.4f1

42. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

My hub is. cn, and the latest version is only available until 2022.3.4. Do I need to reinstall the. com hub

43. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

2022.3.6 should indeed fix this bug. I did not reproduce this bug after downloading 2022.3.6f1 using .comHUB

44. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Our QA found a new orientation problem. The application Build in 2022.3.6
    When entering the game from LandscapeLeft and executing the code orientation = Portrait, killing the process and entering the game again, it will appear that LandscapeLeft cannot be locked when the game is opened, and can be rotated at All. The environment is IOS16 IPHONE14PRO XCODE14.3.1

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  45. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

May I ask if the orientation BUG has been fixed after upgrading to 2022.3.6?

46. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

In iphone11 IOS16.3, I didn't reproduce this BUG

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  47. jperry_oddgames

jperry_oddgames

Our QA has now had a chance to test a build using 2022.3.5f1 and unfortunately the problem is still reproducible.
    After a fresh install, holding the device in portrait orientation and then opening the game will incorrectly open it in portrait. This occurs every time on a new install. Each subsequent launch however will correctly be forced into landscape mode.

While this is an improvement over the previous unity version, we'd still rather avoid having this bug be the first impression of our app for new users.

48. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Is there anyone using IOS native code to execute an orientation solution after the game is opened? Is it effective

49. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

It seems that after executing
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Screen.orientation = ScreenOrientation.AutoRotation;
    , killing the process and then quickly opening the application will cause the problem that the screen cannot be locked when it turns

My game set is LandscapeLeft

50. dorisdabao

dorisdabao

Do you use orientation = ScreenOrientation.AutoRotation;