Search Unity

Game map, based on real world location.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by rtnf141, Aug 31, 2021.

1. rtnf141

rtnf141

I want to make a game that is based on real world location. For starter, i'll try to model my own neighborhood. I already installed Blender and Unity. Where do i start? Should i create the world map entirely on Blender (then importing it entirely to Unity), or should i create each building on Blender, then combine it on Unity?

2. SgtLame

SgtLame

Hi,
    Well when it comes to world building, you should use Unity's terrain system to model the topography of the locations you want to create. There are some assets in the asset store that can import data from real world locations and convert it to unity terrain. Search for "real world" in the asset store, and narrow it to tools.
    When it comes to objects that will populate you terrains (houses, vehicles, trees, etc.), you can model them in Blender or any other 3d modeling software and import them into Unity. You can also use Unity's ProBuilder tool.
    Hope this will help. :)

3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Iterating is always best.

Make a plane, make a texture, get an overhead photo of your neighborhood and plop it down on the plane.

Now you have a guide and you can start experimenting with how to fill it in with detail.

Save often, use source control, organize things in a way that lets you find them again.