Search Unity

Game Makers' Club

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by nickavv, Feb 6, 2008.

1. nickavv

nickavv

I'm going to start a club at my school dedicated to Unity. I'll teach "students" (who will actually be my peers..) how to set up scenes in Unity, write Java scripts for Unity, model in Blender, rig characters and animate them, texture stuff, etc. I think I could get a good group of kids taking the class. Hopefully even enough to convince the school to buy about 5 licences of Unity (indie of course. The school has a pretty tight budget). What do you think? Will the average High School student join a Game Making club? We'll soon find out! :)

2. nm8shun

nm8shun

Where are you at? Sounds like a great idea. You might be able to tie it into your local chapter of SIGGRAPH or IDGA or something like that.....

3. Jessy

Jessy

I would have joined it.

4. nickavv

nickavv

I'm in Natick Massachusetts.

5. AaronC

AaronC

Good Stuff Nick, its a winner for sure
    AC

6. mcarr1973

mcarr1973

Hello,

I do believe it will work.

But why not help us? your online community as well, Im new and would love to share in the information but live in CA.

Can you do something online?

Sincerely,
    Michael

7. Trikster

Trikster

Moldorma,

That sounds great of what you're doing. I hope you will follow through and get that going.

To All,

That would be nice to see more sites dedicated to Unity. I have been test running Unity and I am liking it more and more. Just wish there are more tutorials, mainly videos, so I can learn from.

Regards,
    Tri

8. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

9. Jessy

Jessy

AngryAnt, I think those video tutorials are awesome, and they helped me out a lot when I was new to Unity, but there are SIX of them, and they are short. Definitely, more of those would be awesome.

Also, "interface" is spelled wrong on the description for the first video tutorial.

10. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

sounds cool. i've been to summer camps like that, and if i was like, 5-8 years older and living in your area, i would have joined. :wink:

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

And we've only had ONE conference ever so what do you expect? :) (notice that they're vids of conference presentation sessions) Since the conference last October we added, and populated with new material, the entire Resources area of our website, including two new tutorials, some new example projects, new assets, etc. Adding to that pile of material is a constant and ongoing process so keep an eye out for more and more over time.

And I'll look into that typo... DOH!

Moldorma or anyone else looking to start "clubs" like this: hit me up if you need help talking to the school about organizing these efforts or about buying product. Email, PM, whatever, I'm here to help and would love to do so in these cases.

Edit: and what's up Jake, Greenbrae huh? You're just a short hop north of me (I'm in SF).

12. Jessy

Jessy

Tom, I was actually talking about the videos from the second link. The Unite presentations were all great, but they were more about wider-reaching concepts than Unity IDE / practical development tutorials. What I'm talking about are lynda.com style videos (a category which those six fit into nicely, I think):

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modListing.asp?pid=267

Those ActionScript videos are very good, and Unity-centric ones in that style would be fantastic. My only gripe with the Lynda stuff is that you can't fast forward the online material, and I generally watch training videos at 2x speed, so please avoid that exact route. However, I actually think Unity would be perfectly suited to be covered by that exact website, so hey! Do whatever keeps it rollin'!

13. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Fair enough then, my bad. But my point in general still stands, we're trying to stay on top of "learning materials production" as evidenced by our Resources area effort including the new items that I mentioned. Folks have asked for more video tutorials along with more written tutorials, examples, etc. so we're trying to provide more of those (in addition to keeping what we do have current where appropriate).