Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Game lags significantly while light baking is "paused"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MoxenGames, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MoxenGames

MoxenGames

I have been digging for optimizations after building a scene and every play was super laggy... Well, today I spent some time decimating meshes for a significant boost, and left Unity running in the background, so it actually had time to finish the light baking process. Suddenly, my game ran blazing fast, until I changed some things and it started baking again.

My assumption was that when baking was "paused" there wouldn't be processes bogging down testing? But this doesn't appear to be true. The difference is night and day. When it's not done baking and it's "paused" during testing, it's super laggy, but once it's done it's super fast.

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

There's a tick for auto-generation, remove that if you don't want it to generate lighting.

You can always bake it when you're ready to do so.

3. MoxenGames

MoxenGames

Right, yeah, I know I can delay it... I'm just reporting something that might be unintended functionality. It doesn't appear anywhere, to my knowledge, that paused light baking costs a lot of resources. Seems unintuitive... you'd think it would be totally skipping the baking process let alone swamping the editor in some way.

4. xVergilx

xVergilx

I think those processes are still working in the background, just in "paused" state. That's wha't causing perfomance cost.