Search Unity

50% OFF Game Kit Controller: Engine with melee, weapons, vehicles, crafting & more! 3.75

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sr388, Sep 1, 2015.

?

What features/systems do you prefer to arrive sooner for next updates on GKC?

1. AI behaviors options, able to drive vehicles and fire turret weapons

25.6%
  2. Armor/cloth system: stats, damage resistances, etc… & character aspect customization (fallout)

29.9%
  3. Cover System and Climb system based on Breath of the wild and Assassins Creed

36.1%
  4. Online multiplayer (using mirror as first solution and include others later)

42.1%
  5. VR integration including 1st/3rd person and locked views

10.3%
  6. Full body awareness (FBA) to see player’s legs, body and arms in first person

18.4%
  7. More types of controls, similar to Diablo, MOBA & RTS and similar genres

10.7%
  8. More tools/creator wizards on the asset workflow (tell about them)

13.5%
  9. Integrations with other assets (tell about them)

16.7%
  10. More RPG/Scifi elements/mechanics (tell about them)

12.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sr388

sr388

Demos already uploaded. Here:

PC demos

Android demos

Like always, if you try them, tell me anything about it.

And the package for unity 2017 is being uploaded, next is 2018.

Regards.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    BryanO, Wetw0rx, neodotca and 3 others like this.
  2. Mighty183

Mighty183

Found a bug: Car can still jump when Can Jump is unchecked.

sr388 likes this.
  3. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

About dialogue, i integrated GKC with an asset called Plygame. comes with a dialogue and quest engine, a visual scripting component and a screen editor. I think you should look at it sr if only to see how they done it

heres a link to a tutorial on the dialogue which shows use of code etc might give a few idea's

http://plyoung.appspot.com/guides/getting-started-with-diaq-in-plygame.html

sr388 likes this.
  4. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

Finally, all the content of update 2.4c has been uploaded, including versions for 2017 and 2018. So in a couple of days, it should be released in the asset store.

Let's start to work in update 2.4d (with a little sleep before xd).

Thanks for telling me, it will be fixed quickly.

Thanks for telling me, I will take a look at it ;)

EDIT: Btw, I forgot to say that the 2.5D scene level for 2.4c was removed from this update, due to I prefer to delay it for the next update to add more elements to the scene, improve some elements and finish to addapt all the 3d features for the 2.5D movement.

Regards.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. sr388

sr388

Good news everyone.

Update 2.4c is already available in the asset store.

Yesterday I added the wheel selection menu for weapons (similar to the new doom), by opening and moving the mouse toward a weapon slot.

Today, I will add the weapons as inventory objects to manage them from there (to equip/unequip, add ammo, etc....).

Regards.

Wetw0rx, magique, tgamorris76 and 4 others like this.
  6. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

4 error after update, probably simple. any insight?
    Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Powers/powerProjectile.cs(72,17): error CS1501: No overload for method `killCharacter' takes `1' arguments

and

Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Powers/powerProjectile.cs(117,20): error CS1501: No overload for method `killCharacter' takes `1' arguments

and

Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Weapons/playerWeaponBullet.cs(73,17): error CS1501: No overload for method `killCharacter' takes `1' arguments

and

Assets/Game Kit Controller/Scripts/Weapons/playerWeaponBullet.cs(124,20): error CS1501: No overload for method `killCharacter' takes `1' arguments

7. 3DWizerd

3DWizerd

NM, Deleted scripts and re-imported.. All good

8. sr388

sr388

These scripts are not used anymore. Now, there is only one single projectile component (called projectile system), that manages all projectiles in the asset.

KillCharacter function was modified to send some variables to manage properly the damage when it is used.

You can remove playerWeaponBullet and powerProjectile scripts from the project. Check the prefabs of projectiles used for power and weapons (they are easy to find in the prefabs folder) to see if the component projectileSystem is attached to them instead of the other old components). Tell me if you find any problem with this.

EDIT: I have seen you have reimported the asset and this fixed the issue. Cool to know.

Regards.

9. zKici

zKici

Hey I purchased your asset a very long time ago, I was looking for the Gravity Twist Controller, I seem to have downloaded it in 2016, however I cannot find it on the asset store, is it now part of GKC?

Or was it always part of that,

Can I use only certain parts from GKC if so?

Thank you

10. sr388

sr388

Hi @zKici.

Yes, gravity twist controller became into GKC. None of the previous features was removed, it preserves all the previous systems, improving all of them and a lot has been added since them, turning the asset into an entire framework in constant progress.

I have planned to launch another asset with the original content of gravity twist controller, focusing only in the whole gravity system, with all the new improvements (and future that could be added into GKC), for those who prefer just a gravity controller.

Of course, this doesn't mean that the gravity system will be removed from GKC, none feature will be removed ever from GKC.

I would like to have it ready for the start of summer.

And yes, you can use only those parts you need from GKC, anything can be enabled and disabled (and if not, it will be added as well) throught inspector.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  11. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

EDITED:

When starting level and Jumping, how do I turn off the player floating up and down slowly with his arms moving about raising up in the air and without the slowmo thing?

Thanks

Peter

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  12. sr388

sr388

Hi @petercoleman

Mmmm I am not sure to know what you mean. Do you talk about the animation, or using the gravity system, or other situation?

About the slowmo, this is only enabled by input of the player or as example, it is configured in some enemies when you kill them with damage in the head, which explodes and activates the bullet time x seconds to back to the regular scale time.

Can you tell me more abou this or show an image/video?

Regards.

13. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Nice update sr388, as always plenty to play with :) ty

sr388 likes this.
  14. tgamorris76

tgamorris76

Just curious sr388, will my vehicles from 2.4b be ok with this update?

15. sr388

sr388

Thanks men, happy to hear that :D

They should be fine, for this update, in vehicles just a few options has been added, but nothing too relevant. If you set them as new prefabs, to remove the dependence from the original vehicles, when you import the new asset version, only the scripts should be updated and overwritten (but as always, a backup is very recommended, just in case).

Btw, I have been making progress with the option to store and manage weapons from the inventory and it is finished at 50-60%.

I will post some gifs in a few hours.

Regards.

16. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Ok so I'm gonna try to update Gkc and my unity version to 2018. Been waiting for a while for this and I'm hyped.
    Apart from all the awesome additions, legacy particles and support for monodevelop has been deprecated. We did gain a shader editor, procore, and even nested prefabs is on the horizon.
    Also, Unity is moving from object oriented programming to an entity components system. Overall performance should benfit from this and instantiating thousands of game objects will become easier and more performant. It's a great time to be a Unity dev, guys! They're giving us all the tools and it's beautiful.
    I've got a ton of vehicles and environment scenes complete so I'll let you know if everything survived the move. At this point, I've got and tried almost all the controllers and game kits available on the asset store and I'm married to GKC lol. Thanx for all that you do Sr388.

sr388, neodotca and Mark_01 like this.
  17. Mark_01

Mark_01

Same for me, I have a lot of game kits .. and I believe that GKC .. is very near the top now.
    Certainly for all the different systems so far, make GKC a great value and supporting the
    developer here helps every one all around. I know this should be in a review as well ... which I
    still have to do, some time... even tho I have 5 stars GKC in the Unity editor so it counts. :)

Once SR388 has put in melee and magic, I will add to all the glowing reviews for you. :)

The other thing that hit's me as i write this.. I did a search for " vendor " and am not sure if
    there is vendor in this kit ? The other question / suggestion would be for horse mounts as
    well. If i had the skill I would try to make GDK integrate with the horse riding system on the store here.

I do not mean this to try and be " pushy " and ask for features that have to be put off for a while.

I am hoping GKD can and will become the best all around best RPG / Space / and most any other
    kind of 3d game you could think of. ;)

18. troyomen

troyomen

Just tried to use this with my 3d model with this by clicking game kit controller at the top of the menu and inserting my character (which I purchased from the asset store. It is set to humanoid, but the result was only a moving character doing an idle animation and no other animations showing. No buttons are currently working even though this was uploaded to a new project. When trying to change the camera to fixed or free it still does the same thing which is just sitting there watching my character move on the terrain with only one animation. I am using unity 2017.4.2f2 The guide is hard to follow on this asset because instead of telling you what to do it is saying "if you want to do" rather then a step by step with side notes about alternatives. There seems to be no tutorials on youtube for a proper setup of a character as I can see. If you can help, please let me know what to try. Thank you.

19. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

Yes. When the game runs - at start I want the player to be standing at Idle, playing the idle animation where at the moment the first thing to bee seen when the game loads is the player jumping into the air with arms flailing in the air before floating back to ground to take up his idle pose. Screen shot of player in air at scene load start when run in editor attached showing the player in the air. Of course I want the player to be able to jump when the Jump key is used, but even when moving around in game if I jump the player has the same action of slowing down and his jump is unnatural being slowed down unduly influenced by gravity I guess :)

In fact I had this player jump prob last time I tried GCK some time ago and you actually pointed me to the solution in the settings I believe but cant find the old post here.

I have a couple of other questions if you can advise please?

1. Is it possible in any asset settings to set the default game display resolution in Gameplay editor as opposed to in the final published game. I want to user game players to start with medium settings for quality and screen resolution of around 1360x768, 60fps in Unjity Fantastic Mode and thats what I want to have in editor test run so I can test out the performance at those kind of settings as a default....

My main project to date has been developed in RFPS and I maintain a fps of 60fps throughout but with GCK I cant match that or anywhere near it at the moment so need to find some things I can change or understand the reasons for it if I am to be able to switch dev over to GCK or any other framework for that matter. Perhaps its just so bloated with stuff I perhaps don't need at least active when not needed. Is there any way we can disable/enable features needed on the fly? e.g. for example If the player say does not need a Jetpack and any supporting gravity features only at one location in a large game there's not much point in the system having to have them alive and draining performance perhaps unless and until they are required in any specific location or scenario of gameplay. Of course I don't know how GCK works internally, though I presume that if all features are applied to a player then they may all add to the performance level constantly throughout the whole of a game and gameplay session? Perhaps that is incorrect I don't know? Anyway In GCK I am averaging fps at somewhere around 30 to 60 but it is very varied in that range whereas my current RFPS project (exactly the same levels and content) maintains a much higher average of around 55 - 60fps consistently throughout.

My projects are large and complex mainly open world so a lot in view and quite a few characters often active at once. I also have not only default characters, enemies and other AI NPCs (civilians) in game, but additionally have Tactical Shooter AI integrated and actively managing enemies with more advanced AI too thus far with no performance hit there....

However I have a lot of other stuff already in game like Drive vehicles and such like but GCK has more possibilities in that area which I could utilise potentially. I just cant see me being able to keep the performance levels high enough at this time to make a viable but will give it a go.

Thank you.

Peter

:)

Attached Files:

sr388 likes this.
  20. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the time to reply, I was out of home most of the day with a very bad internet connection (but I was able to read you).

Cool, let us know any result from the project update.

Yeah, time to pass to visual studio, I didn't like too much monodevelop, but it works well most of time. Procore will be very useful to make new demo levels faster and easier.

The perfomance improvements looks really promising and I can't wait to try them.

You married with it and didn't invite to the father of the bride to the wedding?....Unacceptable....xd. Just kidding.

I am very happy you consider this asset as base for your prototypes and projects, thank you for that :)

You didn't review the asset yet? Shame..... haha, don't worry take your time, I appreciate a lot honest reviews, done once the asset has been tried in all its systems.

I can't wait to start with melee combat, though first, I need to get the new animations and remake the animator, which hopefully won't take too much, since I want to include them in the update 2.4d (current in process).

About the vendor, no, it is not added yet, but it is probably to be done for this update as well, once the weapons are managed throught inventory, the vendor system will start (along with the inventory for weapons, there is an option to keep managing the weapons like before, by the player weapons manager, without including them in the inventory, so you could choose what mode use).

The horse asset? You mean this? https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79902 I would like to integrate them too, once more of the current planned features are finished.

About suggest, never be afraid of it, no matter what, feel free to tell abou it. All of them are very considered.

Thanks again for the comments, @Wetw0rx and @Mark_01, really happy with all the feedback :)

Hi @troyomen.

It is possible that some process in the creation of the character didn't find the proper bone in the skeleton of the model (it can happen sometime, according to the hierarchy of the bones). Can you tell me if the console shows any message and what says? Also, like other times, I can make a test with you using teamviewer, to find and solve the issue quickly. If you want to make this test, tell me by PM to make the teamviewer session.

The documentation is in process and I will update it very soon (this weekend more content will be added to it), and will be improved, to cover new systems and new options added to previous features. Once this is done, I will start with the video tutorials, the objective is to cover every single aspect of the asset.

So, do you mean that when you use the input (or in this case, jump), the slow down action is activated too? I still not being sure about the issue (sorry for that, it is maybe I don't understand it properly). If you say that I told you about the jump some time ago, I will search into the forum to try to find what happened there.

Do you mean a quailty settings menu in game? Yeah I would like to add it, and more ingame options related to the player itself and elements in the game.

In those scenes you said, do you place all the elements of GKC of just the prefab of the character?

Something that I want to change in the asset are the materials of the meshes. I think it is one of the reasons why the perfomance with too much elements are not the best. I want to reduce the resources used by these materials (disable fancy options, since they are just placeholders), to get a better amount of frames.

So very soon, I wil start to change these materials, along with make new demos scene using probuilder and less materials.

The code itself is made to just call the necessary elements and in every update I find parts that can be improved too. Maybe the most expensive element in the asset right now could be the AI, due to the navmesh, but I have been workig on it and the code will be simplified too.

Another element could be vehicles, since to have a better feeling (like if another vehicle hits it, or a projectile or an explosion), its physics are not disabled if the player is not driving them (but the rest of the code which manages the input and similar is all disabled in that case), so due to physics management, these could take some resources too.

For example, if the player is not using the gravity power, the jetpack, the aim mode for weapons, the hide systems, etc.... all that code is not being used (most fo the code and functions called every frame in Update, FixedUpdate, etc... use bolleans and similar varaibles to make sure not execute not necessary code and a lot of functions use Time.time to avoid being called every frame, but for example, once every second or a different rate).

Another element that I want to change is to have all the systems in the same scene (at least for the standard demo). I will start to make different demo scenes where try different group of systems and avoid to have all the content in just one (since the asset is becoming bigger and bigger in number of systems and elements).

So yeah, I think that the cause is the combination of expensive materials and too much elements in the same scene (I think AI and vehicles could be the elements which needs more resources right now).

In a future, I want to integrate more AI solutions too, to get better AI perfomance (since I still learning in the AI field and maybe the current solution is not the best, but I want to work on that too).

In a matter of some weeks this will be changed, to make sure these are the main reason.

About the features of the player, yes, all of them can be enabled and disabled in every inspector, which everyone manages different aspects of him (powers, weapons, inventory, gravity, jetpack, grab objects, combat, etc...).

There is a component where all these features are located in a single inspector (called features manager in the GKC_Prefab inspector), where they can be enabled and disabled with just checkboxes, though I need to add new features that have been added in the last 3-4 updates (it wasn't been made yet before, due to the update 2.4c was brought forward, and some elements were delayed to 2.4d).

One of the objectives of the asset is to get a performance as good as possible, so you can be sure more tests and work for optimization and code improvements will come in next updates.

Regards.

21. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi sr388,

"So, do you mean that when you use the input (or in this case, jump), the slow down action is activated too? I still not being sure about the issue (sorry for that, it is maybe I don't understand it properly)." When level starts first thing the Player does without game user intervention is jump on the spot into the air before coming back to rest in his idle pose by default out of the box. Yes? That's what the screen shot I uploaded shows - the player in the air just after the scene loads, whereas The player should be at idle at game/scene/load/start unless the game designer or game scene would require otherwise. I have attached a further screen shot of what happens after the player jumps into the air at scene start - he then returns to the ground at idle, and Idle is what a player character would normally do in any game at scene load/start. Any time the player jumps he does so as if he is the weight of a feather is what I mean, and he does not have the same force, mass or weight as when he walks, runs or does anything else. When jump occurs as soon as the player leaves the ground his weight becomes different and he is like as if he is floating and his animations slow down too. I wanted to know what is causing this so I can turn the feature off or adjust so as to behave like a normal human when he is jumping.

When adding my player I am just adding the GCK prefab which includes all of its attachments as the default and have turned off the map that's all.

I have attached another screen shot of a scene which gives a small indication of the size or complexity. From this view you can only see about one third of the scene and much of the detail is turned off. The City in view is only part of it and the detail is not activated. I split scenes into Zones which contain much of their details and load and unload the zones on the fly so much of the scenes are always removed. Only what can be seen from any given point exists until the player moves on in the game and then the parts he has left behind are deactivated - if the player goes back in the game the reverse is done of course. Same for enemies and so on they are spawned or activated and deactivated as needed. Only things that are needed constantly throughout a scene are constantly in view. In the screen shot attached you can see the fps is around 40 and I can maintain around 60 usually or try to keep somewhere near that.

I have 22 scenes and about the same or more to add. Its a big game and lots of content. The project folder contains over one third of a million items at the moment and managing it all is a nightmare :) If I was to port it to GCK fully it would probably take many months.

With regard to the screen resolution I think the game with GCK is displaying at a very high setting and wanted to lower it a bit as a default for the game in editor and when published - given that a user can choose a higher setting when they launch the game via Unity.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt. No worries.

:)

Thanks

Peter

Attached Files:

22. sr388

sr388

Mmmm I think I know what is happening with the jump. You maybe are calling the jump action in the player, right?

And maybe the action is being called more than one time, like the jump key would be held. This, combined witht the option to slow the player fall (which is done by holding the jump key) is what is causing this.

This option can be disabled in the playerController inspector, in the Jump Settings part, in the option Hold Jump Slow Down Fall field:

upload_2018-5-25_1-17-1.png

Tell me if this works.

The system to manage the large city/level sounds very good (I understand it can be very difficult to do though). I can also understand the difficulty of move from one project based on a asset/controller to another.

With only the prefab of the player, maybe the issue is related with the materials used in the weapons. I will make tests with the player, maybe there is some part not properly optimized which could cause this issue. I will do this for the current update, as soon as I find anything about it, I will tell here.

Regards.

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. sr388

sr388

Btw, here some gifs about adding the weapons as inventory and the weapon wheel selection system.

In this example, the number of slots available for the player is 16, so he can store 8 weapons along with the previous content in the inventory (else, he could carry 16 weapons).​

inventory weapons.gif

Here, the player equips just one weapon, activating its mesh and setting its state weapon enabled to true. The triangle icon show those objects equipped.

inventory weapons2.gif

Here the player equips 4 weapons and changes between them with the weapon wheel menu.

inventory weapons4.gif

Finally here, he equips the sticky grenade launcher, which is in the same pocket that the assault rifle, so this is unquipped and the sticky grenade launcher is equipped. Also, the new weapons equipped are included in the weapon wheel.

inventory weapons5.gif

To use the weapons as inventory it follows the same process to create regular object, you just add them to the inventory list manager, which allows to create the prefabs in one step, and they are ready to be used. The inventory objects has another option to set if they are weapons or not. Also, the capture icon inventory allows to take captures of the weapon meshes to use them in the weapon wheel menu.

When the player picks them, they are added to the inventory as usual and there, the player can equip them, so they are activated (like before when the player picked a weapon) and added to the weapon wheel selection menu.

There are options to equip a weapon directly when they are picked and also, options to draw these weapons whey they are picked or when they are equipped.

Also, there is an icon in every inventory slot to show if the object is equipped or not.

Another important element is that the inventory weapons checks the pocket system, so if a weapon is equipped in a pocket previously used for another weapon (like carry a weapon in the upper leg), the previous weapon is unequipped and the new one equipped.

The weapon wheel is dynamic, so it is updated with the current weapons equiped (or activated in the player weapons manager). When is opened, you move the mouse towards the slot of the weapon you need to change and the players will draw the selected weapon. These slots are placed according to the number of weapons currently equipped.

It has also an option to draw the weapon automatically when a weapon is selected and the player wasn't using any weapon previously (the other option would be to change the weapon, but the player doesn't draw it).

There is also a dead zone for the mouse to move in the wheel, to avoid to select the closest weapon slot when the menu is just opened.

Another option added is the use of bullet time while the weapon wheel menu is activated, similar to doom 2016, to allow to the player to think what weapon will be the best option for the current enemy/situation.

Finally, if the player has not weapons activated/equipped, this wheel menu can't be activated

There are some WIP for these two systems, but the most important elements have been already added and working.

Of course, like I said the system is made to use the current inventory weapons, or the previous one, when the player just picks any weapon and this is directly enabled or disabled if it is dropped.

Here the video:

Also, I am thinking in make a horizontal group of slots in the inventory which will be used to drag and drop the weapons, to assign them as you want in the classical 0-9 keys (currently, the number keys are assigned and they don't change). Something simlar to deus ex (but without the different slots size, I would like to add that at some point, but it is a little tricky to add, at least, I haven't find the best way to do it).

Deus Ex Mankind Divided_Inventory.jpg

Regards.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  24. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

Clean update! Everything made it over to the new version flawlessly. Also, the jump to 2018 was clean but took forever to update all the shaders and scripts (nothing to do with GKC). After the wait, everything seems to be working perfectly. The only thing I had to rebuild, was the player which I always do anyways.

The inventory improvements and additions are really starting to shine and its exciting to have some inventory to store and move around. The UI alignment issue seems to be gone too :D YAY

Haven't tried the save/load feature yet but seeing the debug logs for them in the console was awesome to say the least. With this update, my project has almost become a viable sandbox with ships, hoverbikes, refuel and repair stations, AI enemies, some interesting locations and now a nice inventory mechanic to round it out.

I set up one of my larger scenes so that I could spawn with nothing then scattered loot and enemies all around and totally had a flashback of my Fallout3 modding days and a flood of gameplay ideas...

As always, I'll let you know if I run into any bugs but man GKC is really kicking ass and taking names these days.

Great job, bro!

sr388, Mark_01 and neodotca like this.
  25. neodotca

neodotca

Thank you for the day by day infos about the development, awesome job!

sr388 and Wetw0rx like this.
  26. Wetw0rx

Wetw0rx

I reset the references in the inspector for normal and heavy exhaust particles in the hovercraft controller and dragged their prefabs into the exhaust game object in my modded hovercraft prefab and poof new particles and no rebuild.
    Although a rebuild of all the hoverbikes wouldn't have been the end of the world, redoing the HUD for them can be gruelling.
    The point of this post is to highlight how clean this update is and even in a massive project like the one I got going, I've got zero exceptions in the console.
    Easy peazy.
    I'm off to go study Unity's recently released 3D game kit for a few days. Maybe there's something good/ useful in there.
    Cover me, I'm going in... o_O

sr388 likes this.
  27. sr388

sr388

Thanks for the report about the update @Wetw0rx, good to know everything went properly :)

Yeah, I like how the inventory is changing, getting more and more functions, can't wait to add the armor system.

And now that you mention, I would like to play again a little of fallout 3, there are some elements and mechanics that would be really interesting to bring to the asset.

And thanks again for this amazing feedback, it helps a lot :D

Cool, really happy to know it goes so well. Thanks again for telling me.

Abou the 3d game kit, it got my curious some weeks ago, I want to take a look at it too, maybe I could get some ideas for it (I always like to check all kind of games, trailers, gameplays, most of times, it helps a lot to think about new features and systems).

Thanks men. I really like to share all kind of progress, to know opinions or even get ideas or suggestions to add while they are in progress to improve them.

Regards.

Wetw0rx and Mark_01 like this.
  28. Joker1980

Joker1980

Been here since day one. Still waiting on swords and such. 2 years from now. Been here since day one. Still waiting on swords and such.

29. sr388

sr388

Hi @Joker1980.

I really apprecitate your support and trust on the asset on its early steps in the asset store.

I am really sorry for not being able to include swords yet, but you can be sure it is planned to do and the main element that has delayed this were the animations. But now, I have a person who will take care of them and it will allow me to work on these kind of systems (I have planned a dark souls combat style).

Also, another reason to not be included is that there were some elements and systems that I needed to add first, to make the main core of the asset and feel solid enough to work around it, and that moment is already reached.

So it is just a matter of a little more of time. First, I will add the new animations more used in a third person controller (like better strafe for walk, run and crouch, roll, sprint, swim, etc...) which will allow to have a better movement and control feeling over the character.

After that, when my budget is enough again, the animator artist will start with animations for combat, like attack with swords, protect with shield, combos, hit reactions, etc....

Regards.

30. neodotca

neodotca

A lightsaber would be cool, what about the animations for recharging the weapons, when do you plan on doing it?

tgamorris76 likes this.
  31. hopeful

hopeful

I was suspecting he'd do lightsabers too, as they'd be super easy to make out of primitives and still fit the sci-fi theme he has going. ;)

32. sr388

sr388

I want to start with the reload animation soon, though I need to think the best way to do this, since the current system uses IK to place player's arms, hold the weapons, aim, etc..., so a reload animation like that wouldn't be the best solution. So maybe it could need a procedural system to make an "animation" moving the player's hands throught a serie of waypoints to similate the recharge.

Of course, I would like to add animations to draw, hold, aim, etc...but for now, the animations that will be added will be the regular used in a third person.

Yeah, lightsabers are planned and are cool. The easy part is make their meshes, but to manage them as weapons, in the meaning of move them to attack, it needs animations (which I don't have yet, but they will come) or a waypoint system to simulate the animation.

So depeding of when the combat animations are added, maybe I will try the waypoint system for melee weapons.

Regards.

Mark_01, neodotca and Wetw0rx like this.
  33. sr388

sr388

Hi everyone.

Quick progress update.

The management of the weapons using the inventory is almost finished (just a little of polish here and there).

I have added a simple blur shader which is smoothly enabled and disabled in all the player menus ingame (like inventory, weapons wheel selection, map, etc...) and pause menu, to focus the player's eyes in these menus.

Also, I have added a sub list with slots to assign the weapons in the inventory to the key numbers of the keyboard, by dragging and dropping. This also is used for the weapons order if you use the mouse wheel or the action buttons to change to next and previous weapon.

If you don't use the drag and drop action for the weapons, when one of these are equipped, the slot for the key number assigned to that weapon is the first free found. Also, you can unequip any weapon by drag and drop it from the slot list or change its slot position for another.

Of course, this sub list can be disabled in the inspector if you dont' wan't to use it.

There are also a few options to select if a weapon is equipped automatically when it is picked or not, if the player draws a weapon when is equipped or not or he draws the next weaopn available when the current weapon that he is using is unequipped, and more similar configurations.

I still need to make some additions for the save system to store the info about the weapons properly (for example, the current ammo of a weapon in the inventory bank) and a couple more of elements, but that will be quick.

Another thing is tha the weapon wheel selection menu is a little more dynamic now, changing the size of the current slot selected and playing sounds by every slot. Also, it has a new option to make the player draw the weapon when a slot is selected, or wait to close the wheel menu and draw the last weapon slot selected.

Finally, these weapons can also be stored without problem in the inventory bank.

Here some gifs:

Here, the weapons which disappear are due to the weapon the player equips is in the same pocket that the other weapons that were previously equipped, so in that case, the previous weapon in that pocket is unequipped and the new one selected equipped.

inventory weapons improved2.gif

inventory weapons improved6.gif

inventory weapons improved12.gif

Here the video:

Maybe you will notice some stats in the botton side of the inventory menu. That will be where it will be show, for example, the money, experience remaining to the next level, total experience, skill points to use, etc....

Regards.

Mark_01, neodotca, Bob3000 and 2 others like this.
  34. Bob3000

Bob3000

Its good to see things are coming along nicely!
    Glad you make the inventory fullscreen vs what it was before, we modify it to fullscreen ourselves because it should be visually consistently moving from one category to another just like other recent AAA games. Weapon wheel is nice!.

As for the third person weapon switching animation, we locally try to totally disable it, because it just doesn't work for us, we only want to move the hand slightly, let the weapons fade in & out, that is how some of today's popular third person game do (doesn't try so hard to reach to the back & grab it, humanly impossible). Also we will not be showing 10 weapons on the back of the character, because our guy have a jetpack & whatnot.

Moving an IK bone from point A to B will not look natural, your waypoint system would have to work like a KeyFrame of an animation, you also need to lock the elbow (aka pole vector) so the whole arm doesn't out of whack.

I really hope that when the new animation is in, you don't delete/rename the existing bone rig, or else we will have to reskin/weight our guys (which took us a long time already).

As always, Excellent works!

neodotca and sr388 like this.
  35. neoshaman

neoshaman

sr388 likes this.
  36. sr388

sr388

Hi @Bob3000.

Thanks. Yeah, I will remake all the ingame menus to look better, show more relevant info and have more options, to be as customizable as possible to show/hide those elements that an user could need.

About the weapons, you are right, I don't like neither the current system with waypoints. It was made to try to replace animations to draw, but it is not as good as I would like. So like you said, this will be remade to make the regular action in many games where the weapon appears in the hand of the player and he moves both hands to a weapon drawn position.

And in a future, I want to add this kind of animations to draw and keep weapons, according to its position in the player's body.

Regarding to weapons in the back, there is an option in the weapons to hide their meshes when a weapon is kept (the smartphone tool which use the weapon system, has this option, like the player keeps it in his pocket).

What do you mean with bone rig? The skeleton hierachy of the model? This used to be the same for most of the humanoid 3d models, so besides some different bone orientation, it works the same for all of them. If you mean to something different, please tell me about it.

Never closed this forum so fast to play a video hahaha.

Thanks for telling me @neoshaman, love the videos of Mark Brown.

Btw, I will start soon to work on the first step to multiplayer: switch control between different characters in the same game (similar to resident evil revelations 2). The idea is to being able to control any number of characters and being give ordes to them (which is currently added since some time ago, but new kind orders will be included with this).

Also, this will allow to improve the AI, so it can help player with all kind of stuff, like store objects, pick and bring them, help with coop puzzles, etc...Another AI improvements will be a better avoidance of dynamic elements (I need to search more info for this), options to resurrect dead partners, etc...

Regards.

Mark_01 and neodotca like this.
  37. Bob3000

Bob3000

Yes the humanoid bones hierarchy, now it uses the Ethan skeleton, this rig is not the best but its functional fine. as long as you keep the bone numbers, names intact when introducing the new animations, so those of us that already have lots of ingame characters skin weighted won't have to redo. If you really have to use a new set of Skeletons, please keep this one as "Legacy" in GKC so we can still use it.

You are right about making adjustments to the future draw animations (third person), players don't mind weapons appear in hands as long as there is a little blending, we know it would have been nice to have realistic draw animations for each weapons, but when its not possible, we should avoid showing twisted/bugged movements as is now. Good call!

neodotca likes this.
  38. danreid70

danreid70

Has anyone added a UMA2 character to GKC as a player or AI character? I'm trying (trial and error, admittedly) but so far unsuccessful.

39. hopeful

hopeful

You are using the bone builder option, right? That's the part that's needed to attach UMA - which is a procedural character generator - to a character controller that was built to run a non-procedural character in the editor.

40. sr388

sr388

Mmmm I am not totally sure about what you mean for the ethan skeleton. Do you mean objects placed inside of him, like footsteps, combat triggers, weapons ,etc....?

The asset has a character creator wizard, so you can change the model of the player easily in a couple of clicks. These new models has the skeleton of those new models, including its own avatar for the animator and also, this character creator places all the necessary objects in their proper places. I am not sure if you talk about this or not.

And about weapons, yeah, the system to draw them will be changed for a better one, don't worry. Also, these changes are applied to all humaniod AI, since all the characters use the same components that the player uses.

Like @hopeful said (thanks for the faster answer), are you using the character creator wizard (located in the top bar of options of unity, in the field Game Kit Controller, or you are trying to configure it manually?

In the first case, does the console shows any message if you press play? I can make a test to make sure it works properly (if these models haven't a special skeleton hierarchy, they should work properly).

Btw, the weapons are already being loaded in the inventory throught the save system. Also, I have added a new option in the Inventory Capture Manager (this tool allows to take captures of the inventory objects using their meshes, to use them as icons in the inventory menu) with transparent backgrounds, so you can use these or opaque background color according to how you want to show them in the UI.

Regards.

Bob3000 likes this.
  41. danreid70

danreid70

Hey all - thanks for super fast response! @hopeful and @sr388!
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - no errors - just my own :)
    I tried the generating of bones on a UMA DCS character, then pulled that game object into the GKC player generator, and at first the UMA DCS character loads when I run it - but character flies into the sky, and no weapons are attached. When I try to move, it's like the character is positioned incorrectly and zooms all around the scene with no animation except for the idle animation when I stop trying to move (if I can see where it ended up).

I'm obviously doing something wrong or something unintended. :) Trying something new and mixing GKC with UMA just seems... so obvious! Like peanut butter and chocolate! :) I already have some pre-canned characters racing around and usable vehicles in a huge scene and it feels RIGHT! :) This kit (along with a few others) is definitely stepping up the game! Literally!

Any pointers to a good tutorial (MessyCoder and SecretAnorak are definitely my favorites, and once I get this character configured in GKC, I'll be poring over their UMA videos again -- but I'm stuck right now.

Even a quick step-by-step just to get a UMA character running in scene would rock! :) Is it that I can't use a dynamically created character at all (due to game object swapping and such during runtime), or... I'm missing something...

Again, thanks for your help all! This is by far the greatest developer community there is!

sr388 likes this.
  42. sr388

sr388

Thanks @danreid70 for your comment, I am really happy you find the asset useful so far :) (nice feedback btw).

Ok, I have tried the UMA2 asset and I have seen the skeleton hierarchy. It is a little different, due to it contains more elements which could make the function which search every necessary bone in the new player (Animator.GetBoneTransform), could make it assign the incorrect bones (though I need to make a test with one of its model and GKC, to make sure of it).

To solve this (and any related situation with any other kind of model), I will add an option to configure manually the bones of the model to assign them properly and place all the relevant elements in the correct places, to avoid any kind of problem. This will be included in the update 2.4d.

Regards.

Razmot and hopeful like this.
  43. Bob3000

Bob3000

Attached is an image of the existing Bones hierarchy in GKC. We are using your character creation tool & thats not a problem.
    As you can see in the picture, if you change the structures/naming convention of the existing bones, obviously our game character will have to reskin again using your new bones. Our characters, along with vehicles & weapons are all custom made, not re-using any of GKC's models. Only the underlying systems.

Do what you have to, but if possible, keep that skeleton rig in the picture in GKC in addition to your new ones, so we can salvage some old contents.

Attached Files:

• Rig.jpg
      Rig.jpg
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
  44. hopeful

hopeful

I'm going to guess ... but characters flying away suggest a physics problem, like colliders ... so maybe you are letting UMA generate a capsule (default behavior which can be turned off) and that is interfering with the GKC system?

45. hopeful

hopeful

If it's not too much trouble, please include the GKC's guesses as to the correct bones in the bone wizard. That could be useful troubleshooting, if needed, for anybody.

46. westryder907

westryder907

I have a question,

How do you replace the door meshes with custom meshes?

I'd like to replace the blocky looking heavy doors with something else to give my doors a different appearance.

Thank you!

47. westryder907

westryder907

Also I think I found a bug or maybe it works as intended but seems strange...

When I add a prefab door from the GKC prefabs my scene window locks up and I am unable to move or edit anything directly in the scene? To get around this I have to select a child of the door game object and I'm able to move the doors around then?

48. sr388

sr388

Yeah, that would be pretty much the regular skeleton structure in any other model.

Yeah, it could be two different colliders interacting. Anyway, I will try to start with these tests for UMA this week and at the same time, add the option for the manual assignation of bones for the character creator.

Sure, in fact, the ragdoll generatar shows the used bones of the current skeleton model when a character is created, so it will be something similar to that.

Except for the player, which has its own wizard to set a new model, the rest of elements of the asset are made to be very easy to replace its meshes. Most of them have a similar hierarchy structure, where all the 3d meshes are a child of the same parent, so you can locate and replace them quickly with your own.

upload_2018-5-29_0-58-24.png

For example, in this door, you can see the parent of every mesh door, which is the one moved to open/close it. Just need to place two different meshes (or any number, you can configure as much panels for a door as you need, including only one), and configure if the door is translated or rotated and these position/rotations.

Same is made for the rest of prefabs which contains 3d models.

In a future, more objects will have their own wizard system to replace easily their models, like vehicles.

None element in the asset is made to make that happen, does the console shows any message? Sounds like a possible configuration in the unity editor itself maybe. We can see that in teamviewer if you want, to take a quick look.

Regards.

hopeful likes this.
  49. westryder907

westryder907

Sure, I'd like to get these things ironed out! I've been holding off on a project until I could figure the custom doors out.

How would you like to do Teamviewer?

50. magique

magique

@sr388 I'm looking at GKC as a possible solution for our RPG game, but I want to replace the basic 3rd person controller portion with Combat Framework in order to have the melee combat, climbing, and other features. I want to use GKC primarily for all the additional features. Is it possible to replace the 3rd person controller in GKC without a major overhaul?