Search Unity

Game in the works - Anarchy Skies

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by nickz, Dec 30, 2014.

1. nickz

nickz

Hey all,
    I’d like to share a game I’ve been working on for quite some time. Its name is Anarchy Skies and it’s a multiplayer flight combat game in an alternate history Dieselpunk 1950s setting.

Key features include FPS style levels with plenty of obstacles and interesting landscapes, ramming other planes with melee weapons, and plane construction using individual components among others. Over time, I’ll be adding more features such as a campaign mode and player progression to name a few, but will be releasing the game before that. Right now, there is only one level scene. Hopefully the game will gain traction so we can continue development.

Progress has been set back a few times, due to changing art direction, team members, as well as changing the networking platform three times which led to basically recoding the game. However, things have settled now and I’m actually at a point where I can start providing frequent updates and accept registrations from whoever is interested in joining in on the closed beta that is planned in the near future. In order to make sure enough people are on simultaneously, I’m thinking about having a couple of closed beta weekends. What do you think? Then depending on how it goes, a longer beta period may follow.

The initial target platform is PC web browsers, then we’ll work on getting it to other platforms.

I’m open to any type of feedback or suggestions and look forward to make any improvements as requested!

If interested, please follow the game to get updates and sign up to the forum, social sites, etc. Or if you like to participate in the beta, enter your email at the Anarchy Skies website.
    Facebook | Twitter | Forum
    Here are some screenshots:

Whoever is interested in the backstory, here it is. I’m far from a good writer, which is why I’m looking for one :)

In the year 1958, a combination of natural phenomenon occurred coincidentally just days after US’s satellite answer to the Soviet Sputnik 1. A large portion of earth’s telecommunications were destroyed, there were mass blackouts as well as explosions on power plants and other critical structures. This caused a lot of confusion and finger pointing, effectively triggering a devastating nuclear attack of the major nations against each other.

What was left in the end was nothing but fragments of land, mountaintops and craters, all scattered over the face of the “new” planet. A dark, cold, radioactively polluted planet with few survivors.

You’ll join one of three factions in a 50s post-apocalyptic landscape where humans have adapted with elevated cities and aviation as the only form of transportation. Each faction has its own strengths, weaknesses, and agenda.

Thanks for reading!
    Nick

2. AgentParsec

AgentParsec

How are you on music?

3. nickz

nickz

Haven't done any music yet but I have someone on standby to compose music for this game.

4. puppeteer

puppeteer

I remember playing Crimson Skies back in the day. It was awesome, so another one in that vein would be great!

I can't comment on the gameplay as I haven't tried it, but the UI looks very fitting. If there is one thing I'd like to critique, it would be the overall lighting of the game, it's a bit too dark ( like old PlayStation games ). I personally prefer brighter colored worlds like Crimson Skies or Rogue Squadron (N64).

Keep up the good work!

5. nickz

nickz

Great feedback, thanks! I've actually gotten a couple of similar comments on the lighting. So my next screenshot will definitely show different lighting than this, and hopefully will be an improvement.

6. Karearea

Karearea

Looks great! Crimson Skies was a favourite of mine. Some interesting potential for fighting with unique aircraft layouts, sort of like a multiplayer, 3D Luftrausers.

Agree with the comments on lighting above, the scenario is pretty bleak so it would be nice for the environment to have some light to offset this.

Definitely looking forward to watching this develop.

Edit: Saw a few more screenshots on the main page of your homepage- that brightness looks much better. Sort of feel that the green plane blends into the background colour palette slightly, a more saturated/ high contrast palette for aircraft could improve this. I especially like the twilight shot, it really conveys a sort of fallen post-nuclear beauty.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  7. nickz

nickz

Agree on the contrast, as sometimes the plane does blend into the background. Many thanks.
    Happy New Year everyone!

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I actually like the overall tone and saturation you've established but I agree the contrast is whats off - and possibly adding additional lighting effects and highlight elements would bring it into zen. :)

Your art style is nice. Keep it up.

9. nickz

nickz

Thanks. So everyone agrees on the contrast. Any recommendations on how to go about adjusting it would be helpful. I tried some of the contrast image effects but not satisfied with the results. I'll play around with the global fog, the sun, as well as toning up the many scattered lights located near the building structures.

10. nickz

nickz

Here's an update after changing some settings. This is without adjusting any lights or re-baking, something I still need to do. The things that I changed compared to the previous screenshot were:
    Removed Fog
    Modified Global Fog Settings
    Replaced regular water with Water4
    Replaced skybox
    Added Tonemapping (this is what made a big difference in contrast)
    Added Sun Shafts
    Added Fast Bloom

Next up I need to adjust lights and re-bake, but this will take time to get it right. Any feedback would be appreciated :)

Karearea likes this.
  11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This kind of confused me so I looked it up and realized - pro feature - no wonder why I haven't researched it more.

My opinion is subjective but - very nice improvements from the first post til now - even without the adjusted lights and bakes.

12. puppeteer

puppeteer

Wow this looks soooo much better! You can see the different parts of the world more distinctly than before. I think now it comes down to how much detail you can cram into the maps.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. nickz

nickz

Thanks, wouldn't have done it without great feedback!

14. nickz

nickz

Here's a video of how a plane is built in the Hangar. It's a little rough right now but will definitely get polished up.

15. nickz

nickz

There has been some progress on the art side of things, not as much in the development. I am looking for someone with very good Unity networking experience. If anyone knows someone please inform me.