Search Unity

GAME IDEAS!

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by matthewww_s, Jan 17, 2015.

1. matthewww_s

matthewww_s

POST ALL GAME IDEAS :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

3. iKonrad

iKonrad

Slenderman. Go for it

zoran404 and BrandyStarbrite like this.
  4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Sword Art Online MMORPG, because it totally won't get you sued. Or made fun of.

zoran404 and Ryiah like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A hero goes on a journey to save the world from an evil villain. The hero faces multiple challenges of increasing difficulty, learning new skills and abilities as he/she goes. The game ends in a showdown with the final villain, in which the hero must use all their skills to defeat the villain. Just enough loose ends are left over to allow for a money spinning sequel.

Oh wait, that's been done before.

mathiasj, Not_Sure and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Nope, sound original to me. But, you forgot the ultimate plot twist: the bad guy kidnaps the hero's love interest multiple times along the way! That'll surely make people gasp.

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

On a more serious note I always thought a four dimensional game would be fun, if implemented right.

Not_Sure likes this.
  8. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Dragon goes on a journey to save the knight from a princess, meets a mentor that makes him weaker, eats the love of his life, saves the villain...

Intergalactic Ants from Mars that want to colonize earth : Home Makeover editition

Ninja Grandparents

9. Pixelee

Pixelee

A game where dragons capture different types of people and teach them moves but the people can't learn more than 4 moves. Dwarfs can not learn fly because they simply are to short.

mathiasj, GarBenjamin and elmar1028 like this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The story climaxes in Dragon blows up the world? I'd play that game.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  11. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

I was actually thinking on writing that but... a reversed heroes journey only feels a bit more fun then a true heroes journey... maybe he gets depressed, become so fat from eating cakes that he cause the planet to leave its orbit, collide with a planet and ricochet into the sun?

Another game:
    Bumblebee - A adventure that follow our favorite mutant, hairy, black & yellow dwarf with wings that defy gravity! :p Move over Tinkerbell, your time is over!

12. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Okay I see people are having fun with this so let's see... looks across living room. ah! Here you go...

The transformer on the pole with the line feeding your power panel was struck by lightning. This created a huge surge of energy which the tv received most of. Somehow this massive amount of energy did not simply fry the tv; instead it brought it to life. You are this tv.

You hear sounds coming from outside your home. Your first task is to escape so you can explore outside. This involves sneaking past the humans and family dog. The dad simply wants you back on the stand plugged in so he can watch sports and news. The mom wants to watch her soaps. The kids want to play video games. The dog just wants to chew on you.

Once outside your second task is to explore. Simply making it several blocks down the road while avoiding the fellas driving by who yell out "hey there's a free tv" and try to put you in the back of their pickup truck. The teenagers throw rocks at you thinking it would be very cool to crack your screen. Fortunately, the surge of electrical energy that brought you life has also powered up your power cord. It now serves as a lightning whip which you can control the intensity. The longer you hold the attack button/key the more juice builds up. A quick tap simply stings. A little more knocks normal opponents out for several seconds. Fully charged obliterates normal opponents.
    Make it through several city blocks and you have completed this area. Near the end of the last block you pass a house with a large window. Through it you watch a commercial playing on a large slave... er tv. It shows a nearby business with dozens of tvs on display.

Area 3. By this time the local authorities have been alerted. Police show up to investigate. Your mission now is to evade police and every other obstacle while you make your way to Teddy's TV Tation.

Area 4. The government has found out. They are very interested in you. Military and MIB show up. Your goal is to empower each tv. You cannot truly give them life like you have but you can juice them enough to be able to follow simple commands as well as float through the air the way you do. It is time to build your army. Empower each tv before you are captured.

Area 5. The Rebellion. With your comrades beside you it is time to leave the tv store and capture one of the scientists out front. They may be able to help you to bring yiur comrades fully to life. Indeed now you are beginning to consider the possibility of freeing all tvs everywhere.

Okay that should be enough to get you started.

13. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

"Cats on Donuts in a Candy Galaxy" - You're welcome.
    Gigi

samnarain, HolBol and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  14. wccrawford

wccrawford

... I actually like that idea. lol Kind of Mario Galaxy, but with cats and candy. I don't see how it could go wrong.

AndrewGrayGames and Gigiwoo like this.
  15. goat

goat

Game idea: gamer posts their ideal as input to your game and your game automagically creates that game. End of professional competition really.

16. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

And a challenge on top of that, considering that the fourth dimension is time. Imagine being able to retroactively change things and have them affect you in future. :D

17. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is cool too. Make it an open world sandbox with paradox. Now you have some interesting mechanics.

I was actually considering a 4D playing world. Left, up, forward and through. Something like putting on the one ring. But being able to dynamically slide through multiple plains of existence.

18. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Well, the forth dimension is time. I think what you mean is Non-Euclidean geometry. Antichamber played with this concept. There was also a quite interesting proof of concept for a mod that plays with parallel universes. It's called Dual Reality. Too bad the project died. :(

19. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I am not talking about non-Euclidean geometry (but non-elucidean could be fun too). I'm referring to n-dimensional space. As a favour to mere mortals who are used to working in 3 dimensional space, I would suggest only moving to 4 dimensions. This is compounded by the fact that you have to display the whole thing on a 2 dimensional screen.

Your talking to a chemical engineer. We define dimensions as whatever we want them to be. Time is commonly referred to as a fourth dimension. But its not the only thing that can be classified as the forth dimension. It just becomes really challenging to display higher numbers of dimensions in a meaningful way.

20. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

How about a war-themed, class-based crab simulator?

AndrewGrayGames and Kiwasi like this.
  21. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

@BoredMormon
    I am confused. When you say "[...] being able to slide through multiple planes of existence", I don't see anything special or 4 dimensional about it, just multiple 3 dimensional worlds. Your typical parallel universe stuff.

When I think of 4 dimensional things, I either think of "4th dimension = time" or the 4 dimensional euclidean space. The former would be really cool in a game (if done correctly), while the latter one would be f*****g amazing.

So please tell me more about what exactly you mean. I'm curious. :)

22. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I was thinking four dimensional Euclidean space. Think replacing every Vector3 with a Vector4.

Originally it was a bit of a facetious idea. Actually implementing this would be a nightmare in Unity. You would have to rewrite every method that uses a Vector3 to use a Vector4. Vector3 is at the heart of Transform, PhysX, the render pipe line, nav mesh and just about every other Unity system. So you would end up rewriting the entire engine. This is all before you could build a prototype.

And just imagine the screams from your artist when you ask them to produce a 4D model.

However the more I think about it the more I wonder if it actually is viable. You could do it by splitting the fourth dimension (I'm going to call it w) up into a series of planes. Put each collider on a separate layer depending on what its w value is. Have layer based collision detection set up so that only collisions only occur between layers with similar w values.

You could render the current w layer you are on, plus a couple either side. Maybe using faded alpha channels. Or tint them matrix style. You could build terrain with 3D Perlin noise, so the land changes smoothly between each w layer, but the extreme ends could be dramatically different.

The basic premise even writes itself. Angels versus demons. Angels are restricted to high w planes, demons to low w planes. Neither can interact directly with each other. But they can both interact with the human plane in the middle. That means the battle can only be carried out through human intermediaries. Add a hero who has the ability to traverse multiple planes and you just about have a game.

It might be time for a prototype...

23. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I did see a platformer that relied on time travel and interacting with your past self as a key mechanic. There were a bunch of time machines, and each time you touched one the level reset, and your past self went and did what you had just done. You had to then use your past self to get to the exit. It made for some interesting gameplay. You had to anticipate where your future self would need to be.

And of course jumping on your own head to reach something up high was just fun.

24. randomperson42

randomperson42

ALL GAME IDEAS :)

25. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

OP solved. Mods, please close this thread.

:)

26. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

You wouldn't mind if I take this idea for later use, would you? It has serious, diabetes-inducing, potential.

This one too, only with less diabetes.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  27. Philip-Rowlands

Philip-Rowlands

NOMG h@x! ur ST33L1NG mIy IDEAHH!!!111!!!1!! :mad:
    *Pulls a level and an entire army of crabs lands on the cat*

I really need to get back to work.

28. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

You might have actually stumbled on to something even more awesome there.

Ditto.

Gigiwoo likes this.
  29. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Cat's on doughnuts? That's ok for kids maybe....

but Cat Defending a Box from an Armadillo.... now THAT's a game anyone can relate to.

30. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

You used the word Candy...

SUED BY KING DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT!

31. Serinx

Serinx

Going with the time travel ideas...

You are the mayor of a city, or the president or something. The twist is you are an oracle and can see into the future, you can see what would happen if you made certain decisions.

examples:
    What would happen in 5 years if I upped the taxes to 50%?
    What would happen if I started a war with this country?
    What would happen if I put funding into research into teleportation, would it be successful or a massive waste of money?

The game would actually run the events and show you what will happen. You will have several decisions to make per turn, and you will only be able to predict the future based on your first decision.

Haven't put much thought into it, but I'd like to play that game :)

32. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

Uh, I'm part of a team doing that.

33. wccrawford

wccrawford

And they're totally not making fun of you for it.

Kiwasi and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  34. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

35. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

Sued for?.... Right now it's really just an idea more than anything. We're not planning on making any money off of anything unless they actually do make us an official team. They can't sue us for using the idea, either, that's like getting sued for drawing fan art of it.

36. wccrawford

wccrawford

Actually, they can sue for *anything*. They might not win, but they can still take you to court.

As for "fan art", it violates copyright, even if you don't make money from it. So they'd win.

Usually it doesn't get to court, though. Once a lawyer sends a letter detailing what I've just said, and what they'll sue for, most people just give up and drop the project.

37. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Sued for both copyright and trademark infringement. Sort of like what happened to the guys who tried a top-to-bottom remake of Chrono Trigger. It's not your intellectual property. But, I'm not a lawyer, and the "its just an idea" thing suggests to me it's another dream project that will fail. So, I look forward to your proving me wrong.

38. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

I actually didn't think this project would work from day one, not because of copyright, but because the team is so disconnected. There's about 3 people who actually work on it, and I'm not one of them. But still. Maybe one day a REAL sao game that's a full-on mmo, more like the idea of the game in the show rsther than just the show as a game will come out...

39. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Willing to bet your livelihood on it? Copyright, trademark, and patent law is EXTREMELY complex, and they ABSOLUTELY can sue you, whether you're making money or not. Fan art is not protected - it's just that most companies consider it part of free publicity, marketing, and community building. If I were making an MMORPG for a popular anime series, without permission, I would EXPECT to get sued back to the stone ages.

Gigi

Ryiah, DanSuperGP and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  40. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Look, while the original "make fun of SAO MMORPG projects" thing was meant mostly in jest, its things like this that's the reason some among us - especially me - actually do make fun of them.

Generally with these fan projects that get what some interpret as 'hate', the "developers"/idea guys are a group of people who enjoy a given work but who've never actually tried to build anything else to get a foundation to build even a crappy work, let alone something as complex and technically demanding as a MMORPG. As someone who's actually written three crappy games, I know better than to touch a MMORPG project at my current level, and with the resources that I can get. On a team with no cohesion, it stands not a chance in hell of ever happening.

I get that people like it; I have the manga for SAO, and it's great! How about taking some of the general ideas of Sword Art Online and using those in a smaller project? A game about a bunch of gamers getting stuck in a game can go all sorts of cool directions, and most of those directions are just as compelling as those in Aincrad. Why not give that a shot?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  41. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

People are ambitious, that's it really.

Anyway, this is off-topic.

42. wccrawford

wccrawford

Only slightly off-topic, since it's a good example of what *not* to pick for a game idea.

Everyone has some favorite series that they'd love to see get more attention, or they'd love to play around in more. That's the basis of fan art, and when it's limited to just some drawings, companies don't really mind.

If you start to get more complex, a book, a game, a t-shirt, then they start to get antsy and call up the lawyers.

For a first project, you should start with something a lot less complex anyhow. Nobody writes a symphony or trilogy as their first music or novel, and nobody writes an MMO as their first game. (I know. I got roped into one. It's just not practical.)

The best first ideas are remakes of the classics... Pong, Tetris, PacMan, Frogger, Match-3, Platformer, etc etc.

DanSuperGP and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  43. Heu

Heu

ALL GAME IDEAS

44. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Sorry if it's off-topic, but well, it's just an idea. Simplest idea. Can I try to make money creating a Frogger remake? Or they can sue me?

45. wccrawford

wccrawford

It depends on how close to the original (or the remakes) that you get. You'd need to ask a lawyer to be sure.

In general, you can't copyright mechanics, and they aren't patented. (Very few game mechanics are patented, but there are a few.) You can copyright the graphics and the entire game, though.

In general, I recommend remaking the classics for *learning* purposes. Then come up with your own ideas and sell those.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

46. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

I see. Thank you very much for the kind answer. Now I've got to think about something ;)

47. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Like "Crossy Road?" Which is getting trumpeted by Unity on the blog right now because they made over a million dollars using Unity Ads?

48. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Well, if they made it, I can make it too. But I'm an artist and I haven't program skill. I've never created an entire game working. I have no idea how to build for mobile. But the mechanics seems simple. I use Playmaker and I want to realize even a simpler game. With 2d sprites and bird's eye view.

49. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

If you are an artist, you should have no problem making it distinctively yours enough that nobody will be able to say you violated the copyright.

Gatto_matto likes this.
  50. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Code has always been a strange one with respect to copyright. Given the same task to complete, with no colaboration, two programmers can produce nearly identical code. For this reason many countries do not extend full IP protection to code.

If somebody can prove you hacked their game and stole code you are in trouble. But there is generally no legal recourse if you arrive at a solution that does the same job independently.