Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Idea That I can not make come true cause I suck at game designing

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Goldilocks_3bears, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Goldilocks_3bears

Goldilocks_3bears

Hi - Hello, this is going be one of those awkward posts of where I either make a idiot of myself and angry a lot of people or confuse them or just embarrass myself. But, I have this game idea in which you can make a open world, RPG, zombie game. In which you can create your character's looks, stats, and skills then from their you can advance upon your stats by your in game decisions and same would go for your skills. Along with that you would be able to capture and create pets, find/create your own fortress from the zombies, cook, learn medicine, garden, etc. Plus, a lot of other things that I can not fit into this box but coming to the reason why I am posting this is that I can not design a game worth anyone time to play, even it is just a basic one. So, I am looking for a game designer that would be interested in designing a game like this. I thank anyone who took their time to read my ramblings.
    ~ Goldilocks_3bears

2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

If you want a job done right, got to do it yourself.

Or have money.

I like the pets part of the idea. The rest is vague.

BrandyStarbrite and RavenOfCode like this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Either learn game design through practice and study or give me $65,000 a year.

4. InstinctDevs

InstinctDevs

I can make the game for you if you want but it'll cost you $50000.
    30% advance.
    Message me if you want to do this.

Thanks

PolyMad likes this.
  5. stormred1236

stormred1236

It doesn't have to be good right away! You can always try things out and just go with what feels the most fun, plus there's a lot of resources out there to learn, I'm sure you're not as bad as you might think! It does sound like it could be a really fun game, too!

Dannohawk and Teila like this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There are no stupid questions in game development. Being angry is a choice. If it's not a choice, you can't do game development properly. So you have to choose if you will be patient or angry. Embarrassment is illogical. Here, it's about logic. So we don't care about any of what you just said. Nor should you.

You are not going to do this. Accepting that is a really good start. In a year you could do this. But what you're asking for is not built in, not sufficiently covered enough by the asset store and is hard for a skilled and experienced game developer to achieve correctly.

So my advice is to head to https://unity3d.com/learn and find out how far you can get. If you can't get far, or you don't have an interest in getting far, then at least you know. If by chance, you do get far... then just maybe in a year, that little game idea might gain traction. Far more likely, you find you didn't want to make that but are having fun making something else in Unity. It all starts at https://unity3d.com/learn

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Also can you guys not troll the newcomers? I'll hit you with a digital stick, and that's a threat of doom for sure. He's new not trying to be evil or anything :)

SparrowGS, rubble1, Dannohawk and 7 others like this.
  8. Teila

Teila

Dreams are good. Ideas are good. But you have to have the skills to make those dreams come true or hire someone else to do it. As Hippocoder says, go learn. Try a Udemy class. They cost very little and have courses that cover many different types of games. I highly recommend these for beginners...and either before or after that, the fabulous Unity Learn section with all their great tutorials and even game templates you can download for free from the asset store.

Every person here started with an idea and a dream. Some of us are still learning, some are finally implementing and some have published games. No reason you cannot do the same. As I tell my kids, you have to climb the steps of that pyramid because there is no teleport function in life that takes you immediately to the top.

Good luck to you and do not be afraid to ask for help on the forums as you embark on your great learning adventure. :) It will be worth the effort. Even if you never finish your dream game, you are still learning new skills and one never knows what you might do with that new knowledge. :)

Ryiah, stormred1236 and hippocoder like this.
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Sounds like a generic survival zombie rpg game. I'm sure you can find tutorials on rpgs and survival games that can help you. There are also some frameworks for either I've seen available on the Asset Store you could consider.

10. yonson_chappers

yonson_chappers

There is an excellent udemy couse on game design for unity that I did pm me if you want the details. At the end of that you'll have a good grounding in everything you want to do. Don't hire someone to make it for you, they very rarely do a good job as they won't have the passion for the project that you do. What will happen is you'll run into stumbling blocks. When this happens hire in people to do a specifox task e.g. modelling the world or handling the gui etc and slowly build it that way. One very important step though is to build iteratively. Get to a working deno as soon as possible you'll learn much more from that than anything else and it allows you to showcase your work and possibly look for investment

11. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Well, after 5 good months, you probably learned, all sorts of cool game
    making stuff. 2d art, 3d modelling, some scripting etc.

I wish you many blessings, in your game project.
    And hopefully, we can get to play your games, one day.:)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  12. BoredBoredBored

BoredBoredBored

Maybe there should be a forum for 'Games that I'd like to play, but know that I'm not going to successfully create myself'. If you have what you think its a great idea for a game, but accept that you aren't going to make money from it, you might as well post it and hope that someone will develop it so that you can at least enjoy playing it. Maybe you'll even get a free copy.

Such a forum would provide other benefits for game developers, such as market feedback. Statistics about games sold only tell you about customers who like those games. There are other would-be customers out there that aren't heard from because the games they want aren't on the market. Maybe there's a big market for games involving pets or plants with magic powers, or something else that typical gamers don't think about.

For myself, I'd like a single-person strategy game with deeper gameplay than the ones on the market. Game designers seem stuck on the 4x model of Civilization, which is badly flawed, yet they continue with those same flaws.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think really it's up to you to prove your design is better than the 4x design, so go right ahead and do that. You don't need a forum for it. Plus developers make the absolute worst kind of gamer.

14. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Your game is way more general/generic/vague then what you think your ideas are, like many said. (No hate! I agree with @hippocoder that you guys are a bit harsh on him)

What you need to start doing is this,
    If you want to be purely a designer and hire/team up with others who can code and do graphics you need to start writing your game down on paper, slowly but surely you will start adding depth to each mechanic as you start visualizing how it's combined with the rest of the game.

to give an example on your idea,
    • What does the world look like?
    • What does feel like?
    • What classes do you have in this world? (not warrior, mage, I'm talking lower/middle/upper class citizens)
    • What occupations are there to be had in this world? (you get the point about the world, get it immersive, even on paper, you don't need fancy particle effects for that!)
    • What are the RPG elements, how does the combat mechanic work?, is there magic in this world?(if so - set your self up with some logic rules for the magic system)
    • what are the stats? just health/stamina/mana(if there's magic)
    • what are the "decisions"? some form of lore comes into mind here, what is it? be it the "main quest line" that leads you character though the world or a random side-event
    • how does the pets work? do they require me feeding them? housing them? do they fight for me?

Start talking to the people in your life about this world, (if they "don't like talking about video games" you can still use them for the "world feel" like i've said before, just tell them it's a book or something, haha) they will both help you get ideas, even if they just tell you stuff that barely makes sense just to make you go away, that sometimes leads to you coming up with a solution based off the nonsense they've said.

one day they'll start asking you to show them more more, it doesn't happen over night.

Incase you don't wanna hire/team up with others do as @Joe-Censored suggested with youtube tutorials and such to get you started with basic stuff, this will not be your first solo project and even if you are gonna design a game and make someone make it, it's recommended to get some experience with simpler stuff in general, doesn't matter in what, you'll get it done much faster, with less frustrations during it and with a better product in the end.
    I don't recall any limit on the posts here, so stop being lazy!
    I do realize a wall of text makes people skip it some times but you gotta get more in-depth than this.

Ryiah likes this.