Search Unity

Game Foundation Suggestions

Discussion in 'Game Foundation' started by RaadAldalaq, Mar 1, 2021.

1. RaadAldalaq

RaadAldalaq

Hello,

after using the Game Foundation package for a bit I have a few suggestions that can make life easier.

• Currently properties are tied to the item they were defined on, it would be nice if we could create `Templates` of property definitions for an inventory item type. This way based on the item/id/tag we can ensure some form of type safety while still keeping the agnostic property list, for example
      • If I'm defining an item A with properties health, ui header, ui description and I have item B with the same properties and those 2 items are of the same "Type" in my game, then I would just like to get the properties model of that "Type" instead of having to keep track of ids and trying to see if they exist or not. (this would be a separate table where you define PropertyModels or something similar and you attach them to the items, could be a drop down or some other form of linking)
    • Properties are great, but they are currently limited in terms of extensibility, I think the thing that is good about the package is the data persistence layer is pretty game agnostic, and I think if you follow the same level of extensibility for properties it would make this package much easier to work with (sometimes you might want to use other properties/define your own types). This seems like a trickier change as you implemented properties using an Enum to ID the property type, but it's something that I believe is a bit lacking right now, you can't extend the current definitions and you have to do hacks (I think not making assumptions would be the goal here) this would allow users to implement for example `Addressables` or direct references as opposed to assuming assets will come from resources.
    • Editor Windows are currently internal, which makes it hard to do custom logic for opening multiple windows (you had this previously but changed it to be a menu item per window which I think is ok but definitely would be easier to edit the configs in a single window that has tabs.)

erika_d and richj_unity like this.
  2. richj_unity

richj_unity

Unity Technologies

We do appreciate and consider user feedback. I've forwarded this to the rest of the team. Thanks!

One thing I will say is that built-in support for Addressables is already in the works (I can't give a timeline of when that will be released, unfortunately).

saskenergy likes this.
  3. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Like storeview prefab inventoryview prefab will be helpful too, i tried to code it myself but could not access some internal properties out of package assembly

4. metiscoda

metiscoda

There is an inventory item hud prefab in the prefabs and samples that should help
    Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 12.30.18 PM.png

5. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

thanks for answer but i meant full inventory prefab like store prefab.