Search Unity

Question Game Foundation + Economy. Can they play together?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by soleron, Feb 3, 2022.

1. soleron

soleron

Eristen likes this.
  2. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Soleron,

Thanks for your question.

My guidance would be to steer you towards Economy. It is part of the Gaming Services suite of managed products.

Economy can be used in isolation, but it is tightly integrated with Cloud Save, Cloud Code, Analytics etc.. They can work together as a suite of game backend services, making it easier to build and run your game.

Whilst Game Foundation offered similar features to Economy, we are focussing our efforts on Economy and Gaming Services and as such, this is where you will see more rapid evolution of features and capabilities.

3. soleron

soleron

Thank you for your response.

I am interested in the features available on Game Foundation as my understanding is that many of them do not exist in Economy and have to be created from scratch.

I am talking about high level features such as:

upload_2022-2-4_17-32-25.png

To my understanding, Economy offers low level features. More like creating a database of the various items/objects, and not tools that help manage them such as wallets, inventories etc.

Is that correct?

Game_Taco likes this.
  4. Laurie-Unity

Laurie-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Soleron,

Thanks for clarifying your request, I see where you are coming from now.

Game Foundation does contain some high level prefabs that don't have an equivalent in the Economy samples yet. The Economy system provides the backend database, API methods and an interface for managing your Economy in the Unity Dashboard. Game Foundation doesn't provide a server authoritative backend, but it does contain some front end tooling and prefabs to help get you started.

I can see from one of your other posts that you have found Gaming Operations Samples, I hope you find them helpful. We are building more samples and I'll pass on your comments regarding Game Foundation so we can take that into account.

As for whether you can use Game Foundation with Economy, there is mention in the Persistence and Live Ops section of the Game Foundation Architecture documentation. But, I've not tested this or seen any examples of Game Foundation being used with Economy Beta backend. I'll investigate and let you know what I find.

Eristen and soleron like this.
  5. soleron

soleron

Thank you @Laurie-Unity

We are doing something simple yet a bit more complex than the average game.
    That is why any help we get to reduce the amount of code we need to build from scratch is a great help.

Eristen likes this.