Search Unity

Game file size

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by EndBoss, Aug 30, 2005.

1. EndBoss

EndBoss

Assuming most games made with Unity will use the digital distribution model, I noticed the file size for Gooball was 88MB! Downloadable/independent games found on sites such as www.shockwave.com, www.realarcade.com, and www.bigfishgames.com average about 5-20MB in size. The growth of broadband has increased allot but 88MB seems a bit extreme for the casual gamer.

So I was wondering is it the 3d engine/exe a large percent of the game? Or is there just allot of large image files, 3d assets, audio or cutscenes in gooball?

2. klindeman

klindeman

Mostly game assets. If I remember correctly building a blank scene results in an application ~ 5MB in size. Just remember thats a blank application with 3D graphics support, resolution changes/fullscreen, audio, and network capabilities, the whole ball of wax :p

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

It's about 4 MB for a zipped blank scene Mac OS X player. Smaller if you use bzip2 or something.

-Jon

4. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

You should try out GooBall. It has 5 very different game-worlds and 60 levels with custom models and textures in many... oh, and 5-6 full-quality music tracks in .ogg format...

Not your run-of-the-mill mini-game :)

d.