Search Unity

Audio Game entirely synced to music tempo?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ger89_, Jul 17, 2019.

1. ger89_

ger89_

Hello!

I'm trying to make a game which is completely synced to a master tempo, and everything happening in the game must snap to the tempo grid. For example, one moving platform should take 8 beats to move to another point, then stand still for 8 beats, then go back, but everything has to be on beat and perfectly synced with the music. As a first step, I want to do this with the game environment.

Like this:

Bonus: It would be also cool to also make it with the player's actions, like REZ, but I'm thinking it can be even more difficult.

I've been learning some things about FMOD which seems like a very powerful tool to manage audio but still don't know how to precisely make what I want.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

2. MisterSkitz

MisterSkitz

Can you not call for the beats desired upon event? Looks to me like there's a BG sample playing in the background and everything else is triggered upon collision, jump, or move.

3. ger89_

ger89_

I actually found a video explaining how the game works and gave me some insight on how to solve it. I'm using audio clips with the same tempo and duration, of 8 beats each. Then make duration / 8 and count the beats with a counter, then use that info to control the objects. So far so good, altho probably in the long run it would be better to approach it as you said, having a "master" BG sample.

Here's the video:

4. LForward1

LForward1

Found it too, it is useful, if you have an idea on what to do.