Search Unity

GAME ENGINE using Unity 3D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sidegame, Feb 28, 2013.

1. sidegame

sidegame

Hello there!:)
    I’m new to Unity and Unity Community so sorry if I posted in wrong place; i have a question (I don’t know it’s a fool question or not?) can I create a GAME ENGINE using Unity 3D I mean (My own Game engine that can create game for iOS with easy scripting).
    I know that creating game engine needs (Open GL + Open Al + etc…) and also good experience in C++ and high Math.
    But these are the things that are so difficult to me so, is it possible to create a game engine using Unity3D.
    Thanks!

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Of course it is. And since it's already a game engine, you have an incredible head start on making a more specialized game engine.

3. wccrawford

wccrawford

Unity *is* a game engine.

4. poncho

poncho

yeah, it is like using excel, and make some templates, after you make a game in unity, that can be used as a "game engine", where to make a whole new game you would only need to change sprites, world and other few elements, dont worry about the graphic libraries unity does it for you. good luck

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

mmm yes Unity is a game engine, you could add another layer of your own script language, gui interface, features, tools, etc on top of it and call that your engine. You can't really peel back the hood too much to get to the lower levels and implement stuff like a better use of OpenGL etc, but you can build on what's there.

6. kalamona

kalamona

There was a serious try, but their KS failed. It is here:
    http://axisgamefactory.com/

There are also some frameworks in the asset store (rpg kits, rts kits and such), that might be considered a "game engine inside unity".

7. kingcharizard

kingcharizard

that axis thing is pretty cool, looks fun to play with.

8. sama-van

sama-van

Unity is a game engine running on PC and mac.

I think it could be smart to develop a easy game maker on mobile or tablet device with it.
    There is always a way to make things easier for those they keep distance with such thing as coding or to complex things.

Maybe something for kids? with easy boxes to connect each other etc...

I really like the idea.

On my side, I write an 3D viewer for iOS where the customization of 3D model is possible, etc...
    It progress, I take my time, mainly hobby, but I love it.
    It is so fun to keep in your hand on something you create.
    We use to keep so much distance with virtual data we daily produce.

9. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'm doing something like that. I've been writing a series of tools with Unity to essentially function as an all-in-one game editor so the only time I need to actually enter the editor is to do specific bugfixes and new feature implementations.

10. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I'm going to disagree with others a bit and say "no". Especially if your plan is to make a game engine that's just like Unity but sell it as if it were your own. There are lots of legal and copyright issues, especially if you use anything from the asset store. Unity is a game engine; it's for making games. It's not for making a new version of itself that you can resell as your own game engine.

11. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

That's true, but I can tell you that I was working on an engine and I asked Unity about this very issue - obviously you're not allowed to rip Unity off by just offering up all of their standard functionality in some new wrapper thing, but they DO want you to create multimedia software/applications/games that allow people to be creative, and that includes software that lets people create animations, presentations, graphics, interactive storyboard, `game editors` or whatever... so long as the product is essentially presenting your own interface and work to the user and isn't just trying to directly compete with/as the Unity editor, you should be okay.. but if the gray area is too vague and uncertain, I suggest sending it to Unity and get them to decide if they're okay with it.

12. Shuji

Shuji

I'm not sure, but isn't making a game engine on iOS kind of impossible? You can't really load your own assets on it due to having no file browser and of course iTunes. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

But if you want a simple drag and drop editor I guess that's possible though. But would require you to provide and make all the assets.

13. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Theoretically you maaay be able to use external assets with some trickery but I really doubt Apple would let that get past approval.

14. sidegame

sidegame

Thank you all for your answers, these answers helped me to much and now I think that I can build my own game engine (using unity3D). But, I have anther question, how about the (libs) will Unity gives me the premasion to use their library in my game engine or I should use same other.

15. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

While you can definitely create an engine with sufficient skill inside unity, you should ask yourself why would you like to create that... It's not an easy task, and I'd make sure there'n no better way of achieving what you want to do!