Search Unity

Game does not work on new Android Oreo

Discussion in 'Android' started by RaceCat, Aug 24, 2017.

1. RaceCat

RaceCat

Hey guys,

We've heard several reports that our game does not work on Android Oreo. It launches to a black screen and is unresponsive. This only happens with Oreo that just came out and no other Android version as far as we know.

We're on Unity 5.6.3. Anyone else experienced this? Is there anything special we should do to ensure Unity works on the new Android version?

Thanks!

Chris

komal2992 likes this.
  2. kodekq

kodekq

Some problem with Unity 5.5.4f1 (we can not update the version of the engine above 5.5, because we lose all our lightmaps.)

3. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

We'll check it out. Dev previews were working fine. Any details are appreciated!

4. RaceCat

RaceCat

Thank you very much, Yury.

I don't personally have an Oreo device but I've had reports from several friends that do as well as lots of 1 star Google Play reviews :( It was also not working on the Android O beta. The game seems to load to a black screen and just sit there. It doesn't force close or crash.

We are using Unity Ads and Google Firebase.

I don't believe anything would be wrong with our build settings but here's a screenshot of them:

Thanks!

5. kodekq

kodekq

Similarly, in Google Play we have about 50 reviews with 1 star and the same problem that only a black screen and nothing more.

nitinDhami likes this.
  6. IevaUnity

IevaUnity

Unity Technologies

Hey,
    I have been able to reproduce the issue you are describing. Even with your project, Chris. Seems that it is related to permissions. Example error "Failed to get permission info for com.sec.android.provider.badge.permission.READ, manifest likely missing custom permission declaration" which means that permissions are undeclared. This issue might be not related to Unity, however, I forwarded a bug to our developers.

7. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Thanks Ieva!
    I'm flashing a Pixel and will take a look into that.

8. RaceCat

RaceCat

Thanks, guys! Any further updates on this? I'm not too familiar with Android permissions. Is there something I can add to potentially fix the issue?

9. akwkong

akwkong

Ran into the same issue when building with 5.6.3f1 but the app works properly when built with 2017.1.0f3. The 2017.1.0f3 version shows the runtime permission dialogs but the 5.6.3f1 version does not. After granting the required permissions to the 5.6.3f1 app in the device's app settings, the app launches successfully.

10. RaceCat

RaceCat

Great to know, akwkong. That's very helpful.

Unity devs, is there a chance another patch version will be released for 5.6.3 that incorporates the 2017 Oreo permission fix? We'd like to stay on 5.6 for a while longer if possible as we bought the pro license.

Thanks very much for the info guys!

11. Evaldas_Unity

Evaldas_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @RaceCat ! We got a fix on it's way that is going all the way down to 5.5. Can't promise any ETA's, since updates for different versions come out at different freqiencies.

@akwkong That's weird.. In our testing 2017.1 was affected too. (From bug report: 'Reproducible: 5.6.3p2, 2017.1.0p5, 2017.2.0b6, 2017.3.0a6')
    Maybe it is just timing and Android O got an update?
    Might need to ask @IevaUnity3d about this.

12. PavanJakhu

PavanJakhu

Looks like I'm having a permissions issue as well on 5.6.3p1. I'm trying to get the location permissions (using an asset called Online Maps from the Asset Store) but the app isn't asking me for it so Input.location.isEnabledByUser just evaluates to false. I have to manually go into the Settings app and enable it. Hopefully this will get fixed in the next patch as well.

13. RaceCat

RaceCat

Perfect! Thank you, Evaldas :)

14. akwkong

akwkong

@Evaldas_Unity I tried again with 2017.1.0f3 on my Mac to double check and I saw the runtime permission dialogs on my Nexus 5X running build OPR6.170623.013. I downloaded 2017.1.1f1 and also saw the runtime permission dialogs appear. Happy to hear you are fixing this on versions down to 5.5, thanks!

15. edaw22

edaw22

Yay, I'm not the only one! Any update yet on when a fix will be rolled out to the latest version of Unity?

I was having a very strange bug where randomly during gameplay just the visuals would freeze up and just jitter back and forth between two frames rapidly. The odd thing was that the game was still functional underneath the frozen visuals and if you could manage to load a new scene the issue would resolve (otherwise the game would CTD after a few seconds). Anyone else experienced this issue?

I updated the Android SDK which apparently hadn't downloaded the 8.0 Oreo update yet, now I can't get past this black permissions screen bug that everyone is having :(

16. 3gogames

3gogames

Any news about the fix? I've seen that a new patch has been released for Unity 5.6 but it doesn't contain this fix in its changelog...

17. Meltdown

Meltdown

MMmmm... Oreos

kikesa72 likes this.
  18. Evaldas_Unity

Evaldas_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello peeps. Sorry for the silence :oops:

Here are some updates:
    So, the fix went out to 2017.2.0b11 and should be available in the upcoming days.
    The fix will also land in 2017.1.1p2
    No set dates for 5.5 and 5.6 (very likely 5.6.3p4) but they are coming : )

Otto_Oliveira likes this.
  19. RaceCat

RaceCat

Thanks for the update, Evaldas! I assume there's no prediction on the release date of 5.6.3p4? September? :)

AakashDP likes this.
  20. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Planned for the next week.

21. Stephane-Imbert

Stephane-Imbert

Is the update still planned for this week (9/18/2017 to 9/22/2017)?
    Any ETA of when we can expect it?
    We have players stuck on startup with our live game on Android Oreo.
    Thanks.

010101010101 and AakashDP like this.
  22. errorsevendev

errorsevendev

I tried the beta version 2017.2.0b11 and it managed to get it working but my game was unplayable otherwise, some major frame rate problems.
    My current work around is just not having a save data file. its terrible but least its better than all the 1 star "wont open" reviews that kill my rating.
    I am supposed to be launching a new game tonight and have no oreo support.
    When is the the fix coming out?

23. Stephane-Imbert

Stephane-Imbert

Same frame rate issues for us when upgrading to the beta, which is why we have to stick with 5.6.3p3.

24. emongev

emongev

Same issue here on 5.5.4p3, just coming here to remember when to find the fixed version. I made the mistake of updating my phone while adding Android functionalities :/

25. 010101010101

Please release this patch build, we need it desperately. Maybe you can make a build with this critical fix only?

TymNetwork likes this.
  26. amjaliks

amjaliks

This working week is almost over. May we expect get patch for 5.6.3 today?

27. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Based on what I got from Sustained Engineering team - the patch is under testing and will be released today, if nothing critical is found.

christye07 and amjaliks like this.
  28. 010101010101

Thank you, the patch build is live!

amjaliks likes this.
  29. Otto_Oliveira

Otto_Oliveira

For me updating to 2017.1.1p2 worked for me.
    App ran ok, but it's an UI app so I can't say much about performance.

30. sd115409685

sd115409685

I saw the 5.6.3p4, would you publish a patch of 5.4/5.5? Thank you very much~!

AakashDP likes this.
  31. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

As far as I know, the fix in 5.5 is planned - not sure about 5.4 though.

AakashDP and sd115409685 like this.
  32. pgabrielVueCo

pgabrielVueCo

Any idea as to when the 5.5 update is planned? I just launched a game and am trying to decide if its worth it to upgrade to 5.6 and then re-test the whole thing.

33. geff

geff

Same here, we just launched a game yesterday on Unity 5.5 on Steam / iOS / Android

34. dsurka

dsurka

@Yury-Habets thanks for the updates! any ETA on having 5.6.3p4 on UCB?

35. AakashDP

AakashDP

There is a temporary fix you can use to get the game working on Android O that Google told us to try. You can change your android target/max sdk to 25 (you may need to completely remove sdk 26 from your computer). It works for the games Im working on when testing on Android O.

36. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

The fix should get into 5.5.5p1. Not sure about Cloud build though.

37. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Not sure if it actually works. This is also not the workaround you want to publish your games with.

38. pgabrielVueCo

pgabrielVueCo

I upgraded to Unity 2017.1.1p3, however when I build the application with Target API Level set to Automatic (highest installed) and I have Android SDK Build-tools 26 installed along with Android 8 (API 26) and I still receive a black screen at start. Is this normal?

bryanplayimpossible likes this.
  39. 010101010101

Dear Unity developers, can you please consider making a patch build with the Android 8 permission issue fix for the Unity 4? We have a legacy project which we can't migrate to current version of Unity, but we still need to support it... Please?

SoftwareGeezers likes this.
  40. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Probably it's not - logcat would be helpful.

41. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

42. Eric-Farraro

Eric-Farraro

Not sure if related to the issues, but I saw this same "unable to query for permission" error in my adb logcat logs. My game worked fine for months, even on Android O; the issue started happening after I added Crashlytics. If your project uses Crashlytics and you need some immediate relief, consider removing Crashlytics and seeing if that helps.

Also @Yury-Habets - I'm using "Latest 5.X" in Unity Cloud Build, which is v5.6.3f1 currently (doesn't have the patch) Can you chat with the Cloud Build team to find out a timeline about when we can expect that version of 5.6 to be updated to the latest 5.6 patch?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    mayucy likes this.
  43. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

Cloud Build has 5.6.3p1, p2, p3, and p4 - they can be selected for a given build target. Any publicly released Unity version is usually available in Cloud Build within about 24 hours of release, but patch versions are not set as "default latest" versions - that's only done for official releases for stability reasons.

44. sorasu1942

sorasu1942

I cannot update it from Unity5.6.1f.
    The problem that was Nexus 5X(Android 8.0) occurred.
    Because I was able to solve a problem, I share it.

・Add follows in AndroidManifest.xml
    <meta-data android:name="unityplayer.SkipPermissionsDialog" android:value="true" />

・Please require access permission in a timing of the initialization.
    (I required it in OnCreate of CustomActivity)

I was able to confirm that it worked in this process.
    Please try it.

BMRG14, joycrafter and Rockville like this.
  45. Rockville

Rockville

This worked for me. Thanks!

46. TimberX

TimberX

I am also on Unity 5.6.1f, and I just wonder how did you guys require access permission in a timing of the initialization?

47. TimberX

TimberX

May I know how did you require access permission in a timing of the initialization?

48. sorasu1942

sorasu1942

Because I read and wrote the file, my App required permission of "android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE".

Similarly, I think that I do not have any problem if I check "uses-permission" all permission doing in AndroidManifest.xml.

I thought that I did not have any problem even if permission confirmed before necessary processing, but I required all permission with a setup of the application.

49. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Probably by specifying target sdk 22?
    This is not a good idea - Google does not recommend that, and your app is guaranteed to not be featured on Google Play.

50. dijital

dijital

Why is this not planned? There are tens of thousands of apps that rely on unity 4's physics system! Why will you not repair a game breaking bug that you know how to fix? Nobody is asking for the latest and greatest features to be added, just fix a game breaking bug you already know how to fix.

@010101010101 please upvote this feedback https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/fix-android-8-game-breaking-permission-bug-in-unity-4-dot-7

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017