Search Unity

Game Development Related Podcasts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by martialartistmichael, Jul 2, 2018.

1. martialartistmichael

martialartistmichael

Been doing some searching on my Podcast app for some related Podcasts to add to my listening selection. Still new to everything so doing a bunch of tutorials here and from Udemy. While driving I always have a Podcast on so looking for something to pair with that.

Any suggestions? Looking for the "bigger picture" stuff for this and less about fine technical details.

Tried Game Dev Unchained last week, but I couldn't do it. Between the awkwardness of the hosts and the atrocious audio it just drove me nuts. It really sounded like there was one of them with a bad mic and his phone on speaker with the two others on conference. Sad thing is the guests seem to be well worth listening to.

2. TheBooBear

TheBooBear

I enjoy listening to butterscotch shenanigans.

3. martialartistmichael

martialartistmichael

Thanks! Added episode on phone for drive home.

4. Socrates

Socrates

I like the game design articles at Game Wisdom. While I haven't listened to any episodes as I prefer written material, he also has a podcast.

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) Game Maker's Notebook is a top-notch game development podcast. It's well-produced, the interviewer is very capable, and he interviews experienced people like Todd Howard (executive producer of Bethesda) and Neil Druckman (creative director of The Last Of Us) who all have a lot of insightful thoughts to share. I'll occasionally listen to the Gamkedo podcast for the hobbyist perspective, too.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. martialartistmichael

martialartistmichael

@Socrates

Thanks! I will read articles as well, but with 2 hours of driving a day Podcasts help me keep up on stuff.

@TonyLi

Both look great. Thanks for the share.

@Drunken-Monkey

Listened to the latest on the way home. I enjoyed that. Good mix of general chat, good industry discussion, and some game development insight.

7. cyangamer

cyangamer

These are useful. I'll have to give these a listen too. Thanks!

martialartistmichael likes this.
  8. Gua

Gua

Here's my favorite mostly game dev related podcasts

martialartistmichael and TonyLi like this.
  9. martialartistmichael

martialartistmichael

Thanks @Gua!

That's a good list. Coffee with Butterscotch has been my main one. A lot of those don't come up on a search on PocketCast for some reason so thanks for the share.

10. Shizola

Shizola

Game Dev Unchained is the best, bit strange you'd give up after one episode.

11. digital_artisan

digital_artisan

I find business podcasts on game development to provide me with the most value, since its information that you can listen to without needing a visual component to really learn a lot of useful stuff from it.
    Some of my favorite podcasts:
    Moonlight Game Devs - weekly podcast where a game dev comes on and shares the story behind their latest game.
    Elite Game Developers - business consultant talks to investors and entrepreneurs in the games industry. Mainly mobile games.
    Indie Games Business - games business podcast that focuses on the indie games scene.

12. Dott_Dogg

Dott_Dogg

Game Dev Unchained and Noclip are both pretty good podcasts in my opinion.

13. Gua

Gua

Noclip podcast is more of a gaming podcast than game dev podcast.

14. martialartistmichael

martialartistmichael

Will check these out. Thanks so much.

15. Dott_Dogg

Dott_Dogg

They have a few interviews and talks with developers on their podcast. But okay.

16. Gua

Gua

They do talk with game developers, but not from gamedev perspective to make it interesting for general audience. Even when game dev related question is being asked, guest understands that it's a general audience focused podcast and gives short/vague answer.

I good indicator that x podcast isn't game development podcast, is when host of the podcast isn't a game developer.

Dott_Dogg likes this.
  17. Roland_the_Cowboy

Roland_the_Cowboy

Thank you, I was searching for outsourcing game developers and that'd help me to be familiar with the topic.