Search Unity

Game Developer Career Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by absolutebreeze, Mar 6, 2009.

1. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Today I happened to come across a copy of Game Developer Career Guide 2008(Autumn) and found a section on game engines quite interesting.

In the article they refer to Unity as a 'point and click' style engine - in the same genre as TGB.

Not having used Unity 3D (its not released on windows yet) I cannot really comment - but my understanding is that Unity is a lot more powerful than a standard point and click product like gamemaker or TGB. I guess the games available prove that.

Anyhow, here is the paragraph from the magazine that talks about it... and I was wondering what others here who have experience of Unity 3D feel/think about it - especially the extremely limiting point.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That article is basically completely wrong; you're not going to get very far in Unity without coding. It has a lot of drag'n'drop functionality for linking stuff together, but you script all the behavior. It's not limited in any way, and doesn't cater to any particular game genre. For that matter lots of people don't even use it for making games at all, although it does lean in that direction.

--Eric

3. StarManta

StarManta

Coding is definitely a necessity with Unity, so by that definition it's only a point-and-click engine if you want to make an architectural walkthrough.

4. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Thanks Eric,

I was kind of hoping that it wasn't as simple to use as TGB :)

TGB is great and all, but I need something with more byte ;D

For anyone interested, you can view a free copy of the entire career guide at its website :

http://www.gdmag.com/archive/gdcg08.htm

5. ChromeFly

ChromeFly

Hmm... It's not even called Unity3D. It's just Unity afaik. Sounds like they need to do a little research before writing about it. :roll:

6. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

You are correct.

7. spiralgear

spiralgear

That is misinformed at best, and completely fabricated at worst....

There is no point-and-click about it, you won't be able to create anything in unity without custom scripts, period.

I am really surprised that was even said, if anything unity's problem is the learning curve is to steep for non-programmers.

8. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Sorry spiralgear but I disagree, I consider my self as a non programmer, heck not even an artist, but I wanted to make video games and other stuff too for a long time and was willing to learn how to do it and Unity (and this community) makes it a lot easier compared to others that I tried.

Not a drag and drop(umm, kinda)... but I'm a drag and drop, cut and paste kind of developer wannabe :D

Ray

9. LucindaMcNary

LucindaMcNary

I have never written any code but then a couple of months ago I said I would never be able to learn to model in 3d -- two weeks later I released an entire Manhattan environment.

I suppose too there are scripts you can import and purchase for the coding?

10. soulman901

soulman901

You know I was going to subscribe to this magazine but crap like this just puts me off from purchasing it.