Search Unity

Game Designer trying to get into Development (Solo Project) [Help pls:d]

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by alison333, Mar 12, 2023.

1. alison333

alison333

Hi everyone, I've been managing my game studio for 3 years now and lately we had to disband the team due to financial crysis* :)

I want to polish my un-finished skills in development to create PC games that I had in mind on the side.

Situation is this: I'm very familiar with everything but not efficiently know or use anything in Scripts. I've been mostly the User of completed interfaces and stuff. Now I'm trying to make a coop fps in a bitesize manor.

I've developed a menu and sort of basic shooting mechanics via tutorials and I feel confident that I can go on but I know I have to lower scope to finish a Lite version of my ideas even before prototypes.

My main problem is: I can forecast what components I should use, what interacts with what and how, general logic of everything. The issue begins when I come to point of executing... I often get lost or find irrelevant stuff that's not yet very important.. I have a menu system, room system, players can get in and out, they see each other and shoot each other.
    I have this urge to make it very simple to read and see what's working how. This would be good in long term but I often get lost like I said. Currently I'm trying to plan how many XManagers should I have to make this game.....

Can anyone help me about finding a tutorial that lets you make a complete game in a neat way?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

If you want to continue this a long time, I suggest touching up coding skills using Unity Learn. The development pathway is quite good.
    For your systems itself, maybe write down everything that needs to be done, and per point write down what that entails.

For example:
    Getting enemies in the game:
    - AI
    --State machine
    --path finding

-3d models
    -- enemy mesh
    -- gun mesh
    -- enemy animations

- gun system
    --maybe inheritance?
    --hit detection
    -- damage counter

Then you can get through the list a lot easier

3. alison333

alison333

Yeah today was kinda revelation day for myself.. I've been trying to use assets whole the time but in fact they were slowing me down because everytime I wanted to use a template or whatever it came with a huge price(learn whatever they wanted to do in their logic which was like a headache that didn't stop anytime)

I will make a short list for the scenario Player spawns on A to sprint to B to finish the game first.
    Then I'll go forward to enemy ai etc.
    And if things go well I'll implement finished product into a coop mode

DevDunk likes this.