Search Unity

Game "design" document for prototype

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeffreyA, May 4, 2018.

1. JeffreyA

JeffreyA

Hallo,

For a school related project i have to design and build a serious game (prototype).
    I wrote down a lot of my ideas in separate documents and sticky notes.
    My problem is, i have to come up with some sort game design on paper. Every game design document i found on google is way to complex and time consuming for this goal.

The idea that i have in general is a 2d visual novel game where the player can make choices and experience the consequences. I have a world setting, a character, goal etc, all results in approximately 5 minutes of demo gameplay. But for school i also need to document everything.

I don't want to forget important information, therefor i want to use a proved method to describe my prototype.
    Does someone know a method or tool to document my prototype that doesn't result in a 100 pages?

Thanks in advance

I hope this is the right forum to post this question.

Jeffrey

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm a bit confused. Normally you would write a GDD when you have decided on the final design, and you'd create a prototype as part of an earlier investigation of mechanics or gameplay. You'd then use your experience with your prototype to help develop your design, which you would then formalize into a GDD. After which you'd throw out your prototype and start development of the real project. Or are you using the terms differently?

Documentation for a prototype I would think would be more of an outline than a GDD.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

bart_the_13th likes this.