Search Unity

[Game Design Digest - Silent Hills]

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Kinos141, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Kinos141

Kinos141

I looked at the gameplay for Silent Hills, and I was blown by it. Not the fact that it's scary, but by the fact how simple it is.
    From a development standpoint, it's ingenious.
    You have the play basically going in a circle over and over, with new puzzles and new atmosphere per loop.
    IMO, it's the best way to do something unique with less work on a smaller budget(for indies).
    What do you guys think after seeing the trailer?

2. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Is it anything more than a one-off though? Fundamentally, the level is hinged upon the horror that is... the right angle! DUN DUN DUNNNN!

For a twenty to thirty minute experience, it works, but is it any better or worse than the level from Gone Home? I would just be willing to bet that for the amount of time you spend playing, it's still contains more assets (and time put in) than most indie studios would actually be willing to spend.

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

It was just a showcase of the new engine and theres going to be a real silent hills later on.

4. Kinos141

Kinos141

I played Gone Home, and it scared the crap out of me.
    I kept thinking something was going to pop out and attack me, but nothing happened.
    LOL :D

5. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

"P.T." - not Silent Hills. The final game will not be like this. There may be passages but P.T. was more of an experience taser and a deliberately obscure puzzle horror to get the community to guess what it's going to be. It does not have to work any longer or differently than in its own scope.

I think that a few of the really difficult guessing puzzles like for example the picture pieces or the "laughing baby" puzzle at the end won't be present in the real game, either.

Well ... thanks for the spoiler.

6. Kinos141

Kinos141

I didn't beat the game, so I don't what happens next.

7. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Hell, I haven't even played the game but I know nothing really happens. Do intend to one of these days.