Search Unity

Game Data Editor: The Visual Data Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Celestipoo, Jun 6, 2014.

1. RobinopdeBeek

RobinopdeBeek

I'll just keep looking then. Thanks for the fast replies anyway!

2. sqallpl

sqallpl

@Celestipoo

Hi,

After upgrading to Unity 2019.1.1 and switching to Net 4.x I have some problems with GDE. Here is some info.

I was investigating the data files and I've noticed that it stores/saves float variables with commas instead of decimal points (1,50 instead of 1.50).

As a result (when there is any float with comma in the data file) it generates errors (I've added the most common one at the end of this post) and it's not possible to initialize GDE and use GDE editor windows (Schemas/Items are cleared). Generally it produces errors when GDE want to access/initialize data that was saved before (because the data file uses commas for floats, instead of decimal points). When I load older version of same/similar data files (they have floats stored with decimal points) it works fine.

I think its problably related to CurrentCulture. My Windows is non-US version. When I use "Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture" it works fine and stores/saves floats with decimal points instead of commas. Anyway it's a workaround and I'm not sure if it won't affect other stuff in the project so I would prefer not to use it.

Unity fixed some issues related to CurrentCulture in 2019.1 (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...260.855758748.1560766777-477745030.1553639746) but it looks like there is something in GDE that is not affected by the fixes.

Unity 2018.3.11
    "Serialization: Fixed issues with the serialization when using a non-US locale. (1065595, 1127019)"

Maybe it's about TryParse because some users have reported issues with it even after the fixes were applied.

Do you think that you can publish an update that would fix that? I'ts possible that all users of 2019.x and NET 4.x who use systems with decimal culture would get these errors, which are critical for GDE functionality.

Any reply will be much appreciated.

There are some threads related to CurrentCulture problems:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/editor-is-using-windows-locale-settings.442847/

Code (csharp):
    2. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at GameDataEditor.GDEItemManager.LoadSchemas () [0x00078] in D:/Test Project 2\Assets\GameDataEditor\Editor\GDEItemManager.cs:573
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    4. GameDataEditor.GDEItemManager:LoadSchemas() (at Assets/GameDataEditor/Editor/GDEItemManager.cs:595)
    5. GameDataEditor.GDEItemManager:Load(Boolean) (at Assets/GameDataEditor/Editor/GDEItemManager.cs:444)
    6. GameDataEditor.GDEManagerWindowBase:OnFocus() (at Assets/GameDataEditor/Editor/GDEManagerWindowBase.cs:137)
    7. UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Boolean, String)
    8. GDEMenu:GDEItemEditor() (at Assets/GameDataEditor/Editor/GDEMenu.cs:25)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Fetti2k likes this.
  3. frogzero

frogzero

Greetings,

Can you share your thoughts about when or if this asset will be upgraded to work with Unity 2019? The last update in the asset store seems to be Nov 2017 and in this forum you suggested a fix for Unity 2018 back in January'19.

I'd really like to continue using this great asset! I have a project that's heavily dependent on GDE, and hope its still maintained :)

Duffer123 likes this.
  4. NGS99

NGS99

Ditto, could really use a 2019.1 as nothing provided in the previous comments work.

5. FergJoe

FergJoe

@NGS99 - I'm currently using GDE with the dropbox hotfix @Celestipoo provided. Everything is working in Unity 2019.2.0b7. Installing per her instructions should work for you, too!

We use Google Sheets to hold localization info and stats on items. I even did a major update on the structure, refreshed my GDEData Classes, and everything is still 100% functional.

That being said, with Unity moving to a yearly major upgrade cycle, I'm hoping this asset continues to be maintained! I think it would help a lot of folks if the "new" update was published to the Asset Store.

I'm a little embarrassed at how much I've come to rely on this asset, and don't want to find another! :cool:

6. RobinopdeBeek

RobinopdeBeek

Good day all,

I've been using GDE in my project for about 5 months now. A few weeks ago I started getting these warnings whenever I load in my data from an Excel file:
    • Invalid AssetDatabase path: J:/ [project folder path] /Assets/GameDataEditor/Resources/gde_data.txt. Use path relative to the project folder.
    • J:/ [project folder path] /Assets/GameDataEditor/Resources/gde_data.txt' is an absolute path, importing is skipped. Paths to assets have to be relative to the project folder e.g 'Assets/Folder/MyAsset.asset'

After importing I can see all of my data in the Schema & Item Editor, but when I hit play it clears out the database and I get a lot of errors like:
    • System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at GameDataEditor.GDEItemManager.LoadSchemas () [0x00078] in J:\ [project folder path] \Assets\GameDataEditor\Editor\GDEItemManager.cs:573
    • System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at GameDataEditor.GDEDataManager.set_masterData (System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] value) [0x00009] in J:\ [project folder path] \Assets\GameDataEditor\APIScripts\GDEDataManager.cs:51

I can sort of fix it by first clearing out the import export settings, then loading in the data, and then generate GDE data classes again. However this does not seem very reliable + I would like to be able to just hit save in my Excel file and the GDE auto-reimports the data properly, which it was able to do a few weeks ago.

Anybody know what's wrong and how to fix this?

(I'm on 2018.3) (I changed some of the project folder path with [project folder path], as this is for a company)

7. papazingo81

papazingo81

Hi,

I have just purchased Game Data Editor off the asset store, and imported it to my project however i'm receiving multiple error message. im using Unity 2019.3.

Is there a certain way it needs to be imported on 2019?

Please Help?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  8. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

I have had errors using GDE in 2019. I emailed Celestipoo and she provided a partial fix, but said she wants to deprecate the plugin. I have since got it working at least enough for my project which is simply using a Google spreadsheet, importing, and using standard text and number fields. I'll describe below...

As above, work has silently stopped on GDE which is a travesty IMO. As I stated in my review, I can't think of a more essential asset. I have got GDE working without Localization Editor in my project that I've ported from 2017 to 2019.1 And here's how...

1) Remove Localization Editor. Both LE and GDE use EPPlus.dll local to their plugin folders and that stops the project building due to duplicates.

2) Import a hot-fix asset provided by Celstipoo: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rn4czlww34yz5xo/GDEv2.6.1_EPPlusFix.unitypackage?dl=0

3) Closing and reopening the project results in scripts being rebuilt and GDE now works. The local database works. However, spreadsheet import failed because of a DateTime format error.

4) This DateTime error comes from a test to resend authorisation tokens when importing. The last time the authorisation was performed is saved as a string saved as some regional culture. For me being in the UK, the swap of the day and month from the saved format caused the error (no 27th month!). In tracking this down, I added these lines to Assets/GameDataEditor/Editor/ExcelImport/GDEOAuth.cs...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Globalization; // ADDED
    3.                 string timeString = settings.AccessTokenTimeout;
    4.                 CultureInfo culture = new CultureInfo("en-GB");  // ADDED
    5.                 DateTime lastRefreshed = DateTime.MinValue;
    7.                 if (!timeString.Equals (string.Empty))
    8.                     DateTime.Parse (timeString, culture);
    // CHANGED

However, one could probably just remove the DateTime test altogether and just always call RefreshAccessToken() if spreadsheet import is only done once in a while, changing...
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void Init()
    2.         {
    3.             if (HasAuthenticated())
    4.             {
    5.                 GDESettings settings = GDESettings.Instance;
    6.                 string accessToken = settings.AccessTokenKey;
    7.                 string refreshToken = settings.RefreshTokenKey;
    9.                 oauth2Params.AccessToken = accessToken;
    10.                 oauth2Params.RefreshToken = refreshToken;
    12.                 string timeString = settings.AccessTokenTimeout;
    13.                 CultureInfo culture = new CultureInfo("en-GB");
    14.                 DateTime lastRefreshed = DateTime.MinValue;
    16.                 if (!timeString.Equals (string.Empty))
    17.                     DateTime.Parse (timeString, culture);
    19.                 TimeSpan timeSinceRefresh = DateTime.Now.Subtract (lastRefreshed);
    21.                 if (timeSinceRefresh.TotalSeconds >= ACCESS_TOKEN_TIMEOUT)
    22.                     RefreshAccessToken();
    23.             }
    24.         }
    ...to...
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void Init()
    2.         {
    3.             if (HasAuthenticated())
    4.             {
    5.                 GDESettings settings = GDESettings.Instance;
    6.                 string accessToken = settings.AccessTokenKey;
    7.                 string refreshToken = settings.RefreshTokenKey;
    9.                 oauth2Params.AccessToken = accessToken;
    10.                 oauth2Params.RefreshToken = refreshToken;
    12.                 RefreshAccessToken();
    13.             }
    14.         }
    As of this moment, I can access my database and import from Google within 2019. I have not tried setting up a new Google connection as I'm using the settings created when I made the project in 2017, but I can't see why that wouldn't work.

Hopeful Celestipoo can find a little time to tidy up GDE and fix these little errors. I can see a new database asset on the asset store doing the same things, getting similar 5* reviews. GDE is already there and feature-rich and we're already using it and loving it! :D

Fetti2k likes this.
  9. NGS99

NGS99

Yeah, I grabbed this because it was similar enough to GoogleFu and the competitors but was easier to use and had better documentation. Its really sad its being depreciated soon.

Regardless, I hope Celestipoo will find the time to fix the compatibility bugs so we can continue to use this into Unity 2020.

10. hopeful

hopeful

@Celestipoo - Hopefully when this is deprecated, it can go to Github instead of just disappearing.

vamky and sqallpl like this.
  11. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Alright, I'm back. Disgruntled, but back. I briefly looked into the CurrentCulture issues and have not made any changes related to that. Unity, once again, has made a mess and I'm going to wait it out to see what happens. It might happen that the culture changes will be reverted and GDE will work as expected once again.

I've submitted an update that includes support for VideoClips, also bug fixes. You should be able to import into Unity 2018.3+ with no issues. There are still some deprecation warnings I will address, but those do not affect runtime code so its low priority.

GDE has been going for roughly 5 years. If you'd like to leave me a tip, for lack of a better word, I'd be forever grateful. You can do so here: Patreon

12. NGS99

NGS99

Thanks Celest for not giving up on us yet!

Duffer123 and sqallpl like this.
  13. RobinopdeBeek

RobinopdeBeek

Hi!

My players can manipulate the data freely, and I want them to be able to save different configurations.
    Is it possible to make multiple different Save files during play mode?

14. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

If you mean playmode in the editor, this is what you do:
    Yes, you should be able to. Essentially, you need to init with the data file you want to manipulate, then use SaveToDisk() when you want to save it to the physical file. Then load the other data file, manipulate, then call SaveToDisk(). Make sure to backup all your data before attempting in case there are bugs. It should work, but there might be some extra steps I'm forgetting. See Playmode Saving.

If you mean save to different sets during runtime (on a device), just init and save with the file you want to focus on, and when you want to switch, init with the other file and save as you need.

Also, there's a hurricane that's bearing down on us in the next few days so if I don't answer for a while, I might have lost power and internet. See you on the other side!

15. atduskgreg

atduskgreg

Hello! Really enjoying using this asset. It does a big important job in my game just the way I was hoping it would be done.

That said I'm hitting a bit of a bug with using Texture2D fields in my items. Specifically, whenever I save and reload my data after populating some Texture2D fields, the data is lost. GIF showing what I mean:

gde_texture_bug.gif

The same behavior happens when I actually try to launch the game. The field returns null in my generated class instance.

Am I doing something wrong here? I saved the schema and rebuilt the generated scripts.

Thanks for your help and thanks for the great asset!

16. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Make sure any textures you link in GDE are in a Resources folder or sub folder.

17. 4arrancho

4arrancho

Hi Celeste

Is it possible to use array with excel spreadsheets?

If yes, what's the format? I didn't find much info about GDE and arrays but i have many playmaker actions about arrays and i don't know how to use them...

I understand the "GDE Get All Item Keys" action gets all column A items and it saves them in a array
    But i cant understand the get/set array actions

Can you explain please

18. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

The get/set array actions allow you to load/set a GDE array to/from a Playmaker Array variable. Use get to load a GDE array into a Playmaker Array variable, then manipulate that array using all of Playmaker's array actions. When you want to save that array back to your GDE data, you use GDE's set array action.

19. 4arrancho

4arrancho

Thanks for replying

How can i have a GDE array? In the schema editor i don't see the array option.

Another question: In the action "GDE Get All Item Keys" if we have duplicate names the array doesn't add them
    For example if i have 5 names in column A, John, Peter, Celeste, Ana, Michael, the array will have 5 elements
    If the names are John, John, John, Peter, Celeste, the array will only have 3 elements.
    How can i solve this?

Thanks

Attached Files:

20. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

When creating a new field in a schema, once you select the type, there are checkboxes to the right "Is List" and "Is 2D List" check these to create an array (Is List) or two dimensional array (Is 2D List).

And Item Key refers to the ID of the item, not the data within the item itself. I think you are misunderstanding how the data is organized. Are you using a spreadsheet? If so, and you'd like to create a list, then all those names need to be in a single cell separated by a comma. The list format is:

Code (csharp):
    1. "John", "John", "John", "Peter", "Celeste"
    Please look at the spreadsheet format: http://gamedataeditor.com/en/docs/spreadsheet-format.html

21. fup

fup

Hi,

Just bought this and run into a couple of issues.

1) Once I have imported one spreadsheet, I cannot import another. How do I get the Import box to come up again without hitting "Clear Import Export Settings"?

2) How do I clear everything so i can start again?

Thanks

22. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

If you want to import a different spreadsheet, you need to clear the import/export settings. If you want to just clear your data (without changing the spreadsheet you are importing), you can delete your data file and then click load. It should clear everything and start fresh.

23. fup

fup

Hey Celestipoo, thanks for the speedy answer. Got another Q for you..

After getting some GDE_MySchema_Data how do I convert a field name to a string? For example:

If I have a schema called Blah with field names of xx, yy and zz and I do:

GDEBlahData myBlah = new GDEBlahData("first")

how do I convert myBlah.yy to a string? (ToString() gives me the value as a string)

Thanks

24. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

You mean you want "myBlah.yy" ? I'm not sure what you are trying to do but that is beyond the scope of GDE. The purpose is to get the value of xx, yy, zz.

25. fup

fup

yes so I can use it as a key into another schema. Is there an alternative way of doing that?

26. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Yes, you can link schemas together with custom types. Take a look here: http://gamedataeditor.com/en/docs/custom-data-types.html

The idea is if you have schema Parent, and another schema Child, you can have a field of type Child in the Parent schema. Say Parent has a Child field called oldest, and Child has a int field age. You can do something like:

Code (csharp):
    1. GDEParentData mom = GDEParentData("sandy");
    2. Debug.log(mom.oldest.age.ToString());
    The only restriction is circular connection. If a Parent has a Child field, a Child can't have a Parent field.

27. fup

fup

Yay! Cheers Celestipoo.

28. toykanon

toykanon

'int' can't be used more than 2,147,483,647
    How can I use the 'long' type?

29. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

I'm encountering a mental bug - on one user's machine, vector2 data is being read as rounded-up ints, not floats. That is, a value of (0.35, 0.05) is being read as (35,5).

Image1.png

You can see it's not a simple scaling x100 as the place-value shift is different depending on place values. I've tried to look through the GDE code to see where it's reading and parsing the strings but it gets pretty deep and I've failed! The machine screwing up is Windows 10.

As an aside, you really need to update the store listing so GDE comes up under 'database' searches. There must be loads of people missing this and going with other solutions just because they don't know about it. ;)

Edit : It seems to be due to Localisation Culture. My user is Austrian and his decimal and place-value symbols are inverted to English. That would explain the number difference. The issue of localisation is described here.

I've just tried adding CultureInfo.InvariantCulture to GDE but that's reportedly failed to fix the issue.

value.x = Convert.ToSingle (vectorDict ["x"], CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);
    value.y = Convert.ToSingle (vectorDict ["y"], CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

Edit 2 : I can confirm the problem is caused by localisation. Going into "Windows 10 Settings" and changing regional format to German (Austria) recreates the problem.

This is Unity 2019.2.21

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  30. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Can you try to replace those calls with parse instead? I'm sorry for just throwing this over the fence. Things are crazy here. If you can test that call and it works, you should do a search/replace for all Convert.ToSingle calls. There is probably a few that need updating.

Code (csharp):
    1. value.x = Single.Parse(vectorDict["x"], NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);
    2. value.y = Single.Parse(vectorDict["y"], NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

31. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Thanks for getting back. I'm trying to debug right now and it actually looks like a JSON problem. Tracing from GDEInit, here's a test database string data. Notice Item_3's vector 2 values are {"x":30,"y":0.003},

Image1.png

Here's the values in masterData, (30,3)

Image2.png

And dataString viewed in JSON viewer in VS when Regional Format is set to German(Austria)... Image3.png

So almost certainly out of your hands, and a huge bug affecting loads of people, I'd have thought, so how is this not known about??

Edit : I had a friend look at it and he doesn't encounter the problem on Mac.
    Edit: I see you have your own JSON implementation. The problem lies in there somewhere.

FIXED!

In the MiniJSON implementation, the Parse method is using local culture.

Changing MiniJSON.cs line 302 from
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Double.TryParse(number, out parsedDouble);
    to
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Double.TryParse(number, NumberStyles.Float, CultureInfo.InvariantCulture, out parsedDouble);
    solves my data problems. I'm lucky my user actually gave feedback on Discord instead of just deleting the game as broken!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  32. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

I was just going to say check MiniJSON. So happy you fixed it and thanks for letting me know so I can fix it!

33. tomtominc

tomtominc

Been using this asset for a while in production. For some reason I'm getting an error that I can't import from my spread sheet on google.

I cleared all import/export settings, thinking this might solve my problem. But now GDE can't even find my sheets file anymore. I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm using the latest version of GDE & Unity 2019.3.6f1 on a Mac OSX

Thanks

34. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

I've had to submit an application to Google and they are going to look at the authentication and verify some things. What's happening is there's a limit to how many can authenticate using GDE. Once the app is approved this should no longer happen. Sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully they will process it quickly.

tomtominc likes this.
  35. tomtominc

tomtominc

36. minad2017

minad2017

hi.
    When I install "Jobs" of unity Package Manager, an error occurs.

Microsoft (R) Visual C# Compiler version 2.9.1.65535 (9d34608e)
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

error CS1704: An assembly with the same simple name 'Newtonsoft.Json' has already been imported. Try removing one of the references (e.g. 'C:\Users\user\Documents\unity\Project\testproject\Assets\GameDataEditor\Editor\ExcelImport\Dlls\Newtonsoft.Json.dll') or sign them to enable side-by-side.

The files seem to be in conflict, can I fix it?

Attached Files:

37. sqallpl

sqallpl

Newtonsoft.Json is used and included in some assets like GDE or Megascans Bridge LiveLink. Looks like it's included in the Jobs package too.
    I had same error with two Newtonsoft.Json files in the project. I just disabled one of them (older version) for all platforms in the inspector. If you are on Windows, you can check the file version in the file details (file browser).
    Anyway I'm not sure if its the best way to handle this. Maybe some assets need a specific version of Newtonsoft.Json to work properly. I'm sure that @Celestipoo will give you a better answer.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  38. minad2017

minad2017

When I copy Newtonsoft.Json.dll of "Library/PackageCache/com.unity.nuget.newtonsoft-Json@2.0.0-preview/Runtime" and overwrite it in Newtonsoft.Json.dll in the GameDataEditor folder, the error disappears. It was
    However, when I cleared the Google Spreadsheet once and tried loading it, I got another error.

FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*****' or one of its dependencies.
    Google.GData.Client.OAuthUtil.RefreshAccessToken (Google.GData.Client.OAuth2Parameters parameters) (at <********>:0)
    (There might be a security problem, so I hide a part of it.)

When I tried with an empty new project,
    After replacing the Json object, the Google Spreadsheet import worked fine.
    I deleted all the assets and tried the install again, but it didn't work.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  39. minad2017

minad2017

When I restarted the editor, another error was displayed.
    The timing of error is Google import.

WebException: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
    System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) (at <******>:0)

I get the same error when I select "Reauthenticate With Google".

40. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

So that's a different error than the json errors. I'm working on the Google Spreadsheet feature now. I've heard of users getting import errors than they go away. In any case, I'm working on fixes related to that.

As far as the json DLL, GDE should work with the newer version. Perhaps disabling one or removing GDE's version will fix that error.

41. minad2017

minad2017

Deleting the Json file in the GDE folder results in a "FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version = 6.0.0.0," error.
    If I did not include the Jobs package, replacing Json of GDE and Json of Jobs worked without problems, but when Jobs is installed and I replace Json of GDE with Json of Jobs, the error disappears temporarily. However, I got a lot of errors when I rebooted.
    Since it works with an empty object, I can currently operate it by loading a spreadsheet from another project and saving it in the resource of the project under development.

42. zfy1045056938

zfy1045056938

hello Celestipoo,my unity version is 2018.3.1f1,i can't open the gde window panel ,it show
    these bug upload_2020-5-4_23-56-25.png
    can u give me some advice? it just can't work my project .

43. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Did you move your project from one machine to another? It seems GDE settings file got corrupted. If you locate it in
    Code (csharp):
    1. <ProjectRootDirectory>/ProjectSettings/gde_editor_settings.bytes
    and delete it, it will be regenerated. Try that and I'll file the bug.

44. GreenSignalGames

GreenSignalGames

Celestipoo, quick and easy question:

I'm using PlayMaker and GDE. Do I need to use the "GDE Manager Init" action on every FSM that will be referencing GDE, or just initialize once, on one FSM? Thanks!

45. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Once on one FSM :)

GreenSignalGames likes this.
  46. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Hey Everyone, I wanted to give you a heads up. I just submitted GDE v2.6.3. It's a small update that updates the Google Drive API to v3 and removes unused Dlls (including Newtonsoft Json). Hopefully this update will be more stable for the spreadsheet users. As always, please let me know if you have any issues. Thanks!

47. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

How's everybody doing? Weathering the pandemic alright I hope.
    I've submitted *another* update that's live. GDE v2.7 comes with custom (user defined) enums and videoclip support. We also have in the pipe a free service to host your game data with the same ease and stability that you're used to with GDE! Stay tuned for that :)

SwiftIllusion and 4arrancho like this.
  48. artilla

artilla

Hi,
    I have error with google spreadsheet at 2019.2.21f1. It is HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden.
    I set authenticate with google.

49. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

You were able to authenticate with Google but cannot import a spreadsheet?

50. artilla

artilla

HI,
    It's odd. I am able to authenticate with google. Export is fine, but Import has 403 error. I can create new spreadsheet, but when I import it, I have that error.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020