Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.3 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Data Editor: The Visual Data Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Celestipoo, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Any unity types you link in GDE must be in a Resources folder or subfolder.

2. thomas4d

thomas4d

Ok thanks Resources folder Worked :)

OK next how or can you load audio files from spreadsheet import ? or do you have to add to the GDE after you important the spreadsheet ?

3. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Any unity types is the path *after* resources without an extension, so if your file is "Resources/Audio/wind.mp3" then what you want in the file is "Audio/wind"

It's easier to link in gde then export your spreadsheet back to Google drive so that there's no typos but you certainly can type them in yourself.

4. NicoVar

NicoVar

Hi,

Is there a way to separate the general structure file (schemas) from the actual item data file?

I want to give the game designer the data file for them to play around with values, but the JSON format also contains all the schemas, which if they break it could mess things up.

I understand loading from a spreadsheet (local or google) at runtime is not available since I would need to generate the GDE Data classes, but if I could split the schema from the item data it could work fine. Or, if I could re-load a spreadsheet (just the data) in realtime that would also work.

Here's a quick example on the gde_data file concept. This is a simple gde_data.txt file content:
    {
    "_gdeSchema_Config": {
    "_gdeType_IsConfigOn": "Bool",
    "IsConfigOn": 0
    },
    "ItemZero": {
    "IsConfigOn": true,
    "_gdeSchema": "Config"
    }
    }

Is it possible to split this into two?
    The schema file:
    {
    "_gdeSchema_Config": {
    "IsConfigOn": 0
    }
    }

And the data file:
    {
    "Config": {
    "ItemZero": {
    "IsConfigOn": true,
    }
    }
    }

So the data file is clean and I could expose that file for game designers.

Not sure if this can be done somehow.

Thanks.

5. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

What you can do is split the file up manually. To initialize, read in both the schema file and the data file into a single string. Then call GDEDataManager.InitFromText() with the string variable that contains the contents of both files.

6. vamky

vamky

Hi

I think I have encountered a bug here. I am using GDE 2.6.1 in unity 2017.3, macOS.
    Somehow when I use the playmaker GDE Manager Init Text Asset action to init multiple data files, only the last one is initialized.
    Also the brows button in preference is broken in unity 2017.3, you cannot use it to select data file.

7. Celestipoo

Celestipoo

Initializing with the last data file is by design.
    I'll see about the browse button. You can also browse to the data file in your project view and use the context menu to load the data file.

8. Anflo

Anflo

I am testing the free version before deciding to buy the product. I am getting this error
    Assets/GameDataEditor/Editor/GDEManagerWindowBase.cs(971,18): error CS0165: Use of unassigned local variable `colorDict'
    On Unity 2017.3
    Unity will not compile with this error.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 6:26 AM