Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks @tork12 ! We're super happy to hear all these suggestions as most of them are planned or at least in our roadmap, so it's a good indicator we're on the right track.

Let us add a few comments about where we are and where are we heading to.

A week ago we finishing the Stats module which is currently under review by the Asset Store team. Shouldn't take long before it's live. Meanwhile, we've been working on fixing and improving (with some new features we'll cover later on) Game Creator and the rest of the modules.

After updating our current packages we're going to take a small break of modules development and focus on creating a new service called Game Creator Hub (this is a secret, so shhht ;)).

After the release of our secret service called GC Hub we'll be developing a Shooter module and (thinking a bit too much ahead of time now) the AI module.

That is at least our plan. Melee, Traversal (Swimming, Climbing, ...), ... these modules are all in our roadmap and will eventually be created. We also want to create integration packages, such as officially supporting Bolt in Game Creator, Playmaker and many other packages.

2. royalgia

royalgia

"
    NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs, UnityEngine.Object context) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SerializedObject.cs:26)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/Editor.cs:523)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/Editor.cs:440)
    GameCreator.Dialogue.IDialogueItemEditor.OnEnableBase () (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Dialogue/Editor/DialogueItems/IDialogueItemEditor.cs:88)
    GameCreator.Dialogue.DialogueItemRootEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Dialogue/Editor/DialogueItems/DialogueItemRootEditor.cs:15)"

I got this Error after import GameCreator and Dialogue, please help me out :D

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  3. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @royalgia . Adding this to our list of Things To Fix. Could you tell us if Game Creator and the Dialogue still works? We forgot to add a null check, but this usually happens once (if you restart Unity it should be gone) and still, it doesn't have any negative effects apart from showing an ugly error in the console.

Could you confirm that this is the case? If the Dialogue module doesn't work then it's something more serious and we'll get hands on it right away.

royalgia likes this.
  4. royalgia

royalgia

Yeah, it's gone after restart Unity, thanks for help :D, such a nice asset pack :D

5. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thank you! :) We'll make sure to add that null check so that error doesn't pop up anymore

6. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

Hello, I would like to ask how to add character actions? For example, press Q to roll and press shift to run (these will consume variables), please forgive me for not being good at programming.
    Thx!

7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @sky_dragon . It's fairly easy. For example, if you want the character to do a roll, you can either use the animation that comes with GC for when a character hard-lands while moving (called Character@landRoll). Here are the steps to do so:
    1. Create a Trigger with the On Key Up option and set the key code property as the character Q.
    2. Make the Trigger call an Actions object
    3. Create a Gesture Action. Set the target as Player and drag and drop the Character@landRoll.
    If you hit play, the player should make a roll every time you press the Q key.

In case you want to limit the amount of rolls the character can do (for example, you could use a variable/stat called Stamina which is consumed when making a roll), all you'd need to do is to, instead calling the Actions object, call a Conditions (aka Event) object and check first if the Stamina variable/stat is greater than 5 (for example). If it is, you call the Actions you created before plus, remove 5 points of your Stamina variable or stat.

Cheers!

sky_dragon likes this.
  8. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

Thx, I got it, but for running, it is to press shift to switch the state of walk and run, how to solve this?
    Thank you again for writing this in detail!
    Cheers!

9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

It's fairly similar. You would need to use two Triggers:
    • On Key Down: To detect when the user presses the Shift
    • On Key Up: To detect when the user releases the Shift key
    In the first Trigger you should create a Character Property action and set the Can Run option to true. On the On Key Up Trigger you do the same, but instead you set the Character Property action's Can Run to false.

Check out this tutorial we made a while ago. It shows how to make a character crouch & stand holding/releasing the Shift key. It's not the same as your question, but fairly similar.

Cheers!

10. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

Thx!

11. tork12

tork12

Just purchased and seems pretty good so far. I bought all of the extra modules including dialogue. I think the example dialogue scene has an issue though. It doesn't seem to be behaving the same way that the example video I've seen on YouTube behaves. I made a screen capture video. Please have a look: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MkWfo1QaJXdRHscIl0iplsSZWsu0PCn8

12. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @tork12 thank you for the heads up! There is definitely something wrong with this. This is most likely an incompatibility introduced in the latest Game Creator update.

We're about to wrap things up with a core update and we'll get hands on fixing this issue as well as add new features to the Dialogue module.

13. tork12

tork12

Hello, since you are updating and I have a new and clean install, maybe this is worth mentioning in case you weren't aware.

Attached Files:

14. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Indeed, we'll pump the dependency number, since we'll be introducing some changes. Despite this, we're not sure this is an error, since when the minimum compatible version is lower than the current one means that the Inventory Examples work with the Inventory 0.3.1 and 0.4.1.

Thanks for the heads up anyway, we're not sure if we tested both versions or we didn't update the dependency :)

15. tork12

tork12

Loving the potential of Game Creator to make things easy for non-coders. I tried and tried and tried and looked, and tested, read the manual but I just can't figure out how this action is attached to the Door graphic. Is there a tutorial that covers raising a door like this? I'm just missing how to tell it specifically to target the blue door graphic. I tried making one so I could raise a table into the air, but not sure how to make the table a target of the raise animation. Just as I can't figure out how this door is a target of the raise action / animation. (sorry if I'm overlooking something simple)

Attached Files:

• Door.JPG
      Door.JPG
      File size:
      140.3 KB
      Views:
  16. tork12

tork12

On Fresh install, checked inventory and quest example scenes. Both had various issues. Those probably need an update with the new build. Happy to send screen shots, or video if that will help.

17. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @tork12 . Great! We're currently working on an update, so yes, if you can send them over with a small description of the issue to our email we'll add those to our roadmap and fix them for the next update.

Let us break down this mechanic. The Door object (blue wall) has an Animator component with two clips:
    • An idle door
    • A door that opens
    To switch between these two clips you just need to call the animation trigger called "Open". The Action attached to the orange cube is the one that's invoking this "Open" message to the door's animator.

An alternative way of doing this without the Animator would be, instead of using the Play Animation action, using the Transform Move action, which allows exactly what it says: It moves an object from its current position to another one within a time window. We'll update the examples so it uses this action. At the time we built that scene there wasn't this actin yet.

We'd also recommend you to watch some animation tutorials from the Unity Learn section, as they are short and straight to the point. Animation (both using Mecanim & Timeline) are super useful tools that complement seamlessly with Game Creator.

18. Zuon94

Zuon94

So, first time user here. Quick question. I have a real time day/night weather system (Enviro, to be specific.) I want NPCs in my world to have their own schedule on a day by day basis (Majora's Mask Style.) Is it possible to use Game Creator to link NPCs to the TOD clock, have them walk to locations at certain times, and pause time when spoken to?

19. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

This depends on how Enviro exposes its API. We've taken a look at Enviro's documentation and looks really easy to use. We will soon be releasing a platform where we'll be publishing integration modules that will enable Game Creator to communicate with other Asset Store packages.

This one seems like a great candidate. Right now, unless you have at least some scripting knowledge, it may not be that easy to communicate GC with Enviro. We'll keep you in the loop though, as it wouldn't take much time to make this package compatible.

20. tork12

tork12

Yes Enviro integration, and charge $5 for it just as you do your other modules so that Game Creator can continue to be supported and not die like many other assets... The $5 can go to supporting all the 100 new questions you will have to answer for each new integration you do that take away from development time. Just my opinion.

21. Zuon94

Zuon94

But... The other modules are free.

22. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

They are at the moment, but once we release the stable version of Game Creator we'll change our business model (if you can call it like that). The store will be replaced by the Game Creator Hub, which is a social store where you'll be able to download and share your own Actions, Conditions and Triggers and others from other users.

We've hit a point where we do have quite a lot of modules and more are coming soon. Some users have expressed their desire to create and share their extensions for GC so we'll be providing a hub where they can do that, which benefits everyone. By doing so, we'll be able to focus on creating better modules.

RoyS likes this.
  23. tork12

tork12

Strange, I just paid $5 each for them. I don't mind really but...

Attached Files:

24. hjupter

hjupter

I just released a Photon Network module for Game Creator and is now available on the Unity Asset Store
    http://u3d.as/1fen

25. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Congrats @hjupter ! Looks really good! Hope to get my hands on it this weekend and play around :D

26. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

In the interest of sharing I thought I'd show how you can use GC with TDS-TK.

Comment out the following lines from the following C# scripts in TDS-TK to use the GC character controller. Unit.cs(11,12,147,148,154), UnitPlayer.cs(369-413), UIMainControl.cs(150-154), and TDSTouchInput.cs(56).

This though removes movement for touchscreen input in TDS-TK. Of course there are many ways to get it back. :)

While TDS-TK has an animator controller the benefits are that GC has a better animated one, you can jump, and you have access to all of GC's features.

You can also use other controllers. In the video above you can also see an example of me using an Edy Vehicle Physics car prefab. By using GC's Enable Component action you could make it so that the GC character controller enters/exits the car.

Well hopefully someone finds this info helpful. I have found that GC works pretty well with a lot of other items from the Asset Store and I'll try to share the knowledge when I can. :)

Catsoft-Studios and StevenPicard like this.
  27. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Woah! This looks really good!

28. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

Cool and thanks :)

Here's an example of using only GC's triggers, events and actions to enter/exit a car and helicopter. It's a WIP because I'm pretty sure I can use GC's Call Method action to actually move the character controller into the vehicles.

The car is Edy's Vehicle Physics and the helicopter I downloaded free somewhere from the asset store a while ago.

Hopefully this image showing the trigger, event and actions I used to get this working with the Edy Vehicle Physics car will show correctly. You might have to download it if you're interested. I've found this useful for other things other than switching controllers.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YIU_khl7049K2buXmBLsycIclHE8D9zB

Okay I'm beat. Again, hopefully someone will find this helpful. Til next time! :)

PaulGK and Catsoft-Studios like this.
  29. WHHoog

WHHoog

How far are you on the shooting module? :D

Catsoft-Studios and uni7y like this.
  30. uni7y

uni7y

31. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

It's a bit stalled at the moment. We're heavily invested in making Game Creator stable while also making some major updates on the other modules. We'll also have to create the Game Creator Hub platform before starting the Shooter module. Sorry for the delay but hopefully making everything work flawlessly will be worth the time invested ;)

Phew! So many things and so little time :D In order to do so we'll first need to finish the Shooter module to have some things to kill. Also, before doing a platform kit we'd like to create a Traversal module so you can climb, slide, vault, hang from ledges, ...

uni7y, WHHoog and StevenPicard like this.
  32. Agoge

Agoge

I am new to this, what is the easiest way to have the character use alternate animations when they are holding an object? I am starting with an FPS setup and would like to have the character hold weapons.

33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Equipping/Unequipping weapons is coming in the next Game Creator Inventory module, so it will be easier to use then. But right now what you can do is to make an empty child game object inside the character and move it a bit in front of it.

You can use that empty object as a reference for where the (example) left hand of the player would be when holding a gun. To do so, simply use the Hand IK Action and make the Left Hand's target be the empty game object.

To make an object (like a weapon) appear on the character's hand, simply use the Attachment action and select which bone you want to attach which object. In this case, you'll want to select "Left Hand" as the bone, and the gun model as the object to attach.

Hope this is clear. Cheers!

Agoge likes this.
  34. tork12

tork12

Really glad I bought this. After reading tutorials, and trying some things, getting some complex things to happen easily. I tried to do it on my own, but can't figure out how to make an object slowly fade out. I can shrink it or make it quickly disappear, but if I want make something slowly vanish using actions, can this be done?

35. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Fading an object is quite complex if we aim to make it generic. Fading usually is a shader value that goes from 1 to 0. But this really depends on the shader. For example, the Standard one doesn't accept transparency unless you specifically tell it to. There are a number of optimizations made under the hood by Unity when an object is opaque. Furthermore, when you make a material with transparency, there are different techniques, such as the Cutout and the transparency blend.

So, in summary, it really depends on your shader. However, we do give the option to change the transparency of UI elements, since UI usually uses the default material.

Possible Solution: Not sure if it can be done, but you could try creating an animation for your object where you modify the opacity of your shader. Then, using Game Creator you could call an Animator parameter that would trigger the fade animation.

36. tork12

tork12

I'm trying to get a character (not player) to trigger an action upon enter an area/object. There is a trigger option for On Player Enter, but not an option for On Character Enter. This would be a great trigger to have so we can send NPC's to walk around and trigger events. There is a trigger for Tag enter, but I can't tag a Character. In this image I just want a character to walk from marker to marker and on the way it enters an area which triggers a sound event. Seems easy enough, but with no On Character Enter trigger, I'm not sure how to do it. Help?

Attached Files:

37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Agree, a On Character Enter would be a great addition. We'll evaluate whether to include this as part of the built-in Triggers or a downloadable one for the upcoming Game Creator Hub.

In the meantime, you can also use the On Trigger Enter, which lets you specify a collider. Because characters make us of the Character Controller (which is basically a capsule collider in steroids) you can drag and drop your character onto the collider field (see image attached). Cheers!

on-trigger-enter.png

38. tork12

tork12

I tried dragging the actual Character (not the controller) into the Other Collider slot just to see if it would work with the entire character prefab and it did. Thanks!

39. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You're welcome! Yeah exactly, when you drag and drop a game object onto a field of a certain type (in this case, a collider), it scans for that particular type throughout the entire dragged game object. Happy game making! :D

40. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

This shows switching game play from 3rd person to 2.5D and finally to top-down (sorta like the beginning of the game Nier Automata). I used Game Creator, Final IK, TDS-TK and Playmaker to do this. No actual coding needed.

I was also testing out GC's new Stats system by shooting the spellcaster at the beginning of the video.

Comment out the lines from the following C# scripts in TDS-TK including the ones from the previous video I posted.

UIMainControl.cs (164), TDSTouchInput.cs (56)

Note that you don't even need TDS-TK for this to work. As long as you have a prefab weapon that shoots and things to shoot at, the switching game play styles will still work. I'm thinking with GC's new Stats module that I might not even need TDS-TK. (I do like its weapons though). :)

Although if it wasn't for all I've learned I'd almost feel like I've been wasting my time since the Shooter module is being planned/developed for Game Creator. But hey, that's the kind of news where I'm glad I wasted time. ;)

Hey if anyone is interested I plan on trying to make a tutorial video on how I made what's in the above video when I find the time (although it's still a sort of WIP). It got sort of involved and hopefully I can save some people some time. :)

41. tork12

tork12

Cool looking game. I was just about to try and figure out how to get particles to shoot out of things and hit things in the correct direction. A how to on that would be much appreciated.

42. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

Hey :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest I was an expert or anything by offering help. It just took me a lot of time by trial and error and searching the net to get what's in the above video working so I was just thinking I could save someone the time if they're trying to do something similar.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?stay#!/content/52905

ParticleBulletSystem is free on the Asset Store and it seems like it might be helpful to you. I just downloaded it not too long ago myself and have been meaning to study how it works. Honestly, I really haven't worked too much with particle systems yet and any particle systems you see in the video are from items I've purchased on the store. Hopefully one day I'll find the time to experiment and learn to use them proficiently. :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope I was of some help. :)

43. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Woo-hoo! Looking good! If you decide to make a tutorial, let us know and we can help you or provide assistance in case you have questions. But seriously, this looks really good!

You could use the Look At action right after instantiating a particle effect and set it to look at the player. The Look At rotates an object towards a target.

I_hope_Unity_DIES likes this.
  44. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

I'm waiting to the shooter module and melle to be in so i can purchase this fantastic asset

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@JC_LEON unfortunately we had to put on hold the Shooter module. We're working around the clock to update all modules and make the Game Creator stable enough to move it out of Beta and make it compatible with the latest versions of Unity. Moreover, we still need to develop the Game Creator Hub, a central repository where we hope users will share their Actions, Conditions and Triggers.

One last challenge we'll be soon facing is the new Unity Editor interface. Unity 2019.1 will change the Editor's user interface and this will greatly affect how Game Creator looks. We hope to take this as an opportunity to improve the current layout.

46. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

hi many thanks for your reply and great explaination...hope this kit all the best I'll continue to follow your great work and when i'll see kit accomplish my needs i'llpurchase it for sure with all its addons..

47. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

Hey Cool and Thanks! :)

I'll probably have some questions about advanced character states at some point and reading recent posts maybe a quite a bit more. Unity is constantly changing as always.

But until then I definitely plan on posting some tutorials when I can. :)

48. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I_hope_Unity_DIES likes this.
  49. yurilin1

yurilin1

there seems a "slip" when the character being inited on start(the fall animation then idle where ever how accurate you put it exactly on ground)
    How to fix that.Thanks.

50. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @yurilin1 yes, we are aware of that. We expect to find a solution to this issue in the next update ;)