Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. JakeSayingWoosh

JakeSayingWoosh

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  2. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You're welcome!

Awesome! Glad you're having fun with Game Creator :D! If you get stuck with something, even if the problem is in your end, drop us a line and tell us. We're trying to make Game Creator as much intuitive as possible (we can either rename a thing, show tip messages, add a documentation paragraph with a warning, etc...).

Keep rocking!

3. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

well right now its simple stuff im trying to find in the docs, like adding +1 to a coin variable (need to know what format its saved in) and how to make it go up when i click a character or object etc, i couldnt find how to access a global variable
    (trying to get a kill counter ui text so when i click on a npc (i dont destroy it i just move him off screen so i can teleport him back in when needed) to go up by one and save it between gameplays

4. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Variables are saved as player-prefs. We don't recommend accessing their value directly as we load onto memory the value and only write it to disk whenever the game is saved. If you read the value from player-prefs you could be reading an outdated version. On the other hand, we're planning on adding an encryption layer so saving games is a little bit more secure.

To increase the amount of coins you can use the "Set Currency" action, which allows you to set, add, substract coins.

This is somewhat a little bit more advanced, though we're working on a Trigger that detects when a variable value changes. Also, we'll be launching a separate set of components that print variable values and automagically get updated.

But you can still use this using Actions. Check out the available actions list. You can easily chain them to do what you want to do. For example, you can use the Variable Int action to increate the value of a variable when you kill an NPC, use the Set Active to disable the NPC object and use the Transform action to move it somewhere off-screen.

5. JakeSayingWoosh

JakeSayingWoosh

I made a tutorial for making holdable objects

Havok_ZA and Catsoft-Studios like this.
  6. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Awesome! Keep them coming! :)

JakeSayingWoosh likes this.
  7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Good evening everyone! We're very excited to present our brand-new module! The Quests system!

quests-module.png

It allows to easily create any type of Quests, chain them together to create storylines, create optional branches, ... All fully integrated with Game Creator and the use of the visual scripting Actions, Events and Triggers.

You can download the Beta version for free at store.gamecreator.io
    You can also find all the related documentation at docs.gamecreator.io/quests

Happy game making!

8. Ascensi

Ascensi

Thank you so much! That was very quick dev, I was worried it would take several more months lol.. I feel like I can finally dive into Game Creator fully! A Quest System is one of the main elements to my game.

9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Glad we exceeded the milestone expectation :D

Just as a side note. We'll now be focusing on adding some smaller features to Game Creator, fix some bugs and prepare it for the two upcoming modules: the Stats/Attributes (name pending) and the Shooter module (which we're so excited to start working on that we want to fast-forward time!)

By the way @Ascensi. If you want you can send us a video of the game you're working on. We'll soon (well, not that soon) be adding a new section to our website showcasing games made with Game Creator. Completely optional, of course.

Happy game making everyone!

Ascensi and JakeSayingWoosh like this.
  10. unicat

unicat

It seems to be fixed in 0.55, thank you. :)

11. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Was about to give you a heads up. You're welcome! :)

12. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Good to see the great progress! I've been a bit scarce but really liking what I see.
    What have you guys got planed for enemy following / attacking player i.e Enemy behavior and so forth?

13. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yes, but it's going to be split in different modules. On one hand, the next update will allow you to make other Characters follow a target within a radius (like having a team squad).

We also have planned releasing a new module called Shooter, where you can manage different long-range weapons and spells. It will come with some built-in animations so you can play around it right away.

As for the AI, you can already combine Actions to create some sort of, though not in the traditional way. We're not sure whether to implement our own behavior tree for Game Creator or create an integration package with (for example) Behavior Designer or any other bullet-proof package.

As a side note, we've partnered with Ninjutsu Games and they will be developing a Multiplayer and a Faction AI module. Can't say much else, as it's their project ;).

We're open to suggestions! We'd really love to code our own AI solution, but it requires a lot of time and we want to carefully manage our resources towards things that are the most necessary.

14. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Catsoft-Studios in terms of AI if you design your own simple module please add support for the AI to hear things, approach the direction and time out/revert back to position if there is no sound within so many seconds.. maybe auto scout within a defined radius. Things just need to appear somewhat realistic, they don't need to learn behaviors unless people need a third party solution. I think that if you add support for third party first this will add more of a complete framework to Game Creator without customers needing to wait for you to code your own solution - your visual game creating style maybe better/easier but you need not have to code everything today ;) I'd love so see an automatic menu system to drop into the game, starting with basics, music, voice volume, save, load, delete game -things that can be adapted/modified rather than made completely from scratch.

15. hjupter

hjupter

Hi there. I'm the one currently working on a AI module for GC, so far the features include: Follow, Wander, Patrol, Stay, Flee, Engage and more, I'm currently working on make the AI hear things right now:
    NPCHear.png
    Here is a quick video

RoyS, Havok_ZA, Ascensi and 2 others like this.
  16. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Ah that's great!
    I also like the "Hear things" "See things" moveto and patrol ideas.
    Very cool! :)

17. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Good evening everyone! We're excited to present a new Game Creator tutorial! Learn how to create a jetpack jump from scratch. This includes using particle effects, sounds and changing Player properties.

We're also want to inform you that update 0.6.1 is going full steam towards production and if everything goes as planned we'll be pushing the update next week.

Also, the Quests module has been in review for a couple of weeks now (c'mon Unity team :)!) and shouldn't take long before it's available in the Asset Store.

Happy game making!

18. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

Good evening, team! I'm trying to follow along with the tutorials, and have run into a couple of problems.

1 - For the Sphere in the Characters tutorial (#5), you need to select a Trigger of "On Cursor Raycast" and NOT "On Mouse Left Click". In fact, I can't get the latter to work at all, so I don't know what it's looking for.

2 - For the different movement methods in the Player tutorial (#6), Click to Move just does not work at all. NullReferenceException, but I can't figure out what I'm missing... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm using a Terrain, so maybe there's a layer or tag that I should set it to?

THAT SAID, this thing is AWESOME!! I've spent more time than I care to admit to publicly playing with different gestures, movements, and responses for what happens when you touch that guy's sphere... Everything is SUPER intuitive and fun and friggin' EASY!!

Any advice on number 2 would be appreciated. It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Cheers!

~~ chainsawpenguin ~~

EDIT: For the record, Follow Pointer works just fine (though he only jumps straight up, and turns back to look at the camera when he jumps, so there's something weird there...). With Click to Follow, nothing at all happens. He just doesn't move. With Directional, he works as expected.

EDIT 2: Weirdly, the Follow Pointer ALSO generates the NullReferenceException, but it actually works... hmm....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  19. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @chainsawpenguin ! We're glad you're enjoying Game Creator! :)

Yes, this may cause some confusion. Unity uses an interface called IPointerHandles which detect when the mouse pointer is up, down, entering a collider, etc. We use this to detect left, right and middle clicks on objects with the On Mouse Left Click.

The problem is that, for some reason, Unity doesn't use these interface methods when the cursor is locked. We already talked to them and looks like it's not a bug and it's by design. So our solution was to create the On Cursor Raycast.

Check that in the Player Advanced Properties you don't have the Use NavMesh property set to true. Or mark it and bake a navigation mesh. Otherwise should work. If this is not the case, could you provide us with some screenshots of the scene configuration or steps to reproduce it?

Yeah, definitely doesn't look right. We can't seem to be able to reproduce this. Can you send us a screenshot or a video of the scene? This will help us narrow down the error.

There's another Unity issue which throws a NullReferenceException(null). You can ignore these and if you restart Unity they disappear. It's an benign exception which hopefully will be fixed in a forthcoming Unity version.

20. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

Check that in the Player Advanced Properties you don't have the Use NavMesh property set to true. Or mark it and bake a navigation mesh. Otherwise should work. If this is not the case, could you provide us with some screenshots of the scene configuration or steps to reproduce it?

---> That was it! Works like a charm!!

Thanks for the detailed response!!

21. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

:) Glad we could help!

22. Ascensi

Ascensi

Is it possible to add nav mesh to a character? I have creatures that I'd like to chase a character & player and once caught up to the player can actually climb and hold onto a particular area.. is this possible? not sure how it could be done efficiently and conveniently any other way.

Also I'm using a mesh terrain. I hope the AI system will work with it.

23. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I guess the question is addressed to @hjupter but maybe you mean using a Character with a Navigation Mesh? That should be perfectly possible. Game Creator also supports off-mesh links (for climbing and jumping around) but the animations are not yet setup. You can always use the Action Jump to jump from one place to another.

24. Ascensi

Ascensi

Lets say the ai (a small creature) can dynamically walk/run anywhere but I'd like it to be able to chase a player or other character and be able to run up their backs/bodies if marked as a target or an object as the target and this target can be passed to the other player or character.. but overall the ai creature catch up to the player/character and climb on them either attacking them while attached or eating from the target..

25. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Okay so to do this there are different systems involved. The first one is the Navigation Mesh. This allows you to tell Characters: "Hey, go to that position" and instead of going in a straight line, the character will avoid all obstacles in between. To be able to chase the Player, all you need to specify is the target as the Player. Fairly easy.

Here comes the tricky part. So make a Character climb onto the Player's back I'd do this using a custom animation. You can play a Jump animation and change the parent of the enemy as a bone of the Player (for example the arm) and it will stick there following the Player's animation, like some sort of parasite.

With the upcoming update you'll be able to attach and remove objects from Character limbs, though you can already do this using the Transform Action.

Ascensi likes this.
  26. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone! Here's a quick update on what we've been working this last month.

You can now download Game Creator 0.6.1. This update introduces a lot of changes, including a re-architecture of the Actions system to greatly improve the overall performance. Other new features worth noticing are a brand new Locomotion system with smoother animations, the Attachment Action that allows to bind any object to a Character's bone (guns, hats, ... anything!), a new IK limb system to procedurally reach objects with hands and a better save/load system. You can read the full list of changes unfolding the following block.

- Massive increase in Actions performance
    - Redone part of the Locomotion controller
    - Save/Load data between scenes
    - Save tracks single and additive scenes
    - Automatic loading single and additive scenes
    - Support for Gestures with Avatar Masks
    - See Variable runtime values in inspector
    - Actions, Events and Conditions copy & paste
    - Hold Triggers can fire on timeout and key-up
    - Adventure camera clipWall layer mask
    - Set Character face mouse ground projection
    - Some igniters allow to store target variables
    - Added Smart Head IK
    - Touchscript skin support in General tab
    - Simple Message skin support in General tab
    - Allow capital characters in Variables
    - Decouple Preference Window tabs
    - Character onJump programmatic event
    - Added Interactive programmatic events
    - Can change Jump Force with Action
    - New Action: Character Follow
    - New Action: Attach objects to bones
    - New Action: Character Hand IK
    - New Action: Transform Move from A to B
    - New Action: Light
    - New Action: Gravity
    - New Condition: Character capsule cast
    - New Action: Load Scene Additive
    - New Trigger: On Save and On Load
    - New Trigger: On Global Variable Change
    - Sustained and Burst camera shakes
    - Fixed default NavMeshAgent component
    - Fixed Cursor Raycast undefined bug
    - Fixed VariablesManager signature methods
    - Fixed Camera Controller NaN error
    - Fixed time scale on Character Animators

But that's not all! We've just updated the Inventory module with a new Merchant system that allows you to create a Merchant object and drop which objects should this vendor sell.

merchant.png

Once you've done that, all you need to do is to call the Open Merchant UI action and voilá! A floating menu will pop with the full list of items. You can even limit the amount of wares a merchant can sell. For example, an Alchemist might have 10 Health Potions but only one mana potion.

That's all for now. Happy game making!

Havok_ZA, WHHoog, Ascensi and 2 others like this.
  27. WHHoog

WHHoog

Catsoft-Studios and uni7y like this.
  28. uni7y

uni7y

WHHoog and Catsoft-Studios like this.
  29. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

WHHoog and uni7y like this.
  30. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Just a quick update regarding the Inventory module and the new Merchant System, we've put up a very short tutorial showing how to create a vendor. Have a great weekend everyone!

31. uni7y

uni7y

that sounds good :)

32. f1ac

f1ac

I'm unable to download latest version from the io store - invoice number is accepted, but not being stored for some reason.

33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Send us an email with your invoice number and your email at hello@catsoft-studios.com and we'll try to fix this and see what the problem is :)

Edit: Also, does it show an error message? Where are you getting stuck? When entering the invoice number or when downloading the package?

34. f1ac

f1ac

@Catsoft-Studios tried it one more time and it worked, but this time i've closed left side drawer before accessing downloads. Not sure if this is the reason it worked, or you just fixed something :)

35. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

How strange. Well, glad it's working now. It may possible be that, because we're using Cloudflare to cache the website, some parts weren't correctly updated. We'll run some tests to make sure everything is working fine. Cheers!

36. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

vacation.png

A quick notice. We'll be out for vacation between the 17th of July till the 5th of August. During this period, support will be very limited and exclusively via email.

We'll make sure to have some good rest and be back with our batteries fully charged! Cheers everyone!

pixelsteam, uni7y and Havok_ZA like this.
  37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

The Game Creator team is back!​

we-are-back.png

During the following days we'll get up to date answering all emails sent during these last 3 weeks and we'll get back to developing more modules for Game Creator, starting with the Stats module and the upcoming Shooter module!

Shodan0101, RoyS, Havok_ZA and 3 others like this.
  38. RoyS

RoyS

Will the shooter module include bow and arrow and crossbow?

Catsoft-Studios and StevenPicard like this.
  39. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yes. The Shooter module will allow to handle almost any type of long-range weapon/tool. This module is in draft and we're not sure yet of the technical details. We're aiming to create a generic system you can configure to adapt it to your game's needs.

It will be heavily based on animation, so to customize it you'll need to have some degree of knowledge on 3D animation with third-party tools (such as Blender). Despite this, we'll ship the module with some working examples (gun, rifle, bow, ...) so you can have an idea of how to create your custom weapons or modify the existing ones.

Havok_ZA, RoyS and StevenPicard like this.
  40. NessieChan

NessieChan

Loving this asset so far, really has been helpful to make my prototype look better and has saved me lots of hours of coding (which wouldn't have looked this good anyway, btw). I'm just having some trouble, mainly with the camera:

1) How do I use the "look at" action (or from a hotspot) with a first person camera?
    2) My fps camera keeps seeing my player. I have made his mesh renderer invisible but this seems like a non-optimal solution
    3) I have another asset, for holding and throwing objects around using physics. However, it uses the main camera in its hierarchy of prefabs and scripts, and it doesn't work with either the Main Camera or the Motor Camera. Do you think this can be fixable?
    4) My hotspots are "too small" and they are "inside" the object, so non-visible. Couldn't find any option for that. Also, the hotspot look at sphere is a little small, can the maximum size be changed via script? I don't want to tinker where I shouldn't!

Again, I'm loving this asset. I've read everything and I'm watching everything, but some things are just a bit confusing for me yet. Apologies if this has been talked about before, couldn't find anything anywhere!

41. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Nessie,

Thanks for the kind words! Let us break down your questions.

The LookAt action is used to make an object rotate towards a target. Despite the name, it has nothing to do with a Character looking at something. We chose this name so we kept the Unity convention (see the LookAt documentation from Unity).

The best way to do so would be to add a Fixed Camera Motor in front of the object and use the Change Camera action to transition to this one. Once you finish the interaction (like having a conversation with another character) you can transition back to your FPS camera motor.

No problem at all, you can disable the mesh renderer to hide the character. We made the character because a third-person controller is one of the most complex controllers. For first person controllers without bodies, you can just disable the renderer and you're good to go.

If you want to scratch some extra performance from the animations that won't be displayed, you can also disable the Character Animator controller.

Sure. To identify the main camera, Game Creator uses a component called "HookCamera". You can untag the Game Creator's camera and tag the other camera with the tag "MainCamera".

We don't have many clues about how the other package works. If you can give us some hints we might be able to solve this with a couple of directions. Despite this, a community member of Game Creator made a video tutorial on how to grab and throw objects using the tools (though now I see he's closed his youtube channel).

Each hotspot should have a separate radius that defines how big the object is affected. Hmm maybe you're referring to the icon? That's just a gizmo, doesn't have any impact on the game. I'm attaching an image that exemplifies this.

image.png

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Happy game making! :)

42. keepthachange

keepthachange

how would this do with a 3d platformer like this.

43. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Shouldn't be a problem making a game like this one, but let us write down a couple of considerations.
    • Melee combat is not implemented. You can have a simple combat system using Trigger in front of the player and when it swings its sword damage the enemies.
    • The Stats module (which handles health, mana, stamina or any RPG stat) is not yet available for sale. We've just finished the product and we'll push the package to the Asset Store, but new packages usually take 3 weeks to be reviewed.
    We think you're good to go with the rest: Game Creator comes with a default character controller you can just drop the 3D model and you'll have a full featured player. NPCs are as easy to create as right clicking and selecting: Create -> Character. Then you can give them some intelligence and follow the player when it's within a certain radius, etc...

Happy game making!

Duffer123 likes this.
  44. keepthachange

keepthachange

I bought it before asking lol, and I think i can do the melee combat stuff. the state module ill wait for.

I havnt got time to check it out due to my unity is 5.6 and it tells me to update my unity but, I will be able to do double jumps and climbing with this?.

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@keepthachange you'll need Unity 2017.1 at least for Game Creator to work. The officially supported version is the 2017.4 LTS (Long-Term-Support). Unity 5.6 doesn't have the Playable API and thus character's won't be able to do gestures or have animation states.

As for double jumping, we're working on an update that you'll be able to define the amount of double-jumps you can do. Shouldn't take long for this update to be live. Climbing, on the other hand is not yet implemented but in our roadmap ;)

Cheers!

46. kodagames

kodagames

I just stumbled across your system and it look amazing!
    Would this work for creating 2d games? Im a hyper casual type of gamer.
    I guess a better or another question would be what kind of logic style games can be created (i.e. clicker games (Adcap), 2048 (math based), merge plane (which Im working on now :)), twisty arrow, 1010!, ballz, Piano Tiles (now magic tiles, a favorite with no main player), etc.)?

I love that you have videos explaining actions, events etc.. but what are the possibilities of creating the above types of games using only Game Creator?

Appreciate everything! :D
    P.S. I wold imagine mobile is supported?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  47. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@kodagames thanks! Game Creator was built having adventure and action games in mind. You can definitely create casual games though. Despite this, 2D support is limited. We plan on supporting it in the future, but we wanted to focus first on having a stable package rather than adding it all possible features.

This is a tricky question :D. Depends a lot on the game. If it requires some kind of AI (like Match-3) then it's a bit more difficult, though possible. For games like Flappy Bird would be piece of cake once you get the hang of how Actions, Triggers and Events work.

You can shoot us an email with the specifics of your game and we can help you decide whether Game Creator is the right tool for the job.

Definitely yes ;)

48. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

This asset seems so wonderful, however, it can integrate with other assets? like Third Person Controller - Shooter Template

49. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to use these third-person controllers as your gameplay elements and then use Game Creator for adding events, such as when the player enters a zone, spawn enemies, open a door when the player approaches it, use the camera motors to compose cinematic angles and mechanics like these, then yes, definitely. All you'd need to do is to add the HookPlayer component to your third person controller so Game Creator knows which object is the player.

On the other hand, if you use a third person controller, you won't be able to use Actions that affect the Player, such as changing its properties, or moving it to Markers. This is due to these Actions require our Character Controller in order to work.

Edit: You can drop us a line and tell us a bit more about your game so we can (honestly) discuss if Game Creator is the right tool for you before you purchase it.

50. tork12

tork12

This looks like it's getting pretty good. Hoping game creator can be the one that finally does it all. Suggestions to consider. Integrations: Weather system -> Enviro. Water system --> Aquas. Terrain -> Gaia / CTS

Adventure Creator Integration

I've never had any luck with magic and spell particles being done easily. I would pay for the following modules for sure...

Magic and Spells Combat Module
    Shooter Combat Module
    Melee Combat Module

GUI Module that has various layouts to choose from (5 - 10) and can easily put in custom graphics.

Action Module: Enables Swimming, Climbing, Flying, Zipline, (I bought all of these from Invector, but can't make a game so I'm stuck and still looking for the best game solution...--> Game Creator ... I promise you many people will love to have action add-ons.

Mount Module: Be able to ride inside, or on top of things. Horses, dinosaurs, cars, whatever.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018