Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. RoyS

RoyS

I know we don't have a weapon or melee system yet, but is there another way I can have the player destroy small enemies like scorpions and snakes or frogs (to eat for survival).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  2. Gunhi

Gunhi

I got many annoying errors on MAC
    -----
    NullReferenceException: (null)
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs, UnityEngine.Object context) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SerializedObject.cs:26)
    UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:193)
    UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:185)
    GameCreator.Camera.ICameraMotorTypeEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Camera/Editor/ICameraMotorTypeEditor.cs:28)
    -----
    The game still working but uncountable editor errors show up. I also tried with Unity 2017.1 -> 2017.3

3. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure! You can use the "Destroy" action to destroy an object and then use a variable to keep track of your health. Coming on 0.5.1 we'll be introducing (surprise!) a new variable system with Local variables support, which will allow you to more easily keep track of every character's attributes.

It's something we're dealing with ;). If you re-launch Unity these errors should stop appearing.

4. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Good news everyone! We already announced it one post above, but here's the official confirmation. Game Creator 0.5.1 is coming soon with Local Variables support!

local-variables-forum.png

We've overhauled the entire system to provide a more reliable structure that admits more types, not only primitive ones. Get ready to save Game Objects, Rigidbodies, Transforms, ...

More information soon. Don't forget to join our Discord server for real-time discussions, answers and showcase your work!

Havok_ZA, Ascensi, GMax and 1 other person like this.
  5. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Quick update on the new variable system. Due to a community petition, we've added the option to tag Global Variables with multiple tags so they can be more easily organized. Here's an example.

tags.png

This new feature (and more) will be available next week in Game Creator update 0.5.1! Happy game making everyone!

GMax and RoyS like this.
  6. RoyS

RoyS

Trying to set up a First Person Player. Added player character and added camera motor and set it as a child of the player. When I hit "Play" I get a black screen with the message "display 2 no cameras rendering".

7. Design-Jake

Design-Jake

It might be because your in the second camera render.

8. ErnestMakesGames

ErnestMakesGames

Hello! This may be a simple question, but how does the Game Creator variables system work? If I set up a variable in Game Creator, am I able to reference it in a C# script? Thanks!

9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yup. You probably need to click on "Displays" on the Game view and select Display 1. I'll post a screenshot when I get to the office.

Yes. This week we'll be launching a big update on the variable's system. Much more flexible and with support for local and global variables. We'll be also updating the documentation, but here's a sneak peek:

Code (CSharp):
    1. VariablesManager.GetGlobal<Type>("var-name");
    2. VariablesManager.SetGlobal<Type>("var-name", value);
    Code (CSharp):
    1. VariablesManager.GetLocal<Type>(target, true, "var-name");
    2. VariablesManager.SetLocal<Type>(target, true, "var-name", value);
    Local variables will need to reference a Game Object target and a boolean value will indicate if the variable system should depth-look for the variable's name in its children.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    RoyS and ErnestMakesGames like this.
  10. ErnestMakesGames

ErnestMakesGames

I look forward to the updated variables system! Ah, this is a good time to be a Unity beginner. :D

11. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hey @RoyS here's a screenshot as promised ;-)

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 7.10.06 PM.png

We're also very excited! Can't wait to see what you guys create with it. Got to admit we're a little nervous because we want to ship it bug-free and as smooth as silk. Fingers crossed!

RoyS, ErnestMakesGames and GMax like this.
  12. psy89

psy89

Hi there,
    I really love this asset! It's pure awesomeness :)!

A quick question:
    Is it possible to add different audio/speech files for each language? In a dialogue?

13. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @psy89 ! Thank you! Unfortunately that's unsupported. We've thought that it is already hard enough to have one single language completely voiced over. Adding one audio file per language would over-complicate the inspector view.

14. Ascensi

Ascensi

15. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Haven't taken a look. Making Game Creator compatible with other AI packages is a highly requested feature. I'm adding ICE Control feature to the list ;)

Havok_ZA and Ascensi like this.
  16. bwv1056

bwv1056

Hi, I think there is a little mistake in the "Actions/Objects/ActionTransform.cs" script at lines 80 and 81 where the quaternion´s argument should be "this.rotation"

case RELATIVE.Local : targetTrans.localRotation = Quaternion.Euler(this.position); break;
    case RELATIVE.Global : targetTrans.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(this.position); break;

17. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Oops! You're right! Thanks for the heads up! Update 0.5.1 is already under review but we've already fixed it for the next one.

bwv1056 likes this.
  18. RoyS

RoyS

I've watched the FPS Camera video, but am getting this error. Also, in the video, the camera is watching the player run around, but I'm assuming I'm supposed to child the "Main Camera" to the player? I get this error even when I try and child the "Main Camera" to the player.

Component of type UnityEngine.Camera could not be found in object Player
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogErrorFormat(String, Object[])
    GameCreator.Core.Hooks.IHook`1:Get() (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Core/Mono/Hooks/IHook.cs:37)
    GameCreator.Characters.PlayerCharacter:GetMainCamera() (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Characters/Mono/Characters/PlayerCharacter.cs:145)
    GameCreator.Characters.PlayerCharacter:UpdateInputDirectional() (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Characters/Mono/Characters/PlayerCharacter.cs:93)
    GameCreator.Characters.PlayerCharacter:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Characters/Mono/Characters/PlayerCharacter.cs:61)

Also, I tried downloading the "examples" from your site and got an error message.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  19. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @RoyS Sorry, our bad. The FPS video is quite outdated. We recorded in when there wasn't an FPS Camera Motor.

To create a First Person Camera Motor, simply select it from the Camera Motor dropdown. You don't even need to place it inside the player, it will automatically track the player's head.

As for the example scene's error, update 0.5.1 changed some Actions and broke compatibility with the example scenes (which we forgot to check). Next week we'll be pushing 0.5.2 update with all this fixed.

PS: I'm updating the video description to reflect that it's outdated and there's a better way to make an FPS camera fine more fine grain control over the movement.

Cheers!

20. RoyS

RoyS

So to create a FPS player
    1-Click GC Menu to add player
    2-Select "Main Camera" and in Inspector "Add Component"-GC-Camera-Camera Motor
    3-On pulldown, select "First Person Camera"
    4-Select check box "Is Main Camera Motor"

Still doesn't work.

21. bwv1056

bwv1056

Try this: add a "camera motor" component to the player and a "camera controller" component to the camera. Then set the "camera motor" to be the"current camera motor" in the camera controller.

player.jpg

main_camera.jpg

RoyS and Catsoft-Studios like this.
  22. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks @bwv1056 You're faster than the wind :D

bwv1056 likes this.
  23. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

A quick last time heads up! We've just pushed a new Game Creator version that will fix most (hopefully all) issues introduced with version 0.5.1.

0.5.2.png

So, what's new? The main feature is that we've rebuild the entire variable system so we have both Global Variables and Local Variables. We've also added support for more variable types, such as Game Objects, Rigidbodies, Color, Textures, Sprites, Vector3, ... A lot of types! Including Null!

More information coming soon!

Havok_ZA, bwv1056 and RoyS like this.
  24. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We just released a new tutorial featuring Gestures and States.

We're really excited about this tool! One thing that bugs developers is the fact that you need to drag and drop animations onto an Animator Controller (Mecanim), setup the right connections and then play those using animator inputs.

It's a very unpleasant and unmaintainable way of dealing with animations, as adding one in the middle of the development can be trouble some and lead to a spaghetti mecanim canvas.

With Gestures & States you won't even have to deal with Unity's Animator. You want to play an animation? Use the "Play Gesture" action and drop the animation you want. Game Creator automagically manages the Playable Graph so you don't even have to know what a Playable Graph is :D.

GMax, Bhanshee00, f1ac and 2 others like this.
  25. Design-Jake

Design-Jake

Awesome stuff!

26. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

NICE!

27. f1ac

f1ac

Is it possible to simplify handling of a common case when I want the character to be in a state while holding down a key, or to alternate between two states when pressing the same key? For example I want to be in crouched state if C key is down. Currently I can create two triggers, one of which reacts to keyDown and the other one to keyUp. Another example, I want to toggle between crouched state and normal state when pressing C key. I can probably store the state in a variable and then check it in a condition. Both cases seem too complicated for such a common use case. I can imagine exposing character state to conditions would simplify toggling, but can't think of a way to simplify "while key held down" case. Maybe I'm missing something and over-complicating things?

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  28. f1ac

f1ac

Oh, and another question. Is there a key responsible for toggling walk/run?

29. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yeah, we understand it's a little bit too much of work doing so. You can also create a boolean local variable, and using one single Trigger (On Key Up) check the value of that variable and toggle the character's state while also changing the variable's value.

Yup, well, you have an action that allows you to set the "Can Run" property. It's inside the Character Properties action. You can customize the behavior using Triggers, so you can make the player only walk when holding shift, or maybe toggling it, or even making the player run around, unless entering a house, where it can only walk.

30. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Quick update! We have pushed version 0.5.4. It's under review and should be live around Monday or Tuesday. If you don't want to wait.... We have some excellent news for you :D

store-builds.png

Introducing the new Builds section in our Store! Once you have purchased Game Creator from the Unity Asset Store you can freely download new Alpha, Beta, Patch and Stable releases from within the store. This allows us to more quickly iterate over and you get updates faster and without the Asset Store reviewing times.

(Here comes the marketing catch phrase) What are you waiting for? Download Game Creator now and access the future of Game development!

Cheers!

Havok_ZA, GMax and artCOR like this.
  31. unicat

unicat

Hi, i`m not so happy with the FPSCamera motor. I am using my own character and if i begin to walk or run the camera always moves slowly behind my characters head. How can i prevent this ?

Edit: It seems with the default character too

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  32. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

The Camera Controller has a couple of dampening values for position and rotation. Set both of them to 0 and this will be fixed.

33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Here's a screenshot ;)

camera-dampening.png

GMax likes this.
  34. unicat

unicat

I have this, but it doesn`t help. If i begin to walk or run, the camera goes behind the head. If the character(player) stops, the camera goes back on its start position. You can try this yourself. I only have a plane and your standart character in the scene.

35. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Not sure if we quite understand what you mean. So when a Character/Player starts walking or running, he leans forwards. That's maybe why you see the head popping in front of your First Person Camera. We'd recommend using a character model without a head to avoid this problems.

If you didn't mean this, could you make a GIF/video of the problem?

36. unicat

unicat

If the character leans forward, shouldn`t the camera following ? "Losing the head" is not a possibility for me because i want to change between first and third person in game.

Maybe i can switch between a headless and a one with a head ingame.
    Will try this, thank you.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

In theory, you should be able to attach the camera to the character's head in order to have the most realistic approach. But in practice this leads to motion sickness. Humans are very good at stabilizing one's frustrum view but are not that good while using the screen as your own eyes.

Out of curiosity, if you are an Overwatch player, you'll notice that when doing a roll with Hanzo, the camera lowers a bit and then returns to it's original position. That's because making a camera perform a 360 degree pitch would be very disorienting for the player. The same happens with the walking and running head bobbing. Most games add a subtle head movement, but using the 3D model's animation would be too much.

Instead of using two models, you can use the Motor's Position Offset values to slightly increase the Z value so the camera stays at the nose of the character (we've seen that a value of 0.5 gives good results).

Note. We've also detected a small bug. This offset is set in world coordinates but should be in local coordinates to the character's orientation. We'll fix this right away. In the meantime, just add this 0.5 offset to the Z value and when the next update goes live we'll give you a heads up so you can check if everything works fine ;-)

Cheers!

38. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Here's a new teaser trailer of the upcoming tutorial for Game Creator! We've been investing some more time and resources into videos as they seem they are the most effective way of teaching about the Game Creator capabilities.

This time we'll break down some of the core functions and see how with just 5 actions you can crack up an entire Jetpack system with tweak-able parameters and ready for production.

Havok_ZA, Bhanshee00, Ascensi and 2 others like this.
  39. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

Greetings..

really excited with the system so far but i just started to dig into it and i changed the default idle animation and when i hit play the model is standing a few inches above ground during idle.. ive tried several different idles and the only one i can get on the ground is the default idle..prolly a long shot just explaining my problem but all i did was open the animator controller and dragged in a idle animation

Update: setting the skin width on the character controller to 0.0001 puts my guy on the floor during idle, but now when i move the feet are under ground..even with a blank animator controller with just a idle animation my dude rises up based off skin width..0.08 makes him rise on the y axis 0.800 in play mode

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  40. RJP3

RJP3

Hello,

Tool looks great!!

Question - how is touch control handled for Mobile (iOS and Android) ? Is it swipe or touch screen like mouse? Is it 8 directions?

Thanks - Russell

41. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

dunno if its a good fix but i added an offset of 0.08 to the y transform in the new idle animation and now both idle and run are on the floor :)

42. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Green Traveler. We've seen this before. The best way of dealing with this is by modifying the 3D animation feet position. Here's a screenshot of our idle animation. Each model may vary, so try playing around until you are satisfied.

character-feet.png

Depends on the Player input type and camera. If you select a Directional input, a virtual Joystick will appear on touch-screen devices. If the Player's input is set to Point & Click you just need to tap the environment and the character will go to that position, etc...

touchstick.png

For the camera works the same way. If the current camera system is the Adventure Camera (orbits around the player and follows from a distance) swiping the screen will pan the camera around its target.

43. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

That's great! I'm leaving the explanation of how to solve this above so anyone with the same problem can also fix this. Happy game making!

44. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

How would I go about spawning an NPC that chases the player?

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Create a Character object and add your own model if you want and customize it. Add a Trigger component that fires On Start and calls the Action Move Character and set the Player as its target.

That's all you need. The animation, obstacle avoidance and everything else is automagically handled under the hood for you ;)

Havok_ZA likes this.
  46. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

When I instantiate them they are running to the player starting position, but are not following him after that and just stand at the players spawn point when they get there.

47. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Okay, so you want them to keep following them. This is currently not possible, but we've received this feature request and it's already in queue for the upcoming update. We're about tho complete the new Quest module and work on this.

The new Action will be called "Follow Target", which will allow to keep a character from a certain distance radius. That way you can define how far and how close you want other characters to follow the player.

Havok_ZA likes this.
  48. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

well i can redesign the scene a bit..i have one enemy im trying to get to spawn in random spots in a small room
    up to max number based off a variable if i can figure that out, but is there a way to make so when they spawn they
    run towards where my character is currently in the room...right now they all just spawn and run to the spot where my player starts even if i go across the room, thanks for your time

49. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

well i got a problem when i build the scene on android i cant move my player..works fine in the editor
    if i remove the npc character i can move but with a default character and no actions he wont

50. GreenTraveler

GreenTraveler

never mind lol.. im sorry it was on my end i built the game on another machine and its working fine, im gonna give you
    a break from my posts and learn the system more, the whole thing is just a joy to work with
    and im sure once i get more adapt to it the workflow will be awesome, thanks for the program i love you guys

Catsoft-Studios and GMax like this.