Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. f1ac

f1ac

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  2. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

That's right. The CameraMotor.cs has the RequireComponent attribute and access the camera component just to disable it. We'll see what we can do about this.

3. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Catsoft-Studios ,

Thinking about integrating with third party assets. For instance, behavior designer?

4. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Already answered you in Discord, but for the record: Yeah, in a near future. Once we have the entire product stable ;)

By the way, everyone who wants a more up-to-date information regarding Game Creator, you can join, ask, answer or rant in our Discord server! Join us!

Discord.png

Happy game making!

Kamil-Sobierajski and Duffer123 like this.
  5. f1ac

f1ac

Was trying dialogues with Unity 2018.1 + HDRP, found out it only works with overlay canvas rendering. No UI is shown in camera space mode. I guess it's better to set all default prefabs to overlay rendering to avoid "nothing works" messages in near future :) Oh, and while I was debugging this, this line caught my attention, something is not quite right here:
    CanvasScreenSpaceCamera:29
    if (canvas == null && canvas.renderMode != RenderMode.ScreenSpaceCamera) return;

6. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Oops! That is definitely a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out ;)

7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Tuesday's heads up! We've been a little quiet for some time now because we've been fixing bugs and working on the new animation system and the upcoming Module Manager 2.0.

module-manager-2.png

Once we finish this we'll be able to go back to updating Game Creator every two weeks. On the other hand, we're getting close to the end of the Beta phase, which will mean you'll be able to build stable games After the Beta phase we'll increase the price for the last time to 70$. So, if you don't have Game Creator get it now! For PLUS/PRO users there's a 20% discount!

More information about 0.4.1 soon!

8. RoyS

RoyS

Instead of spending time integrating other programs maybe do custom actions instead. Not everyone uses Behavioral Designer (or other x program). I've already spent the money on Emerald AI and am happy with it and don't want to switch. That way by default we can use whatever programs we wish.

Integrated programs would just "bulk" up the system.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yeah, sorry maybe I wasn't clear about this. An integration module is basically a set of Actions that act as an interface between third-party modules and Game Creator. So for example, if we were to integrate Playmaker with Game Creator, you would basically have an Action that calls a Playmaker graph and evaluates it, etc, ...

So candidates for now are Emerald AI and Behavior Designer. We'll see what we can do about this ;-)

RoyS likes this.
  10. RoyS

RoyS

Regarding v0.4.1
    Preferences comes up blank and also states v0.3.3
    2 red flag errors when you first download it and disappear when you click clear

Parent directory must exist before creating asset at Assets/Plugins/GameCreatorData/Core/Resources/GameCreator/Databases/DatabaseGeneral.asset.
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:CreateAsset(Object, String)
    GameCreator.Core.IDatabase:CreateDatabase(Type) (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Core/ScriptableObjects/Data/IDatabase.cs:90)
    GameCreator.Core.IDatabase:CreateDatabaseOnLoad() (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Core/ScriptableObjects/Data/IDatabase.cs:74)
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes()

UnityEngine.UnityException: Creating asset at path Assets/Plugins/GameCreatorData/Core/Resources\GameCreator/Databases\DatabaseGeneral.asset failed.
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:CreateAsset (UnityEngine.Object,string)
    at GameCreator.Core.IDatabase.CreateDatabase (System.Type databaseType) [0x0006d] in C:\Users\Roy\Documents\Unity\GC v0.4.1\Assets\Plugins\GameCreator\Core\ScriptableObjects\Data\IDatabase.cs:90
    at GameCreator.Core.IDatabase.CreateDatabaseOnLoad () [0x00045] in C:\Users\Roy\Documents\Unity\GC v0.4.1\Assets\Plugins\GameCreator\Core\ScriptableObjects\Data\IDatabase.cs:74
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
    at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x000d0] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222
    UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:processInitializeOnLoadAttributes()

(The smiley things were not put in there by me.)

I did not move any of the folders in the Project screen. I couldn't find anything in the docs about importing anything from the Unity assets.

If you bring up the Preferences, you get 10 red error messages, but the popup is blank.

You can hit clear and all the messages go away.

11. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @RoyS, thanks for the feedback. We've been testing this and we can't seem to reproduce the error. Are you working on a Windows machine and a clean project?

Looks like the error comes from the fact that we initialize a bunch of assets the first time you open Game Creator (called database assets).

If the path doesn't exist yet, we create the folder structure before generating the assets. That's where the problem seems to be. We'll continue digging but if you can tell us which OS you're using as well as the Unity version we'll be able to narrow down quicker the bug. Thanks!

12. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Quick update. This isn't the first time someone has reported having problems with the Preferences Window. That's why we're going to overhaul this system. When we started developing Game Creator it seemed like a good idea to make use of .NET's Reflection to dynamically gather the different Preferences Panels from the project.

We're moving away from this and that means we'll have a better, more stable and robust Preferences Window, but also means that we'll need to update the Inventory and Dialogue modules to be compatible with this.

Unity doesn't allow us to publish a package at a specific date, and as soon as it's reviewed it goes live. We'll update the Dialogue and the Inventory all together so that the time span between the Game Creator 0.4.2 and the new Dialogue and Inventory modules is under a couple of days.

Sorry if this causes any inconvenience or confusion.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  13. RoyS

RoyS

I'm using the latest version of Unity and Windows 7.

I did not change any folder structure from import and it was a clean install. I checked the docs to see if I needed to change anything or import any Unity Standard assets.

14. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Game Creator is (should be) plug and play. Tomorrow I'll push an update that will fix this.

Duffer123, Shodan0101 and RoyS like this.
  15. tork12

tork12

Hello, wondering what the plans are for RPG style combat. It seems you are working on the other things, inventory, dialog, quests, so wondering about combat and other planned modules.

16. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi, yes. The combat system won't be specifically tailored for RPG but a generic game. The Inventory & Dialogue modules are already finished, though right now we're updating some core functionalities. After this we'll move forward onto developing the Quest system and finally the combat.

The combat, as you may guess, involves a wide variety of settings, so it's still unclear on how we'll approach this. We're open to suggestions ;-)

Duffer123 and Shodan0101 like this.
  17. Ascensi

Ascensi

I have a strange issue, my iClone characters, Mecanim compatible all have their mouths open upon play.. very odd.. They don't have any animations included.

18. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

That's odd. Game Creator doesn't access nor use blend-shapes. Have you tried dropping the models in the scene and compare them with a GC Character?

Duffer123 likes this.
  19. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

They are in awe how dam good Game Creator is.... :p hahaha you see what I did there... :cool:;)

Catsoft-Studios and Duffer123 like this.
  20. Ascensi

Ascensi

I think I found the issue reading in other threads that the animations you're using may not include a jaw bone.
    Here are a couple of my examples, it doesn't seem to matter what characters I use.
    I have some of my own animations and it works fine but yours don't seem to work properly for the face.

working fine.jpg mouth open.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  21. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Damn, that's a good one :D

Mixing facial animation and locomotion anims is not a very good idea though. If you did, adding procedural lip-sync might give wrong results. Moreover, some models do face animation with blend-shapes, others with bones, ... We prefer to have the basic locomotion system independent from the facial one.

By keeping the face without any motion, you can easily add Salsa or LipSync. We have plans on integrating them on Game Creator, though there shouldn't be a problem using those with GC right now, following their integration guide.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  22. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Guys v0.4.2 is live! Preference window fixed! Just phoning everyone to let them know...;D Thx guys!

23. Ascensi

Ascensi

I didn't combine any animation.. I started with yours until I noticed the mouth drop issue, then I imported my own to compare. In time, I'm aiming to use my Faceware animations which do contain blend shapes but the one in the example didn't have any.

24. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yup! Although it seems that on Windows machines there's a little problem with the initialization. We already have an alpha-fix. Once we confirm that it works, we'll push an update (tomorrow most likely) ;)

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I mean that the face is in "idle" which can be with the mouth open, closed, ... But without any type of animation. The absence of animation allows to additively add facial expressions, with LipSync, Salsa, or any custom solution.

You say that you plan on using Faceware. Having 0 facial animations from Game Creator will actually help you. Imagine Game Creator had a constant animation moving the Character's jaw up and down (like breathing). Adding lipsync would additively move the lips on top of the jaw movement, which would result in a... Orc-ish expression :p

Note: We're heading to exit the Beta phase (still a long road) and we've decided to improve our testing tools. We'll be adding an alpha-channel in our store where you'll be able to download Game Creator alpha-releases and nightly-builts without having to wait for the Asset's Store approval process. We hope this will help us iterate faster and improve the quality of each release without nasty surprises (like 0.4.1...)

More information soon!

Cheers!

Duffer123 and Ascensi like this.
  25. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Awesome! Updated and testing now.

26. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Unity 2017.3.1f1 - New Project - No other Assets. Win 10 x64 - Few minor errors.

What is the best way when you have a project running with an older version of GC? Do you need to delete the old GC from you project and clean import or can you overwrite old GC with new GC?

Minor Errors.PNG

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  27. Ascensi

Ascensi

I'm not that proficient with Unity's animation system, specifically to be able to replace some of yours or mix them. I hope you might be able to add this to your how to page for custom animation combining/switching unless during dialogue I can call a different animation controller's animation. I realize this may lead to me creating a new animation controller or switch out some of those animations because I have a lot of mocap I'd like to use.

28. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Don't worry. We redid the animation system to support mixing multiple Animators and separate animations. Just give us some time to officially support facial motion ;-)

It's an issue that affects Windows machines, so Mac users are safe. We're working around the clock to provide a patch release as soon as we get this fixed. We've already identified and fixed one of two issues. Today we'll most likely solve the second one and push a patch release.

Regarding the update method, while in Beta, things might break compatibility from time to time, but simply reimporting Game Creator over a previous version should work fine. We'll add a notice here in the Forum, Twitter and Discord if some extra steps need to be taken.

Ascensi, Shodan0101 and Duffer123 like this.
  29. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Awesome thx guys!

30. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You'll probably have received an email, but just in case, we've just released Game Creator 0.4.3 with the new Dialogue & Inventory modules! It's now 100% compatible!

Known issues: On some Windows machines the Preferences Window doesn't correctly fill. We're working on solving this issue. To solve this, install both the Inventory and the Dialogue modules and should correctly load it. Special thanks to @Duffer123 for the tip :p

31. f1ac

f1ac

Preferences Window is totally blank for me, on Unity 2018.1b12. Just mentioning, not sure if this is the same as "doesn't correctly fill" :)

Update: module manager has its 'Store' button inaccessible:
    gc_mm_layoutissue.png

32. Duffer123

Duffer123

@f1ac ,

Install latest version of Game Creator afresh then Inventory module.

If you then enable Inventory Module with Module Manager the GC Preferences Window will work.

Catsoft working on a new patch and version so that GC Preferences Window works simply on fresh install of Game Creator...

Shodan0101 likes this.
  33. f1ac

f1ac

@Duffer123, this is the last 0.4.3 version. I can't install any modules from Module manager because store button is inaccessible. Will try to download Inventory manually.

Update: it seems manually I can only download legacy modules. So I'm waiting for new version I guess :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  34. Duffer123

Duffer123

@f1ac ,

Strange, I can fresh install GC and the Modules from the Asset Store.

35. f1ac

f1ac

@Duffer123 I totally forgot that modules are also available from asset store, thanks :)

36. Duffer123

Duffer123

@f1ac ,

Don't forget to install AND enable (in Module Manager) the Inventory Module.

That should do it...

37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Working around the clock to have all these fixed! Thanks for the input, we weren't aware that the Store tab was hidden on Windows too. Getting back to you once we have an update!

Shodan0101 likes this.
  38. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Catsoft-Studios were you saying that the quest system would/might be ready by the beginning of next year or a specific RPG style? Actually to allow developers to gut up and running quicker you might want want to include them as template types - added to the scene from Game Creator on Unity's toolbar.

Also I know your current examples in the package and online are excellent but i was hoping that you might include your free game but just the template that work with your current assets. It's good to see the whole framework (working as a whole) as well as parts -it saves asking a bunch of questions :D I know that's just for one game style as well but it maybe easier to adopt. For example, I wouldn't know whether to add a UI/menu to the main scene, every scene or have it imported as it's own scene at run time. Also for changing global audio volume and voice etc. I realize much of this would be learnt on Unity's tutorials but they are usually about coding them. Figuring out save and loading as well.

39. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We're currently working on the Quest system. Well, not currently, because we've had to stop its development and focus on the issues that have arisen in Game Creator 0.4.x. We more or less estimate it will take us a couple of months at most to have it ready. The RPG system is what will take some more time. There are other aspects of Game Creator we want to address first (mostly related to animation).

Regarding the The Investigation demo, I'm afraid it's a little outdated. We released it a year ago and Game Creator has evolved a lot since then. On the other hand, I don't think it would be a good reference. Most of the things that were done, can be accomplished more easily now with the new modules and Character systems.

If you're wondering about how we did the main menu, is just a scene with a canvas. You can see a working example taking a look at the Game Creator examples. In particular, there a scene called "Example-UserInterface" which shows how to link a UI element with an Action. Upon pressing the button, it will load another scene called "Example-Hub" with a sound effect.

example.png

As you can see in the image above, the OnClick event of a Unity Button can be linked to an Actions component and invoke it.

Feel free to drop any questions ;-)

40. RoyS

RoyS

Instead of doing RPG, just do "elements" (ie, your inventory and dialogue modules) of it and we can install what we want. Might be simpler to develop as seperate elements.

Elements would be (anyone else can add)
    --Quest system
    --Weapons (guns, bow and arrows, melee--blades) - RPGs include more than medieval
    --Leveling and Points allocations (Deus Ex style?)
    --Survival (hunger, thirst, extreme cold/hot weather)
    --Inventory (has been done) and crafting (for alchemy)
    --Dialogue (has been done)

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hope everything is cool here.

42. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Completely agree with this.

Safe and sound :)

43. Gunhi

Gunhi

is the Skill/Ability of characters on the list yet?

44. Ealbinu

Ealbinu

Hello. I have already bought this asset. I'm wondering if there is some information for Game Creator in mobile development. Thanks.

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Before that we need to finish the Quest module as well as start developing the shooter/magic/sword system and the Attributes one.

Sure. Game Creator turns your game into mobile-ready under the hood, so no further action needs to be done. For example, if you set the player's movement as Directional (which uses the WASD keys or a joystick) and compile it for iOS or Android, a virtual joystick will appear for you to move the player.

The same applies with the Adventure Camera, which uses the mouse rotation to move the camera. In a mobile device, panning the finger around the screen makes it orbit around its target.

If you need more control, you can always click on the little "+" button inside the Trigger's component and choose a platform-specific trigger. For example, you may want to activate a door in Desktop using the "E" key but on iOS you want the player to open it touching the door.

46. Ascensi

Ascensi

It seems with the latest updates of Game Creator and the inventory module, the inventory module doesn't display - I can't see it to enable/disable or install examples. I'm using Windows and Unity 2017.3.1p4

47. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You can't install the examples or any of the modules? And where did you download the Inventory? From the Asset Store or the Game Creator Store? I just tested and seems to work fine. I'll try using a virtual machine with Windows.

48. RoyS

RoyS

I downloaded GC and the modules from the asset store and had no issues. Using Unity v2017.3.1f1.

49. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@Ascensi Maybe you have Game Creator 0.4.3? The new one (0.4.4) solves a small bug that didn't load the modules if the amount of modules is different than the last time Unity was opened (it made sense on paper for an edge-case :D)

50. Ascensi

Ascensi

I downloaded from the asset store. The Dialogue module installed.

I have the version with the new module manager -maybe Version info can be set to be displayed somewhere because I don't see it at this time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018