Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Hello! I just discovered this thread and your asset, and Game Creator looks like a very promising tool. I'm always on the lookout for assets that help the game designer-oriented mind (e.g., like mine) build a game in Unity without needing to get too deep into the programming details. (I spent a couple years of college trying to learn how to be a programmer; that didn't pan out too well lol.)

I was wondering if could provide any additional insight on your features roadmap? I know the Inventory module is on the way. What are other modules you plan to implement following that one? Are there other third party integrations you're currently considering?

AI, animation, conversations/dialogue, and quest/objective management are topics I'm most interested in. Some of these areas might already be covered by the existing feature set, but I wasn't able to see that from reading your docs site. (Love that site, btw. Having detailed online documentation really helps with transparency, so kudos!)

EDIT: I re-read the thread and noticed there are some Animator-related Actions already. My mistake. Is there an Action reference portion of your website? I'm interested in knowing how you can currently manipulate the Animator via Game Creator (e.g., update a parameter, invoke a state).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Chiapet1021!

Sure! As you said, Inventory module is on it's way (and we think you're gonna love it, we've packed with a lot of features and it's extremely flexible and easy to use). Once we ship this module, there are a couple of things we have to take care:
    • Create a new Getting Started section, as it's a little outdated now. Apart from Actions, Events and Triggers, Game Creator comes with many more features, such as a full Character system, a complete Camera management framework with different types of camera behaviors, Hotspot elements, Save/Load system, ...
    • Create an integration system to be used from now on with popular packages. Starting with Inventory Pro, we'll add a flexible system with toggle buttons in the Preferences menu that will allow to use/disable the use of other packages.
    We think that once we have this, you could easily create a game like the ones from TellTale Games.

Thanks! We put a lot of effort in making a visually attractive documentation that is accessible and functional. We've just added an issue in our To-Do list to add a complete list of the available Actions so you can see what you can do.

I'm attaching a couple of images of the two Actions related to the Animator systems and some descriptions.

action-animator.png

The Action Animator allows you to call any Trigger/Int/Float/Bool of any Animator component. Very useful for opening doors, chests, triggering UI animations, and so on.

action-animlayer.png

The second Action is the Animator Layer. This one is a little more advanced. Let's say you have a character that can be on idle, move, run, etc...

You can create additive animations, like one where the character's arm is holding a phone on his ear. With this Action you can set the weight of these additive animations, allowing to easily create responsive characters (where they hug themselves if they are in a cold climate, hold a torch if in a dungeon, etc...).

Regarding the future modules, we know we want to create a Dialogue and a Quest system, that's for sure. The AI module is not on our list, though we plan on supporting third party tools for those who want it. Another module we want to make is the ARPG (character stats, a better character system, ...).

We haven't decided which one we're going to make later, so gathering feedback from you will help us decide with one should we prioritize ;)

Cheers!

AGregori and chiapet1021 like this.
  3. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Awesome, thanks for the thorough and transparent response! Good to know you plan to support third party AI tools. I feel like that is a very "personal" choice for developers, given how varied the approaches and tools are. I would like to put in a plug for Behavior Designer. Justin is super responsive and works hard to facilitate integration with a lot of other assets. I don't have BD yet, but it's on my short list. :)

I feel like dialogue and quest modules are so linked, it's hard to say which one to pick. :) Maybe dialogue first, since you wouldn't normally have a way to communicate quest progress without it. And I imagine a dialogue module could also be used for more general messaging to the player in the UI anyway.

One other question for now: Is it possible to execute Actions or check for (or trigger) Events from code outside of Game Creator? I'm wondering if in some situations (e.g., for certain condition statements like for loops), if it would be easier to split between your own code and Game Creator to accomplish some sort of function.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  4. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You're right. The Dialogue system is probably the next one we should be doing. The problem we're facing is more of a design point of view than from a technological one. We're not very fans of nodes systems. They seem like a good idea for small diagrams having one with +10 nodes tend to make it look like a giant spaghetti mess. We'll try to think to a more creative and organized solution. Any ideas are welcome!

Absolutely! Game Creator is meant to be a flexible and customizable tool. Let's say you create an Actions Game Object that has a set of instructions. You can either use a Trigger/Event to fire them or you can use your own script to execute them. To do so, you can simply get the Actions component and call the Execute() method.

Code (csharp):
    1. public GameObject target;
    3. public void Start()
    4. {
    5.     this.target.GetComponent<Actions>().Execute();
    6. }
    The same goes with Events and Triggers. Moreover, there's an Action that allows you to call any number of methods from any component, just like the Unity's Button component does.

Cheers!

Edit: Regarding the AI module, we'll definitely take a look!

chiapet1021 likes this.
  5. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

This seems to have some seriously cool potential as a .... game creator :D.
    It looks a bit empty at the moment but I might be mistaken...I know it's beta, but the videos are all like 1 minute to 3 minutes long, this indicates how quick those functions are to implement and man...thats a big saving.
    Your presentation in the thread here, the quality of the videos makes me think I want to take a bet on this asset.
    I'm wondering if other developers see the potential here to develop and sell addons / modules specifically for this Asset. It could really be something great.

I'm hoping for the following sometime in the future if not already added:
    Some sort of AI or Behavior type of designer
    Inventory - Seems this is coming.
    Save / Load system
    Controller (Gamepad) support

Can you tell me if Mechanism is supported?
    I am going to go and purchase this now.

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  6. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Yeah, node-based systems are more intuitive for smaller conversations, but the visualization can get very messy very quickly. I'm not sure how easy it is to manipulate UI in the Unity Editor, but having some way to expand and collapse node clusters might be a way to accommodate complex dialogues.

Sorry, another question ( :D ): what is your sense of relative performance for a game that relies heavily on Game Creator functionality for implementation vs writing it in C# ? I know that tools like this can have a performance impact on the CPU side, which is totally justified, given the convenience and the fact that these tools unlock so much potential for those who aren't able to program natively.

I was just wondering if you feel there's a realistic upper limit to how much someone should use Game Creator, whether it's total Actions instances or whatever that we should keep in mind. Or if, for example, there could be heavy use of reflection under certain circumstances (like calling methods from other components or executing Actions from your own code, maybe) that either we should use sparingly or perhaps can avoid altogether, if we approach it right.

I saw there was a somewhat similar question earlier in this thread, so I hope I'm not causing you to repeat prior answers too much.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  7. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Dialogue system is indeed important esp for adventure games.

8. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Havok_ZA! Thank you! We appreciate the kind words! The AI module is something we didn't think would be needed, but it seems it's a must for a lot of people, so we'll squeeze it in our roadmap! The Save/Load system is already part of the Game Creator, but it's not 100% complete. It only saves variables, audio settings and so, but not the current scene you're in. This is a section we want to tackle with care, as saving "everything" is not always the desired and we'd like to make a generic solution that fits everyone's need.

Regarding the Controller/Gamepad, it is something we're going to look into. Unity is working on a new solution, though we haven't had the chance to take a look at it. It seems that the new Input Manager will allow to fallback between different configurations. Once this is system is out, we'll definitely make it compatible with Game Creator!

Absolutely! In fact, we created the Character module (included in the Game Creator) so you can simply drag and drop a Mecanim-ready character and it will walk/run/idle based on your input. More information about this can be found at the Character Animation section.

Cheers!

Havok_ZA and chiapet1021 like this.
  9. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

At the risk of sounding repetitive, I would definitely suggest taking a look at Behavior Designer as a way to tackle AI for Game Creator. I can see Justin helping to create custom blocks for Event checks and Action calls that would work smoothly with your asset. :)

10. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi! We don't think Game Creator adds much overhead to your games. The only thing that might cause some overhead are Actions, because they are executed as Coroutines. Having thousands of coroutines running at the same time might have some impact on the CPU.

We're no experts analyzing the performance of a game, but here are a couple of screenshots taken from our demo The Investigation.

profiler-1.png

profiler2.png

We might be mistaken, but from this sample data we read that what takes more CPU is the rendering part. The scripts related to Game Creator have minimal impact on the overall performance. For example, the player takes 0.1% and 0.3% of the CPU in each snapshot. There's an Action running in the second screenshot and around 30 on idle.

Regarding the Garbage Collection, it doesn't even appear in the snapshot's diagram (should appear dark green). We never use strings inside the code and if we need to, we set them as constants at the top of the scripts so they don't generate more garbage. We basically use C# best practices, nothing special though ;)

I hope these help you clarify your doubts. And don't hesitate to ask more questions!

TL;DR

There's no upper limit of Actions/Events/Triggers you can use. The performance should be comparable to "native code". The only rule here is to use common sense and not call an Event inside a loop to check whether a key is pressed, when you can simply create a Trigger than fires an Event when a key is pressed.

Cheers!

chiapet1021 likes this.
  11. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yeah! We just need to draw a line at the complexity of the Dialogue system. We might end up making something similar to the Inventory: Create an in-house solution for free with some basic features and add a third-party tool that has more features.

chiapet1021 likes this.
  12. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure! We'll get in touch with him once we ship the Inventory system and see if w can partner. Darn! We TO-DO list is getting bigger!

PS: Sorry to sound hyped, but we're really excited to announce the Inventory module and its intuitive and powerful options! We hope we can have it finished in less than a week!

Cheers!

chiapet1021 likes this.
  13. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Well...I bought it. Will check it out over the weekend. :cool:
    This is a very cool idea and seems to be a great way of implementing different components for different games. The "modules" are genius.

Good luck with your venture, I wish you guys success and I'll be following with a keen interest.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  14. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thank you very much Havok_ZA! If you have further questions or find something difficult to understand, don't hesitate to give us your feedback. We've been working for many months with this tool and something that is obvious for us might not be for the users using it, so we're gathering feedback to further improve it.

Anyway, we hope you make great games with it! :D

Cheers!

Shodan0101 likes this.
  15. Migueljb

Migueljb

I have a couple questions on how to do something. How do I make the game start out with pausing the player so they cant move for as many seconds as needed. Then display a black screen then I get to display text and audio and each time I display text and audio i get to say how many seconds its on screen until the next text is displayed. Then after the text and audio is done fade in the players view and then you un pause the player so they can move again.

Say I have a character sleeping on a bed playing its sleeping animation. After so many seconds I want to change the characters material to a transparent shader and slowly fade them away so they disappear. OR before they fade away play another animation or sound then fade them away.

16. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Miguel! If we understood you correctly, you want to make something similar to what we did with The Investigation demo: an initial cutscene with some text that pops, right? Here's a gameplay video someone did a while ago of our game. Note: strong language. Viewer's discretion is advised ;)

To do it, we created a Trigger that fired an Action set on Start. In your case, the Action sequence would be the following one:
    • Action Change Character Property: Change the Player to IsControllable false. This will ensure that the player won't move during the cutscene.
    • To display a black screen with some text, you would need to create a Canvas game Object with an black Image that fills the entire screen and with an animation that responds to a trigger parameter that fades in/fades out.
    • For the audio and text, you can use the Action Play Sound, but I'm guessing you want to have some kind of voice over. If that's the case, it's even easier. Just use the Action Message and fill the Audio and Duration fields. The Message Action waits for the audio to finish, but if you want to wait longer, you can use the Action Wait to idle the Action sequence for a while.
    • Then all that needs to be done is fade-out the Canvas animation using the Action Animation and set the property IsControllable of a new Action Change Character Property to true.
    Here's a sample video of the complete cutscene:

Animating a material should be done using the Unity's Animation system. You can Animate any kind of property and then time the animation with Game Creator using the Action Animate. We think this is the best approach, as it uses Unity's capabilities (which is always the way to go) and allows you to later modify the Animation without changing the game logic.

In order to play the sound, you can use the Action Play Sound and time it with your animations.

PS: We noticed that having a UI module that allows to create screen transition (such as fade in/out) would be very helpful. We might add it to the Game Creator module as it's not difficult to implement and would allow to create some cool effects out of the box!

Cheers!

17. Migueljb

Migueljb

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll dive into that later today see how it goes. Just starting out messing with game creator and at first the action list seems limited but it's just a matter of diving in and figuring out what does what. Also keep in mind the demo scenes you guys have are great but they dont teach like a step by step video tutorial would showing stuff and explaining as each action gets put down. Everyone learns differently.

18. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You're right. We made the youtube playlists to teach how to use Game Creator but they don't show the "true potential". We've just finished the Inventory system (except for a couple of new Actions that need to be retouched). Next week we'll start brainstorming a new set of video tutorials.

What would you prefer, to overview every "feature" of Game Creator, each in a separate video and organized in a playlist or a set of videos that teach you example by example the creation of a demo game? We personally prefer the second option, as the documentation already covers all the available features, but making a game from ground up might end up in being a little tedious.

Any thoughts on the Live Video Training video tutorials that did Unity for Playmaker, UFPS, ... a while ago?

19. Migueljb

Migueljb

You guys already have great documentation and some starter video stuff thats the first step. Next step is the more in depth stuff. Like for me I'm trying to do a horror game where typical game stuff happens. Say you walk into a room as you walk further in the door behind you closes. As you get close to the next door that is the way out that one closes. So your trapped in that room. Only way out is say either read like a note or some animation of anything and sounds have to happen before the door out of the room can open up. Typical trigger game scenarios that can be generalized for pretty much all games in such a way is what would be cool.

Live training is always cool but I guess build up and audience first, but who knows you might already have an audience so anything that teaches us quicker is always welcome.

Your right though trying to make a whole game video tutorial series in theory is cool but might not work for everyone. I would say make a list of generalized actions that can in some way work across the board. Or even just a bare bones example of the game you guys did all with game creator. This way an artist like myself could see a breakdown of how the gui is made and works. How interactions work best. It's your guys system and know all the little things I might never figure out etc. Hope that helps really looking forward to seeing this grow and beat out the competition:)

20. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

If you have good documentation for each feature, then videos (or online text-based tutorials) that show more integrated examples seems best to me as well. One idea could be to show us step-by-step how you created pieces of the demo you released, maybe?

21. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Awesome! Thanks for the input! So, after deliberating this weekend we think that we're going to do a little of both. On one hand, we have to update the Getting Started videos with all the new content we. On the other hand, we're going to create a series of video tutorials (no deadline for this, we're going to work on it whenever we can) relating to common game situations.

@Migueljb mentioned a Horror Game, and that's cool, because making jump-scares and all these stuff it's pretty easy to do and teach. Making video tutorials on topics such as: Creating an aiming system, How to make automatic doors for Game Creator, and so would fill the gap between the concepts you learn in the Getting Started guide and making an actual game.

Now the good news!

The inventory system is finished! We're still making some tests but so far it's been working flawlessly. Here's a small teaser!

The Inventory module allows to define different objects. Each object can be consumed, and when so, you can specify a set of Actions. This gives you limitless possibilities! You can use objects that create other objects, summon characters, restore health, call other functions, ... basically, anything!

Moreover, we've built a Recipe system that allows to combine two objects to create an effect. The result of the combination of two items is also an Action, so you can basically make your game do anything when combining two objects!

Even more! We've set up two types of inventory GUIs. The first one, the one you see in the video, is the RPG inventory. The second one is called Adventure UI and it's stuck on the upper part of the screen and displays the items in a row.

We'll be updating with more information soon!

Cheers!

22. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

I'm about to start playing around with Game Creator and I was wondering if the games exported by Game Creator will work on Mobile?

23. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Havok_ZA. Yes, it works on mobile. It actually should work on any platform available. Just remember that on mobile devices, the Left Click is a touch and the Right Click is a touch with two fingers.

What we have planned for the following update (0.1.8) is that the PlayerController will have a joystick drawn in the screen. Right now you can control the player using taps (point & click style) or using the WASD/Arrow keys. Since smartphones don't have these, we'll have to think of a solution.

That should be the only limitation. I tested it on an iPhone 6S and everything worked flawlessly ;)

Note: Unity has approved a new Game Creator update. Just note that we've changed the Action's internal systems and might not gracefully update a previous project. Make sure you make a backup if your before upgrading!

Havok_ZA likes this.
  24. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Fantastic!
    So maybe the first thing I tried to do without going through the tutorials was a bit silly...

I was trying to make a cube and be able to drag it or pick it up and drop it with the mouse.
    I didn't get that right but I did get right to interact with it push it bump it flip it etc.

I'll go through the tutorials now.... :).

BTW the inventory system looks great!

25. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Awesome! Let us know if you find something difficult to understand.

Thanks! Once we solve a small issue we have, we'll send it to review. Have fun creating!

26. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone! It's been 3 days and we haven't said anything, so we think we might give you a quick update on what we're dealing right now.
    • The Inventory module is finished. The problem is that we can't attach an Actions component to a prefab and make it work (it's an issue between Game Object holding references to ScriptableObjects). We're trying to solve this issue as we feel that we want to deliver a product that works from the start.
    • We've been working on the Getting Started video series. We're going to add 5 more videos. We've just sent the scripts to our voiceover artist, so expect them to be live soon.

inventory-uis.png

We've also added (still working on it) the Inventory module documentation in our website. You can already sneak peek it at docs.gamecreator.io.

Shodan0101 and chiapet1021 like this.
  27. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

The inventory system documentation so far looks great! Very intuitive, with simple, clean functionality and UI.

I had one question about recipes: Would you consider allowing for more than two items to be combined in this system? Or will that be reserved for the Inventory Pro integration? I actually have Inventory Pro and I'm eager to see what you do with that integration, as having a more designer-friendly way to use all of that asset's functionality would be amazing. :)

28. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks! :-D

For now we won't be allowing recipes for more than two items basically because that wouldn't allow to execute the recipe when dragging one item onto another one in the UI.

Having three or more items would require to add a separate game window where you could add objects and hit a "Craft" button. It's not a difficult thing to do from a technical point of view, but more of a not wanting to add too much complexity to this package.

But yeah! Once we integrate it with Inventory Pro you'll be able to do this. Cheers!

And if you make a game using Game Creator, don't forget to email us, as we'd love to put it on a showcase section in our website! (crediting your for the work, of course).

Cheers!

chiapet1021 likes this.
  29. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Just thought I'd pop in and see if that issue with Actions on prefabs had been fixed yet? I'm hoping to pick up this asset in the next few days, and I'd love for the new version to be available when I do. :) Also, if any more video tutorials are out by then, that would be doubly awesome!

30. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Chiapet1021!

Sorry for not giving updates in a week. We've been busy working on a new update where (finally) the prefab issue will be solved. The 0.1.8 update is currently under QA and will be live in the following week/s (depending on Unity's review time).

Regarding the videos, we have 5 more videos that will be complementing the Getting Started Guide. We have just received the voice overs and all that's left to do is put everything together and upload it to youtube.

On top of this, there's the Inventory module which is already finished, but we can't ship it before Game Creator's 0.1.8 update.

Once we have these 3 things, we'll be ready to start working on new features!

31. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone!

Good news! Unity has already accepted the package (Kudos to you, Unity guys! The review process takes less than 24h lately!). The update 0.1.8 focuses on fixing bugs and solving the prefab issue (more information about it and how we solved it can be found here).

This means we're ready to work on the remaining Getting Started videos and finally launching the Inventory module. We're going to take 5 days break, though we'll still be able to answer emails and forum questions.

Cheers!

Havok_ZA, Bhanshee00 and chiapet1021 like this.
  32. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone! We're back from a small break of 5 days with great news! We've just finished a revamped Getting Started video tutorial series with 4 new features!
    • Characters: Easily right-click and select "Create Character" and you're ready to go! Perfect for prototyping interactions. You can later customize its appearance with your own models and custom animations
    • Player: Create a playable character the same way you create a generic character and select the input configuration option that suits your game.
    • Hotspots: You can now effortlessly make a character turn its head towards somewhere important, change the cursor image when hovering areas and pop up indicators of interactable objects.
    • Cameras: Learn how to make your game more cinematic using our 4 different camera systems.
    You can watch them clicking on the following image or the link below.

quickstart-video-tutorials-800.png

Getting Started playlist

As always, any feedback will be welcome! Cheers!

33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

2017-08-31-header.png

Good day everyone! Unity has approved version 0.1.9. This is a small update where some critical bug have been fixed. There shouldn't be any compatibility version issues with 0.1.8 and it is recommended that you update it (as there was a bug that prevented from compiling for some platforms on some cases).

The inventory system is almost here! During the following days we'll be creating the images for the Asset Store pages and send it for Unity to review it.

Have a nice week! Cheers!

34. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Great news!
    Just wondering - do you have plans to add a few levers and knobs to the GameCreators Cameras in regards of
    delays, smoothing movement and damping and such - will be nice to be able to fine tune how the camera
    actually responds to a characters movement.

35. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We're already doing some dampening/smoothing so all we would need to do is to expose those properties in the inspector.

What concerns us is that adding too many options overcomplicates Game Creator and might result in long messy lists of properties. We'll see if we can add an "Advanced" tab inside the Camera Motor component where these little tweaks can be done, but we'd also like to know what the rest of the community thinks of this.

By the way, we're planning on adding new features to the camera motors (a VR camera and an FPS camera motor) in version 0.1.10 so exposing these types of properties fits the type of release ;)

Shodan0101 likes this.
  36. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Good! But guess I can just open the script and do it myself then; if it´s just about exposing a few variables?

37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure! You can modify it opening the file in Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Camera/Mono/CameraController.cs. At line 57 there's the following code:

Code (csharp):
    1. private float transitionTime = -1000.0f;
    2. private float transitionDuration = 0.0f;
    3. private CameraSmoothTime cameraSmoothTime = new CameraSmoothTime(0.1f);
    Just change the float value in the CameraSmoothTime for something higher to increase the delay.
    If you want to tweak it even further, head to the CameraSmoothTime class definition. There you can independently set the smooth rotation time and the translation time.

EDIT: We've just noticed that the controller of the smoothing shouldn't be the camera, but a camera motor. If we move forward on exposing these variables, we'll make it so different camera motors can have different dampings.

JoMaHo likes this.
  38. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Excellent!

39. ocimpean

ocimpean

I got very interested when I reached the discussions regarding Dialogue. Looking forward to see what you guys gonna come up with.

40. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks! We hope we can show something in the upcoming months :-D

41. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

update.png

Good day everyone! We've just sent to review a brand-new update packed with some awesome features!

First of all, we've updated some Actions and now have some more properties to play with. We've added a new Character property called "face camera direction" (more on this later).

We've also changed the space where all our UI elements lived from screen space overlay to screen space canvas. Don't worry about the camera though, as Game Creator automatically handles which one is the main one.

A special thanks to @alienheretic for tipping us that in VR, overlay UI elements don't show up correctly and for providing us a custom shader and a some nice insights on the VR development.

And on top of that we've added a new Camera Motor for First Person games. This motor has a bunch of options, including setting the mouse sensitivity, a damping range to increase realism and a constrained pitch rotation to limit the highest and lowest points the player can look at (you might not want your player to look at his feet, perhaps?)

We recommend toggling the face camera direction property of the Player object when using the First Person motor.

As always, a full list of the changes can be found in the changelog of the asset.

Cheers!

42. Havok_ZA

Havok_ZA

Definitely expose as much as possible and maybe hide it in an advanced tab.. "Game creators" by their nature makes things easier but can often be limiting. A mistake that's often made is the misconception that people that resort to Game Creators are kids, or stupid or incapable of dealing with the complexity. I've seen very talented and highly intelligent people that are just not great at or are not necessarily the best programmers/coders or frankly dont want to/have time to learn. Opening up Game Creator to do as much as possible makes it easier to create different gameplay experiences and actually do what the developer / designer wants to do.
    I think adding more complex property options etc in an "advanced tab" is a good idea as you then get best of both worlds.

Bhanshee00, Brian-Ryer and JoMaHo like this.
  43. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Totally agree! Sling all the goodies in an advanced tab!

Brian-Ryer likes this.
  44. unicat

unicat

Thanks for the FPS Camera, can`t wait.

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Great! In the currently available update (0.1.10) we've exposed some properties in the camera so you can tweak them as you like. We've also added a new Action called "Camera Damping" so you can set these properties during runtime ;-)

camera-options.png

We'll try not be conservative in terms of giving you options (without bloating Game Creator). Thanks for the input guys!

We'll try not be conservative in terms of giving you options (without bloating Game Creator). Thanks for the input guys!

You're welcome! Here's a gif so you can familiarize with the FPS camera motor. It comes with an options called "Max Pitch" which allows to visually define the maximum and minimum angle the player can look up/down (you might not want to allow the player look at their feet!)

fps-options.gif

Upcoming changes:

We've been working on a new module called Module Manager, which allows to enable/disable and uninstall modules. We know we promised the Inventory was about to be shipped, but we want to make sure we have everything else ready to welcome the first independent module.

module-manager.png

Cheers!

Havok_ZA and JoMaHo like this.
  46. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Great!

47. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone! Just wanted to give a heads up. We've just finished testing the Module Manager for Game Creator. You'll be able to enable/disable different modules (without having to delete them from Unity) so you can experiment and keep you projects tight (who wants to work on a project bloated with plugins, right?).

module-manager.png

We'll only be integrating the Messages module for the moment (which already comes with Game Creator) as part of the Module Manager. Once we've seen that no one has had trouble working with this module manager, we'll start integrating the rest of the systems.

FEATURES:
    - Enable/Disable modules that you don't use
    - See which module version you're running
    - Update your modules from within the Editor
    - Uninstall the modules you'll no longer need
    - Display the developer's Gravatar and name

One of our concerns is that if we ship a Game Creator update with a modified module (for example, the Messages one) then the user will have to click on the Update button in the Modules tab (see the image above) which might be a little hidden for new users. We're not sure if this will be confusing. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Havok_ZA likes this.
  48. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

modulemanager.png

Big news! Update 0.1.11 is now live and we're happy to announce that it comes with the long awaited Module Manager! For the moment we've only added the Messages module (which will soon contain more options). This is because we want to make sure that it works properly.

Once you update your project to version 0.1.11 you shouldn't see any appreciable changes. The only difference will be that in the Preferences window there is a new tab named Modules. There you can enable/disable the upcoming modules.

What do you think of this system? If you have any problems, please, send us an email or drop a line in this thread. We think that it's pretty stable but we need to bullet-proof its stability first with you.

Cheers!

Shodan0101 likes this.
  49. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone! We've been thinking these last days and now that the Module Manager and the Inventory is on its way to the Asset Store, we've taken some time to improve even further your development pipeline and make it even more user friendly.

And we've come up with... this! (Still Work In Progress),

game-creator-store.png

Yup! A store! But not a store where you can purchase Game Creator (there's the Asset Store for that and it's flawlessly integrated with Unity).

What we want to address with a change like this is allowing users to download small free Modules for Game Creator. For example, if a user wants to make use of advanced Physics, then he can go to our store and download the Physics3D module without having to register.

Our intention is to speed up the development process, allowing us to produce small and more focused modules that can be quickly iterated over, as we control the deployment platform. There is no point on creating an entire package for the Unity Asset Store (with all the work that requires creating promotional images and videos) for small things like small modules.

Any thoughts? We're just experimenting with this, so any suggestions will be highly appreciated! Cheers!

50. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

I’d say you are clever - this is a good strategy both for you and the users. Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017