Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. malditonuke

malditonuke

This tutorial shows how to make a destructible item:

2. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

A non "game creator" character have a script, where is health = 100. And non "game creator" character (a robot or creature with 5-6 legs and 3-4 hands) have a weapon to kill "game creator" character. I don't know how to give damage both.

3. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Are there any roadblocks in creating gamepad support with Game Creator compared to using the existing input system with c# ? I've set up basic gamepad support on a couple c# projects by changing "GetKeyDown" etc to "GetButtonDown" etc where I can define both keyboard controls and the gamepad axis for the target platform(s) in the default input manager.

I understand that unity is re-working their input system, but can I just change the code manually in c# to set-up my own gamepad support in the meantime? Just wondering how hard it would be compared to a strictly c# project currently...doing it manually without your built-in "triggers" system. Thanks!

4. malditonuke

malditonuke

I didn't try Unity's new input system since I already have the InControl asset. Using that I was able to add gamepad support without much trouble. I used the PlayerCharacter script as a base class and it works fine.

You don't have to use the trigger gameobject system either if you don't want to. It's fine for setting up simple things, but for more complicated behaviors I use my own scripts. You can also use the Behavior Tree addon for player actions, but it's kind of tricky.

5. malditonuke

malditonuke

That's a hard question to answer with many possible answers. If you add the Stats component to the characters, then the video shows how to use triggers to reduce the "health" of a character. The stats and trigger components can be added to any gameobject.

And you don't have to use stats component. You can also add the Local Variables component to any object and track its health there.

If you are using some other system for health, then it really depends on the system.

6. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

So the input is accessible via a single script. Sounds easy enough!
    That's good to know I can drop in my own custom behaviors. As for the Behavior tree, that seems useful for AI (with or without input commands), or for switching between characters in real-time like many sports games. Sounds like the Behavior Module can easily schedule AI update times too. Very cool! Thanks!

malditonuke likes this.
  7. Nanomid

Nanomid

Not inspired. Error on first use because array bounds were not checked.
    Here:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         private void PaintToolbar(int currentSidebarIndex)
    2.         {
    3.             EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal(EditorStyles.toolbar);
    4.             GUILayout.FlexibleSpace();
    6.             currentSidebarIndex = Mathf.Clamp(currentSidebarIndex, 0, DATABASES.Count - 1);
    7.             if (DATABASES[currentSidebarIndex].dataEditor.CanBeDecoupled())
    8.             {

8. davidoggo

davidoggo

Hi Catsoft-Studios !
    I was wondering if the inventory module supports mobile input. If so, is a mouse click equal to a single touch? As I'm able to drag and drop items on PC, would It be the same on a touch screen?

9. unknown_game

unknown_game

I too have a question similar to maxforce's question i have the stats module on a game object using another character controller. the other character controller has a damage function that takes a number (a float i believe) when i use game creator's call method action it does not accept any variables from game creator. i own all game creator modules plus a few unofficial ones if there is any way to use call method with a variable from game creator i would like to know

10. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Did you remove any Game Creator files? The bounds are checked using the Clamp method. However, if there's no database object (a custom scriptable object with a specific layout) this error will pop. However, this should never be the case unless these files are moved or deleted. Is this the case? If not, could you tell us a bit more about the steps you took when this happened?

Touching the screen with a finger is translated as a left click and touching the screen with two fingers is translated as a right click. The Inventory should work, although I'm not 100% sure dragging and dropping items does. I'll test this out and circle back!

As long as the "health" is a Stats component (from the Stats module), you should have no problems using the Actions "Attribute Change" or "Stat Change" and setting the target either a Game Creator character or a non-GC character.

You can then separately have a Trigger that detects when a character's health reaches zero and play the death animation and cascade the side effects of such state (non-controllable, etc...)

11. brombs73

brombs73

Hi,
    Does Game Creator use RVO using NavMeshAgent?

12. Tzontonel

Tzontonel

You have the Melee combat implemented? I'm looking for a first-person controller with a melee combat system.

13. kdgalla

kdgalla

Catsoft-Studios and Tzontonel like this.
  14. Tzontonel

Tzontonel

15. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Touch controls appear automatically when GC detects you're running the game on a mobile device. For example, if you set the Player's input mode to directional (that would be using the WASD keys on your keyboard), it will pop a virtual joystick on the left side of the screen when running on an Android or iOS device.

We'll update the documentation to reflect this accordingly. Thanks for the heads up!

Tzontonel likes this.
  16. Tzontonel

Tzontonel

@Catsoft-Studios thank you very much for the explanation, but I can't see any virtual controls in editing mode, they are fully customizable or at least supports other touch control assets? For example, if I want to map controls to specific UI buttons?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  17. Prefab

Prefab

Hi @Catsoft-Studios , I have just discovered this great asset and I am looking through all the modules and features, very impressive stuff! Thank you for creating this asset.

I have a few questions which I couldn't find answered in the live stream videos and forum, apologies if they have already been answered (just link me to the answer if they have). Here they are:

1. Is it possible to dual wield the same weapon eg. one revolver in each hand, one sword in each hand?
    2. It it possible to have a weapon that you can choose whether to single or dual wield eg. single wield a sword and hold with two hands, or grab another sword and dual wield both (one in each hand)?
    3. Is it possible to wield both melee and shooter weapons eg. revolver and shield, revolver and sword?
    4. While using the traversal module, can weapons be used while interacting with climbable objects eg. shoot revolver while hanging from ledge or going down zip line or while in cover?
    5. After climbing up to the top, is there a way to drop back down onto a ledge to be able to climb back down? When I tried this I kept falling of the top of the building, but could be just me stuffing it up
    6. For melee weapons (but could be relevant to shooter as well), is it possible to configure specific reaction animations per weapon attack/combo (for the same weapon) eg. small stagger for knife stab, medium stagger for knife thrust, knock down for knife smash etc, so that different attacks have different reactions?
    7. Similar to the above, is it possible to set reaction animations based on the state of the enemy eg. if enemy is not stunned a knife stab will stun them, but if they are already stunned a knife stab will knock them down?
    8. Is there a way to configure which states weapons can and cannot be used in eg. can use weapons while walking, but not while running or jumping?

Hopefully that's not too many questions. Thank you and looking forward to learning more about this.

18. Danirey

Danirey

Hi all,

i’m new with this system but not new to unity, just want to keep things simple since i got stuck too many times doing things by myself. I can think how to code some stuff, but not sure how to do that with this system.
    i’m wondering if is it possible to avoid the character stops on each corner of a navmeshpath when using point and click input system.

also have another question, if i want to create a rts like camera and move it with WASD and QE for rotate, the first idea was to use a character and remove the model so i can reuse all the built in movements, but i think it will be a pain at some point, for example moving the camera over zones not suitables for a character.... so the question is, how can i move an object without a character controller?

Thanks a lot for the help

19. Danirey

Danirey

Hi again,

I'm playing with custom stuff and can't get this condition working...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. namespace GameCreator.Core
    2. {
    3.     using GameCreator.Characters;
    4.     using System.Collections;
    5.     using System.Collections.Generic;
    6.     using UnityEngine;
    7.     using UnityEngine.Events;
    9.     [AddComponentMenu("")]
    10.     public class GetState : ICondition
    11.     {
    12.         public TargetCharacter target;
    13.         public string stateName;
    14.         public override bool Check(GameObject target)
    15.         {
    16.             Character character = this.target.GetCharacter(target);
    18.             var state = character.GetCharacterAnimator().GetState(0);
    19.             if (state.name == stateName)
    20.             {
    21.                 return true;
    22.             }
    23.             return false;
    24.         }
    26.         #if UNITY_EDITOR
    27.         public static new string NAME = "Custom/GetState";
    28.         #endif
    29.     }
    30. }
    Any clue of what is wrong here? The goal is to get the current state of the character and compare it with the string provided. So for example, if "Crouch" state is active, returns true... Right?

Cheers!

20. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

I bought game creator, and modules quests, stats and melee. But other modules I got free and I don't have an invoice. When I want to download community addons, that need invoice for them, I can't download. Example Condition - Has Required Items For Recipe from https://hub.gamecreator.io/content
    there is message "User does not have permission to access the file". Is there a solution for the problem?

21. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

This means you need to link your Asset Store invoice with our servers, so we can validate the purchase. To do so, simply go to the top-right corner of the Game Creator Hub website and go to Settings. Scroll down and copy & paste the invoice number (usually starts with INXXXXXXX) on the last field, where it says Licenses: Invoice.

There's a bit of confusion between a character state and the "State" object returned by the Character script. That "state" object contains a bunch of values that inform of the current character's locomotion, which is primarily used by the Character Animator component.

States are basically runtime controllers that are stacked on top of each other using Unity's Playable API and they have no name once they start playing. I'm afraid there's no easy way to get the top-most playable node's name.

However, if you should be able to check if the current state is "crouch" if you create a Local Variable of type "Bool" and set it to TRUE every time you use change the character's state to Crouch, and to false when you remove the state in that specific layer.

Hope this makes sense.

If the character stops at corners and drags their body means there's a difference between the character's radius and the navigation mesh tolerance radius. Try baking again the navigation mesh.

On one hand, there's an unofficial RTS module coming up, so you may want to take a look at that on our Discord server. If you want to still do it by yourself, using an "invisible" character is a good idea as you on't have to start from scratch. You can use Layer Masks to make the character not collide with scene geometry, but you'll need to carefully prepare which objects should be part of which layer. As a tip, look up on Google "Unity Collision Matrix", and it should help you build a scene where you have a flat surface where the invisible character can freely move while having the game geometry as you would normally do.

22. Prefab

Prefab

Hi @Catsoft-Studios , are you able to also reply to my questions please, I would really appreciate it. Happy if you prefer to send it as a PM instead.

23. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

• Is it possible to dual wield the same weapon eg. one revolver in each hand, one sword in each hand?

Not natively, although the community has been hard at work on this and there are a couple of ways to do this. I haven't been able to test it, but here's a video showcasing it: VIDEO
    • It it possible to have a weapon that you can choose whether to single or dual wield eg. single wield a sword and hold with two hands, or grab another sword and dual wield both (one in each hand)?
    Because it's not supported by design, I can't really answer this, but I believe that with the aforementioned system from Lieutenant Cats, any weapon can be dual-wielded.
    • Is it possible to wield both melee and shooter weapons eg. revolver and shield, revolver and sword?

Yes, this is possible. A shooter weapon and a Melee weapon work independently. However, bear in mind you'll have to make some mechanism that prevents from shooting while attacking with a sword. Unless you want to be able to do both things at the same time.
    • While using the traversal module, can weapons be used while interacting with climbable objects eg. shoot revolver while hanging from ledge or going down zip line or while in cover?
    That would require to have separate animations for each weapon, and for each Climbable position, so it's not something we plan on supporting. However, from the code perspective, nothing stops you from doing so. Just that it would require x10 the number of animations at least!
    • After climbing up to the top, is there a way to drop back down onto a ledge to be able to climb back down? When I tried this I kept falling of the top of the building, but could be just me stuffing it up
    Yes. The Ledge prefab doesn't have this functionality, but you can check out the Ladder, which has this. If you are at the top of a platform where there's a ladder coming down, there's a Trigger at the top tip that, upon pressing Space, the character drops and grabs the ladder. You could do something very similar with Ledges.

This is a nice feature, I'm taking note and may include it as a built-in element in the next update.
    • For melee weapons (but could be relevant to shooter as well), is it possible to configure specific reaction animations per weapon attack/combo (for the same weapon) eg. small stagger for knife stab, medium stagger for knife thrust, knock down for knife smash etc, so that different attacks have different reactions?
    Reaction animations are defined inside the Shield assets, so it doesn't depend on the attacker's weapon of choice, but on the current weapon wielded by the defender.

However, when using the "On Receive Attack" Trigger, you get access to the attacker's character object. This attacker could have a Stat or Local Variable that indicates how long will it stagger its opponent based on the weapon it's currently wielding.
    • Similar to the above, is it possible to set reaction animations based on the state of the enemy eg. if enemy is not stunned a knife stab will stun them, but if they are already stunned a knife stab will knock them down?
    The Melee system comes with a stagger system called "Poise". Each subsequent attack diminishes a character's own poise meter (which refills over time). When it reaches 0, you can play a "knockback" animation or any other animation you may have (like a longer stun). Check out the WebGL demo and keep an eye on the Poise meter.
    • Is there a way to configure which states weapons can and cannot be used in eg. can use weapons while walking, but not while running or jumping?
    A state by default has all default animations in place. If you have a weapon that doesn't allow you character to run, simply use the "Character Property" action to disable the "Can Run" checkbox. On the "On Unequip" Actions list of that weapon, change the "Can Run" to true so when the character unequips the weapon can run again.

Phew that was quite the text. Hope this is clearer now!

Prefab likes this.
  24. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I was answering them while you answered. Just wanted to answer them as a separate post because of the amount of questions :)

Prefab likes this.
  25. Prefab

Prefab

Thank you!

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  26. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

Catsoft-Studios - You don't answer for my problem. Yes, I have copied and pasted all my invoices. But not inventory, shooter, behavior, dialogue. I own all of them. Only not the traversal. And what to do, any solution for problem. No solution?
    game creator invoices.jpg

27. vorokoi

vorokoi

@MAXFORCE you want access to community made actions even though some of the modules you have were acquired illegally? Ok...

28. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

No. They were free. They are legal. Free - no invoice. And when you got with voucher - there is no invoice.
    game creator.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  29. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I think I understand. At the very, very beginning, some modules were free on the Asset Store because we needed users to test them in order to give us feedback and improve them.

As for downloading Actions and Conditions that require these licenses, I'll open a ticket and have a look. Just to be sure, you can download all Actions that have Game Creator as a requisite, but not other licenses, such as the Inventory. Correct?

30. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

I don't have invoices for inventory, shooter, behavior, dialogue.
    I have invoices for melee, quests, stats, game creator.
    I have not bought traversal. But I plan to buy.

31. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I understand the issue, and I wasn't aware Unity didn't issue invoices for free products. However, right now there's no way for us to verify that a user has purchased an asset without an invoice, and that's the foundation for the whole Hub platform.

If it was a Condition I had created, I would simply send it to you, but I can't since it is from another user. However, I'd encourage you to get in contact with him/her. In each package page there's a comment box at the end. Try asking if they can send it to you or change the clearance level.

32. digiross

digiross

I have kept my eye on Game Creator for awhile since I want to create and not get too bogged down with coding. About a month ago I looked at some examples/demo's and it seemed like it ran slow, performance didn't seem right.

Do you have an performance comparisons? Better demo/examples I can check out. Thanks

33. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

Author - Persistent Idiot, Condition - Has Required Items For Recipe. How send him message?

34. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

There's a chat box below each Action, Condition and Trigger page in the Game Creator Hub. You can write a message there.

Edit: I've talked to the developer and he is okay with releasing the package under no dependencies. You should already be able to download it from the Game Creator Hub!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  35. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

I can't download. No ability.

36. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Said that too early and the metadata hadn't yet propagated through the CDNs. Could you try now?

MAXFORCE likes this.
  37. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

Thank you. Now I can download.

38. digiross

digiross

Terrain Question: Before I purchase, this works for any terrain correct? Gaia? Low poly? Procedural?

Performance Question: Any performance results/comparisons?

Thanks

39. Prefab

Prefab

40. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yup, Game Creator should work on any type of terrain, as long as there's a collider. Also, if your terrain supports NavMesh, it can also allow characters to traverse it avoiding obstacles. Just make sure to check the "Use navmesh" checkbox under the Character's Advanced Properties, in the Inspector, after selecting a Character.

Just answered you. Sorry for the late reply.

41. mike_unity261

mike_unity261

What was the solution to this? I'm getting it too. Unity 2020.1.8f1 Personal on Windows 10.

42. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

hello, how to control [Is enabled] by actions in the Melee?

43. stain2319

stain2319

I get this error on first import/installation every time.

Going to Game Creator->Reinstall Game Creator and re-doing the import/install fixes it every time so far.

edit: Unity 2019.4.15f1 here

44. stain2319

stain2319

I have only just begun, but I am using it with Gaia terrains and it works great so far.

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

That's a way to do it, thanks for sharing it. That error occurs when the objects that holds information about the different aspects of Game Creator (localization, common preferences, etc...) found in the Preferences Window are removed and a recompile isn't triggered.

These objects can be found at Assets/Plugins/GameCreatorData/. Do not attempt to modify the paths found at this directory as it can result in unexpected errors like that one. If this happens again and you are sure you did not manually modify the path, could you send us an email with some details? Thanks!

Unfortunately those can't be modified at runtime, because are part of a scriptable object and thus, shared between all users. Modifying them would mean other characters referencing the same weapon would also get their combos activated/deactivated.

We're looking into allowing to enable/disable combos per-character, so you can easily create a skill-tree and upgrade your character with new combos, but our priority at the moment is to improve the stability of all modules and Game Creator itself.

46. Juketo

Juketo

Hi @Catsoft-Studios, I've sent you an email 3 weeks ago about your inventory system, but I did not get a response yet.

I would like to know if you have any hint on how to make the inventory work as a grid system, like in Diablo, with items occupying different slot sizes.

Kind regards

47. stain2319

stain2319

I can reproduce it every single time on a fresh project.

1. new project
    2. new scene
    3. import game creator
    4. receive error

48. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Apologies, we've been having some issues with our email settings topped with an unusual amount of emails. Regarding the issue, I'm afraid the Inventory module doesn't support a grid-based system. Each element will always occupy the top-left most free space, but you can't reorganise items inside your grid or make one occupy more than one cell. This is something we look forward adding in a new major release, but it will require re-architecting the whole Inventory module, so don't expect it in the mid-near future.

Hmm strange, that doesn't happen on our end. Perhaps it has to do with the OS used. Are you using Linux or Windows?

49. stain2319

stain2319

I am using Windows 10.

50. stain2319

stain2319

ok, so this morning I investigated I bit further and it seems like I could not reproduce it. I tried several times with different variations (e.g. importing other packages first) but today I am not getting the error.

One thing to note: Almost every time until today, when I imported Game Creator, I got a notification that there was a new version (even though it showed I had 1.1.10 already) and took me to the website to download the latest version (which it was already at.)

Today for some reason it is no longer doing that. Not sure if this is somehow related... seems odd.