Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. RJP3

RJP3

Can I make the character fly all the time? Example - have the player be a space ship that flies?

2. blueFire

blueFire

I will wait until the new "On Key Being Pressed" trigger is added. Will the new event be added to the Game Creator Core Product that is updated through the Unity Asset Store and if so will it cause problems if I get a copy of the event through the Game Creator Hub and then later the event is added as a built-in event to Game Creator through the Unity Asset Store?

Thank You.

3. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Depends on what you mean by fly; If it's from a top-down perspective and the spaceship moves in the XZ plane, then yes. You should have no problems with it. If on the other hand, you want the ship to go pitch, yaw and roll along all 3D axis, then it may be better to use another system.

Game Creator focuses more on humanoid characters and having the tools to make them as realistic as possible, with procedural animations, assistive inverse kinematics and so on.

Still, take a look at this tutorial, where we show how a Character can jump in into a vehicle and get out of it. Might be what you're looking for. Cheers!

The Trigger will only be available at the Game Creator Hub, not the core product. We try to keep the core product as clean as possible and only add those Actions, Conditions and Triggers that are generic and useful for all kinds of situations. One could argue that the Trigger "On Key Being Pressed" is generic enough, and although I agree, it doesn't encourage the best practices we aim to have.

Regarding your concern, you will have no problems updating Game Creator to newer versions later. All scripts downloaded from the Game Creator Hub are placed in a special folder that is untouched when updating Game Creator.

4. unicat

unicat

Hi, there is a max pitch in vertical movement of the FPS camera. Can we have a max pitch in horizontal movement too ?
    Thank you.

5. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @unicat . In our opinion, it doesn't make much sense to us to limit the Yaw rotation. A First Person camera should allow the player to have a 360º vision around the player in order to be able to explore the world.

We might be missing some key point though. Could you elaborate your request a bit further? I'm posting the FPS Motor settings in case it helps you. Cheers!

camera-motor-fps.png

6. unicat

unicat

Sorry to disagree, a first person camera should react as a human. Nobody can turn his head 360° :). If my player character turns his head he should have maybe a view angle of 160°. 80° to the left and 80° to the right. If the angle is higher the player character must turn his body.
    It is another thing with a TPS character where you should be able to see the player around 360°.
    There are many character controllers on the asset store for fps Players, but None can turn the camera 360°.
    Sorry for my english, i am not so good with it. :)

7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @unicat . I believe I'm not understanding what you mean then. The FPS camera motor allows the camera to rotate 360 degrees around the vertical axis, as if the character is pivoting in place. It's not like it's moving the head, but moving its legs to look around.

Could you provide a more detailed explanation of what you're trying to achieve? Or a video showing what's wrong with our camera motor. Thanks!

8. unicat

unicat

Will do that. :)

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  9. dre788

dre788

Hello, I am interested in this asset but I'm wondering if you still plan to integrate playmaker as a lot of my project depends on it. Also, is it possible to set/get variables, control/start/end events between playmaker and game creator as of now?

10. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @dre788 . We do plan on making an integration module between Playmaker and Bolt with Game Creator, along with other modules. But although it's an easy task, we first want to finish our core modules. Once we've done that, we'll start working on integrating third-party modules.

So as for now, we don't think it's possible without writing some code. Despite this, would you mind sharing via email, which features you think you'd need? You mention getting and setting Playmaker variables and controlling different events. Is there anything more? We can look into it and see if it's feasible in the short term.

nuxvomo likes this.
  11. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Hey catsoft, I have a question about the character Controller. When using a separate third party character Controller we cant use the actions for the camera or for animations obviously because we arent using the controller you made for game creator. What I wanted to ask was how much scripting would be involved to hook up a third party controller with game creator scripts to be able to use the show gesture command? Would this be feasable? Or just something that I should probably stay away from?

12. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Good question @jaytwist28 . We were going to say that it should work, but before answering I took a look to make sure. The Gestures & States are managed inside a class called CharacterAnimation, which gets instantiated inside the CharacterAnimator (these two are tightly coupled). The problem is that the CharacterAnimator is also coupled with our CharacterController.

You could, in theory, create a copy of the CharacterAnimator.cs file and strip all the methods and properties you're not going to use and keep the ones that have State or Gesture in their name. Depending on how well versed you are with coding you might give it a shot. Let me know if you need help :)

Despite this, using the Play Gesture or Set State actions go through our Character class, which acts as a middleman between the character system and outer calls.

13. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Thanks for the help. I'm going to play around and see what I can do. I'm not well versed by any means but I can stumble through and figure problems out for the most part. I'll hit you up with any questions I have.

14. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Definitely! You can contact us via email our joining our Discord server. Cheers!

15. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

I appreciate it, I'll definitely grab what help I can get from y'all once I start working on it. I own all your modules and would like to use them for my project. But I'm coming in with a third party Character Controller already to handle the movements of the character. But the play gesture action is great and can be used for so many purposes that I definitely want to be able to hook it up to use it with my Controller. I'll try what you suggested tonight and see where I get.

16. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Not having too much luck yet lol was trying to just comment out a lot of the code besides the stuff related to gestures and states but that makes the character script throw a lot of errors when it can't find those things.

17. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I guess that's expected, since there's a dependency to the Character → Character Animator → Character Animation classes. Try finding references to these instances in the Character Animation class, removing them and see if you can work out a way to integrate them with your custom Character Controller.

18. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Yeah I'm working through the scripts and trying to chop out the stuff that I don't need. I really just need to be able to use the gestures and nothing else from the controller, so like you said I'm just trying to strip down the stuff related to control or anything except the gestures. I'm just trying to figure out how the everything is connected so I can take it apart. It seems like the only times the gestures will work my regular animations arent running right. I commented out almost all the things in the animator that dont have to do with the gestures, but afterwards the Gestures still werent working even though I left the lines that mention gestures intact. But I really want to make things work so I'll just keep playing with it until I get it working lol. I appreciate the help so far!

19. hlwerschner

hlwerschner

Hi, just tested and purchase Game Creator + Inventory and stepped into first questions:
    1/ In 2017 there you mentioned that after integration of Inventory Pro, there would be a possibility to create a crafting window with more than 2 ingredients (instead of the inventory direct merging feature). Has this extended crafting been implemented and where can I find examples/docs?
    2/ I would like to use UMA 2 and models/bodies etc for my player. Is this possible when I use a Game Creator "Player" character to set its model to an UMA 2 object?
    More questions will come up soon, but I really like your assets and the way to use it in Unity! Thanky you in advance for your patience with a new user.

20. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

First of all, welcome to the GC community :) The Inventory module doesn't yet support Crafting with multiple objects. Right now you can only combine two item types (with any amount each). We made this so it was easy crafting by dragging and dropping one item over another one.

We do have in our roadmap some sort of advanced crafting with more than one item, but we've focused on other features, such as equipable items, Loot Tables, Containers, etc...

This and support for Skinned Mesh Renderers are next in list for the Inventory

I believe so. I haven't used UMA 2 in a while, but I heard that now you can build your characters in the Editor. You can use these with Game Creator. The only thing that is not supported is building characters at runtime using UMA's character creator.

Thank you! Fire away any questions ;) Cheers!

21. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi,
    I've just installed Game Creator and some of its modules to my almost empty project using Unity 2019.1.8f1. I got major errors saying:
    "Assets\Plugins\GameCreator\Behavior\Igniters\IgniterGroupInSight.cs(43,37): error CS1061: 'VariablesEvents' does not contain a definition for 'StartListenListChg' and no accessible extension method 'StartListenListChg' accepting a first argument of type 'VariablesEvents' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"
    and
    "Assets\Plugins\GameCreator\Behavior\Igniters\IgniterGroupInSight.cs(59,37): error CS1061: 'VariablesEvents' does not contain a definition for 'StopListenListChg' and no accessible extension method 'StopListenListChg' accepting a first argument of type 'VariablesEvents' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

Deleting the lines seem like fixing the problem and the behavior example is working, but I'm not a programmer, so I'm not sure how it will affect a project in a future.

Attached Files:

22. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @anton88pro . Yes, this is due to the latest Behavior module requires the latest Game Creator version (0.9.6). Try installing/updating it from the Asset Store and then re-install again the Behavior module.

This should solve the errors, but let me know if this solves it or still have the errors. Cheers!

23. anton88pro

anton88pro

I've created new project, installed 0.9.6 version, behavior and other modules. Error messages are not here, but now modules do not work.
    The basic Game Creator futures are doing fine, but anything related to modules do not , like pressing "j" to see jurnal or "r" to start a dialogue. In behavior, npc spots player immediately.
    Still using Unity 2019.1.8f1
    screenshot with new errors is attached.

Attached Files:

24. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @anton88pro . So if I understood this correctly, you have just created an empty Unity project with the Game Creator core and added the Behavior module, and these errors pop, correct?

Not sure if the screenshot is from the newly created project though. I see that you have the Behavior module installed, but to see the Journal, start Dialogues, etc... You'll need the corresponding modules (Quests & Dialogue). These are not installed in your project for what I can gather in the attached image.

Regarding the problem with the example scenes, seems Unity failed to load the assembly files. This is usually fixed closing and re-opening Unity again. Let me know if this solves the problem!

25. micktan

micktan

Hi,
    I was wondering whether GC has support for VR FPS games using SteamVR? I've had a look at the Camera Motors documentation and couldn't find any reference to it. Thanks.

26. anton88pro

anton88pro

All the modules and their examples were already installed and activated through Module Manager. Project is empty (but I used "3D with extra" Unity). Screenshot is attached. I've opened the project again today and tried all examples and glitches are still here.
    However, I've just tried to re-import folders "behavior", "quest" and "dialogue" and now the examples work fine. Not sure why it fixed the problem, because all the modules were installed just yesterday.
    For an experiment, I've created new project, imported and installed Game Creator and Behavior. Again, examples are not working properly. Reimporting "behavior" folder didn't work. I've tried to disable, then enable "behavior example"- it works now,
    Okey. Next, I've imported and activated "Dialogue" module. It's glitching. Tried to disable, then enable examples - still not working. Tried to reimport "dialogue" - working!
    Hmmm.... This time I've tried quest module. At first,the example is not working. Enabling/Desiabling examples does nothing. Reimporting "quests" fixes the issue.
    Seems to me, that Enabling/Disabling examples and reimporting a module folder fixes the issue.
    After doing all this, the console still show a lot of errors. I'll attach three screenshots just in case.
    Since I've kind of fixed the problem and I've already spend too much time on this, I'll stop experimenting here. However, I hope you'll understand the root of the problem.

Attached Files:

27. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We don't own a VR headset but there are some projects being developed using Game Creator for VR. I'm not that familiar with this tech, but as far as I know, the camera system is provided by the VR SDK. Any interactions can be done using Game Creator's Actions, Conditions & Triggers and the Character system is fully compatible with VR.

Of course, if you need something, you can always drop us a request, but so far, from what we've gathered, VR developers haven't found any issues using Game Creator.

Excellent! Thank you for the thorough investigation. We believe we know where the problem is, but just to be sure, could you tell us which Unity version are you using?

Seems like Unity doesn't correctly reload script assemblies and there are some missing links when installing a module or Game Creator automatically. Closing and opening Unity again should solve this problem, getting rid of these warnings and errors in the Console.

28. anton88pro

anton88pro

I'm using Unity 2019.1.8f1
    Seems like closing and opening Unity did help to get rid of these warnings.
    Thank you for the kind replies.

29. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You're welcome! :) Happy to help

anton88pro likes this.
  30. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi,
    sorry for a noob question, but could you explain how to use "raycast trigger" trigger? Let's say, I want to use it to open a chest, while mouse is locked and using fps camera, how would I do it?
    Simply giving the trigger to the chest and leading opening action is not working.

31. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Ideally, the Left Click Trigger would work, but for some reason, mouse click events are not fired by Unity when the cursor is locked in the center of the screen. To solve this, we created the "Cursor Raycast" Trigger (not sure if you refer to this one). Basically, it allows to detect when the mouse is clicked having the cursor at the center of the screen.

If this doesn't work, make sure your chest has a Collider. If it has one, could you send us a screenshot of your Trigger? It could also be possible there's an outer Collider between the camera and the Chest's Collider.

32. anton88pro

anton88pro

I'm working on a door and it does have a collider (two of them - trigger and non-trigger colliders). There's no other item between the player and the door and I click on a center.
    However, every time I mouse click during play, there is an error showing, saying
    "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GameCreator.Core.IgniterCursorRaycast.Update () (at Assets/Plugins/GameCreator/Core/Mono/Igniters/IgniterCursorRaycast.cs:27)"
    Two screenshot are attached. One is showing door's components and its trigger collider size. The rotation action works properly, when tested. Second screenshot just to show player's locked mouse action.
    Although doors work accordingly, if I use any other trigger.

Attached Files:

33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Got it. We just assumed there would be a a camera tagged with "mainCamera". I already fixed this for the next update, but meanwhile, you can use the patch I'm attaching in this post. Just install it and the CursorRaycast should work out of the box (if it doesn't, make sure your Camera has the CameraController component).

Let me know if this solves the problem. Happy game making!

Attached Files:

anton88pro likes this.
  34. anton88pro

anton88pro

It's working now and it doesn't create any error messages. Thank you for the quick help!

35. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Hey catsoft, question. My character models are custom made and have many modular pieces, in each game object there are all the different equipment items that I just enable or disable depending on what I want the character to wear. What would be the best way to set the player up so that when I equip an item, say a Shirt for example, it will deactivate the currently enabled shirt and enable the new one? I know it would be used with the on equip and unequip events for the item but I cant seem to get it to work right and wondered if you could point me in the right direction.

If I'm using triggers and actions in the scene I can switch out the objects perfectly with the set active object actions, but in the on equip actions in the inventory catalogue where you create new items it wont let me drop the object in the target area, it only let's me use a prefab.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  36. anton88pro

anton88pro

I have a dialogue problem.
    Even when I try to make a simple dialogue with just two text lines, its not working properly. Activating dialogue plays the first text line, after clicking again, it repeats the first line again. It can go for about 10 times and only then second line plays. Moreover,text lines go a few pixels up after it's finished, which looks glitchy.

I'm using Unity 2019.1.9f1
    console shows no errors.
    I tried to restart Unity - no luck
    I tried using different trigger methods - same problem
    Dialogue example works fine and without glitches

Update: I tried more stuff. It turns out, that checking box "Wait to Complete" of Action Dialogue fixes the problem and text lines follows properly. BUT second text line and all after still behave glitchy (go a few pixels up after it's finished typing, looks very annoying) Your youtube video tutorial and text documentation say nothing about "Wait to Complete" need to be checked.

-----
    One more thing, I'm constantly using "on cursor raycast" trigger, but to avoid for a player to activate the trigger from far distance, I have to create a parent gameobject with trigger collider and "on player enter" trigger, so when player enters a collider zone, it activates game object with action (making it possible to be triggered by "on cursor raycast" trigger)
    It would be much easier, if "on cursor raycast" trigger would have a distance measurement, so it triggers an action only when at certain distance or closer (or farther away or equal). Just a friendly feature request.

37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @jaytwist28 ! You're right on Unity not allowing to drop scene objects onto the On Equip Actions. That's a limitation imposed by the engine, as scene objects can't be dragged onto project files.

We don't yet support SkinedMeshRenderers so clothes that deform with the movement of the characters can't be added using an Action. However, static objects, such as Hats, Swords, Watches, ... Can be dynamically added using the "Attach" Action and set the bone the object will attach to (see example scenes).

But if you're trying to use SkinedMeshRenderers (as you mention the T-Shirt, I guess that's the case) there are some workarounds. One idea on how to do that is using the "On Equip" and "On Unequip" Triggers. You could have a list of these in the scene and detect when the Player equips and unequips a certain item. For example, the "On Equip" Trigger detecting when the Player equips a "T-Shirt" you could use an Action that enables the game object with the T-Shirt on the player. This is now possible, because the Trigger is in the scene, not as a project asset.

Hope this helps!

That's most likely because you're trying to execute the Dialogue Action multiple times. When the "Wait till Complete" is enabled, the Dialogue will need to finish before restarting again, but seems like you're trying to constantly play the Dialogue.

Not sure how you're calling the Dialogue, but if you're using a "On Left Click" Trigger, make sure to disable the Trigger object so while in the conversation, the user does not accidentally click on the Trigger again and restart the dialogue.

Hope this helps, and if not, could you send us a screenshot or a summary on how you start the Dialogue?

You have that already! Although it's a bit hidden, you can click on the little Cog symbol and you'll see new options. You can specify the minimum distance to the player there.

hint.png

Cheers

38. anton88pro

anton88pro

wow, thank you!! it works!
    You are right! Though in my case, I needed to disable Capsule Collider, and not a trigger (which was "on cursor raycast" in my scenario), as disabling it did nothing.
    Thank you for your time helping me again! Best wishes :)

39. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

anton88pro likes this.
  40. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Thank you for the ideas, I'll see what I can do :)

41. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

The onEquip actions work perfect, this is what I was looking for, but I was trying to do it from the item editor and didnt realize there were regular Actions for it. Thanks for the help!

42. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

One more question for you. So I have been trying to make a melee system. Ive got everything working so far, combo animations and a prefab that spawns during an attack and damages the enemy characters HP Attribute. But I'm having trouble "killing" the enemy character when its HP reaches zero. I simply want to deactivate the entire character. Seems simple, so I create a seperate trigger with a condition stating that upon the hp attribute reaching less than or equal to 0, it fires and action that deactivates the invoker. But I'm missing something crucial because it isn't working lol. In the clause stating hp reaches zero if I set it to the hp of "invoker" I get an error saying something like cannot access the stat component of character, so I tried setting the clause to game object and then dropping the character into the spot for the game object. When I do this nothing at all happens. I made sure the characters HP was indeed dropping to zero. That part works, I just cant get the object of the enemy character im attacking to deactivate upon hp reaching zero. Any pointers? Was hoping you could tell me what I'm doing wrong

43. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

ask in discord. He is very active there. @jaytwist28

44. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hmm seems like the problem can either be detecting the HP reaching zero or deactivating the character. If you're using the Invoker as the Character, you can check which object it's referring to by using the "Debug Name" action and print the Invoker's name. This will give you an idea of what's wrong. If this doesn't work, could you share some screenshots here? Mostly of the Trigger and the Actions, as well as showing to which game objects these are attached to.

Although Discord is where realtime support happens, asking here is okay too :) Taking this chance to announce that we're preparing a HelpDesk service too at support@gamecreator.io. Cheers!

45. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

When I get home from work tonight i will take some screenshots and try to use the debug. I made a character, added the stats component then created an OnStart Trigger on the character itself with a condition that upon invoker hp reach less than or equal zero run an action that deactivate invoker. But let me get you those screenshots later so you can see what I did. I tried a few different ways and just seem to be missing something, I don't get what it is though because it seems like such a simple Action.

46. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

That might be it! The "On Start" Trigger is only fired once as soon as it can. In this case, as soon as you hit Play. What you might be looking for is the "On Attribute Change". This will execute its Actions (or Conditions) every time an attribute is modified.

47. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

-facepalm- Well then that is probably it lol. I figured I was missing something obvious. I'll try that tonight and get back to you.

That did the trick. Thank you very much for the help.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  48. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Awesome! You're welcome! :)

49. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Greetings everyone! It's been a while since we posted an update here (we do mostly announce them on Discord and Twitter). But in case someone is only following this Forum, we've opened a new Help Desk service to help you and us keep track of questions, ideas and bug reports.

helpdesk.png

You can still use the Forum as well as Discord & Email! But for complex questions it's much better to create a thread in our new community page. Check it out at support.gamecreator.io and let us know what you think!

50. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Hey everyone, I could use some pointers on something im trying to make in my game. I have a melee combat system in place that runs pretty smooth honestly, but now I'm trying to make some enemy characters that actually detect the player and move and attack. I'm kinda stumped on the best way to do this and was curious if anyone else has already done this and how they did it. I was thinking about using the follow player action but I need a way for the enemy to detect when the player is within range of an attack so the AI can Play the attack gesture. I could use some ideas