Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. apdibbo

apdibbo

Hi,
    I am trying to use Game Creator with UMA with some success, I am just struggling with getting the character animator to work.
    Any ideas on how I might be able to do this?
    Is it possible at all to use a skeleton with the character animator rather than a model?
    I saw a post from a few years ago about UMA with Game Creator that seemed like it might be possible.
    Thanks

2. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @apdibbo . We didn't support UMA characters because the models where constructed at runtime rather than in the Editor. But I think the creator has changed this with the latest versions and should be compatible with Game Creator.

That should give you a prefab-like model with an Animator component. You just need to drag that onto the Model field of the Character component in the scene and you should be good to go.

I'm not very familiar with UMA's nomenclature, so if you can make a very short video of your particular issue and send it to us, we'll take a look.

3. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

I saw you say that the Dialogue module will be updated,I want to ask if it will have the feature that like Dialogue System's Barks, means allows NPC to say something randomly(or by click it)? and I find the current dialogue module just show the dialogue box in a fixed place, can it be show the dialogue box on NPC's respective sides?

4. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

The Dialogue module is more focused on making complex branching conversations. For a barking system you can use the "Show Message" Action that comes with Game Creator and randomly select a line/s of text to be played.

In the latest tutorial we covered how to do that using the Behavior module, but you can easily do that without having to use the Behavior. Check out the video below, I've marked the start time where the Barking system is explained (we call it Bantering)

Cheers!

5. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Some questions regarding your asset:
    What about Thirdparty Asset support? I suppose you can add assets like QuestMachine etc?
    Same for AI Support for example with Emerald AI or for third Person controllers for Combat.

Is there any Network Support planned like for Mirror to use your Framework for Multiplayer? I suppose this will be a hard task and it's not planed right now?

Thanks a lot for your time. This asset looks really nice. Just wondering if I can use some essential assets when using your frameworks like QuestMachine, Enviro etc.

Cheers
    Ronny

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  6. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @RonnyDance !

We don't support Quest Machine, but we have a module that is seamlessly integrated with Game Creator called Quests; which lets you create quests, keep track of them and respond to quests and tasks changes.

Same with the Quests. We have the Behavior module, which is a tailored implementation of Behavior Trees for Game Creator. We thought about making an integration module for the packages you mention, but we preferred to make a custom solution for the Ai, which makes use of all the power of Game Creator.

It is actually. A third party publisher made a module that makes Game Creator compatible with the Photon Multiplayer package. Check out the Multiplayer module here.

If you have further questions regarding each module, you can join our Discord server. Both the Multiplayer module developer for Game Creator and me hang out there.

Happy game making!

RonnyDance likes this.
  7. CFCF2

CFCF2

Hi, I’ve been looking at this for a while and I have a pretty stupid question to ask about it. Can you make a Fighting game from it? I’ve been wondering this so I won’t waste my money on it. Also, can it work with other visual scripting assets and other Unity assets like Cinemachine?

8. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

I upgraded to the latest version, but it seems to have some issues.the Inventory module's previous version only have the Merchant part, but now it adds a new Player part, I have try to delete it , but it reported an error,I only want to have the Shop part,Is there any solution?

9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

A fighting game, although possible, might be a bit complicated to set up. I'm assuming you refer to a 1vs1 fighting game, which have to execute combos at a very specific frames in order to keep the game balance.

On the other hand, if you don't need clock precision attacks, you can use the Play Gesture Action to play the character's attack animation and instantiate an invisible sphere in front of the character for a fraction of a second. This sphere can have On Trigger Enter and deal damage to anything passing through.

It is a bit cumbersome to set up, that's why after the Shooter module we plan on creating a Melee module, which will allow you to do exactly what you need.

Could you send us a screenshot of the error? Nonetheless, because the shop transfers items from a Merchant to the Player's inventory, it might expect the player to be present.

Don't worry though, you don't need to create a player. You can simply add the "HookPlayer" component to any game object and Game Creator will identify that as the player.

10. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Thanks for the fast and useful answer. I will join the Discord tonight.
    So awesome that there is a Photon / Network addon. A Mirror support would be also pretty cool, since Photon is pretty expensive because of CCU limits and for a "small" MMO Mirror would fit better.
    Before going into detail I have a question regarding your Behaviour and Quest / Dialog Modules, since you don't offer Third Party support.

- Does the Behavior Module support complex Boss fights like WoW Vanilla / TBC Bosses? Do that on 75%, 50%, 25% of health. Random Timers for casting spells like 10-30 seconds casting and also Meele / Range Attack regarding player distance? This is pretty important for me and is mostly supported by Emerald AI for example. Having casting mobs, shooting / meele mobs etc. Same for Root Motion support.
    - My quests are written by native speaking people using JSON or CSV files. They never worked with Unity and also don't need to. Is it possible to import a CSV / Json Sheet which holds diferent Quest texts like Descriptions, Titles etc. so you can outsoure the Quest writing? Of course this would only be for the "international" textes. The quest conditions and trees should be connected by the Quest Designer (Not the writer) in Unity. This for example is supported by QuestMachine.

Thanks again!
    Cheers
    Ronny

11. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

When I click the buy button in the store, it shows the error..the item's count is not change, but when I reopen the store, I can buy it again, but the error is still there.
    屏幕快照 2019-05-03 下午6.18.04.png

12. ocimpean

ocimpean

Hello

I just bought it and did a fresh install. And I am getting a bunch of red errors. Is it something else that I have to install or I'm missing something? Tried on Unity 2018 and 2019.
    Thanks

13. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Talk to a user called HJupter in Discord. He's the creator of the Photon module and might be interested in hearing this out :)

The Behavior module is basically a Behavior Tree implementation, so all these should be feasible. But, beware that some of these concepts are not in the Behavior but in other modules. Let me break down your examples:

The Stats module allows you to have characters with Stats and comes with a bunch of Actions & Conditions that can be used with any other Game Creator module. So as long as you have both the Behavior module and the Stats, you'll be able to ask things like "is the boss health < 50%" and execute Actions in the Behavior Graph accordingly.

Random Timers are pretty easy to do. You just need to have a Wait Action and add a random value between a min and max seconds. This will hold the execution of the Behavior Graph and resume it afterwards.

You can also ask questions about the distance from the player but at the moment there is no "shoot" or "attack" actions. We're working on a Shooter module that will allow you to do exactly that (and afterwards we want to create the Melee module, which is the homonymous for close combat)

Despite this, check out this WebGL example that comes with the Stats module (5th example). You can see how you don't even need the Shooter module to create a simple Fireball spell (or any type of projectile)

Regarding root motion, is not yet supported.

Definitely. Game Creator comes with a complete localization system made from ground up. You can write the game in any language you want and then, tick the "Translation" button next to each text and it will generate a JSON file you can send to your translators. Then import back that JSON and that language will be imported.

If a text is not found, it will always fall back to the original language. Check out the documentation for more information.

Got it! I'll open an issue and have this fixed for the next update. Meanwhile, try adding the HookPlayer component to your main camera or any object. This will identify that object as the Player and the error should be gone.

Hi @ocimpean . Game Creator should work as soon as you install it. Can you send us a screenshot of the errors you are getting? Via email or Discord will be faster and easier to keep the conversation: marti@gamecreator.io.

14. ocimpean

ocimpean

Will do in the evening as soon as I get back in town. Thank you for the answer.

15. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You're welcome! :)

16. ocimpean

ocimpean

Still had the errors even after restarting Unity a few times. I decided to try to restart also computer one more time before sending the message and behold, all errors disappeared. Strange Unity glitch. Now I have absolutely no errors. :)

17. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

Sorry, I have another question...
    In the previous version I asked a question about loading saved game the UI can't updated, and now it's fixed.But for the GC's slider component, I want to play animation when its value changes, so I have used the DoTween's DoValue method to play the animation.but it doesn't work,I have try the custom slider component, it works well.
    so the question now is if I use the GC's slider, the animation can't works well, if I use the custom slider, I should use the VariablesManager.GetGlobal method to get the variable's saved data to assign to slide's value when I load game, but it seems that the VariablesManager.GetGlobal method can't get the saved variable's value, it just get the value set in Preferences.How should I do to achieve this effect?
    media.gif

18. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Excellent :)

We just tested using a Game Creator Slider with a Global Variable and everything seems to work fine, even when saving and loading the game. Could you provide better steps to reproduce the issue with some screenshots?

slider.png

We also notice that you're mentioning the Game Creator Slider, but the image attached is a progress bar. Game Creator's Slider is an input field to modify a value constrained by a min and max values. Just to confirm we're talking about the same thing.

19. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

For my poor english,maybe I didn't describe it accurately.Using a Game Creator Slider with a Global Variable and change it value,yes,it works fine,but when it's value changed the fill area was changed directly,I want it changed like the attached image.Is there any way to achieve this?
    If the GameCreator Slider can't achieve this,I want to ask how I can get the value of the Global variable after loading the game,I tested using VariableManager.GetGlobal to get the saved value,but it has returned the value set in Preferences,not the runtime value.

20. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Using VariablesManager.GetGlobal("my-variable") will always return the current value. If you saved your game (and loaded it afterwards) it will return the saved value. Just checked this and works fine. Maybe you forgot to use the Load Game action?

Regarding of this, I think this is more of a DoTween problem: Using the Game Creator Slider will automatically sync a variable between the physical slider and the variable value.

If the slider has an initial value of 5 and you try setting it to 4, the Slider will automatically change the variable value to 4 and move the slider to the 4th position. But if you're tweening between these values, the variable will constantly get updated.

So, if you want to tween a slider I'd advice using Unity's default Slider and set the variable using the VariableManager class.

More over, by the looks of your attached image, it seems that what you're trying to do is create a Health or Mana meter. In that case, if might be even easier using a custom Action to fill the Image based on the value of the variable. @ProfPivec, a Game Creator community member, published an Action at the Game Creator Hub that does exactly that. You can download it for free clicking here and use it in your project.

21. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

I tried used unity's slider, when I load game, the global variable and fill text variable loaded correctly 屏幕快照 2019-05-06 下午10.54.38.png

屏幕快照 2019-05-06 下午10.54.31.png

but the slider's value is still 100, I used this script to set slider's value with global variable in Awake method,I think I can only write code in Awake method, but it seems can't work, what's wrong with it? 屏幕快照 2019-05-06 下午10.03.54.png

22. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

The
    Awake()
    method is only called once at the initialization of the script. What you're looking for is subscribing to an event that, when the variable "Energy" changes", it updates the slider.

Here's how to do that:

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Slider energySlider;
    3. private void Start()
    4. {
    5.     VariablesManager.events.SetOnChangeGlobal(OnChangeEnergy, "Energy");
    6.     this.OnChangeEnergy("Energy");
    7. }
    9. private void OnChangeEnergy(string variableID)
    10. {
    11.     this.energySlider.value = (float)VariablesManager.GetGlobal(variableID);
    12. }
    The
    Start()
    method subscribes to any changes that happen on the Energy global variable and calls the
    OnChangeEnergy()
    method, which updates the slider value. We also call the method directly at the end of the
    Start()
    method to initialize the Slider with the variable's initial value.

Notice that this is just a way of doing it. Although we allow to use the Game Creator API if you prefer, you can also use our visual scripting language to do the same.

trigger-action-slider.jpg

In this case, you could create a Trigger with the On Change Variable option, set to execute an Action that updates the progress bar value (using the aforementioned Action from the last post).

Hope this solved your issue. Happy game making!

Mark_01 likes this.
  23. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

Thanks for the useful answer, I tried the code and it works.

24. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Excellent! Happy to help :)

25. webgrapx

webgrapx

Assets\Plugins\GameCreator\Modules\Editor\Assets\AssetModule.cs(18,16): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'module' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Please help is giving this error.

26. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Hey Catsoft, I was interested in the part about possibly setting up a way to perform melee attack that you mentioned in this post. Could you go a little more in depth and explain the process for me? I just bought your assets the night before last and would like to try to figure this out. Thank you

27. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Do you have Game Creator installed? This error usually appears when you try installing a module without Game Creator. Send us an email with your current Project Panel folder structure so we can discuss this further, in case you have Game Creator installed.

Definitely. There are multiple ways of doing so. The simplest one we can come up with is instantiating an invisible prefab in front of the Player every time it attacks. Here's a more in depth explanation:

Create a Trigger with "On Mouse Button Down" to detect when the player attacks (you can also use On Key Down). Make this execute an Action that will use the following actions:
    1. Play Gesture: Play an attack animation
    2. Instantiate prefab "Basic Attack" and use the position as the Player + some forward offset
    Click play to check that everything works. When pressing the desired key, the player should perform an attack.

Now comes the tricky part. The logic behind the attack (what actually makes damage) will be done in the "Basic Attack" prefab.

To do so, create an empty Game Object with a Sphere Collider component (no very large) and set the "isTrigger" checkbox to true.

Add a Trigger with "On Trigger Enter" option and make it call an Actions object. This component will be fired every time an object enters this area (approximately where the Player swings the attack). All that needs to be done is use the "Attribute" action from the Stats module to subtract damage from the enemy. Notice that in this action, Invoker will reference the Enemy, so the target of this "Attribute" action is the Invoker.

One last thing needs to be done. That is, the "Basic Attack" needs to be destroyed after the swing is done. You can easily do that by adding a new Trigger to the root of the prefab and setting it to "On Start". Create an Action at the root of the prefab too (this is very important) and add one Action: Wait 0.3 seconds. You'll also need to check the "Destroy After Finishing".

This will allow the attack to detect enemies for 0.3 seconds and it will be destroyed.

Hope this is clear. I hope to find some time and make a tutorial about this soon enough :) Cheers!

28. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Your instructions are very clear, thanks. I intend to try It out later. I appreciate the quick response and look forward to seeing more of what Game Creator has to offer. It being half off for the May Madness sales made up my mind to get it, then I went ahead and bought all the expansions too lol, so I'm happy to say that so far from what I've seen it's definitely worth the money. The set up is easy to understand and work with and it seems like there's enough going on in these assets to create pretty much anything anyone would need for their game.

29. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks! Very happy to hear. Hope to hear from your projects soon :D Also, feel free to join our Discord channel. We have a friendly community there, where you can ask questions, showcase your game and so on. Happy game making!

30. akuei2

akuei2

So interesting to your stuff, may I ask 2 question ?
    1. With this stuff, can I move character anyway( walking or running ) with timeline control?
    2. How about changing avatar( cloth, outfit, weapon ) with expansion stuff in future?

31. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You should be able to do. You have multiple options. First one, is using a Timeline animation and playing the "Run" or "Walk" animation State while the character is moving.

But we would recommend the second option. The last Game Creator update includes 3 custom Timeline Tracks. One of them, allows to execute an Action, which could be "Move Character To" and set its destination.

This will automatically animate the character and do the obstacle avoidance automatically, instead of manually setting up the path.

Just as a side note, you can start Timeline playbacks using the Timeline Action.

Changing outfit is already possible :D using the Inventory module. Check out our WebGL demo to see it in action. After crossing the second door you can equip a Hat, a Sword and a Hammer (that requires both hands).

The only thing missing is Skinned Mesh models. This is a planned feature.

Let us know if you have more questions. Cheers!

akuei2 likes this.
  32. akuei2

akuei2

So sad, I'm using 3rd party timeline - Slate.
    What I know at this moment, Slate had no integration for Game Creator. :(
    In other hand, I need a changing skinned mesh( Bikini, Corset, High Heels ) for my girlish avatar.:oops:

Anyway, Thank for replied.
    I need consider my pocket first before buying within madness sell.o_O

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sorry, we don't offer support for Slate. Skinned Mesh is coming, but not as soon to promise anything. Thanks for reaching out though!

Definitely :D We too have to watch out! Way too many packages we want to play with. Cheers!

akuei2 likes this.
  34. akuei2

akuei2

Hi, suddenly I realize ...
    Can GC character move following a certain game object ?
    If can, than I can move character indirectly by animated the game object transform in timeline.

35. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Excellent idea! Yes, there is. It's called "Character Follow" and it allows for a Character to move near a target keeping itself between a min and a max distance.

I couldn't resist testing it, and it works flawlessly! :)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    akuei2 likes this.
  36. simonjacoby

simonjacoby

Hi Catsoft,

I've been using GC for a couple of weeks now and the more I use it the more I like it. Thanks for all your hard work that went into making this! :)

Just a quick question - the inventory system seems very mouse centric right now. Is there a way to enable gamepad support? If not, is this planned for the future?

Thanks!

/S

37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @simonjacoby !

Excellent question. We do have plans for this. There is some sort of support at the moment, but it's not 100% reliable. It uses UI navigation to select the different items, but in order for this to work, we'll be shipping a new Action that allows to select the default item in the Inventory.

Unity presented a new Input system that is much more flexible, and we plan on integrating it with Game Creator once it comes out of Experimental. Once that happens, we'll update the Inventory so it can work with both mouse, keyboard and controllers (allowing you to define which buttons do what, and so on).

Havok_ZA likes this.
  38. simonjacoby

simonjacoby

Great, thanks! Is here any way I could get my hands on the new Action before the release (or will it release soon)? I don't mind doing some of the work myself, and I also don't mind trying out something that's not 100% done. :)

39. Zymes

Zymes

Will this support ECS?

ECS multiplayer?

Is it possible to easily create a crafting system?

40. Siddhattha

Siddhattha

Does your asset support iap ?
    Is it built in? or can we use any other IAP plugin together with this script?

How can one use this script for monitization ? The main purpose for anyone to create a game is for that only right..:)

41. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sorry for the late response. I was hopping to give you the Action right away, but making the new Quickstart video playlist is taking us longer than expected. It's definitely coming very soon (between tomorrow and next week).

Not at the moment. ECS is still very new and Game Creator, although we aim to maximize performance, the main focus is on simplicity.

Definitely! In fact, the Inventory module comes with a very simple crafting system called Recipes. You can create a Recipe between two objects (let's say 10 wood and 2 stones) and execute a set of Actions when these two are combined. You could choose to create an Axe, make a fire, ... Anything you want actually!

For a more complex crafting system you'll have to be a bit more creative. If you tell us what you have in mind, we'll be able to answer more precisely.

Yes and no. The IAP system from Unity is super flexible. Flexible enough to be integrated with Game Creator without any extra code.

Unity's IAP allows to define a Catalogue of purchasable items and have a Listener object for when a user buys an item. This listener allows to attach Game Objects and call a function inside any of its scripts. You can choose an object that contains an Action and call the Execute action.

We're taking note though. This could also be simplified by having a Trigger that is executed when the user purchases an item.

simonjacoby likes this.
  42. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

hi i purchased GC on recent may sales but had not time to start to work with it atm.. btw i wuold t oknow if it could be possible to make a complete fisrt person shooter game with survival horror elements,with game creator and if someone tried to make a similar project and had good results..

many thanks

43. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Welcome to the Game Creator community! It's definitely possible! We're actually working on a tech demo called Life in Space on our spare time. It's a 3rd person horror game but the camera changes to first person when crawling through ventilation vents. Doing so is very easy. Check out the video (I've added the timestamp) for a few seconds of the demo.

Unit Zero Studios (an indie game studio) recently released their first game using Game Creator. It's a first person horror game. Check it out at: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1011090/ANDROMALIUS/.

As for the shooting part, you can definitely do it at the moment, but we're preparing a new module called Shooter, that will simplify creating weapons and managing them.

Let us know if you have other questions. Drop us an email and we can send you a demo of our project if you're interested (it's very green and we've done mostly environment design, but the few gameplay elements are all done using Game Creator).

Cheers!

44. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, Iam following GC a couple of months/weeks and Iam close to buy all modules. Any sneakpeak regarding the shooter module? When will it be released? Roadmap said Q1. Thanks!

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @Devision4 ! Unfortunately the Shooter module has been delayed. We're about to start working on it, so we hope to release it in around 2 to three months.

We've been gathering feedback from what users expect from this module. If you have ideas, feel free to write us an email or join our Discord server and discuss your suggestions :) Cheers!

46. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Can you please show the save/load function in a video tutorial and maybe how to equip items on player character like a backpack after pickup?

47. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Saving and Loading is very easy. You just need to call the "Save Game" action to save your progress and "Load Game" to load a previous game. There's nothing else.

As for equipping items, it's a bit long to explain. Click this link of the documentation and you'll see everything is carefully explained with images and GIFs :)

Cheers!

pushingpandas likes this.
  48. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

Many thaks for your exaustive reply..but i think i'll wait again for sme time to see how shooter module will be

49. blueFire

blueFire

I am trying to set up a trigger that repeats as long as a particular key is pressed. I would assume this would be input/On Key Hold but that is not the case (it only triggers once while the key is held but I need it to trigger continually as long as the key is still down - its for movement).

How do I set this trigger up?

50. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We don't encourage repeating an Actions object like you would do in the Unity's
    Update()
    method. However, there are some cases which this is unavoidable.

In this case, you'd need two Triggers:
    • On Key Down: Calls an Actions object that does whatever you want it to do, but the last Action is the "Restart Actions". This will indefinitely loop the Actions.
    • On Key Up: Calls an Action named Cancel Actions, referencing the other one. This will effectively terminate the execution of the previous Action.
    It's not completely user-friendly, so I'm opening a ticket to create a new Trigger "On Key Being Pressed" that will repeatedly be executed as long as the user is pressing a certain keyboard key. Should be available soon at the Game Creator Hub.

Cheers!

RonnyDance likes this.