Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. anton88pro

anton88pro

Thank you for the response! I appreciate your full answers.
    However, I got one more question,which I can't resolve myself. There is action called "cursor" and wanted to use it to lock camera and change cursor texture, but locking cursor makes it invisible, even if visible parameter is checked as "visible". I tried to google it and it looks like its Unity's problem. I could find solution using coding or playmaker, but is there work around with Game Creator?

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  2. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I'm afraid there's no way to do that, at least not through that Action. As you said, Unity's documentation doesn't allow to change the cursor when it is locked. It simply makes it invisible. Here's the reference: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Cursor-lockState.html (Second line).

But there's a very easy way of overcoming this issue. You can create a Canvas object on your scene and place an Image object at the center. You can then use the Image's Sprite field to fill it with the cursor you want. I'd also recommend turning of the "Raycast Target" field, as you don't want this image blocking UI Raycasts.

Beware though. Locking the cursor at the center makes the "On Left Click" Triggers not work properly, because technically, there's no mouse. To solve this, simply use the "On Raycast Cursor" Trigger, which was specifically designed for this cases.

anton88pro likes this.
  3. koalabear39

koalabear39

hey i just bought gc yesterday and saw your twitter showing the behavior tree addon and you mentioned hitman 2 inspired you for some things. this had me very excited as im planning to make a bunch of 70s-80s slasher horror based games and some of the behavior tree things youve shown are almost exactly 1:1 what i needed for my projects and ideas. also i love how easy and fun this is to use. just wanted to let you know im super happy with game creator right now. i havent had this much fun learning and making stuff like way back when i was making 2d games with "construct 2". this feels a lot like a "construct" for 3d game making :D
    im definitely buying the behavior tree / ai module next month if its out by then, super excited. great work catsoft studios, making stuff with unity would have been a LOT more frustrating if it wasnt for game creator!

Regularry and Catsoft-Studios like this.
  4. anton88pro

anton88pro

It worked! Thank you.
    However, this method leads to another problem. Because I use canvas and not a mouse, I can't use hotspot function any more to change cursor image.I can use the Change Image Sprite action to change an image in a canvas, while player is within a trigger box, but then crosshair sprite is not changing when a player doesn't look at the object, because a player is still within a trigger box. So is there way around this? If there was something like cursor raycast hover or additional implementation for hotspot for changing canvas images/text, when looking at an object, that would be cool.

5. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thank you very much @koalabear39 ! We have said it a few times by now, but comments like yours really boost our motivation to keep working on Game Creator!

The Behavior module is now live at the Asset Store! Was approved yesterday, much sooner than expected. We have also just released a tutorial that overviews it and teaches how to create a Hide & Seek game in less than 15 minutes.

By the way, feel free to your our Discord server! We have a nice community of members that will help you in case you have questions or want to show off your game :D

Right, I didn't thought about that. Now that the Behavior module is out, we wanted to take some time to maintain and improve the existing tools. One of the things we want to tackle is Hotspots. Right now they are too rigid and not as useful as they could be. I'll note of this and take it into account when redesigning them. But at the moment, I can't think of a workaround, sorry.

koalabear39 and anton88pro like this.
  6. SLASH24

SLASH24

hi, not sure if it was asked before : I'm having an issue were hotspot is set to change cursor, but don't work, only head track works & hint prefab shows up. same goes for "On Mouse Left Click" Trigger, where clicking doesn't trigger anything. need help please !

7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Do you have the latest Game Creator version? There was an issue where, if your scene didn't contain any UI element, the Unity Event System wasn't initialized. We fixed that in the recent version (don't remember which one, but it was a 0.8.x).

8. SLASH24

SLASH24

hi,

yes it's the latest version 0.8.5, the only thing I could think of, is a mistake in my work, or else, a bug in GameCreator...
    So long story short I've took a bunch of screenshots to show what & how I'm doing things right or maybe wrong
    version8.PNG

CaptureHotspot.PNG

CaptureTrigger.PNG

CaptureAction.PNG

CapturePlay.PNG
    In my opinion, I checked everything right... I may try to reproduce the issue and send it to you.

appart from that, I just bought Behavior yesterday and I watched the tutorial.
    but I didn't tested everything yet.

but for now it's all right. (except my current issue with GameCreator)

EDIT 01:
    I've tried to reproduce, in new dedicated scene, and there's no problem !! So it might be me... please what Could I be doing wrong, what should I check ?

EDIT 02 :
    I've finally found what was wrong, and the issue :
    it works as long as the triggers and hotspots are not overlapping else it will cause issues, then the hotspot for example will not work properly.... am I right ?
    and then if you want to make the hotpsot work again, you'll have to make its trigger bigger, but then the triggers, smaller, will no longer react. well that's really annoying when you know that GameCreator heavily relies on triggers, collisions, this issue really needs to be addressed in my opinion, somebody else have noticed it before ?
    triggers and hotspots especially must not overlap.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@SLASH24 Yes, that's right. This is a limitation imposed by Unity. As you said, Triggers and Hotspots rely on Colliders in order to work. Having one inside another one will cause the inner one not being triggered by Camera interactions (left click, mouse hovering, etc...).

There's a simple solution though! You can add a Hotspot component at the same game object where the Trigger is. In fact, we encourage this, and we have a dedicated shortcut button for this case. You'll see it in the following image.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 1.02.56 PM.png

Regarding the Behavior module, let us know how it goes! We're gathering early feedback, since it's a quite complex module and we want to know whether it is easy to wrap the head around it or we have to put more work on the UI. Suggestion box is open :) Cheers!

SLASH24 likes this.
  10. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Big congrats @Catsoft-Studios on the release of the behavior module. I'll be buying it today to test it out! Keep up the great work!

11. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thank you very much! :) We'll do! Let us know you first impressions!

SLASH24 likes this.
  12. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi @Catsoft-Studios, I'm using the Behavior plugin and loving it so far. I have run into a roadblock and maybe it's because there isn't a action for it or maybe it's because I don't know what I'm doing lol.

How would I go about making a non-player character trigger a pick-up item? Here's my setup:: I have a character that acts as a companion to the player, Its behavior is to follow the player around. I'm trying to create another task in the behavior that allows the companion to run toward "pickups" nearby and put the item in the player's inventory.

I tried to use the "Can see" condition, but that only allows me to detect (Player, Camera, Invoker, GameObject). GameObject would work if I only needed this to happen on a single object. But there will be multiple pickups in the scene. Is there a way for an Invoker to detect GameObjects by tag?

Also after the companion runs toward the object and enters its trigger, how would I get the companion to actually trigger an action?

PS: I noticed that when a behavior invokes an action it creates a new GameObject in the scene. Will this not cause a performance issue with hundreds of AI agents performing lots of actions?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  13. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Sorry for back to back posts. But after looking through the code, I realized it would be easy to fix my issue above if Hooks would dynamically populate in the observer/target fields.

I was looking in TargetGameObjects.cs and saw that these are hardcoded in an enum called Target. Would it be possible in a future update to have all custom hooks populate this field? That way something like PickupHook can be made and used throughout the GameCreator core.

14. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@PyroStudios That's a good question. The ideal case would be to have an Action that gathers all objects that have a certain quality (tag, component, variable, etc...) and select the nearest one. That's not possible at the moment, but we'll update Game Creator with this Action.

Hooks are very specialized components and you shouldn't bother with them, unless you want to know how GC works inside out. They are accessors that help us keep track of common objects as well as provide cache mechanisms to keep performance at bay (like, when you get a component from the player, it will be cached so for the next query).

The Behavior module stores the Actions from Task nodes in prefabs (hence why it doesn't work yet with Unity 2018.3). To execute an Actions object, it will need to instantiate a prefab of that instance. Although you're right, there's a small performance impact in that, Actions usually stay being executed for a few seconds. Big performance drops occur when you instantiate an object every frame or very rapidly (like instantiating bullets from a Rifle). But instantiating an Actions object every few seconds shouldn't be an issue.

However, if you have a lot of agents wandering around and you need to pump the performance, you can customize the interval at which a Behavior is updated by tweaking the "Update Interval" property in the Behavior component. By default its every frame, but setting it to 10 or even 5 times per second should be more than enough to improve it out of the box.

GamePowerNetwork likes this.
  15. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Awesome thanks! Also are custom actions and conditions possible with the Behavior plugin? Because if so, I can create my own actions for things that I feel I need for my AI.

If custom Conditions/Actions work in the Behavior graph, that will be amazing!

16. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

They do :) In fact, we created our own implementation of a Behavior Graph for this reason. All Actions & Conditions you see in the Behavior Graph come from Game Creator. Moreover, the Behavior Graph inherently can use Inventory Actions & Conditions, Stats, Dialogues, .... Basically any module we've already created.

The same applies to the other modules. All modules can use each other's Actions, Conditions and Triggers.

17. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Wow @Catsoft-Studios I was able to figure it out! That's how simple it was to use Game Creator and the Behavior Graph. Here is the outcome with just a couple lines of code in a custom Condition.

Here is my entire graph! So simple and clean:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 1.54.14 PM.png

Here is the custom Condition I made. Really simple:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 1.54.51 PM.png

And finally here is the end result! I love the behavior module!

Catsoft-Studios and anton88pro like this.
  18. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@PyroStudios Excellent work! Happy to hear you were able to do so :) Not sure if you already know that, but check out the Game Creator Hub. It's a place where GC users regularly post their own Actions, Conditions & Triggers. And if you create an item you're particularly proud of, feel free to post it there!

Cheers!

19. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

I have been using this asset for a period of time, for some reasons I can only use half of GameCreator and half of the code, but some time I have no idea to interact with it in code, so I have few questions.

1、I defined a global variable, when I use the Inventory item, it will increase the variable’s value, but is there some way to stop growing when it reached the max value?

2、I find Inventory have an Item Action, but I have used the JSON data to generate NPC dynamically, so I can’t add Action to each of them, is there some way to get Inventory item by their name or others and then use it in code?

3、How to use the Save/Load system to save/load global values and Inventory items?and how to and the save/load actions in scene,I can’t find the tutorial about it in document.

20. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Not yet, but we're going to add a Min and Max Actions that clamp a value. Expect this in the following update.

Yes. We're sorry this isn't properly documented. I'm opening a ticket to have this fix but the Inventory is still undergoing some changes and the API has changed quite a bit.

Everything is under the InventoryManager class. Equipping an item, using a Recipe, checking if the Player has an item, etc. To access an item information you'll need its UUID (top number in the Item definition). Then you can use it as a key for the dictionary. For example, if the variable
    itemUUID
    has the uuid if the item, you can access its data like this:
    InventoryManager.Instance.itemsCatalogue[itemUUID]

Saving variable values and inventory items is done automagically. You don't need to worry about it. The only thing you need is the Save Action, which will save your current inventory balance, currency, variables values (the ones you've marked as savable), Stats in case you have them, etc...

If you want to know more how the Save/Load system works and how to extend your own scripts and make use of it, check out the following link:
    https://docs.gamecreator.io/game-creator/systems/game-creator-api/custom-save-and-load.

Let us know where you're having more trouble! We want Game Creator to be a complete toolbox for making games. We're open to suggestions and we regularly update it adding new features and squash bugs.

21. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

I have what is probably a stupid question - is it possible to use a FPS controller for the player, instead of the player character?

22. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Not a stupid question :). You can use third-party character controllers with Game Creator. All you need to do is add the "HookPlayer" component on your controller so Game Creator identifies that object as the Player. Beware that you won't be able to use the Move Character To action and others related to characters, since that requires our own controller.

Despite this, we have an FPS camera motor that allows you to seamlessly switch between third-person and first person. It even allows to disable the character mesh automatically. This motors has some advanced features, such as defining how much "head-bobbing" you want and the length of your steps, if you want the camera to sway left and right when moving.

23. mikemuk01

mikemuk01

Thank you for that. One more question - how can I trigger some dialogue? I have written just one line for the character to say, but cannot find how to make it run

24. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi I've run into a small issue with the Quest module.

When I create an "On Quest Status" trigger and set it to listen for "Active" it works as expected.

However if the Quest is incremental and I Add to the Quest's incremental value, the "Active" status is fired again, so any Trigger that listens for "On Quest Status: Active" will fire multiple times when the quest progress is updated.

25. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

1.I have tried what you said, and I've been able to get the uuid's value, but when I get the item's name through it, it seems that the itemName have a special type, how to correct this error?
    screenshot.png
    2.I added a Save action to a button, and a LoadLastGame action to a load game button in menu, when I change some global variable's value(already checked save),I click the Save button, then quit the game, but when I restart the game, click the load game button, everything is not change, why?and what's the difference between Load Game and Load Last Game?
    screenshot2.png

26. Weblox

Weblox

Hi @Catsoft-Studios - How well does GC work alongside other Assets like Invector Shooter Template , Emerald AI and Adventure Creator?

27. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

There's an Action called Dialogue that starts a Dialogue. This Action will be put in hold while the Dialogue is being played, so any Actions you add below will be played afterwards the Dialogue finishes.

Taking note. We're opening a ticket to review this. Thanks!

Yes. The itemName is a
    LocString
    (aka Localized String), a special class we use for localization. You can get the value of the text based on the current language using the
    GetText()
    method.

Code (CSharp):
    1. string name = item.itemName.GetText();
    2. // name is the name of the item
    Check out the documentation for more information about localizing your game: https://docs.gamecreator.io/game-creator/systems/localization.

Load Game loads the game at a specific profile (or game slot). Load Last Game loads the most recently saved game. Load Last Game action is meant to be used as a "Continue" button in the main menu, or when the player dies, show a "Restart from last checkpoint" button.

There used to be a bug that prevented loading the game if the current scene and the loaded one were the same. Can you check if you have the latest Game Creator 0.8.5 version? You can see that at the top toolbar / Game Creator / Check for Updates...

Invector Shooter Template works fine, all you need to do is add the "Hook Player" component on the player so Game Creator can identify that object as the player. Beware though that you won't be able to use our Character actions (such as Move Character To and Change Character Property, since, obviously, these actions require our own controller.

Emerald AI: We thought about creating an integration package with top tier AI packages, such as Behavior Designer, Eliot and Emerald AI. But seeing that every other day a new AI package appears, we preferred to create our own custom tailored solution, which allows us to create a Behavior Tree system specifically designed for Game Creator. This allows us much more flexibility and less hassle when dealing with updates.

Adventure Creator: There's not really an advantage using Game Creator with Adventure Creator. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. We try to focus on simplicity and broader game mechanics, where Adventure Creator has 2D functionality and has been in development for more years, so it has a much larger community. Both solutions are great, so the choice depends on the game you want to make.

Weblox likes this.
  28. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

Thank you for answer all of my questions!
    But for the save/load function,I have tried for half a day and I couldn't get it right.
    what's the meaning of this?
    I have tried add a button on Menu scene to execute the LoadLastGame action,but it seems that only load the Game scene and doesn't load the saved data,(only the inventory item's data loaded,the global variables'value can't loaded,I have already checked the 'save' ) only by clicking the button that added the LoadLastGame action again in the Game scene can it load the global value'data.That means I need to click the load data button twice to load it.What causes this?

Another question I want to ask is for the Dialogue module,can I customize the dialogue UI just like display the dialogue box over NPC's head?
    And is it possible to make NPC speak automatically and randomly without interaction with them?
    If it can do these things I will buy it.
    It's all about these question now. I can only rely on you to solve them.thank you.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  29. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Check out the GIF attach:

save-load2.gif

We've set up a Number variable called "my-variable" with a default value of 1 and checked the "Save" checkbox. When we hit play, we execute the first set of Actions: Increase the "my-variable" value + 3 (which equals to 4) and save the game, and then we increase the value +2 (which now "my-variable" equals to 6).

Then, we press the second Actions, which loads the previously saved state. The Inspector goes blank because the scene is reloaded, so we select the object from the new scene and we see that the "my-variable" value is 4, because the first +3 was prior to the Save Game Action, but anything done after that (like the +2) is lost.

Try reproducing this in your game. If it doesn't work, check that you're using the latest Game Creator version (0.8.5 at the moment).

Yes. A couple (or maybe more) of months ago we introduced a new feature to the Dialogue module called Actors. These allow you to define a Transform target in the scene, a portrait to display as well as the mood. Right now there are 3 custom skins for Game Creator, which are very simple (they display the text and an avatar).

We're working on an update to add more skins so you can use them as a template for your own dialogues.

As for a character speaking automatically, yes. There's the "play automatically" checkbox that allows to define the amount of time before it jumps to the conversation next line. If you attach an audio clip, you'll see there's a button that allows to automatically set the duration of the line with the same length as the audio speech clip.

Check out the Dialogue WebGL demo if you're not convinced and let us know if you have further questions :)

30. YongAiFaDian

YongAiFaDian

After watching the GIF,I found the root cause of the problem.In fact, the variables can be saved. the problem is that when load the game the Slider's UI is not updated(the Text Variable component was not updated either),and when loaded game data , open the shop panel, it will report an errors and incorrect show of the items, can I fix this problem? or I can only wait for you to update it.
    screenshot.png screenshot2.png
    2019-03-31 下午11.14.27.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  31. AdminArdagor

AdminArdagor

Hi, I would like to buy all the assets, but there are a few questions to see how they fit us:
    1) Is it possible to create with it a combat system with a first-person sword? (when the hero's hands lose their various animations of strikes with the sword (and combos), while their legs lose their animations of moving and turning - and the hero can strike with the sword at different levels of height - at the enemy)?
    2) Is it possible to determine the hit of the hero's sword in the enemy?
    3) Does the current inventory support the setup \ display of parameters (characteristics) for objects (weapons) when an item is selected?
    4) Is it possible to create opponents with cold weapons and various animations?
    5) Is it possible to display the purchased items on the hero (for example, that the hero put on a purchased jacket)?
    6) Is it possible to sell the items / weapons found to the merchant at the level - through the inventory?

32. Weblox

Weblox

Does GC support multiplayer (and maybe UMMORPG) too ?

33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

I'll open a ticket and have a look at it. Could be that the UI elements don't get updated when restoring a saved game. I'll take a look and have it fixed for the next update. :)

You can use the FPS camera for the First Person mode perspective. However, you'll need to provide the animation clips representing the different attacks. You can find some at Mixamo for free. All you'd need to do is use Blender or 3D Max to cut off the head of characters so it doesn't pop through the camera.

Regarding hitting at different parts, you can do that with a combination of Triggers and Actions. Use a Trigger that detects a "Key Up" with the Mouse 0 option to detect when the player presses the left mouse button. This will allow you to enable another Trigger which should be at the tip of your sword. If that Trigger collides with something, make it deal damage (using the Variable System or the Stats to represent the health of the collided object).

Yes. The "On Trigger Enter" Trigger allows to store the collided object in a Local/Global Variable so you can use it in the follow up Actions and Conditions.

I'm going to make an educated guess here. I guess you mean having like having a panel that displays +10 wisdom text next to the description of the item.

This is possible, but not automated. Due to the flexible nature of the Stats system, Game Creator has no notion of which stats an item increases or decreases. It just knows that, when an item is equipped, a bunch of Actions are executed (which might increase Stat properties).

Not sure what a cold weapon is, but we've built a new animation system on top of Unity's so that playing animations is as easy as dropping an animation clip and hitting play. Check out our Gestures & States video tutorial for more info.

Yes. The Inventory module has an example of this. Checkout the WebGL demo for a realtime example.

Despite this, equipment is done through parenting and not through SkinMesh Rendering, so clothes won't be able to vertex snap to the contour of the character and move with it. We're working on this.

Not at the moment. We (totally) forgot to add this feature :D. Some users have reported this and it's already on our roadmap, coming very soon.

Not out of the box, but a third party Asset Store publisher has developed a module that allows to use the Photon framework with Game Creator. Check it out at: https://gamecreator.page.link/multiplayer. Join our Discord if you want to ask the developer further questions.

Cheers!

Weblox likes this.
  34. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Quick heads up regarding this. We've found that indeed, the Global and Local Variables weren't reporting a change event after being loaded from a game save. We've already patched the bug and will be available in the next update You won't need to do anything on your part. Cheers!

SLASH24 and Weblox like this.
  35. jamespaylor32

jamespaylor32

Could you please add some tutorials for creating doors, also would be great if you could include a player animation for opening doors and picking up items. Feel like these are fairly basic things to have in a game and it's a shame you've not included them.

36. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi James. Check out our video on Gestures & States to see how you can make a character play an animation like picking up an object. All you need is the "Gesture" action and an animation clip (which you can do it yourself or download for free from Mixamo).

As for opening a door, it's as easy as using the Rotate Transform action and give it an amount of degrees + a duration :)

door.gif

I'm also taking this opportunity to say that we're working on improving the layout options in this Action, since Look At Invoker is not as representative as it should be. Cheers!

SLASH24, Weblox and GamePowerNetwork like this.
  37. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Hey there, im curious if it would be possible to take my own custom character and camera controller and add this asset to it? Would I be able to pretty much use everything in this except for your character controller and camera? And how simple would it be to integrate and add to my own?

38. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yeah it's perfectly possible. As you mention, you won't be able to use some Actions, Conditions & Triggers that expect our Character Controller and camera systems. But apart from this, you should have no issues.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is adding the "HookPlayer" component to your Player object (if any) and the "HookCamera" component to your camera. These will allow Game Creator to identify which object is the player and the camera.

39. jaytwist28

jaytwist28

Thanks for the info. How dependant are things like the Stats and Inventory addons to the Character Controller? I just found your assets today so haven't really read much into them, but those addons would be pretty integrated with the Controller right? And might be hard to set up with a custom controller?

40. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Not really. The Stats component, for example, can be attached to a rock if it makes sense in your game (which might, if you intend to give it hitpoints).

The Inventory, Quests, Dialogues and Behavior are decoupled from the Character and Camera systems (unless, as you said before, you need the Character and Camera actions).

As for why it is like this: Game Creator and all modules are separate systems that know nothing of each other. That's an advantage rather than a disadvantage, since we can allow you to load each system independently without dependencies on each other. The communication between each module is done solely done through Action, Conditions and Triggers.

For example, the Behavior module allows to query the world state and call actions accordingly using Behavior Trees. The Stats module gives you a way to manage player progression. These modules have no notion about each other. But! Here's the magic: The Behavior module can use the "Compare Stat" Condition from the Stats module as long as this later one is installed, allowing the NPCs to react according to the player's health value (for example).

This means that each module doesn't just add a new set of tools on top of the existing ones, but allowing them to be intertwined using Actions, Conditions and Triggers from each module.

This applies to all modules: The Inventory allows to buff/debuff stats when equipping items, Dialogues allow to check for character attributes when prompting a set of answers, etc...

It's a bit abstract, but hopefully that will make sense. Cheers!

PS: If you're a programmer, you can easily create custom Actions, Conditions and Triggers for your custom Character Controller and Camera, if needed.

Weblox likes this.
  41. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I discovered a small glitch when using the "Show Message" action. This glitch only happens when using an audio clip with the Show Message action.

Issue: The frame rate stutters the first time the "Show Message" action is called.

steps to reproduce:
    1) And a trigger area
    2) Set trigger to On Player enters
    3) Add an "Show Message" action
    4) Add an audio clip to that same action.
    5) Play the game and experience frame loss when entering the trigger area.

workaround solution:
    1) remove audio clip from the Show Message action.
    2) add a play sound action before the Show Message action instead.

42. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thank you @PyroStudios for the detailed report. We've reproduced the steps and indeed, the Show Message stutters at the beginning. This is due to it requires multiple subsystems to be initialized before showing the message.

Game Creator uses the "lazy loading" technique to only load the required system when they are needed. This allows us to skip big loading times, since everything is loaded right before being needed.

The drawback is that when using a component that uses many unloaded systems (such as the Show Message) it will try initializing all of them at once.

That's why playing an audio clip before the Show Message removes the stutter; It moves part of the initialization of the subsystems to another frame, dividing the workload.

I personally wouldn't worry about this, since your game will probably inherently end up initializing most of the sub systems at the beginning.

Despite this, a big thank you for the detailed report! Made our lives much simpler when reproducing the issue. Cheers!

43. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi!

Sorry if I sound annoying, but is 2018.3+ support coming any time soon? Unity 2019.1 is already here and want to play with it using Game Creator.

44. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yes! Very very soon! We're ultimating the new features that will come with it. Sorry for the delay but we need to sync all the other modules with this update. Hopefully by the end of next week (crossing fingers) we'll have everything ready for deployment

GreenTraveler, anton88pro and Weblox like this.
  45. Akerus

Akerus

I want to ask the question, is it possible to create RPG using Game Creator, without Custom Condition?
    Something as like, Kenshi or Diablo with more than one controllable character ?
    I apologize if such question already was.

46. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @Akerus . Depends on what you want to make. For example, there's the Inventory module that allows to create items, equip them and, through the use of the Stats module, you'll also be able to easily define stats that affect the player's output damage, defenses, health and level progression.

But I'd recommend starting with something simple, that doesn't require extra modules. Game Creator doesn't come with rigid tools for creating a specific type of game. Instead, we provide the Actions system, which are instructions executed from top to bottom you can use to code the different interactions.

For example, in Diablo, when you click on an enemy, the character moves towards it and starts attacking it. You can do this by attaching a "On Left Click" Trigger on the enemy, which executes the following Actions:
    • Move Character To: This action will make the player move towards the enemy and complete when it's near it.
    • Play Gesture: Play the attack animation. You just need to provide an animation clip and you're good to go
    • Subtract Local Variable: If you don't have the Stats module, you can represent the enemy's health using a Local Variable. You can subtract 10 points here from it.
    • Wait: Wait for a second before resuming the attack
    • Restart Actions: Restarts the entire actions list to continue attacking.
    It is worth noting that this is a very simplified approach, but works as an example. To detect when an enemy is alive or dead you can create a "On Variable Change" Trigger and check whether the "health" local variable is above 0 or not. If not, you should play the Dead state or simply destroy the enemy game object.

This is just a broad stroke of how to make a Diablo-like game. If you have a more specific question about how to do something in particular, fire away.

Cheers!

Akerus likes this.
  47. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

i ask again LOL

any news about FPS system?

48. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

There isn't an FPS module. Game Creator already comes with an FPS camera motor that allows you to move the camera as the head of the player and even configure the amount of head bobbing for added realism.

On the other hand, the next module we're working on is the Shooter module, which will be like a template from where to create ranged weapons to shoot. But it won't be tied to a specific game genre or camera point of view.

Can't put a milestone though. We're currently working on updating Game Creator to Unity 2018.3+ and adding some brand new features to the Inventory and Dialogue modules. More news on this soon!

49. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

hi and thanks for your reply,, shooter module would be fine for my game pourposes .btw could shooter module allow melee weapon too or only ranged?

50. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

The idea is to only handle ranged weapons. This idea is still in draft and can drastically change, but the idea of the Shooter module is providing you tools to create weapons where you can customize the reloading time, the size of the magazine, the shooting rate. It's very animation based.

For the Melee module we thought about focusing on creating different attacks and letting you combine them to create combos, allowing you to play certain animations depending on where the enemy is, and using some kind of countering mechanics.

Again, this is just our ideas board, and suggestions are welcome!