Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Great! Today we'll be pushing a new Game Creator update. We'll then work on some new Actions and Conditions for the Game Creator Hub platform (including the VR integration).

We agree 100% but unfortunately Unity doesn't have such feature (only for curated lists). Hopefully someone from the Unity Asset Store or the Advisor group will read this :rolleyes:

Thank you! The AI (formerly Behavior) module is coming very, very soon! As well as new tutorials (and some of them a bit more advanced). Cheers!

StevenPicard likes this.
  2. SLASH24

SLASH24

Hello GameCreator Team & CatSoft Studios !!

I've purchased your products, and they feel really professional and useful !

(note this is a long read, sorry for that, but I need some answers too)

So I started to make my plans, based and relying on GameCreator's technology.
    basically I'm adding my own game features to original GameCreator's features...
    I've modified some stuff too, carefully to suit my needs, without breaking things, except one thing ... (and that's one of my issues now!)

So, I've modified some scripts and it worked, apparently without breaking things:
    (such as, adding GamePad support through the use of asset Store's plugin "InControl")

I've changed the "Locomotion" Animator Controller too:
    I've made modifications inside the "ground idle BlendTree" so the Player's character now looks around and up/down accordingly to the camera's orientation, while idle !
    I think I've done it Carefully, just slight changes, to me....

And it works good BUT,
    along the way of modifications, I've noticed that foot IK doesn't affect the feet anymore, especially on slopes !

*** Do You have an idea, advices or a solution for me, in order to get Foot IK working again on my Player Character, while keeping the idle blendTree in its current modified state ? What could be breaking Foot IK ?

Many thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to your answers :)

*** Another question, How do I access and modify GameCreator's variables (local, global) from my own scripts ?
    and how do I trigger GameCreator's Actions & Events from my scripts ? where & how are they stored ?

*** Question 3: I'm a coder, I know how scripts works, and I feel that I'm able to modify the core of GameCreator to suit my needs, so Do you think that I can use the 3rd party asset store plugin named "CHRONOS" in my GameCreator's project (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/particles-effects/chronos-31225) ? in order to change & Rewind Time In Game... Or do you think it would too much complicated to get it working ?

*** As I want to add Climb, Mount Over Obstacles, and Wall Run Abilities to my Player Character, I ask you which are the best practices to do these in GameCreator ? what are your advices & tips about it? (I have climb, mount, and wall run animations with root motion)

Many thanks again, I wish you have a great day everybody !

-Serge-
    Regards. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  3. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @SLASH24 ! Thank you! I'll break down your questions and answer them one by one. But before that, we just want to make sure you've tracked the modified files of Game Creator. We're soon going to push an update and whatever you've modified will be overwritten by our update :)

If you're using custom animations, that could be it. In order to place the feet, we use an animation curve that tells Game Creator the amount of animation that should be controlled by the IK system and when it should be driven by the animation. Below these lines I'm posting a screenshot with the name of the curve. As a rule of thumb, if the feet a lifted, the value should be 0, and when grounded (IK takes effect) the value should be 1.

feet-ik.png

Super easy! Everything's explained in the documentation: https://docs.gamecreator.io/game-creator/systems/game-creator-api/variables-access. But as a summary, use the VariablesManager class and you'll have access to all the getters and setters you'll need. For example, to get the global variable "my-variable" you can use:

Code (CSharp):
    1. VariablesManager.GetGlobal("my-variable");
    I'm not very familiar with Chronos so maybe I'm mistaken, but I think that all you need to do is change your Time.deltaTime and Time.fixedDeltaTime variables for the Chronos manager. There's no easy way to do so, but you can try finding all Time.deltaTime appearances and replace them (with the help of Visual Studio, for example).

Root motion is not yet supported in Game Creator, but that shouldn't be a problem, since all root motion animations can be used with Game Creator's controller. Depending on how much fine-grain control you want when the player is vaulting over an obstacle, climbing a ladder, you could try using the "Move Transform" Action. This action translates a Transform object from A to B. You can use this action to make a character vault or even climb a ladder.

Note that you'll first need to deactivate the control over the Player (using the Character Property action and set the Is Controllable field to false). You may also want to deactivate collisions while the character is climbing. You can do that using the Character Collision action you'll find (for free) at the Game Creator Hub: https://hub.gamecreator.io/content/item/rsh9hQEMOlyBf1ndWgCc.

Phew! That's quite a lot text :D. Hope everything's clear and it helps you! Happy game making!

4. SLASH24

SLASH24

Hi Cat-Soft Studio !!! wow that's awesome, you replied fast & good, I can say it's very helpful, many thanks to you !
    I will see if I can manage to reach my goals now with unity3d and GameCreator...
    thanks again!

bye !

5. SLASH24

SLASH24

Hi again, @Catsoft-Studios,

the Foot IK is now working again, thanks for your advices, I had several animations to edit (animations curves) but it's finally done now.
    but there is a gap between ground and feet, seems it's working but just there is a space preventing from actually touching ground... any solution to this ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. koalabear39

koalabear39

i assume its a seperate module for 20 bucks and it wont change the price of the current gamecreator?

7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

One solution is to set the Baked Y component a bit further down (0.075 seems to be the sweet spot). We're looking into it, since some users have reported this same exact issue and we're trying to figure out whether it's a model issue or it's from our part.

Yes, the Behavior module is a separate module, just like the rest, will cost 20$.

koalabear39 likes this.
  8. koalabear39

koalabear39

ok cool im probably going to buy this soon and ill see if i get the ai module too next month hopefully youll make much more of those quick videos as well as more indepth tutorials but as it is right now the documentation seems to be pretty good for this and it seems like the most simple way to make games on the asset store right now. it reminds me a lot of how construct 2's event system works, and construct 2 was literally the only game engine i ever had fun making games with because of how simple and understandable it is

9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thank you @koalabear39 ! Yeah we have some more videos in the oven at the time ;) We're also looking for inspiration, as most of the videos are pretty basic and don't cover advanced topics (due to we want to keep them under 10 minutes). So if you have an idea, drop us a line!

10. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

So I finally purchased this asset and I've been using it for the last day or two. I'm really enjoying how easy it is, however I have a few questions.

1: Is there a best practices for keeping our hierarchy clean and neat with all the actions/triggers/events??

2: Can I use my own character controllers with this? I haven't tried yet but I have a character controller from the asset store that I'd like to use.

3: Is there a way to lock the mouse to the game view when using the First Person camera motor?

4: Is there a way to put variables in dialogue (using the Dialogue module) For example the Player's name like this. "Hello {player-name-variable}, how are you today?"

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  11. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I would also like to report a bug I'm seeing.

When I go to my quest journal and I abandon a quest, there is no way for me to get that quest state back to inactive. I just get the following warning when trying to set the quest back to inactive.

2019-01-26 (2).png

The reason I need a way to get the quest back to the Inactive state, is because I want the quest giver to give me the quest again. If you use the demo scene that came with the Quest module, you'll see the king just continues to say "Thank You" when a quest is abandoned and there's no way for him to give the quest again.

Yes I'm sure I could just add an Abandoned condition to the king for him to give the quest again, but that seems like duplicated work, when instead I could just change the quest status back to Inactive.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  12. Zuon94

Zuon94

Hi, I don't know if guides or tips are still being given here, but I've finally decided to try and give Game Creator a go. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with the interface at this moment.

How would I go about creating a basic Paper Mario 64/GC style character controller? The idle, walking, and jumping sprites for all four directions (Left, right, up, down) have been created, but I need a little bit of help piecing it all together. And of course, I hope leaving options open for eventual attack animations is possible.

It would also be nice to know how to create a Paper Mario camera as well, that can be subtly rotated along curves in the 3D environment, which is a lot more interesting than a never-ending 2.5D Plane of movement. But if this is too ambitious of a question, don't worry about it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  13. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi guys, thanks for reaching out. I'l breaking down the questions and answer them one by one.

It all depends on the project. We normally keep all Triggers that are global (On Key Up, On Start, ...) inside one Game Object at the center of the screen and then move it about 10 units up. That way it doesn't interfere with the scene's view. Same for the rest of Actions and Conditions.

One quick tip: Actions have an option to destroy themselves after having executed. You can take advantage of this and place an Action as a sibling component of a Trigger so it is only executed one. After the Trigger fires it, the Action will be destroyed along with the Trigger.

Yes and no. You can use any controller you want. In order for Game Creator to identify an object as the player, all you need to do is add the HookPlayer component. But, if you use your own controller, you won't be able to use the Character actions (such as Move Character To, change Character properties, etc...).This is a bit obvious, since we need our own controller to do so, but we need to make sure it's understood.

Yup! Using the Cursor Action. You can lock the cursor in the center, change the icon for a cross-hair or even hide the mouse icon.

Yes. It's not documented as we added this recently. It only works for global variables, but should be enough. The syntax is the exact same you use with the Stats module:

Code (csharp):
    1. Hi, my name is global[name-of-variable] and this is my favorite store in the Citadel!
    We'll definitely take a look. I'm adding this to the list. We may contact you later, since the Quests module has a complex dependency relationship cycle between different quest status, so we can't assure whether it's a bug or a decision by design.

Great news! The new Game Creator version 0.8.1 has a new Input method called Side Scroll that allows you to create side-scroll games. As for the controller, that's a bit more difficult to do. I'd advice you take a look at how the Animator and Animations work in Unity.

Once you have that, you can easily create your own animations (I guess you're trying to emulate 2D animations in a 3D environment) using States. Check our youtube channel to learn more about States and Gestures! That's what you're looking for.

Should be feasible. You can use the Railroad Camera Motor, which tracks an object along a path. Paths are defined by two points, so you can't create curved ones, but the dampening of the main camera will smooth out the effect of turning around corners.

If you want even more control, you can set On Enter Triggers that when the player touches them, the camera is smoothly interpolated towards another view using the Change Camera Action. Check the examples of the core module, in particular, the Example-2 scene.

SLASH24 and GamePowerNetwork like this.
  14. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

@Catsoft-Studios Thanks so much! that pretty much solved all the issues I have. And like I said, I can work around the 'quest abandoned' issue for now :)

SLASH24 and Catsoft-Studios like this.
  15. paddywwoof

paddywwoof

Hi, I can't see anything about this in the docs or this forum, but is there a way to stop the adventure camera zooming right in to the wall when the player hits a collider? i.e. like in
    (I'm using 2018.3.0f2 on ubuntu, editor and published app do it)

16. stas1990

stas1990

try changing the wall layer or changing the available layers in the motor camera

17. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We're working on it. This is due to the character being too close to the wall. We're working on improving the collision detection method. We'll keep this video for future reference!

Bear in mind that Game Creator is not yet fully compatible with 2018.3 due to the new prefab system. We recommend using 2017.4 LTS version, although 2018.1 and 2018.2 work just fine. We'll be updating support to 2018.4 once the next LTS version is released and drop support for previous versions.

Changing the layer mask will make the camera go through the wall. If that's what it's intended, great, but the camera getting inside the wall is a thing we've marked as a bug. Thanks for answering though ;)

18. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone! Just a quick reminder that we're going to be doing a live interview with @TheMessyCoder on Saturday the 9th at 21:00 GMT.

interview.png

We hope to overview Game Creator and talk a bit about our future plans and have some good laughs. You can download an .ical reminder file in case you don't want to miss it. Cheers everyone!

Download Reminder (iCal)

We're taking this opportunity to talk about where we are. We've just pushed an update of Game Creator to the Unity Asset Store that fixes some minor (and some major) bugs that we've been dragging along. This update should be made along with other modules.

We're also getting close to release the Behavior module! We're taking enough time to polish and make the navigation as intuitive as possible. Stay tuned!

TheMessyCoder and Brian-Ryer like this.
  19. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

20. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Oh yeah, Twitch has notifications! Now I feel like a dinosaur having published an iCal file :D Cheers!

TheMessyCoder likes this.
  21. paddywwoof

paddywwoof

...and it seems to be fixed in the latest release, on 2018.3 as well as 2017.4
    Remarkably responsive development, once again! :)

22. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks! We weren't aware that the update went live :)

23. KristianF

KristianF

I have one question regarding your gestures & states feature.

These animations don't have to be available in the animator that you play them on, right?

We already have an animator, but would like to play customized (on a unit base) special animations, without blowing up the animator to support all possible animations. If I understood everything right, thats what the gestures & states are for, right?

Thank you in advance.

24. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Kristian;

Yes, that's correct, as long as you're using our Character system. The Gestures and States system are built using the tech that powers Unity's Timeline, which is an upper layer on top of the Mecanim Animator, called Playables API.

This is very useful, since you don't need to plan ahead all the little animations you'll be using in your game and create the (incredibly large) Animator. Instead, you can drag and drop these clips into a Play Gesture Action and it will be automatically played.

Check out this tutorial on Gestures and States:

Cheers!

25. imump

imump

Beautiful asset, good work.

Regarding integration's with other assets, namely, Love/Hate, Quest Machine (For Procedural Quests) and EliotAI (Awesome AI solution) is that possible at the moment? or will you have integrations in the future?

Also, forgot to ask, Will your Inventory addon be fleshed out more, such as Containers to store items, randomizing items and their stats?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  26. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

That's the plan. We wanted to start off by making integration modules that complement our solution, such as Playmaker and Bolt. We're open to suggestions in this regard. However, we already have a Quest module and an (upcoming) Behavior module for AI, so we'll prioritize packages that don't collide with ours first.

Yes. In fact, we plan on releasing a Container component, which will allow to hold items and retrieve them. This will come very, very soon.

We don't plan on allowing items have randomized stats, since these come from the Stats component. Due to their nature, this would be pretty difficult to pull.

Regarding randomizing items, I guess you mean having some kind of loot tables. We do plan on releasing (after the Containers) Loot Tables, which will allow you to define a bunch of items and their amounts and rules to retrieve them. For example, randomly picking one based on a probability weight.

Cheers!

27. Regularry

Regularry

I'm interested in Catsoft Game Creator but all the information and tutorials I've seen show it being used only in 3D examples.

I assume at least some usage for 2D games is possible as well. There is one promo image on the quest module store page that shows it apparently being used in a 2D game, but I can't find anything that explicitly states what the situation with using Game Creator for 2D is.

Is there any information somewhere that describes in detail what limitations there are, if any, with using Game Creator for 2D projects?

28. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Game Creator is primarily focused on 3D. You can still use it for 2D content, but the Character system only works with 3D physics. We plan on supporting 2D later on, but for now we prefer to focus on just one side of the coin.

quest.jpg

I guess you refer to the image from above. This is just a simple texture that we used to illustrate a top-down map with a small excerpt of a quest next to it. The important part is the right side, where you can overview how an investigation quest is broken down in different tasks.

29. Regularry

Regularry

It looks like an amazingly well thought out system so I'll probably buy it anyway to experiment with it for potential 3D uses. Thanks for the information.

30. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

You're welcome! Feel free to ask us any question :) Happy game making!

31. SLASH24

SLASH24

Hello, @Catsoft-Studios !! I remember that somebody had camera issues within Game Creator, because of the avoidance method used... yes I can confirm that it needs an update in this field...
    I'm experiencing issues too ! it's bad.
    maybe this video that I've made will help to fix everything annoying with it :

in this video extract, we can see that the camera can become too much jerky, it needs a fix !!
    when the camera is between player and obstacles, it don't know where to stay anymore !
    here are the settings used :
    GCcamera.PNG

32. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yup! We are aware of that. The good news is that the latest update fixed this issue, so you'd just need to update your project and it will automagically fix this :)

camera.gif

In case someone's wondering, I'm leaving a description of the bug. We did a Raycast (Sphere Cast in this case) from the player's center to the camera's position. The problem was that we stopped looking for colliders if there wasn't any object between the target and the current camera's position. So in one frame, the camera would detect an obstacle between the player and the camera, and move it as close as the obstacle's position. But next frame there wouldn't be any obstacle between the player and the camera (as the position was already corrected) and thus it moved the camera's far away. Hence the jittering.

Let us know if updating Game Creator fixes the issue. Cheers!

SLASH24 likes this.
  33. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi any ETA on the Behavior module!?
    Thanks

34. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yes. Sorry about the big delay. We weren't happy enough with the result and we've rebuild the entire package a few times until we've felt it was easy enough to use and as powerful as we envisioned it.

Because of this, we're going to launch a Beta version with a few features, that we'll expand later on based on your feedback. For example, Characters have the "Sight" sense but don't hear noises, smell or sense the presence of other agents. Once we know that the sight sense works without problems, we'll implement the rest.

And just for the sake of hype, here's a small taste of the Hide & Seek demo that will be included as part of the example scenes. We hope to make a video tutorial on how to do that, step by step.

We'll be releasing it this week, but Unity has a long review process.

Brian-Ryer, SLASH24 and StevenPicard like this.
  35. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

That sounds good.
    I look forward to it. So Unity pull up your socks and release it as soon as you get it.

36. SLASH24

SLASH24

Hello,
    first: yes it's worth noting that I made some minor modifications to some scripts from GameCreator,
    but I really believe that I did it carefully. then I updated to Gamecreator's latest version. modified line by line the things I needed and all, But in the end the camera is still "bouncing" sometimes when there are obstacles !

however when I tested GameCreator on a fresh empty project there was no problem.

can you tell me which script has to do with camera placement ? (so I can try to fix things) is it "CameraMotorTypeAdventure.cs" ?
    or could it be my inspector settings ?

thanks in advance for the help !

37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

@SLASH24 Sure. let me give you a few lines on how the camera system works. The Camera Controller script controls how long will it take to move and look at different objects. It doesn't have any behavior by itself. It has, however, a reference to a Camera Motor, which will tell the Camera Controller what's its target position and rotation. The Camera Controller follows a best effort policy in order to copy the Motor's position.

CameraMotorTypeAdventure is a sub-entity of a Camera Motor that manages the logic behind the motor. This particular one it a bit tricky to modify because it has to take into account two things:
    • The user's input (orbiting around a target and zoom distance).
    • The physical world constraints (not allowing the camera to penetrate walls or fall
    That jittering is usually because the first and the second statements conflict with each other (one runs on LateUpdate while the other in FixedUpdate). Try deactivating the Wall Clip feature and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, you know the problem is in the LateUpdate modifications you've made.

Good luck!

38. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @Lergoo You sent us an email a few hours ago. Where we live that's in the middle of the night :)

We answered your email, but just in case you see this before, and for sake of clarity, Game Creator is still in Beta. Each version adds new features and fixes bugs reported by users.

This means that some features added to new modules require to update Game Creator to its latest version. Upgrading to a new version is an automatic process and there aren't any extra steps to take (and if there are, we announce it). You won't lose any progress you've made on your game.

Ouch! Come on... Don't say a package we've been working on for the past year and a half is a waste of money...

39. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Hi @Catsoft-Studios !

I'm still using Game Creator and still loving it! I'm getting the inventory system soon and was curious if you ever thought about adding a "Loot Table" feature to it? Or is something like this already in Game Creator?

It would be nice to defeat enemies and have loot tables defined and associated with certain enemies depending on different variables and conditions. It would also be nice if the items in these loot tables had their own defined drop chances.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Catsoft-Studios and Regularry like this.
  40. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We've actually been discussing this in our Discord channel :D Loot Tables as well as Containers are coming very soon! Check out the screenshot of our roadmap.

hint.png

Right after the release of the Behavior module we'll take a small break from developing new modules and focus on maintaining the current ones as well as improving and adding new features. One of the things we have in mind is adding Loot Tables as well as Containers (which are objects that can store items).

Cheers!

SLASH24 and GamePowerNetwork like this.
  41. sicga123

sicga123

Any news on the behaviour module release date? Also will it be priced similarly to other modules?

42. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yes. The Behavior module is done, it's just a matter of creating the promotional material, make sure everything works as expected and write the documentation.

you can already play our demo where an NPC plays hide & seek with you. It's a very simple behavior but complete enough to teach the basics.

https://demos.gamecreator.io/demo/behavior

We'll launch a Beta version and we'll progressively add new features based on your feedback. For example, the perception system currently has sight for detecting objects but we plan on adding hearing as well as smell. And yes, the price will be 20$, the same as the rest of the modules.

Here's some promotional images we've been working on!

1.png

2.png

3.png

GamePowerNetwork likes this.
  43. anton88pro

anton88pro

Hi,

I'm highly tempted to buy Game Creator, I love how it easy it looks and the logic, but I still not fully sure what Game Creator can or can't achieve, so I would like to give a list of what I want to implement and could you answer if it's possible or not with Game Creator alone.
    1. first person camera control for actions like transition between standing and sitting, head tilting, parkour system etc.
    2. Riding a transport as a passenger (while able to look around, interact, etc)
    3. Ladder system
    4. parkour system - edge grabbing, seamless obstacle vault etc
    5. close up item interactions, like holding item, rotate it, throw.
    6. loading screen, with randomized tips.
    7. Game settings controls, like resolution, shadow quality etc
    8. different foot step sounds depending on a type of a ground.
    9. footstep trail after walking
    10. lift system
    11. Animation frame as a trigger, like when particular frame plays, it triggers something.
    12. Any shader control? like item highlight
    13. Parameters control of other assets, like Post Processing Stack for example.
    14. Smooth walk on stairs (without rapid FPS camera shaking)
    15. Push heavy item, like bookshelf to block a door from enemy
    That's all for now! :)
    You don't have to give full answers, and something like "yes!!" "yes" "difficult" "no" would be enough.
    One more question. How is Game Creator heavy on framerate?
    Thank you in a advance!!

44. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure thing! I'll break down your questions and answer them one by one. These questions also helps us see weak points of Game Creator and discover features that might be easily implemented by we haven't thought of them yet.

1. first person camera control for actions like transition between standing and sitting, head tilting, parkour system etc.

Yes. Game Creator comes with a First Person camera motor that allows you to seamlessly switch between any other camera type (third person or even more advanced camera systems) to First Person and vice-versa. It also allows to configure the amount of head bobbing as well as choose whether to hide or not the Player 3D model.

2. Riding a transport as a passenger (while able to look around, interact, etc)

Sure! Just need to parent the player (and the rest of the characters) to the transport vehicle and the player will move with it.

3. Ladder system

Depends on what you need. If you want full control over the ladder, see the next question. Despite this, a user from the Discord group creatively created a ladder system where the player can climb it. Check out this gif (It's from a very early prototype, so mind the quality).

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/419164936162377751/551483321469632533/Ladder.gif

4. parkour system - edge grabbing, seamless obstacle vault etc

We have plans on creating a Traversal module. Vaulting should be fairly easy to do, but ledge traversing, climbing, etc... Those are more sophisticated systems. We still need to create the Shooter and the Melee modules, so don't expect this soon.

5. close up item interactions, like holding item, rotate it, throw.

We will update the Inventory module with a few new features. One of them is the ability to inspect an element and examine it.

But I guess you mean grabbing an item like in Half-Life, where when picking an item it's stuck in front of you. You can do that by parenting the item to the First Person Motor and disabling the physics on that object.

To throw it, you just need to re-enable the physics, unparent it from the camera and apply force. Three simple Actions that are already available.

6. loading screen, with randomized tips.

You can freely download the Transitions module, which allows you to transition between scenes with a loading bar or with a fancy effect. To display a random tip, you can easily "code" that using our Visual Scripting tool. Would look something like this:

Create a Local Variable "random-tip" of type number. Generate a random value for that variable (using the Random action). Now create a Conditions object that has a bunch of conditions like the following ones:
    • if "random-tip" equals 1 -> Show Tip 1
    • if "random-tip" equals 2 -> Show Tip 2

7. Game settings controls, like resolution, shadow quality etc

Yup. We have a bunch of actions to control the quality settings at runtime. Not sure about shadow quality, but those settings that can be changed at runtime are available.

8. different foot step sounds depending on a type of a ground.

Footsteps are possible, but not selecting one depending on the ground type is not yet supported. It is, but it's a bit "hacky" to do using Actions. We'll take not though.

9. footstep trail after walking

We have a Trigger component that has the option to fire when a step is taken. You can instantiate a trail at the foot's position to simulate leaving behind foot-prints.

But if you refer to leaving behind a snow-trail, I'm afraid that's a different system, which isn't available with Game Creator.

10. lift system

It... is-ish. You can parent the player to an elevator and it will move up. But without parenting, the player will move with the elevator but will make some funny movements. We're working on this.

11. Animation frame as a trigger, like when particular frame plays, it triggers something.

Animation events are a Unity feature. They only work on components attached to the same object. Luckily you can attack an Actions object to the animated object and use the Unity's Event to call the Execute() method.

12. Any shader control? like item highlight

We prefer to stay shader-agnostic. We have a bunch of Actions that allow you to change material textures and colors from any material, but there's no "highlight" action.

13. Parameters control of other assets, like Post Processing Stack for example.

Not yet, but oh...! This is coming very soon!

14. Smooth walk on stairs (without rapid FPS camera shaking)

I'm not sure if you refer to this, but if I'm not mistaken, to smooth stair climbing you use a flat collision for stairs, so the character moves without bumping. At least that's how we'd do it. Let us know if you come across an example!

15. Push heavy item, like bookshelf to block a door from enemy

Sure, there's a "Physics" action that allows to exactly do that: Apply force on a rigidbody.

Regarding the heavy-frame-rate question. It's a legit but very ambiguous question. Just as a guide, we've tested Game Creator builds with low-end Android devices and works fine. We can't promise zero memory allocations and a perfect performance, because we're creating a generic tool that tries to solve common problems, but we do take into account these factors. We also cache all data when possible, so a frame runs as fast as possible. We work under the precondition that it's better to fill more memory than take CPU time.

In our experience, the performance bottleneck is usually in other places, such as using too many high-poly models and heavy post-processing effects.

Cheers!

anton88pro likes this.
  45. anton88pro

anton88pro

Thank for the full answers!! After reading your answers and spending hours of analysing your asset and alternatives, I've decided to buy Gamer Maker+Dialogue+Quest!
    However, I still have questions and I need a bit more clarification.
    1. About animation events. So do I understand right, Game Creator can't receive global events? With playmaker ,for example, you can start a game object's state machine with a global event "fire", then create string animation event called "fire", so when the event "fire" happens, the state machine will be triggered and behave accordingly. It better explained in this video. So I was hoping Game Creator has a similar system.
    2. I've read before somewhere, that you're planed integration with playmaker and other popular assets. Is it still in plans, or maybe it's even already here?
    3. You have save/load system, but can it be used for non Game Creator data?
    4. In Quest module, you have a journal ui. Can it be modified for non quest related stuff, like monster encyclopedia and can it have .png pictures with transparent background?

I also would like to comment,that you have overwhelming positive reviews and I went through all of tem. wow! I saw some people like myself, who are not satisfied with Playmaker, but they seem to be pretty happy with Gamer Creator. Hopefully, I'll be happy too.

46. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @anton88pro , thank you and welcome to the GC community!

This is quite interesting. Game Creator's Trigger system works with a pre-defined number of events, such as when the Player steps, when the user right clicks on an object, when a variable changes its value, etc...

It's really easy to create another Trigger that responds to custom events, like in the video, so expect it in the upcoming iteration of Game Creator! We love the idea!

Yes. We've been a bit overwhelmed with the Behavior module, but we plan on halting the development of further modules and work a bit on maintenance and adding new features to existing modules. We were thinking about creating an integration module with Bolt first, since it's widely used and the API is very developer friendly, but we're open to suggestions.

Yes and no. Our save/load system has an open API so a developer can easily integrate their scripts with our system, but requires some coding skills. It doesn't save "everything" out of the box if that's what you're asking.

The Journal can be 100% modified and you don't need to have any scripting knowledge, but turning a journal into something else... Might as well create your own Encyclopedia UI for that.

The Journal shows the current state of quests that follow a pre-defined pattern (for example: Active and Tracking). For an encyclopedia book with information about characters, I'd recommend creating a separate UI canvas and use Unity's UI system to create the different pages.

Thanks! We feel very humbled with the reviews in the Asset Store. Although I must mention that Bolt/Playmaker and Game Creator are not mutually exclusive packages.

Game Creator helps you build games providing a set of highly flexible tools and includes a visual scripting tool based on lists that focuses on doing "big things". It's not as flexible as scripting your own solution, but allows you to skip all the heavy lifting and use commands such as "Move Character to position (3,0,5)" and forget about low-level stuff such as getting the direction where to go, calculate distance and acceleration, play the correct animation based on the character's speed, avoid obstacles, correct the feet's position using inverse kinematics, etc...

Despite this, some things might be a bit verbose in Game Creator and a simple 2-line script could do the job. That's where we think Bolt/Playmaker shine best: At allowing to push the boundaries of what can be done with Game Creator. Heck, there's a user who managed to make a Skill menu using our Inventory module and Bolt!

Anyway, I'll stop shameless promoting GC here :p Happy game making!

GamePowerNetwork and anton88pro like this.
  47. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I'll just chime in here as a customer with an unbiased opinion. I haven't left a review yet because I'm still integrating it into my game. However I will say that I'm happy with the purchase of the base asset and all of the modules. It's one of the cleanest assets I've used (and by that I mean everything is just so straight-forward and easy to understand). Also the developer(s) are amazing! Catsoft really seems to be interested in making an asset to help people and not just a quick buck on the store.

With that said, (like all assets) there is a downside. Honestly the documentation is the only negative thing I have to say about the asset. There IS documentation there, but it feels more like a summary rather than a full on document of how everything works. Don't get me wrong, it's not BAD... it just could be much better.

Anyway, that's my thoughts as a customer of the asset. Hope that helps you.

Catsoft-Studios and StevenPicard like this.
  48. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Ah yes... The documentation. We get behind your statement and we promise to fix that. It's just that we spend all our time on improving Game Creator and the rest of the modules. We know that writing and updating the documentation can (and will) take a lot of time so we just procrastinate about it.

But you're right. Could be better. We take note and we're adding it to our roadmap ;)

anton88pro likes this.
  49. anton88pro

anton88pro

sorry for flooding the forum lately, but I have more question to ask.
    1. I still can't figure out how to push rigidbody with fps player using Game Creator. I just want random items to react to player like in real life and adjust how heavy they are. I've tried to follow your advice "... there's a "Physics" action that allows to exactly do that: Apply force on a rigidbody." but no luck.
    2. I've also made mechanic for closing/opening door for FPS mod using Game Creator and because there are not that many tutorials (I'm in agreement with PyroStudios about tutorials), I'm not sure if I do things the right way and the most efficient way. I've even made a video, it's only 4 min (actually it takes me 3:20 min to make an interactive door), so I would appreciate if you could check it and tell me your thoughts.
    However, here's text form of made steps:
    Goal: door, that can be clicked and be opened(animated), only when a player is within the trigger box.
    1. create a door
    2. create empty parent to control the door
    3. appy animator to empty parent with a premade door animation
    4. create a huge trigger box collider for the door
    5. make a local variable bool "player is here" for the door and leave it empty
    6. for the door, create a Trigger, when player enters. Create Action, which adds check for the bool "player is here".
    7. for the door, create a Trigger, when player leaves. Create Action, which removes check of the bool "player is here".
    8. create a Trigger "on mouse left clicked", and a following Condition, when player bool "player is here" is checked , it animates the door. that's all.

50. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @anton88pro . No problem. We're here to help, and the questions you ask are legit ones. It's good to have a place where users can search for them.

The Player should automatically push Rigidbodies around it when moving. The push force doesn't take the mass into account though (we're using unity's Character Controller, not a Rigidbody). So if you have rigidbodies on your scene, they should be automatically moved when the player touches them.

This looks just perfect. It's tight and compact. As you show in the video, you can then easily duplicate the Door object and it will work just fine.

One thing that may interest you is that there's another Trigger called "On Player Enter Key". This Trigger is invoked when the player is inside the collider and the user presses a key ("E" by default). You can change the default key for "Mouse 0" and you'll have the same results as yours, but you'll be able to use just one Trigger for the whole system, instead of three.

Cheers!

Havok_ZA and anton88pro like this.