Search Unity

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. paddywwoof

paddywwoof

I'm not sure if the camera flying will fix what I see - the scenes flip back and forth so fast that it's just not possible to escape and the app has to be killed (or the play button un-toggled if testing in the unity editor).

The 'constantly landing' issue looks like this. It's ubuntu 2017.4.0f1 editor built for linux so it might be a 'niche' bug.

2. yurilin1

yurilin1

This problem must have been talked many times. So I suggested gc to create a thread-based forum but not like this so anyone could contribute there idea to a same problem.

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  3. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

The player goes back and forth because when a camera changes, the player's input schematics adapt to the camera's point of view. This issue can be solved with a smarter camera positioning or space out the Triggers that start the camera change.

We're currently looking into it ;). Once we have the GC Hub set up, we'll be working on a forum-like page.

4. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hi,

Just saw your really cool asset and have a question.

My mobile project is a mobile game that has multiple smaller mini games.

Main Game
    -- Mini game 01
    --. Mini game 02
    -- Mini game etc..

The mini games are something that can be loaded into the main game over the server. Mini games can be removed and added to main game to save memory on user's device.

Question: Do you think this is possible for me to do with Game Creator?

Cheers.

5. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @EmeralLotus ! Loading mini-games from a server is quite tricky (more on this later) and Game Creator doesn't support that out of the box.

On a personal note, a couple (or three) years back, we worked on some contract work that required what you just need. We investigated and seems that you can't load anything from a server. You may place your textures, 3D models and so on using what is called Asset Bundles. These are packs (think of a zip file) you can load to your game after it has been downloaded by the user. The problem with this is that you can't load scripts. It makes sense, since scripts need to be compiled to a specific platform before deploying your product.

So what we'd advice you to do is to create all your mini-game's logic in your app, and then load the different textures and so using Asset Bundles.

Regarding this last part, there's currently no way to load Asset Bundles from Game Creator, but we'd be happy to support it. We could create an Action in the Game Creator Hub (which is a free code-base of instructions that are community-powered) which would allow you to load a given bundle from a server.

6. paddywwoof

paddywwoof

Hi, I'm enjoying finding my way with Game Creator, and so far I've managed to avoid writing any code!

One thing I can't find any direct reference to in the docs or this thread is how to animate character faces (there were a couple of refs back in Mar 18 but not too helpful). I've managed quite well using:

a) blender model with shapekey expressions and a composite (sad, neutral, happy, etc) long animation exported as fbx
    b) trigger (key down) running action to play gesture using clip from a) masked to face.

Which works, with even breathing and other non-face shape keys being applied! However what I want is to be able to run the gesture in a loop (while the camera is zoomed in on the character eventually but for the moment just while I press a key). I can do that by making the action call itself after waiting for it to finish, with a key up trigger and action to cancel the original action. It seems a bit convoluted, is this the best that I will be able to do or is there a better way to make a gesture keep looping while a condition applies. (or not use gestures) PS I have set the loop checkbox in the animation inspector.

Thanks again for this well thought out bit of software.

7. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Glad you're enjoying making games with Game Creator :)

Not sure we got all the questions, but, instead of playing a Gesture in a loop, play a State. A State basically is a gesture that can be looped. We even added the option to play a State from an Animation Clip, so no need to create a State object or an Animator. Just drag and drop your face animation clip to the State action and should work.

As for blend-shapes, we can definitely add support for that. Shouldn't be very complicated. The reason it's not there is simply because our model doesn't have them and hadn't had the chance to create an Action that would make use of it.

On the other hand, if you have a specific Animator on your character's face for facial expressions, you can use the "Animation" action to trigger different animator states. If I recall correctly, one of the users at our Discord channel does it this way and works like charm.

Let us know if you need the Blend-Shape actions and its requirements and we'll create and upload those actions on our Game Creator Hub ;)

Cheers!

8. paddywwoof

paddywwoof

*Exactly* what I wanted! And the option to play a State from an Animation Clip also simplifies other areas where I had been creating State objects... so that's double plus good. No need for Blend-Shape actions from my perspective.

Thanks again.

9. double1985

double1985

Hi! Thanks for this great piece of software. Really like it :):)

But i have one question: Is it possible to transport the Player instantly to another Position on same Map Scene? Move Chracter to Position doen't work here for me

10. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thank you! And Yes. You can use the Transform Action to change any of the transform properties of a Game Object, including its position. Here's a screenshot of this Action.

change-position.png

Cheers!

11. RoyS

RoyS

We can no longer update the Inventory, Dialogue, etc from the website?

12. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We announced this some months ago. We have restructured how Game Creator works. The Store has been deprecated in favor of a service called Game Creator Hub, which is a place where any user can freely download community made Actions, Conditions and Triggers. This allows us to deploy ad-hoc items that don't suit any of the main modules, but are commonly used.

On the other hand, modules are now only available in the Asset Store (although the hub mentions them, it redirects to you to the Asset Store page).

13. namdo

namdo

When did the price of the addons increase to $20? I thought they where $5. I wanted to buy the quests later but I see the price has increased.

14. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

I am also in the same boat. Makes me somewhat regret purchasing the Game Creator without the addons. Maybe next time a warning would help.

15. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @namdo and @Spyderworxs . Sorry to hear that. We announced a while back (like, a long way back) that we would increase the prices of the different modules once we felt they were stable enough.

We got strayed a bit from our roadmap due to working on the Game Creator Hub and thus, further delayed increasing the price of the different modules. After that, we delayed again increasing the price, because the Black Friday and Cyber Monday where around the corner and didn't seem to be the right thing to do, increasing the price before these events. It would look like we tried to take advantage of such.

The good news is that the new price tag will allow us to work with Unity and their promotions. 20$ is the minimum value required for a package where Unity allows to give discounts and promote them through other seasonal events.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  16. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

Hi @Catsoft-Studios , thank you for responding.

I must have missed where it was mentioned that module prices would increase. I did, however, see that you had mentioned increasing Game Creator's price after the Beta.

While your news is good, it doesn't help those that waited just a little too long. Cheers.

17. namdo

namdo

I didn't even know it was a beta. I just bought Game Creator during the sale. WAs planning to play with it then get the addons. After playing with wanted to buy the addons and see the price has increased.

18. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

There's never a correct time to increase the price and we try to be as honest as possible. We take around 3 to 5 months to develop each module. Plus, we support, listen and add new features afterwards (like Actor support for the Dialogue module and the Merchant system for the Inventory). All this takes time.

Because Game Creator is still in beta, and thus, the different modules are in beta too, we needed to gather feedback from real users as quickly as possible; hence the low entry price of 5$.

But with that price, we can't sustain an active development and the quality of the product would be affected.

PS: You don't need to purchase all add-ons. We've built them to work independently, so you only need to buy and install the ones you need :)

19. paddywwoof

paddywwoof

I missed out as well! Spent too long getting used to the core functionality, should have just got the addon I thought might be useful. Now, rather illogically, I will try and do without, probably spending much more time coding my own system. Oh well.

20. koalabear39

koalabear39

will you put this on winter sale soon?

21. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We'll be participating in all major sales we're allowed to, but Unity has the last word. This is how it works.

Unity usually sends an email to those publishers that fit the requirements of the sale. Then, we as publishers, have to decide which ones we want to include. After providing some additional information, right before the sale starts, we can see the list of publisher assets being included in the sale (to confirm we're there). For example, we weren't featured during the Blackfriday, but we were present during the Cyberweek.

Cheers!

koalabear39 likes this.
  22. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

I am having some trouble with the Inventory Add-on. It may simply be that I do not understand how to use it properly or that the version of Unity I am using somehow conflicts with it (on version 2018.3.0f2). Anyways the issue is that when I create an equippable item, click to add an action for "On Equip", then select equip item in the Inventory actions, an error is thrown and the action disappears along with the Add Action button.

Let me see if I can add a screenshot here:

Let me know if I can do something to get around this. Thanks.

Attached Files:

23. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi @Spyderworxs . Thanks for the report. This might be an issue with Unity's new prefab system. We'd recommend sticking with Unity 2017.4 Long-Term Stable although 2018.1 and 2018.2 should work fine too.

Regarding the issue, the new prefab system is a complete overhaul from the previous one, so we expected that some issues would arise. As soon as Unity publishes the next LTS version (2018.4) we'll drop support for 2017.4 and fix this issue. Game Creator heavily relies on prefab creation, so we can't support both systems due to class name incompatibilities.

Thanks for the report though! We'll open a ticket and hopefully have this fixed for the next iteration of Game Creator.

24. JC_LEON

JC_LEON

Hi man ... and sorry if i ask to you again.. but did you plan a release ofr the frist person module really soon or is forward on the roadmap..
    i'm waiting for t ito purchase the asset and all its extensions even if recently price upgrade really disappointed me

25. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Game Creator already comes with a FPS system. You can even switch from third person to first person seamlessly. You might be referring to the Shooter module, which will allow you to use different weapons and customize the output. In that case, we can't really tell. We're working full steam on the new Behavior module, which will allow you to create reusable AI through visual decision trees. Check the following image (still in development).

behavior-module.png

Once we're done with this module, we'll update the rest of the module to fix some bugs reported by users and add some new features in some cases, while we discuss with the community our next step, which might very well be the Shooter module.

Cheers!

StevenPicard likes this.
  26. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

The behavior tree is very nice. When will it be released?

27. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We've just finished the backbone of the Behavior Tree implementation. We're aiming to have it ready between the 15th and the 30th of January, but the Asset Store team usually take 3 to 4 extra weeks to review a new package.

28. LNMRae

LNMRae

Yikes, coming here like others just to say what a drastic price jump when it comes to the modules, when they were originally free to test on the website. I follow you guys on twitter and didn't see anything about this change being up and coming? It now costs $65 plus $80 for a grand total $145 dollars if you want everything, for products not even out of their beta state yet? Ouch.

So, are the modules going to increase again once they reach their 1.0 release?

29. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We understand it's never the right time, and for users who were waiting, it's a bummer. But also understand that we can't live off giving for free these modules. It's been 2 years since we started developing Game Creator. We explicitly stated in the first post that Game Creator had an introductory price of 30$ and it would slowly increase it's price to its full value of 70$. We're at the end of the Beta phase, and the price reflects that. Same goes for the modules, which will stay at 20$.

We acknowledge that, although we try to be as transparent as possible, we haven't handled this topic specially well. We're programmers and we do what we can to address communication as well as we can, but our main focus is in the product. Developing it, as well as giving support. We thought it was clear, but looks like it wasn't, but we'll learn from this.

Having said that, we're committed to keep working on Game Creator, releasing new modules and adding new features that will streamline game development for everyone. But we want to keep doing it with the highest quality standards. We continuously work on fixing bugs, adding new features, tweaking the characters that behave more naturally, adding post-launch features to modules, creating community platforms, such as the Game Creator Hub, giving realtime support on Discord, and so on. And all this, requires time. A lot of our time.

koalabear39 and uni7y like this.
  30. stas1990

stas1990

How to make a combat system can you tell me more in detail using a sword?

31. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure. We have plans on releasing a module that will handle melee combat, such as allowing for combos and so on. But for a simple sword combat, here are some tips.

You can make a Character swing the sword using the Gesture action. All you'll need to do is to drop an animation of a human swinging the sword. You can download free animations on the Mixamo website.

Once your character can swing a sword, you should attach a Box Collider as well as a Trigger of type "On Enter". This will fire the subsequent actions/conditions every time the sword collides with something.

Now create a Conditions object. Before damaging the collided object, you should check if the collided object has a Local Variable "health" (for example). There's no such condition in Game Creator, but you can download it for free following this link.

If the past condition is true, you need to create an Action that subtracts -1 to the collided object's "health" variable.

Note: We're assuming you're using Game Creator without any module. There's the Stats module that will help you keep track of a character's health, damage output and many other stats, but you can use the default Variable system for a simple combat system like this one.

All that's left to do is to add to your enemies a Local Variable component and create a "health" variable for each one with a numeric value of 10 (for example).

Hope this is clear. If you get stuck somewhere, feel free to ask us here or in an email.

32. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I know you are preparing a variety of modules. So I think there are many things to do in the future. I am wondering if you have a Sims-like module during most of your plans. Of course the Sims is very complex. What I want to ask you about is a module like the Sims that controls the AI like the Sims. It's never a game like The Sims. I'm simply asking if you have any plans to create a module that controls multiple characters like the Sims and moves with each AI.

33. stas1990

stas1990

when will this module come out? I mean hand-to-hand combat and melee

34. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

The new Behavior module will definitely allow you to do so. This module will feature a unique take in Behavior Trees, that will allow you to reuse different trees into one single one, much like sub-state machines in the Animator.

If we're not mistaken, the Sims was built using a combination of behavior trees and utility theory, which is an approach to manage decision making in a more analogue way. We'll be giving support in the future to Utility, although we're pretty sure you can build a Sims-like game using Behavior Trees and the Stats module ;)

Can't really say. We're currently working on a Behavior module that will allow to define intelligent behavior to enemies and non-playable characters. Later on, we were planning on making the Shooter module, which is very similar to the Melee.

35. stas1990

stas1990

Could you create a melee system, as for RPG it is very important? I think a lot of people would buy it

36. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

As we said, we're first going to wrap up the Behavior module and then we'll work on the Shooter. These ones have been highly requested and some users are counting on them for their projects. We'll work on the Melee afterwards.

uni7y and StevenPicard like this.
  37. DeepDriftStudios

DeepDriftStudios

Hello Catsoft, I know you guys have said that you do not support multiplayer directly but do you know of any methods or third party add ons that might help with this?

38. roykoma

roykoma

39. MAXFORCE

MAXFORCE

What about old multiplayer - UNET, there is unity3d 2017 LTS version with UNET? It will be great for ummo with UNET integration. Photon is very expensive who has no money for photon multiplayer.

40. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

UNET has been recently deprecated, so there's not really a point on integrating it. Regarding Photon, The Multiplayer module, as @roykoma said, is an unofficial module and has been developed by a third party. You should ask your questions regarding multiplayer capabilities to Ninjutsu Games.

41. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

A quick heads up, as we've recently released a brand new tutorial on how to make a character ride any type of vehicle. It's a bit more advanced than the previous tutorials, but nothing too complex. Cheers!

uni7y and Brian-Ryer like this.
  42. stas1990

stas1990

I made a simple combat system! Thanks for the tips! Would it be interesting to know if I could make several types of weapons using the inventory system and switch between them?

43. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure! There's an example on how to do that in the Inventory example scenes. You can choose to equip a Hat (which does nothing but show a fancy thingamajig on your head), a Sword on your right hand or an Axe.

Because you can't carry both a Sword and an Axe on your right hand, these are automatically swapped when equipping them. Everything is handled automatically by Game Creator. You only need to worry about increasing the Stats of the Player (or a variable with the damage output of the weapon) at the On Equip actions, as well as removing these stats on the On Unequip actions.

Check this link for more information about how to handle equipment: https://docs.gamecreator.io/inventory/inventory/equip-items

Cheers!

44. stas1990

stas1990

How to set the condition OR in conditions (script), for example, after pressing a button, did I play the first or second animation?

45. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

All Conditons lists use an AND. If you want to call a certain Actions list check if A has happened or B has happened, you can create a couple you can create a Conditions object that has two clauses. Clause checks if A has happened, and if so, execute an Actions list. Then, below clause A, create another one which checks if B has happened, and reference the same Actions as A. So it would look something like this:
    • If (played animation A) → Execute Actions X.
    • If (played animation B) → Execute Actions X.
    Hope this make sense. Conditions stop check further down when one clause evaluates to true.

46. PsilocybPsps

PsilocybPsps

Good afternoon, there are some questions, is it possible to make a similar rpg system, like in the Elder scrolls Oblivion or Morrowidn? I understand that it is difficult to build such a logic, but I need to know before buying your asset!

47. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

These games contain multiple moving parts, so before giving you a definitive yes or no answer, we'd rather prefer you hinting us which part are you most interested in.

In this games, you level up certain skills by just performing actions related to these. This can be easily achieved using the Stats module. You define a stat and another one which indicates its level. All you need to do is add a certain XP value to the stat level each time you perform an action.

Example: You want to increase the Agility of a character. All you need to do is create an "Agility" stat and an "AgilityXP" stat. Using the Game Creator Trigger "On Character Step" you can increase the amount of "AgilityXP" of that character. Then, all you need to do is determine the level of the Agility. A similar example can be found in the example scenes of the Stat module.

Before you purchase it, check out the documentation on the Stats module. Specifically, the Level and XP section: https://docs.gamecreator.io/stats/stats/common-use-cases/levels-and-xp.

If you meant something else, let us know ;-)

48. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Oh dear, that just most probably blew it for me! The price now of the modules is not nice. I had no idea they would go up and first it was mentioned that they were free. Then 5$, now 20$ I can understand you need to make money but if I was going to stay with game creator, then you are going to need a bundle module asset that guaranties all future modules free. Assessing that I would pay 120$ to have that guarantee otherwise I see no alternative as to stay with what I’ve already got.

One question_: In VR I use the Vive Focus and that has a universal controller script. From this script I can get a bool value if a button on the controller is pressed and then in Bolt or Playmaker I can get this property and test against it.

So how do I do that in Game Creator?

49. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We appreciate the feedback, but we don't force you to pay 120$ upfront. In fact, we discourage it. You should only be paying for the modules you'll need for your game, as each one of them works independently.

Regarding question, we have little experience with VR so we'll need a bit of guidance here. Is this the package you're using https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/vive-input-utility-64219? It will require a bit of code (couple of lines in fact) to integrate this with Game Creator, but we can do it and publish it at the Game Creator Hub platform.

Regularry and Brian-Ryer like this.
  50. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Yes that is the package what is used for multiple VR devices like Vive and Oculus. As I think Game Creator is exactly what could be used for VR developers, that are not programmers but want to build their own content, and then having this as a module for Game Creator would be very interesting for rapid VR development.

Also, if a bundle version of modules existed, then I would buy it. People could then still choose to purchase modules separately or the bundle, as more modules will keep coming I hope. I just like having things as a complete set.

It would be something to consider.

I am also looking forward to your AI module. And please keep up with your very good video tutorials.