Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

★ Game Creator ★

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Catsoft-Studios, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

game-creator-header.png

Game Creator is a complete solution to kickstart your game in a matter of minutes. No coding required and suitable for both advanced Unity users and beginners. Say goodbye to frustration when being in the middle of the creative process of making games!

HOW IT WORKS (STORY MODE)

Game Creator is about this; Creating interactions without the struggle and frustration caused by debugging mechanics or coding missing parts. We think that making games should be a a flawless creative process and shouldn't be interrupted by technicalities and bugs.

COMPONENTS SUMMARY

With Game Creator you can easily create game mechanics with just a few clicks. It comes with a bunch of flexible components that provide enough functionality to create almost any game. These components are:
    • Actions: Sequence of instructions.
    • Events: Fire Actions under certain conditions
    • Triggers: Execute Events and Actions when something happens.
    On top of these components, there are also others that will help you bootstrap your game even faster. Game Creator is build so you can make games fast and frustration free!
    • Hotspots: These help you create interactive elements. You can change the cursor when hovering them, make the player look at them within a radius, etc...
    • Characters: Game Creator comes with production ready character systems. You'll be able to move characters around, create routine patterns, make them interact with the player and so. They work with both Unity's CharacterController component and the Navigation Mesh if you want to avoid obstacles.
    • Player: Is a special type of character that can be controlled using the mouse (Point & Click) or a directional controller (WASD, joystick, ...).
    • Cameras: Game Creator also comes with a complete set of camera tools. You can switch between different cameras, make it follow the player, follow a path in a dolly-rail style and more!

quickstart-video-tutorials-800.png
    SCREENSHOTS

actions-screenshot.png
    Fig.1.1 - Actions

trigger-screenshot.png
    Fig. 1.2 - Example of a Trigger executing an Action when the Player enters the orange zone

hotspot-screenshot.png
    Fig. 1.3 - Hotspots allow to make Characters look at points, change the cursor when hovering, etc...

LINKS OF INTEREST

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Duffer123 and AGregori like this.
  2. AGregori

AGregori

Seems pretty advanced and intuitive.
    I take it that you've closely studied existing semi-competitors like Makinom or Adventure Creator. If you manage to make this even more streamlined and effective, you've got a winner on you. :)

3. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks Gregorik! Actually, we bought Adventure Creator 7 months ago (when we started creating Game Creator) and wanted to extend it to fit our needs. Adventure Creator is a very robust framework with lots of functionalities, but we found ourselves having bunch of features we didn't need or keeping legacy code to be compatible with 4.x versions of Unity.

With Game Creator we wanted to create more of a bare bone structure, and add features as separate projects. For example, if you want to create a game like Dark Souls, you might need an Inventory Manager (we're currently working on it), but not a multi-branch dialogue system (coming soon).

By doing so, your project will only have the features you need and nothing else. On the other hand, taking this approach forces us to create extendable code, which sometimes, we, programmers, forget to do as we rush into the fray of coding ;)).

AGregori likes this.
  4. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

We've just updated the first post with new screenshots (we were in a kind of a rush since Unity approved the package in less than 12 hours when they normally take a two weeks or so).

By the way, don't hesitate to drop us a line with any questions/suggestions you have! We'll be happy to help!

5. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Everything looks very polished and slick. Are the extensions (inventory, dialog, etc.) going to be included in the package as free upgrades or will they be additional purchases? What genre of games do you plan on being able to support?

Functionally it seems very similar to the $25 Adventure Toolkit (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/22179) which is making me think your asset might be over priced but I suppose it all depends on what you plan to eventually add. You definitely have a very professional and slick presentation throughout your asset, demo game, web site, tutorials, etc. and that to me looks very promising.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks! For the moment we'll be sticking with free packages as we think that our revenue should come from the main module, not from extensions.

We're going to support mostly 3D games, whether they are adventure, action or RPGs. Our Roadmap starts with common modules, such as the Dialogue or the Inventory, but we have planned different combat systems, weapons, turn-based games, etc.

As for being it similar to Adventure Kit... Damn it, we still have to work on how to market ourselves :p. Adventure Kit is a set of independent scripts that help you build your game. With Game Creator you can build entire mechanics with the visual scripting tool, save the game's state with the variable system, drag and drop characters inside the scene that work straight out of the box, create a complex multi-camera system (like the old-school Resident Evil) and a bunch of other stuff.

Here's a small example of how to create a Matrix-like bullet time effect (The scene is composed of a floor and a bunch of rigidbody boxes, nothing else):

PS: We'll try to work on the product description. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  7. AGregori

AGregori

Yep, The Adventure Toolkit is no real competition to this. Makinom, however, is. I bought it 2 years ago, but never got into it: it lacks the slick interface and possibly the quick workflow Game Creator might have. So please keep the updates coming. ;) And please aim for something even more efficient than ORK, Makinom, or even Adventure Creator.

8. coverpage

coverpage

9. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure! We'll dig further into Makinom! We're currently focused on designing and tweaking the user experience but we plan on extending functionalities to cover even more features in the near future. Thanks for the input!

That's a question we've been willing to answer! We were lucky enough to get our hands on Gameflow some months ago during Level Eleven and it is a tool that rocks! We know it might seem that both Game Creator and Gameflow look pretty much the same, but here's the difference:

Gameflow focuses on exposing as much Unity's functionality as possible. You actually "code" using their tool. The whole module is a visual scripting tool.

On the other hand, Game Creator provides a similar visual scripting tool, but instead of having lots of small actions, we have fewer and more complex ones. For example, in Gameflow there is no notion of character and to move one you have to use Unity's transform methods. In Game Creator you simply call the Action "Move Character" and it will automagically move the character using the most suitable system (CharacterController, Navigation Mesh, etc...).

character.png
    move-action.png

Plus, Game Creator comes with a complete Camera system, persistent Variables, Hotspots, a simple dialogue system, ... pretty much everything you need to start developing a game.

Heck
    ! We developed an entire one using only Game Creator in a week! :)
    (see https://catsoftstudios.itch.io/the-investigation)

TL;DR

You can actually call Gameflow functions from Game Creator, as both can complement each other. If you are comfortable using Gameflow but want a more game-focused tool to kickstart your project right away, pick both! :-D

10. unicat

unicat

Hi, is it possible to make a fps camera with this system ?

11. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I have GameFlow but I think using that with your asset is a great selling feature. Perhaps you could work with the author to have a tight integration? I really see these two assets complementing each other which is cool.

Questions:
    1. How is AI handled and how extensible is it (or at least, how is it now and what future do you plan for it?)
    2. Does it have a character controller built-in and\or does it work with external ones?
    3. Does it support First Person Perspective in addition to the 3rd?
    4. Does this work with VR? My current project is intended to support Cardboard, GearVR and DayDream with the eventual support of Oculus and Vive.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

12. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure! There is no specific FPS camera motor right now (we're adding this feature in our roadmap) but it can easily be achieved. Check it out for yourself in the video below

13. unicat

unicat

Great, thank you for the video. Going to buy this now. :)

14. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I didn't see unitcat's question when I wrote up my questions, so that's one question down. That technique you showed will work great.

ocimpean and Catsoft-Studios like this.
  15. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi StevenPicard!

There is no AI module for now. we don't know how complex of an AI you want to create, but let us share a small tutorial on how to make a simple patrol pattern.

Note: Making this tutorial we noticed there's a bug when moving a character to a Marker as it faces the Marker's direction at the beginning of the movement (instead of waiting until it gets to its destination).

There is a character controller built-in. You can choose to move the character using the Navigation Mesh system or using the Unity's built-in CharacterController. The character animation is handled by another component called CharacterAnimator, which pretty much gives you the flexibility to create your own model with your own animations. For more information on this, visit https://docs.gamecreator.io/manual/characters.html#animating-the-character

Yes and no. You can setup a CameraMotor inside the player and it will follow the player's head. But won't move with the mouse (only directional keys). Since this feature has been requested a couple of times, we've added it in our short-time roadmap ;-)

We don't have any VR device but Game Creator should work in any platform. We would need more information on what you want to do. If it's not possible to share details of your project publicly, send us an email and we'll try to answer your questions.

You're more than welcome! We're gathering a lot of feedback from you guys! We're taking notes and we'll be updating Game Creator with fresh new features! Keep the ideas coming!

16. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Awesome! Keep in mind it's still in Beta. If you find any bug or have a suggestion to improve Game Creator send us an email, drop a line here or open an issue in our issue tracker. Cheers!

17. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

If there's built-in AI it would only need to be basic because that topic is its own can of worms. lol. Supporting ICE, Emerald AI, etc. would be the best solution.

Even if you test on Cardboard that would be good enough. However, if I purchase this and help give you feedback on anything that doesn't work on VR would you be open to that?

18. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I wanted to add that so far your presentation and support is spot on. I'm just going to have to purchase this. Looks like if I do come across issues you'll be more than happy to help. Tutorial videos, for example like you have been creating, are awesome.

19. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Absolutely! We'll keep an eye to the packages you mentioned and try to support AI, though we don't know whether it will be available in the short term.

Game Creator focus is not on VR but we'll gladly receive feedback to support it as we lack experience in this particular field. We can't promise we will fulfill your expectations so send us an email with your concerns and we'll look into it ;-)

20. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks! We're flattered! :D

21. Migueljb

Migueljb

I second the VR creation part of this. I'm more focused on the mobile part of VR atm. I'll also purchase this and test out in VR with feedback when I can. Being an artist this at first glance and watching your current videos seems like you guys nailed the KISS method. If that's the case and artist's like myself can create full game experiences you got a winner here.

-Miguel

StevenPicard likes this.
  22. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Guess tonight we'll have to start watching some GDC conferences about VR best practices :D
    Seriously, thank you very much. It's been 6 non-stop months developing these tools (3 times from ground zero) and we hope you can create great things with it.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  23. Migueljb

Migueljb

The first thing to get right when it comes to anything VR is the gui. Definitely read all about how it needs to be created/designed to work in any VR space. Also in anything VR the scale is very important to get right when it comes to everything if not things wont look right.

24. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Great, we'll take a look and play a little with a mobile VR headset we bought some time ago (and it's collecting dust). The scale and UI part doesn't preoccupy us as much as providing ways of interacting with objects that fits the current Game Creator design. We'll come back with some news about it, but if you try it and have some suggestions, we'll be happy to help.

StevenPicard likes this.
  25. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I didn't get a chance to buy it yesterday but I am today. While I was sitting in the doctor's office yesterday I read the documentation and I saw how easy it is to create your own actions and conditions. This asset seems very well thought out.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  26. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks Steven! This is something also wanted to talk about (but we haven't had a chance to do, since it's not a selling point). We decided to give every Action and Condition a meaningful icon following the Unity aesthetics and color codes. For example, the dark green color is used for Variables while the brown-white is used for Unity related stuff.

action-icons.png

We've set up a blog in our website next to the documentation so we can post tutorials, tips & tricks and news about Game Creator. Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    StevenPicard and AGregori like this.
  27. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Good morning everyone!

We'd like to announce that while working on the new Inventory module for Game Creator we've decided to cut some features and add support for @jorisshh (Devdog) Inventory Pro.

By doing this we'll be providing a simple inventory functionality for those who want just that and full integration for Inventory Pro for those who want advanced inventory features such as crafting, recipe making, smithing, etc...

So our roadmap steps are going to be:
    • We'll finish the Inventory for Game Creator module and deploy it for free.
    • We'll create an Integration Manager for the Game Creator and launch it to easily integrate third-party packages, starting with Inventory Pro.
    Have a nice weekend! Cheers!

Bhanshee00, jorisshh and AGregori like this.
  28. AGregori

AGregori

I think that's a step in the right direction. No one does inventory better than Inventory Pro.

jorisshh likes this.
  29. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I bought your asset yesterday and I agree that supporting 3rd party assets for more advanced features may be wise (which is why supporting 3rd party AI for more advanced needs makes sense because that is a deep subject) but I do hope that this asset is complete as possible on its own. I've reached the point where I'm done buying assets (this has nothing to do with this asset, etc. I just need to reign in my spending.) I just can't keep sinking money into them and I bought this with the hope that it'll fill this need. I don't want this just to be an expensive wrapper for other expensive assets. I am sure this is not your ultimate intention but I just wanted to share my thoughts on that.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  30. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Yeah! We just bought it yesterday but we were eager to get our hands on it since some time ago

We understand your concerns. We are game developers too and we have also felt the exasperation of buying assets that do less than promised, exaggerate its features, hide flaws or drop support after some time.

We can tell you that we're not going to make a wrapper to integrate third-party plugins. Game Creator is about getting the job done and quickly. But if, for instance, there's a package that is widely used, like Inventory Pro, there's no point reinventing the wheel and copying what someone has already very well done.

Despite this, we aim to provide a full featured framework to create games. That's why we're creating (we're working on it) a simple inventory system that's going to be shipped for free. Then, we'll create an integration manager to integrate Inventory Pro and other popular packages for those who own them or want to use advanced features.

We know that being an early adopter is risky and we thank all of you who are putting your trust in us. There are dozens of well crafted packages that have been around for years and have had the time to be polished and bug-patched. So people like you that decide to buy Game Creator means a lot to us and we're working very hard to not let you down :)

StevenPicard likes this.
  31. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Purchased this immediately, but Unity freezes on import, at dialog «compiling scripts», so I can not get my hands on it.

I’m on macOS 10.12.4, Unity 5.6.1p1

Any suggestions?

32. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I had that happen, too. It looked like it was importing and then got stuck at the end and froze Unity. After waiting an extended period of time I just killed Unity and reloaded it. When I went back into my project the asset was successfully imported. I was able to check out the demo scenes without problem.

33. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks for answering! We tested the package right now and that seems to be like it. It gets stuck for a while compiling scripts and then everything goes fine.

We moved all the scripts inside the Plugins/ folder so they compile only at startup and don't need to be recompiled every time you make a change in your own code (if you're using custom scripts).

If this continues to be an issue for more people, we'll think about moving the code into a DLL and provide a zip file with the source code (though we prefer to provide the code as it is).

34. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Thank you for quick reply!

I’ve tested to just wait; now it is 15 minutes and Unity is still chewing bits... it might be a good idea that new users do not experience it like this... The dll solution sounds like a good idea!

You guys that made it work, for how long did you wait for Unity to finnish it’s compiling?

35. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

15 minutes is excessive. We might be able to reproduce this if you give us some information. Are you importing Game Creator in a blank project? Does the progress bar stay stuck at "Compiling scripts" or does it change? And lastly, have you tried cancelling and importing again? We've downloaded the package from the Asset Store and had no problem.

36. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Hi!
    I’ve tried both to import into blank project, and make new project with package included. I can not cancel, i get the spinning mouse color wheel, and then if I try to switch to another application and back into unity, the Unity import dialog has changed to «Writing package items...» but mouse wheel is spinning and Unity «does not respond»...

I have a late 2013 retina macbook pro,

37. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Okay, I work with a Macbook Pro 15" from 2016 and it works great, but at the office I have an iMac and it can take quite a lot just to open Unity (I usually avoid working with it for this reason). When importing a package, Unity hangs the main process so it may look it's stuck. This process can take quite a lot depending on the machine, so try importing the package and wait for some hours.

You're on your right to ask for a refund, but I'm sure it's just that compiling the scripts is quite CPU intensive and there are quite a lot of them. Keep us updated with the progress!

38. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

For your inventory module I hope you can include the ability to combine objects to make another object (adventure game style like Monkey Island.) Nothing necessarily in-depth. It'd be great if I could eventually create an adventure game or Zelda style game out of the box with your asset.

Although I'm a developer by trade (20+ years) my time is always so limited for game development so I am always looking for ways of expediting my game making. However, creating my own actions and conditions seems too tempting. It actually seems like it might be a cool idea to create modules to sell (for cheap prices) for your Game Creator. They would just need to be advertised as requiring your asset for them to work.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Brian-Ryer likes this.
  39. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Ok, I’ll give it a try tomorrow and post back here how things work out...

40. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Sure, it might not include an alchemy but simple combination of two or three items shouldn't be hard to do. We'll try to squeeze it in the inventory roadmap.

In fact, we initially wanted to ship Game Creator with only Actions, Events and Triggers and complement it with other free packages like the Character module and the Multi-Camera module. But we later decided that it was too much "bare-bone" and you should be able to create a simple adventure game with the default package.

You are welcome to create Game Creator extensions and sell them. You probably have taken a look, but we have some extensive documentation on creating custom Actions and Conditions ;-)

If you do so, we already have a badge to notify users that the package requires Game Creator. Here's an example of how it would look like. We'll update the documentation with the official badge image, though you are free to design your own if you see fit.

badge-example.png

Happy coding!

StevenPicard likes this.
  41. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Great! We'll keep digging and find a way to speed up the "installation process" so it doesn't break the initial experience.

42. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Ok, Unity have now worked with compiling for over 3 hours, it does not respond, and process monitor report show 100% cpu load for the last tree hours.

And I do not think my 8GB ram late 2013 retina macbook pro is to blame; it works like a charm importing and working with other plugins and big assets.

If this is the experience of more users, I guess you will be quite busy here on the forums in the coming weeks

Is it much work to dll the asset?

Still positive and eager to test Game Creator!

43. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Ok, so I did a little experiment. Just importing one and one folder from the package,
    and step by step I was able to get the whole package imported!

I´ve already thrown in a character controller, and it works!

44. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Johnny!

Sorry for the late response.

First of all, we're glad it worked for you.

We've been investigating how to create a DLL in unity (which it's pretty straight forward) and how to integrate it in our build pipeline (not that easy). It may take a little while for us to update the package with DLLs.

Despite this, since you said that importing sub-package by sub-package (the folders Core, Camera, Character, ... were initially meant to be separate packages) worked out for you, we might be able to add these modules to the Integration manager (which is a way to enable/disable third party packages. This should be much faster and work seamlessly with our pipeline.

We really hope you enjoy Game Creator! Don't hesitate to as us further questions

45. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello iam very interested into yout asset. What is the current lifespan you think that will you support the asset? I have visual programming tools are outdated and author stop supporting them after 6-8 months. Only playmaker is constantly evolved. I tried and used playmaker but I think the memory footprint is too much. Is Game Creator working more effecient regarding cpu idle co-routines and memory footprint?

46. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi Devision4;

We can say that we plan on supporting Game Creator for as long as we can (we have the company centered in this project and we want it to be our main source of income). We're planning on creating more modules around it so that at the end you have a store of modules and pick only the ones you need to create your game.

But of course, these are just plain words. To back up our statement, let us tell you a little bit about us.

We started developing games in 2014 (though we had been using Unity for side projects since version 2.6). We created a couple of mobile games that didn't go well. Despite the coding and artistic team were versed, we lacked experience in game design, which is the third fundamental beam in game development.

We reviewed what we did right and what we did wrong, and we noticed that we spent more time creating tools to quickly develop the games that actually making the games.

Game Creator was originally intended to be a tool for creating an adventure game like Monkey Island but we decided to pivot and make the tools our project. So, six months ago we started refactoring and re-coding parts of the project. And so Game Creator was born.

Depending on what you mean by optimized. We haven't had the chance to extensively test Playmaker against the Unity Profiler, but as a popular asset, it should be as optimized as it can be.

We use generic Coroutines for Actions, probably the same way Playmaker does. We, don't do extra operations, if an element must be searched, we use Dictionaries/custom ternary-trees to store the data so it can be easily accessed and we cache every component that needs to be read more than once. Components that are common between scenes are controlled by a Singleton controller (sorry for those who hate this pattern) and is shared and never destroyed when switching between scenes.

There's a very interesting video from the makers of Inside (Playdead) which explain simple tricks to improve the game performance (see link), and we always try to use them as long as they don't interfere or conflict with the framework structure.

TL;DR

We're proud of Game Creator and works on any device. Despite this, it's not a tool that follows the zero-garbage policy and coroutines are the ones managed by Unity, not a custom implementation. We're more focused on maintainability than scrapping a quarter of a millisecond per render frame.

Shodan0101 and pushingpandas like this.
  47. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thanks. I will purchase your asset and support it.

Catsoft-Studios likes this.
  48. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Hi!
    I guess you should just inform new users about importing sub packages, I think we can live without DLLs then....

49. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Thanks for the heads up. We'll create a Troubleshoot section in the website/forum page. This is going to be a as temporary as possible and we'll be moving forward with the solution we proposed two posts above. If someone has faced a similar problem and found a better solution, we'll be happy to discuss it.

50. Catsoft-Studios

Catsoft-Studios

Hi everyone! Just a quick heads up, we've released a new compatibility version with Unity 2017.1. The Inventory module is on its way (and even though we wanted to make a simple one, it's turning into a quite powerful tool).

More information and screenshots soon!

Brian-Ryer, StevenPicard and JoMaHo like this.