Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Game competition

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by David-Helgason, Jun 16, 2006.

1. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Hi people,

In collaboration with Danish National Broadcasting (DR), we're doing a game competion over the summer, with a deadline on Septermber 4th.

Although the competition is focused on Denmark, there's nothing holding Unity users anywhere back from participating. There is a cash prize (almost $10K), but most of it has to go towards further development of the project after the competition ends. And the five best games will be featured on DR's home-page and displayed at Nordic Game Potential, our little Nordic version of Game Developers Conference.

Here's the English version of the flyer. Tell us if you're signing up, so we can be proud of you.

d.

Attached Files:

2. greenland

greenland

I have just the thing... Deadlines are excellent motivators. :D

3. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

So, people outsaide from Europe are able to participate?
    If yes,Great!!!!

4. marty

marty

Now if Joe, et al, can just get those drag-and-drop multiuser prefabs we keep hearing about ready ...

5. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Anyone.

d.

6. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

What douse it mean by coperative multiplayer game? I mean its suposed to run in a browser so I'm asuming thats not got anything to do with networking, and I have never see split screen online. Though thats not to say it isn't a snap. Jeff

7. Morgan

Morgan

Browser games can still be multiplayer--like all the games on Yahoo.

Sounds like a neat contest! The whole serious games concept is great.

8. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

One more point: I just talked to Christina who's arranging the competition on Danish National Broadcasting's side. According to her 1/3 of the prize can be paid to the developer(s). So that's a ~$3K USD prize rigth there. The rest can be used to make a commercial product of the game: not a lot, but with Unity it'll takey you pretty far ;)

d.

9. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Sounds challenging.

10. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

There is any english page to look at? Rules, how to be submited, ect..?

Thank you in advance

11. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Not yet... I think they're behind on the whole planning-execution thing. The basic rules are one the flyer, and I don't think there'll be any hassly.

I heard about a hosting server where you can store your stuff while developing... probably there'll be some way to submit using that. Basically you want to write to the email address given on the flyer to find out that stuff.... Christina is a great girl, excited about games and very helpful.

Basically OTEE doesn't have anythign to do with these details.

d.

12. Samantha

Samantha

Are there english language versions of http://www.dr.dk/Spilkonkurrence/ or http://www.diginet.org that we can read-over? I'm curious to know more about the sponsors and/or how this contest came about.

Sounds interesting though, if I can convince myself that I have time then I'll probably enter :)

13. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Remind me to tell you when I've got time. Now, release of Unity 1.5.

T-90 minutes, maximum.... God willing.

d.

14. Samantha

Samantha

YOU CAN DO IIIT!

15. anachreon

anachreon

Waitaminit, unless I missed something in the update, where's the multiplayer stuff?!

I can't see where 'browser based' effectively becomes multiplayer anyhow. The stats are kept in the browser, unless it's trying to say that 'many people can play it, though not co-operatively'.
    Unless of course, they're all sitting in the same room, shouting at each other.
    You're not talking about httpRequest are you? Haven't delved into the web player, so I'm not that up on it's browser integration. Is there a way to trigger this, like a 'players position' update via a background timer?

Cheers,

Luis.

16. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Why of course you can. Do your networking via the WWW interface. It's not hard realtime, but can be pretty smooth and will allow for many types of gameplay.

d.

17. anachreon

anachreon

Is this the C sharp part of the equation?
    If not then I better go rummage inside 1.5...

Cheers,

Luis.

18. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

19. anachreon

anachreon

Oh _that_ one... Minimal 'multiplayer interaction' though, unless you're heavy into server side scripting.

Cheers,

Luis.

20. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Bump.

Christina who arranges the competition just asked me if any Unity users would participate. They only have five (sic) participants at the moment, so anyone who puts a little work should have a great shot at it.

Danish National Broadcasting provides a cash prize + and we a Unity Pro licence. Plus the game will be showcased at Nordic Game in the autumn, the Scandinvian game conference.

Consider taking part! Send me a mail in that case, david@otee.dk, and I'll coordinate with Christina.

d.

Edit: The cash prize is almost $10K! 1/3 for your pocket, 2/3 for further work on your game. This is a great opportunity to start a small studio!

21. klindeman

klindeman

I would if I had time, and some actual experience in network programming. I should take a look at my Unix Network Programming book one of these days :p

22. Samantha

Samantha

I'm also just too busy. I've got a great idea that is achievable, and I would LOVE to start a new studio with this opportunity, but the deadline is just too close for me. I'm 100% dedicated to another project until the end of August, which leaves very few hours to complete an entry.

Will this contest be held again in the future? If so, I can start planning for that one now :D

23. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Hard to say. If this is a success, very possibly.

I'd say: it's 10,000 USD, go for it now!

d.