Search Unity

Game by artist

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by joacoerazo_legacy, Apr 7, 2006.

1. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

It is too difficult to make a racing web game without programing skills on unity?

I use Maya as the art tool and the sound is no problem.

Thank you in advance

2. hsparra

hsparra

Probably not if you can't do any programming. If you don't want to program I suggest you team up with someone. There are plenty that can program but have not art skills. With a little tweaking, you could probably use what is already out there, depends on how fancy you want the play.

If you can learn some basic programming, then yes. By basic I mean just able to take an existing script, there are many that come with Unity in the examples, and play with it to get the behaviour you need. It all depends one how refined you want your racing game. Also, you will find the people in this community super helpful and willing to help. It is one of the greatest aspects of Unity.

I don't see how you can make any game of some complexity without programming, which is just the use of logic. Just like I don't see how you can make a decent game without some artistic skill. What I like about games is that they pull on some many different fields, not just programming and art either. There are probably a few truely gifted people that can do it all, but even they team with someone else for complex projects.

Oops, I am rambling again :oops:

3. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Without programming skills your aren't going to get very far; you will fairly quickly hit a glass-ceiling. Although learning just a little rather simple programming skills (as you go) will take you farther. But don't expect to make something like Grand Turismo without doing some heavy coding.

4. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I haven't touched a line of code yet. And sure I haven't made a single game yet eather, but I have/am involved in a lot of fun projects that other guys around here are doing. A lot of them are in pretty serous need of good graphics, so if you willing to just settle in for now helping others, then I'm sure you could get them to program for your game after doing art for theres.

Also as you do more and more art for games you start to learn a lot about how games work, so learning to program will be easyer if I ever decide to take it up. And Unity is still worth getting because you can test your graphics, play with particles and use the scripts/ ask for scripts from others and just have a real fun time. Also I have friends interested in programming games here were I live so I can just team up with them in the future and we can make games on my comp ;) good luck in everything. Jeff

5. hsparra

hsparra

Amen, brother!

6. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Thank you to all,

So I looking for help since now, programing help, I will post the info on the collaboration forum (These weekend) to follow the rules.

Thank you again!!!

7. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy