Search Unity

[Game] AXE/LYNX Dark Temptation Body Spray

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by maulongoni, Apr 8, 2008.

1. maulongoni

maulongoni

Hi everyone, Aquiris Game Experience Team are proud to announce our new Unity3D based web game. It's for the promotion of the new(new here in Brasil) Axe(Lynx at europe) Dark Temptation Body Spray.

You can see at http://www.axe.com.br/dark

The game is in portuguease, but is easy to getin the game. A tip "Jogar Agora" means "Play Now"

You control a Chocolate man.

It's a game based on GTA game controls, with a logic of deviate from the girls that are trying to catch some parts of you, at the end you gain the best prize, a gym fully of hot girls.. you can see the girls that are participating on http://www.axe.com.br/playboy
    One of them will make photos for playboy.

Made in 40 Days, team:

- 3 3d artists
    - 3 Programmers
    - 1 Game Director

Take a look, the opinions of all of you are important to us.

Thanks.

Aquiris | Game Experience
    +55 51 3026.35.56

Mauricio Longoni - Development Director
    mauricio@aquiris.com.br

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Obrigado! But... I never actually got to play it. :( I clicked your link, pressed the 'play now' button and then it went to a loading screen where I sat for quite a while before closing the window and returning here to reply.

Thoughts?

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Same thing happened here...

4. maulongoni

maulongoni

Strange, here it works normally. I sent it to David, and he played normally too. try again plz guys.

The version was updated today, maybe you tried at update time. =]

5. cherub

cherub

i couldnt sit through the loading then the buffering then the more buffering.

what i did see looked like whatever i was waiting for might be cool.

~C

6. maulongoni

maulongoni

To big loading? strange, it goes good here, 2mb connection. Guys, another tip.. you can click on "PULAR" red button to jump introduction video.

Game is with 9,4 Mb, all game menus are made inside, it have more than 25 woman models and everyone have a pack of 5 textures. Environment are very detailed.. so.. it is a bit big on file size.

=]

7. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I've been waiting five minutes, it has done the "BUFFERING" thing twice, and just got to "Loading Game"... 67%.

So far, everything has been very beautiful, but it is a very painful experience. I know it isn't contributing anything new to say that, but this looks too cool to not have optimized enough to be playable!

8. aaron-parr

aaron-parr

Muinto bem!

Would be even better with Lenine performing the soundtrack.

I speak very little Portuguese but my wife and mother in law enjoyed this game very much - both from Minas Gerais.

9. maulongoni

maulongoni

Thanks.

The marketing company doesnt got the authorization for using soundtrack.. it hapened in the last minutes befor launch.. The track was in the game.. and belive.. it was a lot better with it.

=]

10. tim

tim

I got to play. The camera is very shaky when not walking straight "up".
    The game looks nice, though I can't say that I understand what I was trying to do other than avoid the women.

11. sbuchbinder

sbuchbinder

Very cool!!

An Excellent advergame example.

The only thing I could think of to better the game would be to promote the brand more within the game world. Other than that...Awesome Job!

12. Jessy

Jessy

SCARY!!!!!

Very nice environment. It felt like a Tony Hawk game.

I got eaten at the end, though, because I got cornered into invisible walls where I thought I could escape. Might be good to put some more junk in the way to let people know where you can't go.

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Second try it loaded much faster. Excellent environmental graphics. I'm not sure what the games objective is or how to accumulate points but I did like being chased by pretty women (oops! my wife heard that!)... ;)

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Hah, today it loaded for me (although a little on the slow side). That's definitely a great advergame, nice work!

15. maulongoni

maulongoni

Thanks Guys.

Maybe can occur some bugs, it was produced too fast, without too much time to test.

16. nickavv

nickavv

It appeared to be working today, but when the loading of the actual game got to 100% my system Kernal Panic'd! D:

iMac, Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 1 GB Ram, Older white model.

17. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Moldorma: did you happen to log a bug from that machine? If not then dare I ask you to try again (and log a bug if it happens again)?

18. nickavv

nickavv

Mm, I will try it again in a little bit. Of course it isn't fair to blame said Kernel Panic directly on that game.

19. dock

dock

This is taking forever to buffer on the super fast internet connection we have at work. o_o How big IS this game exactly?

(this has made me very conscious of not making my own game too big to DL, actually).

20. Jessy

Jessy

The behavior is inconsistent. I don't think it's going to work for you this time. Try reloading. The buffering will take only a couple seconds if it's going work at all, from my experience trying it about a half dozen times.

The same kind of thing happened with that Puca downhill racing game, on the Disney site.

21. dock

dock

It did eventually load actually, and the progress was slowly proceeding, it was just a massive download time.

22. Jessy

Jessy

What exactly is your download bandwidth? I had the game working in under a minute on my home connection of ~15 mbps.

At work, with about 1/3 of that dl bandwidth, it worked in under 2 minutes on my machine, but it totally froze up on the buffering section on a co-worker's machine. These events were simultaneous, so I doubt it has to do with any server's uploading potential.

23. defmech

defmech

The first time I got the game to work it took close to half an hour for it to load completely. I've got a similar connection to yours and everything else works fine. I just assumed that it was a very new release and the server wasn't able to keep up with demand.

24. dock

dock

Yeah, similar download time here. I'm in the UK, if it makes any difference. I just downloaded a 300MB file from a USA server, and got 600KB/second, so even if it was 100MB it should have taken less than three minutes.

Jessy - clearly something is wrong if you got it working so quickly. How strange.

25. Jessy

Jessy

Having a game start quickly sounds more like "right" than "wrong" to me (or maybe you meant something is wrong on your end?)...the best time I got so far was in fact the first time I tried it (the under a minute figure). Now, at work again, It's already been 5 minutes without beginning, with 6mbps DL and UL. That's at about 60% on the screen where the guy stands in front of the mirror. Lars Kroll has a nice little way of summing this up in a presentation: The Internet Sucks.

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/unite-presentations/developing-multiplayer-games

26. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Painfully slow to download, I'm afraid :( ... I've been sitting here for over 20 minutes on a half meg connection and it's still 'buffering' with the guy in-front of the mirror.

If it ever downloads, I'll post up again ... I'm off to grab a cup of tea :)

27. 64746c

64746c

It looks nice... but I'm on a 100 kbps connection. Needless to say, it's taking a while.

28. maulongoni

maulongoni

The game have exactly 9,4 Mb.

Hey guys, sorry this priblem, the bandwidth for the site are not doing it's work.. it appears not too big, unhappy i dont control this, the marketing company do.

The Server is in Brasil, and yes, be in UK make some difference, in addition too, the bandwidth was not planned to support the actual success of the game. Depending on time of the day you try, it goes very fast here in a 2mb connection, less than 2 minutes.

I will send the suggestion about increasing bandwidth.
    Thanks for all replies.

29. polytropoi

polytropoi

Bravo! Very well done. Nice concept, too, very funny. But I want to be able spray chocolate on unsuspecting bystanders, so the zombie chicks can eat them instead.

I was going to say I like how you integrated Flash and Unity, but perhaps the perceived load time could be reduced if the intro and preview screens were Unity instead of flash, so the big files could be preloading immediately when the page loads.

I wonder if there's way to preload a Unity scene before you visibly launch the Unity player...hrm...maybe in a hidden iframe?

30. maulongoni

maulongoni

It's using hiden iFrame. I cant say if the web company that did the site made it starts loading as soon as you enter the website, it is a good ideaq, i will send the suggestion.

31. dock

dock

I tried the game on my crappy home internet connection, and it loaded pretty quickly (6 mins or so). 10mb seems pretty reasonable for this sort of game, and I was probably expecting to make my game idea larger than that.

Nice game implementation, btw. The camera control is very effective given that it is just using the dpad. I didn't like the invisible walls though - some fence barriers would have been enough to make me avoid going that way.

32. defmech

defmech

Yeah, that bugged me, too. I lost an arm or two because of it. I remember that at least in one of those cases, it really looked like a viable route, whereas some of the others are more obviously not.

33. nickavv

nickavv

Ah, finally got to play without problems. :) Awesome game! I could only win once, and the swingset always got at least one body part taken out.

34. crockett

crockett

It didn't load for me yesterday, but today it worked fine. Kind of a funny game concept and I think it looks good. I just couldn't figure out what the objective was other than to run away. Very nice job on it though and I liked the background music.

35. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Woot! It loaded pretty quickly today and I actually got to play it :)

Excellent work! Took me a few goes to get to the end.

It's great to see Unity being used for promotions like this and I think you guys did a stella job!

36. Proto

Proto

Tested on a Dual 2.5Ghz G5 Mac, 2Gb Ram, 512 ADSL2 connection, OSX 10.411, Safari 3.1

1. Very slow to load - I'm guessing very poor host performance as my connection is good;

2. Boring to watch it load (I had to make two attempts, 80% load took 9 minutes!). Are you tracking stats for visitors exiting at the loading screen? Is this generating more traffic than anticipated? Mirrors might help alleviate the bottleneck;

3. Intro movie is spoilt by buffering (movie stops after 5 seconds to load more);

4. I'm guessing from the Spanish-only text that your client isn't capitalizing on the international audience - that seems a shame as the site has international appeal (albeit with different product names). Minimal localization would provide a more satisfying experience to your international audience who are bound to be using the site despite the lack of English UI;

5. Awesome looking game. In-game controls were easy and I figured out the gameplay without having to read anything - that's just as well as sadly I didn't understand the text-only buttons. Some of the women detected me whilst standing well behind them and I gather from that their visual indicators don't match their detection range exactly - or perhaps I'm just *that* sexy they smell my deodorant from a greater distance ;-)

6. Good framerate. The environment is awesome, as is the main character whose chocolate form is well suited to low-poly. I loved the strutting walk - hilarity!

37. maulongoni

maulongoni

Hey guys, thanks all.

About the international audience, after the success of the game, the marketing company is wondering about English and Spanish versios, because international AXE are interested on the game. So, probaly when it happens the bandwidth will increase and game will be on some international servers. I cant say anything about today's bandwidth, it's not under my control.

About invisible blocks, a fence could help, you're right. But like i said, we did this game in a very short deadline, we took a month. Obviously some details passed trough our eyes. But i think it dont pull down the entire game. Thanks, we will try put them in some update. =]

You're right, the womans can see in her's back, and you dont see the colored range, it is used to simulate some kind of audio perception or so. =]