Search Unity

Galuxy S support ?

Discussion in 'Android' started by hsc65, Oct 2, 2010.

1. hsc65

hsc65

I am developing a game on Galaxy S. Now a days, I am prototyping the game. It runs well on HTC nexus.
    But the prototype goes down very frequently on Galaxy S. Will you support the Galaxy S ?

2. jnakai

jnakai

We've been having similar troubles with the Galaxy S. I can usually load our menu level, but once we try to load into a game level it will just exit out.

3. Claytonious

Claytonious

The Unity folks are aware of some serious problems on Samsung Galaxy devices and they are working on a fix for it.

4. Wozik

Wozik

Yes, we have two developers working almost exclusively on the Samsung Galaxy S crashes. Please stay in touch, we'll release a build with a fix over the Android beta lists when we have it. We'll also announce the fix on this forum.

Anyone eager to participate in Android beta, please mail me at oleg@unity3d.com
    Only Android license owners are allowed at this point.

5. Wozik

Wozik

While I don't have the device nearby to check it out myself, but if
    there are some curious minds eager to try the new official Samsung 2.2
    firmware out:

http://briefmobile.com/galaxy-s-updated-to-android-2-2

Android 2.2 JIT compiler
    Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility
    New Android Market with auto-updating
    Speed improvements

Please share your experience ;-) The new firmware should fix the crashes

6. Wozik

Wozik

so far I managed to test the official 2.2 firmware:
    Freekick madness - does not crash
    Zombie Defence - does not crash
    castle warriors - does not crash

7. akasurreal

akasurreal

Thanks, but will Unity ever work with 2.1 on Galaxy S or will we have to require 2.2?

8. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

Hi does this crash impact all versions of Galaxy S phones or does it impact only certain carriers? I noticed many people are updating Captivate to Android 2.2 with root. Just thinking of picking up more Android phones to do testing with.

Does it mean that phones prior to 2.2 may not have multi touch? I understand that some models don't support mult touch period.

Sorry I very new to Android and I'm a Unity iOS Pro, and Android Pro user. Thanks.

9. Claytonious

Claytonious

Yes, this crash impacts all versions of Galaxy S phones. If the 2.2 update proves to be a solid fix, then you might want to consider requiring 2.2 or higher when you publish your app to the market. There are a LOT of these devices out there, and they will all give you angry 1-star reviews when your game crashes on them because they haven't updated to 2.2.

10. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

We can only hope Samsung starts doing OTA updates soon, instead of relying on Kies...

11. spacefrog

spacefrog

fully agree here ... finally got my Samsung ADB driver NOT to fail on install after trying for a whole good day. Kies - the most horribly bloated and badly programmed Software i ever came across - still does'nt find my Galaxy -> MTP driver constantly keeps failing ....

This is one of the rare cases i really can say that Apple does a good job in that regard ....

By the way - reason the ADB Drivers failed on install, was something in my Windows media player 11 install. I do not use this thing but had it installed. After i re-installed WMP11 , the ADB driver finally started to work...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  12. Claytonious

Claytonious

Updating to 2.2 via Kies for us U.S. users supposedly hoses up your phone (such as removing Android Market, among other problems), but I haven't tried it myself out of fear. Has anyone in the US tried it yet?

13. akasurreal

akasurreal

Does that mean that Unity is officially not working on this problem anymore and just relying on 2.2 as the fix for this issue?

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

its a problem with Samsung F***ing up the memory - paging handling on Android among other things. Samsung themself rely on 2.2 to fix it, they didn't dedicate any time to fix it on 2.1 at all actually.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  15. Wozik

Wozik

As Mantas replied over the beta list:

16. erica.sampson

erica.sampson

So if this is simply a problem with Samsung 2.1, are other games and applications not created with unity crashing as well? I don't personally have this phone (so if someone could chime in with personal experience feel free) but a friend of mine does and the only app she has problems with is our unity built app.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Android users are pretty used to the unpredictable app experience by now but generally blame the apps. It's for this reason I am holding off the android port till last, hopefully in about a year most people will be 2.2 and it will finally be a device that works better. Google's fault :)

18. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Yes, afaik both Skype and Mozilla suffers from this problem as well (on GalaxyS/Vibrant running 2.1).

19. ojuzu

ojuzu

I have a Galaxy S phone (Vibrant) running 2.1 and I don't have any crashing issues with non-Unity games for the most part. Of course there's the odd crash here and there but games like Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Dungeon Hunter all work extremely solidly. So while something is obviously jacked in Samsung's 2.1 kernel it's not something that applies universally to all Android games.

The good news is that 2.2 should be getting rolled out soon.

20. Dreamora

Dreamora

Lets hope they can resolve the stuff soon. Galaxy Tab is on 2.2 already so it shouldn't be that hard as it is just a 7" Galaxy S (given we talk about the real galaxy s here, not the US spinoffs which have custom roms and will just wait another 2 months thanks to it)

Its sad that something that technically could have crushed anything got crushed by major issues that are kind of laughable as they were not android issues but custom kernel F***ups from Samsung (missuse of flash as "paging ram" -> speedfix and the still not working acceptable gps incapabilities)

21. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

I had bought a Samsung Captivate which was running 2.1. I had no issues running my game. I also later updated to Froyo leak. No issues thus far. I was able to rebuild my game and push with no issues. I then updated file system to ext2 with no issues. I'm going to start pushing the graphics a bit more once the game gets more complete. Still in very early stages of development.

22. PolyMad

PolyMad

Is it 3D or 2D and how many polys on screen?

23. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

It's a 3d shooter using a top view camera to look 2d. How can I get the number of polygons to show up on my phone? I'll crank up the number until it crashes or gets too slow to run.

24. PolyMad

PolyMad

Well I think you can just enable stats view when playing it on your Unity editor :D

25. polyphobia3d

polyphobia3d

I just compiled the iphone app penelope for my galaxyS and it runs just fine, i also tested a round a little bit with my own files and just slapped some random game models and environments into a new project, with OpenGL ES 2.x it runs super smooth on my galaxyS, i had a 10k character with 1 1024x1024 texturesheet for the body and a 1024x512 sheet for the head and environment with over 160k tris, its totally over the top for a mobile app, i just wanted to test the limits.

The framerate dropped to something below 10 when using OpenGL ES 1.x though.

I have no background at coding or unity whatsoever, i just started the engine and played around, tested what i can do without getting too deep into anything and well, so far it all runs.

On Android 2.2 that is, didn't test on 2.1

26. n0mad

n0mad

Galaxy S on 2.1 latest update here, and game will randomly crash at launch, or at scene Play. Sometimes it works, though.

The same build works perfectly on my Nexus One.

27. Wozik

Wozik

yes, Samsung fixed the issue in update with OS 2.2

28. n0mad

n0mad

That's right, just received 2.2 tonight, no more crashes :)

29. Tomo-Games

Tomo-Games

Ok I upgraded Unity from 3.0 to 3.1 and my Galaxy S crashed. The whole phone locked up. Almost looked like my game burned an image into the screen while it froze. :) It hadn't crashed before this. Note I had run my game for a little over 16 minutes.

The enemies that get killed actually just reset to different screen positions to save on memory. I think there is leak somewhere though.

30. mikkelet

mikkelet

I was wondering if we could have a little edit on the first post with a current status report - does unity work on galaxy s or not? The status report may be depending on whether I get the Galaxy S or Desire HD. :)

~ Mikkelet

31. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Samsung Galaxy S (or its derivates Vibrant/Captivate) w/ OS 2.1 - No.
    Samsung Galaxy S w/ OS 2.2 - Yes.

The 2.2 (Froyo) firmware update for SGS et al fixes the issue (being a kernel firmware bug). Unfortunately Samsung has been quite slow at rolling out those updates: afaik it's still only available through Kies (Windows-based device-'portal' program similar to iTunes), and still only in a subset of the regions worldwide (last I checked Korea and the nordic countries were on 2.2 list, but that has probably increased by now). There are also a few different versions of the 2.2 firmware floating around on forums like xda-developers/, but those require hacking (Odin software) to flash the device.
    So, for development purposes you should be able to use the SGS if you make sure you can upgrade it to 2.2 (or if it comes with 2.2 already flashed).

32. mikkelet

mikkelet

Thank you, and how abot after the 3.1 unity? :)

33. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

So far this is a firmware bug without workaround on application software level (without massive speed loss). Meaning, the bug is not in the Unity code, and we have currently no (good) way of 'fixing' it.

34. NODO-GT

NODO-GT

hi
    my i have updated my galaxy s with 2.2.1 JPX rom, and my unity game that uses accelerometer doesn't work. i mean it runs but i can't turn using accelerometer. how can i fix this? on previous rom it was working.
    I also updated SDK, then i had problem with unity that couldn't find ADB but i just copied it to tools folder from platform-tools. then it worked.

so how can i fix accelerometer?

35. NODO-GT

NODO-GT

alright i fixed accelerometer problem. nothing to do with firmware.

but there is still problem with my phone updated and unity. Unity doesn't detect my galaxy when it's in debugging mode.
    how can i fix this?

36. scinfu

scinfu

I want to buy a Samsung Galaxy s, the problem between galaxy s and Unity is resolved o not? or should I buy a HTC Desire?

Thank you

37. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

You need the Galaxy S to run OS 2.2 (Froyo); whether or not 2.2 is available depends on where you live (or how interested you are in hacking your phone). If the Galaxy S comes with 2.2, or a 2.2 flash is available in your region, then Unity should work fine.

38. scinfu

scinfu

i live in italy ...

ok thank you