Search Unity

Galaxy S8 crash

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Mephesto_Khaan, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Mephesto_Khaan

Mephesto_Khaan

Hi all,

I dont have an S8+ but many players have reported that my Daydream game is crashing for them on their device almost at the start. It has been working flawleslhy in all the other devices for months so I was wondering if someone else here is having a similar problem.

2. mscheer700

mscheer700

Hello Mephesto, I am one of the "reporters" of your game crashing...:)

Another problematic app with the Galaxy s8 seems to be "Ocean Rift".

The screen is flickering like mad when I start the app.

Could anyone please confirm to have the same issue? Or is the display/gpu of my phone broken?

3. Mephesto_Khaan

Mephesto_Khaan

Haha, it is a small world :)

I dont think this is an isolated issue because I know some other developers going through the same struggle at the moment, games that have been running fine for months now working on S8.

I will do a build today updating everything to the latest (Unity 5.6.x not 2017 and the utilities) and see if that helps

4. overfile

overfile

Hi

I have the same issue, can you solve the crash? I have updated with new SDK but the result is the same.

Could you report any log to compare?

5. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

If we can get the Play store app(s) that is/are crashing and hopefully logcat output or adb bug report as well?

6. ThatDarnCat

ThatDarnCat

Unity Technologies

We've been observing this issue internally as well in the past couple days. We suspect it has been caused by the latest Google VR Services update.

7. overfile

overfile

Hi,

I add the logcat error with my build on daydream store on Samsung S8 device.

Now I'm going to rebuild the project with Unity 5.6.3 and the last Google vr SDK.

I hope fix this issue, when i finish i will publish the result.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. Arkade

Arkade

Hi, are the symptoms as follows:
    A Unity Google VR app that worked on other devices (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge) crashing on Samsung Galaxy S8?

I've just started seeing the problem myself after having bought an S8 as my intended mobile VR development device of choice. I still have the S7 where the same binary seems fine. My game starts with a non-VR display and this works fine on both. When I enable VR, it crashes with a signal 9 (SIGSEGV from my previous life in Linux).

Built with Unity 5.6.2 using Google VR 1.7.0. I'm using single-pass stereo on GLES3. Multi-pass also fails. Textures use ASTC.

My log looks nothing like that from @overfile. It always ends:
    (full attached)

Oddly it worked fine on S8 to start with. I noticed I was having difficulty focusing and realized I hadn't configured it for my cardboard (i.e. no headset configuration). I used the QR code I've used previously for my v1.1 cardboard and stupidly also decided to try full resolution (the S8 and S7 nowadays default to lower res until the user enables "High performance mode" which switches it to WQHD+. In my defence, I was actually trying the default cardboard apps which worked with both.) After that, it fails as soon as I start a level with VR mode. I've turned off high res and tried to other headset configurations but frustratingly, I can't get it to return to a 'working' state now. I also tried starting default Cardboard demo app (still works), hit the gear icon and switched "Headset" to all of "Daydream View", "Google Cardboard (I/O 2015)" and "Google Cardboard". After none of those fixed the problem, it /looks/ like it reset the viewer configuration to "default" but alas it still crashes.

"Magic Window Mode" works fine. This involves calling VRSettings.LoadDeviceByName("cardboard") but not setting VRSettings.enabled (i.e. leave it false). Implication is it's something screen related.

HTH

Attached Files:

9. Arkade

Arkade

Ahha, got it working again! (and confirmed problem is "Google VR Services" update.)

Per suggestion from @ThatDarnCat I removed relevant bits from Play Store (removed all Daydream and Cardboard stuff -- "Google VR Services" 1.8.163477258, 28 July 2017 update removed left previous version there : 1.6.157511470).

Problem remained. Rebooted device. Problem gone.
    Log taken: s8-01-GOOD-all-removed-rebooted.txt

Tried reinstalling "Google VR Services". Retried game. Fine!
    Log taken: s8-02-GOOD-services-updated-NOT-REBOOTED.txt

Rebooted. Retried game. Crash.
    Log taken: s8-03-BAD-services-updated-and-REBOOTED.txt

HTH

EDIT: Corrected version number quoted.

p.s. when the problem happened, it also (really confusingly) always resets the phone's wallpapers (lock screen and wallpaper) !? Odd.

Attached Files:

10. charles62769

charles62769

This might be off topic but I wanted to use daydream for my samsung s8 but found out that I need an update that I cant get from my service At&T. Can I still run any daydream apps

11. Arkade

Arkade

Hi, I'm saddened / embarrassed to say my workaround seems to have stopped working for me. Meaning despite having removed the "Google VR Services" update and rebooted, my game is crashing with signal 9 on the S8. Oddly even old builds now fail (the one that I used to produce those logs showing success)!?
    This is really crippling for my development !

Is there a bug we can vote on or anything for this?

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

@joejo @ThatDarnCat

Hi, I've had reports of this issue from clients after updating their S8. Is there an update on how to resolve the issue or a link for issue tracker so I can monitor progress?

Arkade likes this.
  13. Arkade

Arkade

Tried for minimal reproduction:
    Minimal New Unity project, Cube and Plane, enable VR with Cardboard as only device, Fiddled with settings a little.

5.6.2 and 2017.01 exhibit the problem.
    2017.02b6 showed the problem however I then tried installing the "Google VR Services" back again and it ... mostly works. To my eye, there's an odd flickering. I'm still investigating that.
    Retried 2017.01 build with GVR Services installed. Still fails. Noticed we now have 5.6.3. Downloaded, tested. Fails both with and without GVR Services installed.

Here's a spreadsheet of my investigations so far. Two right hand result columns are for (left) when it was working after removing GVR Services + rebooting and (right) when that ceased making any difference. I still can't reproduce that working but I do have the logs from all these runs and there's no doubt it /did/ work. Perhaps there's a clue there somewhere.

I'm now trying upgrading my game to 2017.02b6 to see what happens (after backing-up first, of course!)

14. stylerHU

stylerHU

I ported my Oculus Gear VR game to carboard 2 days ago. Google VR SDK version is 1.70, Unity is 5.6.0.f3.

I have the same problem. CRASH. Anybody knows a working solution? I have Galaxy S8+ too The game crash all the time on start...

I downloaded for example "House of Terror" VR carboard game from the market( which is basically made with unity ) but it crash as well.

Pn-io and Arkade like this.
  15. stylerHU

stylerHU

I have figured it out that the root of the problem is the "Google VR Services". If I set it back to factory version, the VR games are running without any crash. After an update of Google VR services, they crash.

. Google VR SDK version is 1.70, Unity is 5.6.0.f3.

Arkade likes this.
  16. stylerHU

stylerHU

Have you tried it with 2017.02b6? Without the Google VR Service reset?

17. Arkade

Arkade

yes -- that's the penultimate row. Crashed.
    (assuming you meant my minimal testcase. Haven't finished updating actual project for 2017.02b6 yet.

18. snhwang

snhwang

I was able to get my programs to run by disabling Google VR Services in the Apps Manager in settings

19. jules_fpvr

jules_fpvr

I have a range of Cardboard apps which just started crashing on the S8 and can configrm that disabling Google VR Services (which switches back to factory version) gets things working again. Probably need to report this one to Google.

20. jules_fpvr

jules_fpvr

I have reported this problem on the Google VR Git page here:

https://github.com/googlevr/gvr-unity-sdk/issues/695

In case anyone would like to add comments/detail or confirm replication. I'm guessing the more people who confirm an interest the more likely the VR team at Google are to pay attention.

Not sure if it's also worth reporting this to Unity, highly unlikely to be a Unity bug but they presumably have a good relationship with the relevant team.

Jules

21. jeffries7

jeffries7

I've come across this issue, everything ran fine on the Pixel family, however the S8 was a constant black screen despite the game running in the background.

Switching from single to multi pass rendering has fixed this. However, I'm going to continue testing to see if there are any other factors causing it.

22. SiliconDroid

SiliconDroid

People experiencing their unity built VR apps crashing on S8:

Do you also see the phone crashing with many other VR apps you download and install from GooglePlay store?

23. dustinkerstein

dustinkerstein

I've also been getting reports from S8 users about this issue as it related to the FHD resolution.

24. artjuntt

artjuntt

I have Samsung galaxy S8+ and i found out that if you are using performance mode as high performance, some vr games grashes like House of fear.

When i changed performance mode to Optimized (recommended) i can use highest resolution from my phone WQHD+ 2960x1440 and these games that grashed in high performance mode works now normally.

Go to the Device Maintenance section in Settings, tap the button for Performance Mode, and select Optimized (recommended) Mode from the available options.

jmitcheson likes this.
  25. namo2

namo2

Any updates on that issue?

26. Pn-io

Pn-io

@stylerHU
    Hi,
    you mentioned that when you ported your gear VR project into cardboard it starts crashing in galaxy s8 devices.
    I am also having the same issue but my app is crashing in gear VR on the s8 device but works fine in s6. Sometimes it shows a full black screen instead of crashing. while cardboard version of the same app is running smoothly on both the devices. Can you suggest me any workaround? and can you tell me your project configuration, SDK version and all?

Thanks
    PN

nitinDhami likes this.
  27. nitinDhami

nitinDhami

Hi I have made a simple 2d application and I am experiencing this issue on s8 plus can anyone tell me a workaround for this? my unity version is 5.6.2