Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Gaia

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Radu392, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Radu392

Radu392

Just posted a Kickstarter campaign for the game, check it out here!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/radusaghin/gaia-3

Hey guys, I've been working on this title for about a year now. I went public with it some time ago but it's still not released as there's a lot of work left. Here's a link to the newest trailer:

There's also an upcoming steam page here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/906790/Gaia/

And the forums here: https://officialgaiagame.com/forums/

There are a few gameplay videos out there if you want to check them out, but they're mostly from a volunteer who's agreed to keep a sort of a video dev blog for me.

Gaia is a game about survival on an alien planet. People like to compare it to games such as Subnautica in terms of graphics while I like to compare it to Rimworld in terms of game mechanics. Although the trailer looks pretty cool (at least I hope!), there's still a lot of stuff to be done which is why it's still a WIP. I'm talking about a nice UI, sound effects, balancing issues and of course bugs.

Please let me know what you fellow devs think! If you have any suggestions or experience with this type of game being developed by a single person, that would be really great as well!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You got quite few interesting concepts there.

But my main question is, can you keep it playable. I mean fun.
    Is relatively easy to put number of asset in game, while forget about gameplay.
    I mean, you got some cool stuff so far. And Lara Croft Inspiration? :p
    But video shows only so much. Rest is left for day of real testing.

Anyway, all best on cool project.

3. Radu392

Radu392

Thanks! I should've talked a bit more about gameplay in the first post ^^

So here are some of the current mechanics in game:
    - 'Random' events that trigger once in a while. These include air or ground attack waves from space pirates and the wildlife, meteor showers, noxious meteors that explode in the atmosphere and release radiation in the air, killing off almost all wildlife slowly over time, including yourself. There's a solar flare event that can cause fire tornadoes to appear, which cause fires on the ground that can spread. I'm talking about wind factors that affect fire spread, animals that are on fire can also spread fire around. As you've seen in the trailer, it doesn't spread only on the ground but on trees, most buildings etc. Another event is the trade ships that come from the different factions in the game. You can trade or even steal from them. There are more events but I don't want to give everything away!

- There's a decoding(research) tree
    - There's a prefab building system.
    - Those circles at the bottom left show you the hunger level, oxygen, thirst, leisure, rest, mental health and others. You have to take care of all that stuff otherwise you might get crazy and lose mental health. This brings me to
    - Mental health mechanics: The less your mental health is, the more weird stuff will happen to you. I'm talking about apparitions, dropping items randomly, walking slower, losing consciousness(and there's a chance that you might die instead of waking up)
    - The AI system is pretty deep but it's also the most buggy feature right now. There are whole threads about the AI on the forums and on steam if you wanna read about them!

There's a lot of stuff in it and you're right, a 2 minute video can only show so much!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Antypodish likes this.
  4. eaque

eaque

hi,

Great project and very nice video!!

Can i ask what is your sky solution??
    AIO sky?
    Enviro?
    best wishes for your project!:)

5. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I am a straight-up sucker for these types of games. It vaguely reminds me of Empyrion with a "The Sims" looking interface, which is just fine. When I saw you could fire at ships in the sky with your gun, that was cool. More games should be like that, with a sorta like "kaiju" element, everyone loves kaiju. If you want my opinion, I'd tell you that you're on the right track and to keep on pushing and polishing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  6. Radu392

Radu392

Thanks for the kind words guys!

It's Tenkoku Dynamic Sky, a pretty good weather/cloud/day and night asset. I think it's the best looking one on the asset store IMO, but it does come with a pretty big cost of performance if you use its cloud system.

eaque likes this.
  7. IsDon

IsDon

It makes me think an AR HUD would work well, where you can see status of your crops without going right up to them, just face close to that way, press a "status" button and see readouts with counts, state, % progress etc on your owned buildings/ crops, etc.

I really liked the spread of fire up the tree - I think that was the wow moment for me, some of the creature animations look like a rework could help the professional graphics feel, and single explosions on giant ships irked me a bit, it could be better to start with medium size explosions at point of collision, then spread to rest of the ship.

Nice concept, and can see a lot of good stuff there.

8. Radu392

Radu392

I'm still not decided on the whole UI idea... That does sound like a good idea though, I'll consider it! And speaking of animations, there'll be a Kickstarter campaign in the next 1-2 months to raise some funds for stuff that I'm not really good at, like animations and sounds. Hopefully it will work out and thanks for the support!

IsDon likes this.
  9. Radu392

Radu392