Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

I'm enjoying the new features in Gaia, in particular the 'clumping' or 'cluster' thing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I recently had the privilege of doing an interview with @JohnRossitter the author of Zone Controller Pro, and it was shared on the Cinema Suite blog today. It talks a little bit about me, about what Gaia is trying to achieve, and about some of my experiences on what it takes to succeed - whether in asset development, game development, or business in general.

Hope some of you find it useful :)

3. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

It was good reading. Thanks for posting.

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  4. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

turboscalpeur and S4G4N like this.
  6. Brity

Brity

oh nevermind

7. marauderkr

marauderkr

Any news about the random terrain creation on runtime with (mobile) builds of gaia - issue @AdamGoodrich ? :) a small list of steps what to do with the ressources folder would help already.

8. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, does anyone know the best settings for the noise to get an effect like this (including the white spaces in between?)

I've given it several attempts, but what usually happens is that the final texture to be painted is more dominant than the others, and the first texture is almost completely lost, so I believe the issue is with the amount of white space. I'm mixing three textures. Thanks.

9. wolfen231

wolfen231

I am quoting myself because I have no idea if Adam ever saw this question. If this is a d***k move then let me know and Ill just clear it out.

10. smada-luap

smada-luap

Have you tried using actual noise images (like the one you linked to) in the spawners as masks as a form of control rather than the built-in noise generators? These will give you a much finer control over the whole 'noise' placements but still maintain a 'random' look.

jonfinlay likes this.
  11. smada-luap

smada-luap

Have you tried altering the curve settings (can't remember it's exact location at this time, sorry) so that the height at the outer edge of the stamp is higher than at the centre? I think by default it's set to be higher in the centre and fading out towards the edge of the stamp.

S4G4N and wolfen231 like this.
  12. wolfen231

wolfen231

No I did not. Only been tinkering after the quick start guide. I'll delve more into the main document and see if I can find what you are talking about and give that a try. Thanks for the tip / suggestion. =)

S4G4N likes this.
  13. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I did that in version 1, but to be honest I had the same problem with that method. Generally what I am after is to have the noise as spacious as possible (large amounts of white space) then I can respawn each texture individually until I get a nice coverage. Judging from what I read, the Zoom function should do this, but as of yet I haven't had the desired effect (although it is still much better than the last version).

Below you can see what I've got so far. If you notice, the darker patches have two textures, and so do the lighter patches, essentially I've two different textures spawned and mixed together at two different heights. However on both one is more dominant than the other.

Another issue with the method you describe is getting the correct sizes for the resolution, I would have to keep going back into Photoshop, adjusting the density and then respawning it again in Unity, then going back to Photoshop, etc. Which is why the sliders are much more handy.

terrain.png

14. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

hi ! I just bought your asset, and i encounter some problem when i tried to import my own heightmap.

I use world machine pro 2 and this is the preview of my terrain :

And this is what happen when i stamp my terrain after scan him :

i dont understand what happen, i tried different resolution for my heightmap, differend kind of heightmap format, i tried to transform my heightmap under photoshop with some blur but ... Nothing change :/.

Someone have an idea ?

15. Teila

Teila

Did you save it as 16 bit raw in WM? Very important to do that. Then you can just import it into Unity. Make sure you set Unity's import settings for the raw to 16 bit as well...and to either Mac or PC, depending on which one you are using.

I can't see your images so just guessing what might be the problem.

Edit: See them now. That could be the problem. What is the resolution of your WM height map?

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  16. Teila

Teila

Oh, you are stamping...not sure about that. I don't seem to have that problem importing into Unity. My guess it is happening from Photoshop to Unity.

Try saving out the raw 16 bit file and importing that directly into Unity, using the terrain settings. Set the resolution and height map the same as your Unity terrain. See if the steps are still there when you import it.

If it is, then it is something happening with the photoshop image that you are scanning, that is my guess. Maybe you are saving out the PS image at 8 bits and that isn't working? Or the PS resolution is too small or compressing somehow.

Oh..did you know you can save to an image in World Machine? That way you can skip Photoshop.

S4G4N likes this.
  17. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Big thanks for you're fast answer it's very nice ! :)

You mean export in RAW16 and rename to RAW ? Or import in RAW16 ? Cause i dont know Unity accep this format :eek:.

I always tried to work in the higher quality, i use 16 bit and 2.048. I tried in 4.096 for more accuracy but doesn't work. So i move in 1.024 like example in GAIA but same result :/.

S4G4N likes this.
  18. Teila

Teila

I export mine as .r16 from World Machine and never have a problem importing them into Unity. Is WM exporting yours as RAW16? You might try changing the extension to r16.

I am opening up Unity right now to see exactly what I do.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  19. iamsam

iamsam

@Teila is absolutely correct, you need to export it as raw16. While importing in Unity, click on the dropdown to show all files and you will be able to see the .r16 files. Import them and remember to "Flip Vertically" as that is the most important step (else your terrain would look a bit weird when you compare it to WM).

Teila likes this.
  20. Teila

Teila

Okay, here we go.

Create a terrain. Set terrain height and width to the same as your raw map from World Machine. So mine is 2048 x 2048 so I set height and width to those numbers.

I set my height map resolution to 2049. Since your height width and resolution would be 1024, you should set the heightmap resolution to 1025.

Now, hit Import Raw in the terrain inspector area and browse to the folder where you exported your raw file. Click All Files rather than RAW or you won't find it. WM files should be in .r16 and have the Zip folder symbol in front of them. Click on one of those, set the proper setting (windows or mac) for your machine. Again, make sure your resolution and heightmap size are correct.

It should come in just fine.

I was stumped when browsing once upon a time but figured out you have to do All Files to find that .r16 file. :)

21. Teila

Teila

Of course, to make a stamp, you have to export the image, not the raw file. Again though, make sure it set properly, both in Unity and in WM. Try exporting your height map as a PNG, but High Precision 16 bit PNG instead of the low precision. Then you should be able to use that in the scanner to make your stamp.

Changing the r16 to raw and trying it Photoshop yields weird results. I wouldn't do it that way. If you still want to "blur" in PS, then use the PNG 16bit that you exported directly from WM.

22. Teila

Teila

Sorry I wasn't fast on the later responses. :(

And no problem, I am bored anyway. Don't feel like working. lol Glad to have something to do that is actually worthwhile. :) If you need further help, just ask.

World Machine is powerful but it has a learning curve. I love it though!

23. iamsam

iamsam

@Teila how do you find using images from WM in Gaia? I have not yet tried the workflow so would appreciate any suggestions :).

24. Teila

Teila

They work fine for me. You just left click twice the height map output and there is an option for a high precision PNG.

I have made stamps using the images but not often. I prefer to use a full height map from WM, making my own modifications in WM to the terrain so that my erosion is consistent.

There is also a difference using the free version of WM compared to the paid version. I have the standard version but will be upgrading to pro within the week, hopefully. :) Waiting for the bank to clear a check. The free version limits your resolution.

iamsam likes this.
  25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Sorry - some things get a little lost in the noise :)

The mountain edge in the random terrain generator is done with masking... If you hit apply on the first stamp in the session manager you can see the settings I use - and there is no reason you can't change them. The session manager is just randomly automating a function that I used to do manually - and being random - its well random :)

S4G4N and wolfen231 like this.
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's just whatever unity supports - every time you add another 4 textures you add another terrain pass - which with vegetation as well can eat frames per second. If you can get away with 4 textures then you should do so.

Nope - I haven't.

Nice - I did a demo video with emerald ai some time ago - it was rather cool spawning clusters of animals that would then act as a herd :)

There will be a deeper integration on top of what is has already been included with Gaia coming soon. I am the blocker here as have many things on my plate. Working through them.

Working with custom editors in unity is one of those interesting things - its hugely time intensive and there have been many 'facepalm' why did they do it that way type moment.

27. sqallpl

sqallpl

Just a small update. Here is a quote by zeroyao from GPU instancing thread in beta forums. Looks like the instancing pipeline is already in development not only in terms of GPU instancing but also handling large number of objects in the editor/scene.

28. iamsam

iamsam

Thanks for the suggestions.

@AdamGoodrich Sorry for taking the post a bit off topic, wanted to see if anyone was using WM and Gaia :).

S4G4N likes this.
  29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia supports it - just drag your .r16 files onto the Scanner to make new stamps from the WM files.

30. Black_Raptor

Black_Raptor

Thanks a lot again !! You Fix my problem. It's my fault i dont know Unity accept r16 now. ( I use CryEngine usally :confused: ). Very big thanks to you.

S4G4N and Teila like this.
  31. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yup. The thread is HUGE and constantly active hehe.

32. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

Thx Adam for your answer, i will see later what i can do when gaia works with split terrain :D

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

The best way to get heightmaps from WM into Gaia is to save them as .r16 files (windows raw 16 bit files). You can then drag and drop them directly onto a Scanner to save them as a stamp. Once in stamp format then you get all of the rotation, scale and blending options that are in inherent with stamps.

I have also exported wear and deposition maps and used then as masks to influence texturing.
    Post 1
    Post 2

wolfen231 likes this.
  34. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hmmm... I should start using World Machine again. But not for full terrain anymore. I oughtta bust out some stamps.

S4G4N likes this.
  35. iamsam

iamsam

Hey, thanks a lot for the info, it was exactly what I was looking for :).

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  36. brunno159

brunno159

37. SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

I love this new asset, can't wait to see some more new features, I am hoping to see some water (falls, lakes, rivers, fishing spots, etc.) and cave (curving some hole in the mountains and hills or underground areas, etc.) system in this procedural terrain generator. This is a must tool and much more epic than the other terrain that I have used before. I really love this one, I hope to see more video tutorials for the customization of adding new assets (houses, villages, animals, roads, etc.) before we hit the spawner button. - By the way I am a fan of the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory and it seems that this one has a pure quality to impress consumer if they did a game like the said two games of Natsume.

boysenberry and AdamGoodrich like this.
  38. wolfen231

wolfen231

Technically you can get most of that yourself with this tool already.

It's not just a procedural generator. Look into the "stamps" and make the terrain the way you want quickly. As Adam described in a recent interview he thought "Why can't I just make terrain like I was placing a model?". That's what he did. It's VERY nice. Want a waterfall in a specific place? Get a waterfall stamp and hand place it and scale and rotate it to your hearts content and then blam. It's there.

Holes with caves I am not sure though. Holes in Unity terrain is a tricky thing if I recall.

39. Teila

Teila

Yeah, no holes, but you can make a mesh and put a hole in it, maybe stick it on the side of a hill.

40. SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a question with regards to the scanner that adam said before. What is that scanner that he and the other guy here are talking about with?

41. wolfen231

wolfen231

Still need to put a hole in the terrain don't you? I know RTP has hole punching in terrain but last I tried it it was very complex.

42. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

While Gaia already has 150 stamps to use to compose your scenes, it is completely extensible as well.

You can use the scanner (under the utilities tab) and make new stamps from World Machine .16 files, 16 bit windows raw files, terrain objects, meshes and png/jpg heightmap images.

TeagansDad likes this.
  43. wolfen231

wolfen231

Haven't tried it yet but I am "assuming" its part of the gaia toolset. Sounds like you just add your heightmap (in their case a raw r16? file) and it will convert it to a format Gaia can use and create a stamp out of it. You can then disregard the heightmap. It's very usefull for making the specific terrain features you want. So you could say go into world machine and design a Plateau or even a set of many Plateaus, export to raw, use Gaia tool to scan it, then use it. (It's discussed in the documentation).

44. wolfen231

wolfen231

Beat me to the punch by a few seconds haha.

45. SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

Maybe
    Maybe, but if there isn't a way or there is a complex things to do then I forget it. I am just a beginner but because of this tool , it is easier for me to build something.

46. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yes. You can also just use it procedurally if you like. Or you can start procedurally then add in your stamps where you want your waterfall, or cliff, or mountain and further customize the procedurally generated options. It does both basically. But it primarily relies on the stamps for the procedural generation.

47. SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

I watched the videos already, and I have some questions to ask again.

With regards to spawning assets like houses and other stuffs, can we make it in a group, for example I want to create a certain area that is having a market place or whatever (or should I place them manually?)

48. SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

SerdeeneilNakpilMerin

Do you have a scene of a mountain water a water falls done in this asset?

49. wolfen231

wolfen231

I don't personally. I believe you would get the terrain water from another resource yourself and hand place, but the terrain would have the sculpting in for the water fall via stamp. Though It "MIGHT" (I am not sure) be possible to have a water mesh or particle places on a water fall stamp. Not sure how well that would work though.

If you go to the first page of this thread and check out the documentation (the main one, not the quick start guide) a lot of your questions will get answered. As I have actually been jumping into the doc to answer a couple of your questions already because I have not yet tried those particular things. hehe

I have mainly been having fun with the quick start and placing stamps. It's fun to just mess around with this tool purely to see what you can create with what it has already.

TeagansDad and AdamGoodrich like this.
  50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia can shape the terrain for you - but you still need to make meshes and textures for waterfalls - and so far I have not found anything I am happy with.

I did the following images from a scene I made with the previous version of the technology that became Gaia - but the waterfall mist, meshes, shaders etc were all hand placed.

Grab 2015-04-17 233423 1920x1029.jpg
    Grab 2015-04-19 161231 1920x1015.jpg

unityunity