Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @AdamGoodrich,

The POI functionality looks great. Don't know if it has this capability but if each POI had a public variable linked to it then we could copy in an array of our own gameobjects. Mainly thinking of villagers.

So I could create a list/array of random npc's/villagers/cattle and drag that into the POI, or even have the POI pick up the list itself at runtime. Also the POI could compare it's own size, eg town or lone cabin etc, with the array size and spawn a comparable number into it. So as to not have empty towns or vastly overpopulated hermit cabins.

Just a thought

S4G4N likes this.
  2. broesby

broesby

Yea, that was a shame. I also got a refund.... Didn't know it still worked ;)
    On the other hand we shouldn't expect all assets at any price to stay supported and up to date at any time. Some are really cheap and as a developer it is probably demanding to keep them error free and up to date forever.

For instance I have Silverlining Skies - it was deprecated after 2 years - I accept the developers explanation that he cannot put in the time required to support a package costing 40-50$ at the same time as having almost the same product sold as an entire programmer environment for professionals for an entirely different price.... We have to accept that priorities change... We don't get refunds for a lot of stuff we buy in life that is outdated after some time :rolleyes:

But true.... I also check if assets have a forum and an active developer before buying..;)

On another note,,... Did anyone try this asset for terrain slicing/streaming .... https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5982

Jesper

S4G4N likes this.
  3. docsavage

docsavage

Totally agree. I think we have to be realistic. If an asset fails it's the same has any business model failing. There comes a time to end it. That's why it's good when devs make them free and open the community maintenance.

I didn't ask for the refund for vBug as i paid a really low amount for it and it's still working for me, although the vbug thread shows others haven't been able to get it working. Really nice tool as well. Being able to rewind through frames etc as more than been useful on my project.

4. Pequisto

Pequisto

I recently purchased that asset and it seems good. I haven't tried the Dynamic Loading but the terrain slicing does what it says it does.

5. blacksun666

blacksun666

Havent tried that asset, but I have been monitoring World Streamer which is about to drop v1.5 with some nice extras, at around the same price (has an active forum too so you can check out progress). I'd be interested in any feedback on either products.

6. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

Any recommended texture packs?

7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

8. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I hope to be able to use "POI" to also create some AI spawn points and other types of stuff...

S4G4N likes this.
  9. magique

magique

I'm interested in hearing suggestions from others as well. I'm trying to find the best possible textures to use for my terrains. Here is one free pack that I think is very nice, but I'm open to hearing suggestions from others who have done more serious terrain work.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13001

FyreDogStudios and tapticc like this.
  10. tapticc

tapticc

I think I might be missing out here - talk of v1.5 and the store still have v1.0?!

11. runningbird

runningbird

nah we're still waiting for v1.5 :(

12. tapticc

tapticc

is 1.4 available I mean?

13. S4G4N

S4G4N

there has been so much added in the beta since release, that it is 1.0 then first update will be 1.5

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

probably should really be a 2.0 - there is so much new capability... :)

15. tapticc

tapticc

16. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

I seem to have a shade line and a difference depending on which way I move

I'm using Time of Day

17. runningbird

runningbird

I vote for 2.0 :)

S4G4N likes this.
  18. magique

magique

I'd say it's a Time of Day issue. This could have nothing to do with Gaia.

19. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

I'm not to pin blame here, I am as a novice learning this stuff I'm looking to lean so I can gain the knowledge I need to understand all this stuff, given the great, helpful people here and the areas they seem to cover including weather and lighting I asked here

20. tapticc

tapticc

Possibly a fog setting?

21. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Would the default fog settings cause the colour variance that looks like a shaded line from left to right of the char?

22. magique

magique

@Kiwi-Hawk, What special features of Time of Day are you using? Scattering, God Rays, etc? First, I'd turn off Time of Day completely to see if that's the issue as I suspect. Then turn back on, but with no special features. Then turn each special feature on one at a time to see what the culprit is.

tapticc likes this.
  23. tapticc

tapticc

I mean TOD fog but this isn't the best place for this conversation :)

24. broesby

broesby

I have been trying to nail the "Three levels of separation" vegetation trick I mentioned above....

1. level (trees) : Speedtrees placed as Gameobjects (just took the free conifer ;))
    2. level (larger vegetation) Terrain trees = 3 different "grasses" created as trees with this trick: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/be...s-runs-as-fast-and-looks-just-as-good.339792/ (plus also added a regular classic terrain tree bush :rolleyes:)
    3. level (grasses): Normal detail grasses with rather short distance (50, I think)

That way you will have 2 different detail layers / distances. You have the added benefit of a decent wind effect on the "terrain tree grasses". Also you can set the terrain trees billboard distance to zero as it is already created as a 2-sided billboard - so not performance-heavy :cool: (except for the bush, which was a mistake.. hehe)

I hope the pictures will show the different distances - I tried tio make the "terrain tree grasses" much less saturated than the normal ones.... but should've made the detail distance even shorter to better show it I guess... sry too tired to take new screenshots now :oops:

Other assets used: RTP (with substance textures), CETO, Silverlining skies, 2 simple Colorful FX image effects (contrast, sharpen)

screen_6400x2916_2016-02-11_00-12-04.jpg screen_6400x2916_2016-02-11_00-13-03.jpg screen_6400x2916_2016-02-11_00-14-49.jpg screen_6400x2916_2016-02-11_00-15-51.jpg
    Goodnight, Jesper ;)

25. broesby

broesby

Ahh... Could not resist the urge to show the power of RTP and substances together (... and speedtrees ;))

These seasonal changes took me shorter time than taking the screenshots....

screen_6400x2916_2016-02-11_01-21-10.jpg screen_6400x2916_2016-02-11_00-12-04.jpg screen_6400x2916_2016-02-11_01-35-36.jpg

26. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

I use Yughues free texture packs currently, although they may not be present in the final product.

They are very good quality textures and normals and are seamless in transition. Yes there is tiling, but with newer assets such as Distingo, tiling should no longer be a problem.

Yughues also offers an updated version of all his textures in one pack, but I am not purchasing those. I'm seriously considering and waiting to evaluate Adam's use of game.textures textures. I have bought numerous textures, but textures are very much hit and miss.

My only issue/problem/inconvenience with Yughues Free Stone texture pack comes from the fact that I am a geologist by day. Some of these textures have strata that do not conform to the logical/correct geological processes :)

runningbird and AdamGoodrich like this.
  27. magique

magique

You mean like rapid stratification as observed at Mt. St. Helens that make a mockery of deep time geology? ;)

jarretttowe likes this.
  28. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Until Skyrim I had never played an RPG title. I have modded Total War games since 2005 trying to get to the stage where I could get close to the perfect game I wanted. But when I found Unity, and in particular the community assets I realised that I could design my own game without the limitations of the Total War engine.

So, I agree Skyrim changed my gaming design and expectations forever :)

@broesby, nice screenshots by the way. Where are those ground textures from?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  29. MadToLove

MadToLove

@AdamGoodrich

Ok some few questions about this asset. I apologize in advance if any of this has already been asked or answered. I seriously cannot seem to figure out how to search a thread properly and for previous inquiries I clicked and scrolled and searched each individual page to find answers and now the thread is nearly twice as big as before lol.

I saw on the asset page that multi tiles are not currently supported yet but there is a workaround. Where can I find details on this workaround/process?

More on the future multi tile support, will this system eventually allow us to create multi tile terrains using only your tool? Such as instead of populating 1 tile and stamping it, it would populate say 4 x 4 tiles of a user specified size and allow us to stamp out the details and in turn also stitch together the seams for seamless looking terrain or are you thinking just 1 large terrain we can stamp out and then a built in tool for cutting it into pieces?

@Everyone else -- random terrain related type questions

General Question:
    Does anyone here know a good guide or resource on Terrain LOD's and or how to optimize performance when using large terrains? This is really my first foray into terrain like this. Mine only calls for around a 2-3 mile in both directions terrain and I am already seeing performance drops.

Inquiry:
    I have this idea/understanding in my head that if I am able to do multi terrains Unity will be able to cull the terrain tiles I am not needing when not looking at them etc. Is this the main draw of using multi tile terrains? For performance?

Random Extra Questions:
    Using Multi Terrain Tiles and an asset such as say World Streamer..is that like a combo that could potentially if set up right really boost performance in a project?

Is there a way to dynamically have Unity change the LOD's of terrain tiles? Such as : far away the silhouette of say a large mountain looks pretty much the same but is lower poly and as you get closer it starts to transition to the higher poly version? Is that the main draw of multi terrain tiles?

Right now I THINK my problem is, please correct me if I am wrong, is that I have ONE quite large terrain tile and Unity is not doing any LOD transitions as far as the polys go because no matter where I am on the map or looking on the map I am always seeing the 1 terrain tile so there is nothing to transition to. So if i had multi tiles would that mean I have the possibility of having a farther from camera terrain tile show lower poly till i get closer and thus get a boost to performance?

I just want to try to wrap my head around what the prospective workflow would be so I can get prepared if I need to acquire some other assets to create multi terrains with ease.

And apologies if the questions are somewhat redundant. I think my brain is turning into putty trying to sort out how these things work.

30. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

I know exactly what you mean :)

I prefer to think and reason, as opposed to accepting because I'm told to do so....yes I know this is modern scientific heresy!

Anyway, not so much the processes involved, more so the ability to mix and match the limited selection of stratigraphy in his texture pack.

jarretttowe likes this.
  31. broesby

broesby

Thx,.. ;) They are all substances = .SBSAR files. The low one and the main flatland one are from allegorithmic, I think. They are both procedural and almost infinitely tweakable with some sliders... That way I could change the colors in a matter of moments and tweak them to my liking.... The rock texture is also a substance sbsar file, but made by myself from a rock texture + normal I don't remember where I got... I cannot be tweaked as much, but the color hue can.... :cool:

32. S4G4N

S4G4N

" Because they were made for each other "

I have had several users contact me stating that they missed the Christmas Sale so here you go
    For a limited time, only 4 days both the Village Interiors Kit & Village Exteriors Kit are on a -33% Valentines SALE

*** Please don't forget to STAR rate and review 3DForge packages that you have.

Have a fabulous weekend testing your new packages :):):)

Cheers
    Cobus​

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Very cool - and thanks for sharing :)

Disable all other terrain tiles. Move the one you want to work on so that its centre is at 0,0. Do your thing. Move it back.

GAIA will create multiple tiles right now in release 1 - its just hidden in inspector until its supported by everything else. So the idea is that you say something like - i want a 4 x 4 x 2km terrain and Gaia will create it and stitch it for you. The idea of splitting one big one up was something suggested the other day. Will explore that as well.

Yes. There are lots of things that affect performance so there is no one simple answer - it depends on your game.

After 1.5 release I will put together a document on performance optimisation - and between what I know and the community knows - we can maybe put together something that is best practice.

Sigstan likes this.
  34. MadToLove

MadToLove

@

Thank you very much for the reply. Its assets like this and the support you provide that really should set the bar for other asset developers. You are so active and friendly and straightforward it makes it easy to get answers. Appreciate it, ty.

AdamGoodrich, S4G4N and TheSeawolf like this.
  35. magique

magique

Awesome.

jarretttowe likes this.
  36. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Its a noob question maybe but is there a tutorial for this please?

I understand making the substance etc I just don't get where in the terrain data section your dropping your substance or how to apply that to a terrain. I watched Wes's tutorial with the GDC Girl etc but that was just a plain not a terrain as such so I'm a bit lost as to how this works so finding a wee video would help an ole geeezer understand better.

@magique I dropped all including TOD out and that shade was still there, looks like I maybe have some remllents of Tenkoku hidden in there I took it out cause I could not get rid of the yellow hue/cast and a white-ish cast, still looking for that

Edit:

I took out ALL the lighting, theres only the ocean the terrain and the 3rd person Char so I have no idea where to look for that, it's no snow, you can see in the background the end of the snow cap, the distance view is not blending that as well as the close up view

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv1w7cghlncnbel/Screenshot 2016-02-11 18.40.36.png?dl=0

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  37. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

I was hoping these were going on sale soon since I missed out at Christmas. Well done Cobus :)

GAIA will create multiple tiles right now in release 1 - its just hidden in inspector until its supported by everything else. So the idea is that you say something like - i want a 4 x 4 x 2km terrain and Gaia will create it and stitch it for you. The idea of splitting one big one up was something suggested the other day. Will explore that as well.

You know this could be another separate asset :) I'm sure there are some of us here that would welcome the chance to get this.

38. chingwa

chingwa

@Kiwi-Hawk If I were to guess, I would say that the ambient light in your scene is being drawn from a skybox/cubemap texture. Try going to your Lighting tab, and switch the ambient mode to 'color', then set it to a neutral medium dark grey tint.

AdamGoodrich and tapticc like this.
  39. tapticc

tapticc

Is it possible to use PBR substances on a terrain without saving them as texture files first?

40. impactit

impactit

Yep. U can't use substances directly on terrain. Maby one day :) but not now :)

41. tapticc

tapticc

When you say "Yep" do you mean "Nope"?! Or do you mean "Yep, as long as you do XYZ first"? :)

42. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Thank you I've checked that out, and it as you say and this is what happens when I load TenKoku

Note to at the end the blue progress on the probes, that jus keeps going and will not finalize

43. broesby

broesby

With RTP you can use substances on terrain but only by extracting the textures from them :confused:

That is however easily done. In the layer settings on the terrain you have the option to apply your diffuse, normal and height textures for each of 4 or 8 layers...

Instead you can drag and drop the Substance SBSAR file just below and press Get textures which will put it on the terrain . Clipboard01.jpg
    You can then go back to the SBSAR file - tweak it however you likeand then go press Get textures again and voila - textures changed :D One CAVEAT! Sometimes Unity will crash if you do not recompile RTP shaders before you do it... dunno why.... any RTP buffs in here?? Or perhaps Tomasiek even??? .... and remember: The SBSAR file has to be changed to RAW format in the texture settings.... (usually from compressed)

44. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

@broesby thank you so very much mate

45. impactit

impactit

Hi

U can't use substance on terrain directly (!!). U can extract some substance chanels and put on the terrain. Some plugins have ability to do this (RTP, Substance Terrain Tool).

There is copule ideas how to achive this effect on terrain .. but still, on this moment is imposible directly :)

Andrzej

turboscalpeur and tapticc like this.
  46. red2blue

red2blue

Is this done with RTP? Looks really good!!!

47. tapticc

tapticc

Hi Andrzej, how did you link the substance to the terrain in the example video? Did you use RTP?

48. impactit

impactit

NO! I don't use RTP (i dont like it), this is not terrain its mesh. If u looks good is a Viking Demo from Asset Store, they use mesh on the ground and own type of shader. RTP can only take snapshot 3 chanels - Defuse (base color) Normal and Height. Works good but not perfect :)

red2blue likes this.
  49. tapticc

tapticc

50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Here's some images from the upcoming release.

This was done proceduraly, and I am showing off just how lovely the new POI are. It took longer to wander around and take photos than it did to make the entire scene :)

There is some liberal dosing of plants from SpeedTree Desktop Pack 1, and SpeedTree Desktop Ground Pack 1 - plus lighting from Tenkoku. All other assets shown are included in Gaia.

You can see a bunch more here.

Grab 20160211213231 w1900h1200 x-88y47z178r239.jpg Grab 20160211213407 w1900h1200 x-201y41z105r255.jpg Grab 20160211213439 w1900h1200 x-247y42z61r326.jpg Grab 20160211213743 w1900h1200 x-197y40z94r91.jpg Grab 20160211214231 w1900h1200 x257y72z-860r13.jpg

unityunity