Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

I have been trying to figure out why my water in the scene looks so blocky. I made this scene with Gaia following Adams on-line demo. What I noticed is that the blocky patterns may be matching the actual mesh and perhaps this is not a material or shader problem?

blocky_water.jpg tile_mesh_OceanPlane.jpg tile_oceanPlane_selected.jpg

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This is standard unity water. They have another water type there as well. You can delete and add the other one instead. I think I will use the other one in the next release.

If anyone knows how to get a better result with Unity water I would love to hear about it.

S4G4N likes this.
  3. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

in the demo we had scaled the water to 40. I put it back to 1 and it looks OK here. scale_1_water.jpg

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  4. kerrmedia

kerrmedia

OK, this might be it. I put .00 in front of the amplitude values. Saw this post:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/152737/water4-big.html amplitude_00.jpg
    where someone says:
    I just scaled it up, then put the amplitude, steepness and speed + direction of all the tiles to a very low number like 0.00xx

But I only had to change the amplitude value on the shader.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Deleted User, AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Doing something a little different with Red Planet from @JohnRossitter. I wanted to play around and see if I could convert terrain objects from the pack into stamps used by Gaia. I was able to get one of the tiles converted to a Gaia stamp and stamped a 2048x2048 terrain tile with it. I then used Gaia to texture the terrain using Red Planet's ground texture along with a black sand one from the Dark Sand Coast pack. I haven't set up any spawning other than that and I'm using the sky from Time of Day. I was unable to get the skybox that comes with Red Planet to work with ToD and after asking about it in the ToD thread, I'm not sure if it is possible with the way ToD is set up. But I didn't spend a ton of time on it. I also have Scion and SSAO Pro on my camera.

Daytime:
    RedPlanet-Day.jpg

Early Morning:
    RedPlanet-Morning.png

Like I said, still a work in progress. Looking at night minimap I need to probably do static image for map lol.. Also need to setup spawners for boulders, buildings, and the trees and grasses from Red Planet. Will post more as I get time to work on it. :)

6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Brilliant & thank you !!!!

I was really struggling to understand why Unity would put such bad water there... the issue wasn't unity it was me - i was setting Y scale to 1, and it should have been 0 :)

Gaia now modified for next release... in mean time after you have added your water to the scene set the Y scale value to 0 and your water will work!
    Water.jpg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Deleted User and Andy3D like this.
  7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

8. bartm4n

bartm4n

9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

FYI.. here is a shot i took with latest (unreleased) Gaia - with that change made to the water. Much better!

All assets in this screen shot come with next release of Gaia.

Grab 20160101084409 w1900h1200 x-481y126z0r82.jpg

Andy3D, mwituni, S4G4N and 5 others like this.
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Started to bring the new release together - the following screenshots were generated with Gaia and assets included with Gaia - no 3rd party assets or lighting - and created with default settings (i did play with the lighting presets - the ones shown are morning and afternoon).

Grab 20160101115818 w1900h1200 x-647y168z112r221.jpg

Grab 20160101120417 w1900h1200 x-225y102z617r213.jpg

Attached Files:

11. S4G4N

S4G4N

These default screenies just keeping getting better and better @AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  12. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Hi, I downloaded Gaia yesterday but ran into a problem. I get errors when compiling the scripts. It says the following: Default parameter specifiers are not permitted. Like it happens at places like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void SaveToWorld(bool forceWrite = false)
    2. {
    4. }
    I'm using NET 4.0 framework which as far as I know supports this. Do you have any suggestions for a workaround or how to fix these errors (there are 19 of these).

Thanks
    Andre

13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This is valid c#, and compiles just fine. There must be something weird about your setup. Not even sure how I would go about recreating this. Have you done something unusual with your unity setup ?

14. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

Started a project with a third person pakage in it that needed a clean project andd installed Gaia after it and got this wee message: 'SpeedTree materials need to be regenerated." not sure how I do that

15. montyfi

montyfi

Click on speedtree prefab and click Regenerate Materials button on top section

TheSeawolf and AdamGoodrich like this.
  16. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Nothing unusual that I know of. I got to the point where the previous errors are fixed but are faced with new errors: The type or namespace name 'GaiaDefaults' could not be found(are you missing...).

But I only see now that you released it with Unity 5.1 and I'm still running 5.0.1, so I will update Unity and then see what happens.

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I opened a new project in unity 5.3.1 yesty. Even standard assets had this error. If unity took you to the speed tree with the issue it would be a marginally better experience. Better again to just fix the issue itself automatically.

S4G4N likes this.
  18. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I think your issues are different. There is something very weird going on there with your Unity setup and .net compilation. Hopefully the new Unity version sorts it out.

FYI, while the issues you have reported are different, it won't actually compile in Unity 5.0.1 anyway as I use a feature in Unity 5.1.0. I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay on the first version of a major new release of Unity - first release of anything usually means "we have to hit a timeline and are shipping come hell or highwater!!" i.e. buggy as heck :)

If you are upgrading Unity versions then I would recommend 5.2.3. and i see that 5.2.4 is just out as well but have not tested it yet. Unity 5.3.x seems to have massive issues and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone at the moment. I tried 5.3.1 out with Tenkoku and yesterday and it basically broke an otherwise awesome and working asset.

hopeful and S4G4N like this.
  19. elbows

elbows

Although as usual it depends what you are doing - I use quite a lot of 3rd party assets and have had far more luck with 5.3 in general than seems to be typically expressed on these forums.

Looking forward to the new version of Gaia very much. I only purchased some weeks back and haven't had much time so I've mostly only played with basic stamping of terrain and decided to learn the rest with the next version.

20. julianr

julianr

Yes, stay away from 5.3/5.3.1 - frame rate issues and problems with GI. My project drops 40-60 fps in 5.3.1. If anyone is having issues with lower versions on selecting gameObjects and it freezes for 5 minutes with a massive memory leak in the editor, switch off anti-aliasing while editing, you'll notice a big boost in performance and the freezing issue goes (fixed in 5.3.1 though!). You may only see it in large projects though. Remember to put it back on (if you need it) when you build. 5.2.4 seems stable and a slight increase on fps over 5.2.2. Not sure about 5.2.3 (skipped that version).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  21. elbows

elbows

I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick on this but I think the reason you didn't get a terribly useful response to that stuff is that systems like Time of Day are alternatives to skyboxes, i.e. Time of Day is using calculations to generate sky colours etc and then shows them on a dome, and adds in various other meshes for the moon etc. There are perhaps a limited number of scenarios where it might make sense to augment that with some imagery from a skybox, but I suspect it will just be a mess if you are trying to use a classic skybox that comprises of all aspects of the sky already present. Time Of Day isn't left with much useful to do in that scenario.

22. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

Sorry this maybe is a wee tad off topic but relates to what I'll be doin in Gaia

I have just been sorting out my Terrain textures (git way to many) and I notice that the 4096x4096 ones do not show as a thunbnail in explorer, the 2048x2048 and under do, is there a limit or somit I need to do to make the big ones work?

On a side note are you guys that like to hand tweek your terrains after making them aware of Erosion Brush

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/er...-paint-terrain-with-noise-and-erosion.290257/

Be great for fine tunning I think, doing wee banks and the like, theres a free version called Noise Brush

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28672

Bit useless info for those interested

23. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Someone was using them early on and mentioned them in the thread. I picked up the free noise brush and have the other on my wish list for later. Haven't had a chance to dig into playing with it yet. Been quite a while since they were mentioned though so a good fresh reminder as a couple possible useful additions to add to the toolbox if you are looking for that type of fine tuning tools! :)

24. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Thanks for this fix. 5.3 has lots of issues as well as the random frame rate drop from lighting changes. I regularly lose between 40 - 60 fps.

Kiwi, I also use erosion brush and it is really useful for finishing off terrains.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  25. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I only thought of it when I came apon this

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    tequyla likes this.
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Here is a sneak peek at the next version of Gaia - had both the cat, and other apps try and get in on the act while i was doing the video, but still thought it was worth showing off. Enjoy :)

And here is the photo i took with the screen shotter in that session - I forgot to come back to it :)

Grab 20160102153514 w1900h1200 x-304y106z534r180.jpg

27. Andy3D

Andy3D

Hey Adam,
    +1 for satellite imagery. My work is based on realworld locations, so support for satellite imagery would be massively helpful. Ive been doing it with WorldComposer up till now (that uses placement of assets based on colour, tho it can produce some unpredictable results and generally needs cleanup afterwards) Im sure its possible to produce perfect results, tho I dont have the luxury of endless time to invest in working out how... In fact, Ive just bought Gaia to try and achieve this very thing, so definitely interested in any update that helps with real world imagery / positioning.

S4G4N likes this.
  28. tequyla

tequyla

hello Adam,

How do you reduce batches ?

note: thanks you to add stats screen in your video :)

++

29. smada-luap

smada-luap

I've had this in the past and you need to use (if memory serves) the NET 4.5 framework

30. sarum

sarum

the new default ground/details coverage looks beautiful .. can't wait to play with this :)

31. S4G4N

S4G4N

What is great to see is that the package is growing and maturing.

@AdamGoodrich is not just fixing bugs (then it would have been a quick update for there are so few bugs)
    he is making it more and more user friendly for existing package owners and further enhancing and making the out the box experience for future new users even better then before.

I think many are going to dive into this new iteration of Gaia with great thanks for the level of polish that even the release version had and appreciate the time put in giving each of us s clean, powerful, streamlined package to use more and more.

Really looking forward to this.

That Video is just stunning, with all the new and extra presets in place I just know that this improved release is going to be the nail in the coffin for anyone that have not yet bought it.

John-G, AdamGoodrich and TheSeawolf like this.
  32. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Like Andy3d mentioned, I'm using World Composer to create my height maps, with varying levels of success. The creation of the height maps take a fair lot of reworking to make a Gaia stamp. The scales that are required for both assets work against converting real life heights.

My project is based in real world terrain heights, so I'm very interested in satelite imagery as well.

Adam, what are your ideas for this sort of implementation? Something similar to the relationship World Composer has to Terrain Composer?

33. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Nice. Now I can do some desert set-up to reuse, some plains set-up, some highlands set-up, and maybe a walk-about set-up. Then it will be super easy to recreate and tweak! nice.

34. mwituni

mwituni

I'm pretty sure its as easy as dropping the HM onto a Gaia scanner.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  35. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Noticing the talk about World Composer. Just wanted to note that you can use the two products together. If you are creating your terrain with World Composer based off of a satellite map, you shouldn't have to recreate the terrain again in Gaia. I have both WC and TC, so not sure if just WC by itself overlays the satellite image over the terrain or not, but if it does and all you are wanting at that point is to spawn resources you can simply add Gaia, disable the texture spawner and setup all of your grass, tree, and game object spawners.

Also you guys talk about creating stamps from the World Composer stuff. The only time you would need to create a stamp is if you are wanting to use the same features in multiple terrains. For example if the area you are scanning is for you to recreate a volcano that can be used over and over that you would want to stamp as a feature into other terrains. Since World Composer creates a standard Unity terrain of the real world area, if all you are wanting is that terrain there really isn't a need to scan it into a Gaia stamp unless you just want to. Gaia can work with Unity terrains created outside of Gaia. :)

Just thought I would respond for clarification. Not sure if it is needed or not, but for those reading it was starting to sound like you have to convert everything to stamps and create terrain with Gaia before you can use spawners which is not the case. In fact, you can even take a terrain that already has things spawned on it and then run Gaia's spawners to further enhance/populate the terrain. :)

Andy3D, John-G and AdamGoodrich like this.
  36. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Actually, it depends on the detail. Some satellite areas are pretty low resolution when you grab the heightmaps. I'm assuming that is what @TheSeawolf is referring to. Those areas usually end up looking pretty much like a minecraft block type world than what a person might want for their game. But that doesn't have anything to do with the stamp as much as it does the original HM. World Composer will probably give the same blocky terrain with the same HM.

37. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

This looks like this ole falla going back to square one and starting over lol,. BTW Talking of starting over is it possible to (If for example I load a project of each asset Pack I brought) copy the parts of the asset packs eg building trees etc and place them in a folder say \DefaultAssets that way I don't have this bloody hastle of weeding out script errors and the likes. I'm gonna need to rebuild anyway cause of some crap brought in by somit I imported.

rc.right == m_GfxWindow->GetWidth() && rc.bottom == m_GfxWindow->GetHeight()

GUI Window tries to begin rendering while something else has not finished rendering! Either you have a recursive OnGUI rendering, or previous OnGUI did not clean up properly.

Not sure if this is caused by the importing of an FBX files and some FBX animations

this is a like to a dropbox with the screenies in it so as not to load the thread with crap

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qn5721w5cua538m/AAAATKMKCgPmaAtAySb6OwBka?dl=0

Up close the textures look great but they go a bit of a shimmer from way back theyer 32 bit taga files I was getting a shine on the png version and remember somit about Unity finding the Spec/shine in the alpha channel, so looking to find a great format for terrains, they atre 2048x2048 real world textures created by a Skyrim modder at 4096x4096.

This time the lighting is weird it changes with a 180 degree turn, faceing th right of the map is day lovely light view and turn back to the left is like night time much darker, I put it down to the Pro skybox a deleted and the compiling not being done.

This was to be a test project to get a third person char up and running but the terrain as turned out to have the beginnings of a neat island

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qn5721w5cua538m/AAAATKMKCgPmaAtAySb6OwBka?dl=0

Maybe I'm trying to get my head round to much to fast lol

BTW will we be able to backup/save texture sets (resource files) to put back into projects later

38. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hey, I noticed you made some changes to the water and said it would be included in the next version. But which water is it? Water free (Unity Personal) or Water Pro? Thanks

EDIT: just saw in a previous post it is Water 4, but this can't be used by personal users can it?

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes - this takes all of about 10 seconds - it really is just a drag an drop thing to convert grey scale images, terrains, world machine raw r16 files or even meshes to stamps...

Once in stamp format you then get all of the capability of the stamping system to transform and leverage.

40. mwituni

mwituni

Aha ok yes ... low res can be blocky, or spiky.
    But good to keep in mind Gaia's also good at smoothing to escape the minecraft terrain ... in case that's what users are doing in PS or Gimp as "rework" ... Gaia can do that on-the-fly.

41. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yup, but again you don't need to stamp a terrain with Gaia to use the Smooth buttons in Gaia. If you enable Terrain Helpers on any of the spawners, you have access to the smooth button to smooth the terrain.. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally understanding what you are saying and agree. I'm just trying to let people know they also have these options without stamping. I love stamps and have converted my terrains and even demo terrains from packs I've bought into stamps that I can use with Gaia - mainly just to be able to easily tweak rotations, heights, etc within the scenes. But I could have just as easily used those terrains as they were and done smoothing, spawning, or just about anything else that Gaia does to those unstamped terrains. :)

42. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Unity 5 did away with the whole standard vs pro with water. All of the waters are now available to non-pro users. I think the main differences between the two now are less with gameplay type things and more with the dealing with teams and some of the higher end development tools. Oh, and the splash screen. But I think most, if not all, of the image effect type limitations we had with 4 and earlier are no longer there with 5+.

EDIT: At least I think they are... lol.. I'm on personal edition and I haven't had issues with any of those types of things which I didn't have access to before 5.. (pro water, pro image effects, etc) So I'm pretty sure all those types of things are now part of all unity installs.

jonfinlay likes this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep correct.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  44. twobob

twobob

After reasonable extensive derping we have nothing to offer on the subject: Other than reasonably extensive derping turned nothing up, we tried custom meshes at one point IIRC for larger areas and that gave - different - if not better - results. We also tried twiddling a little with the shader (via the bit you can get at) but this is very project specific stuff and you would have to have very specific goals to bother with this level of arcania.

Ultimately the Unity Water is what it is, We recently played Ark (UE4 offering) and it would appear they use a very fast realtime reflection algorithym; which suffers from all its inherent problems, and the water whilst very pretty was actually WAY less accuracte than the UT offering. Ultimately Water4 is now a fairly dated example of water tech (hence all the successful, alternate, offerings using newer research) and is due for an update I would imagine one would hope, although who knows when :) It does several jobs very well, assuming you want one of those things it is great; geospacially flexible it isn't.

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

For those who want to support mobile and VR - i just enabled integration between Gaia and SplatTerrain.

Check the FPS out in the image below - it was 3000+ fps before i added Camera FX and lighting.

What i did was export the terrain as an OBJ file (you have this now), then exported the terrain splat maps (coming in the next release).

I then created a new project and set up a new material with the SplatTerrain shader, my object, and the terrain splatmap export.

I will add the ability to spawn on a mesh as well as spawn on terrain as well so that you get the benefit of Gaia's game object spawning - think grass, trees, rocks etc as game objects.

If you want to know more go and check out the SplatTerrain forum - very nice!

Gaia plus splat terrain.jpg

46. Andy3D

Andy3D

Hey Adam
    Regarding your post about satellite imagery previously. There was a response which pointed out that Worldcomposer can be used to create the satellite imagery whilst Gaia can be used to add gameobjects etc. that's true of course but my understanding was that you were positing something that would help with the actual positioning of assets onto the satellite image...? ie trying to procedurally add hedgerows, clumps of trees, etc to satellite imagery. My interest is in recreating realworld locations, so always interested in any aspects where Gaia can help with that. Hence the +1
    Cheers mate from a rainy nsw.

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey Andy - I am Sydney based :)

Yeah I was looking to see if there was any interest. I think that processing satellite images would be quite interesting. My challenge is time - i am just one guy and i sink a huge amount of time into Gaia - and at the moment supporting multi tile terrains is a high priority - I will maybe look at satellite processing - perhaps as a add on after that.

John-G likes this.
  48. Andy3D

Andy3D

Nice, I appreciate you're one guy, no worries just wanted to reiterate in case my interest was lost in the subsequent responses about using both tools.
    Sydney eh, nice1. Just up the road from you, and waiting for the summer to start!

TheSeawolf and AdamGoodrich like this.
  49. sarum

sarum

great .. love the ability to spawn on meshes !!!
    and splat maps !

50. bartm4n

bartm4n

Here's a shot in the dark: any suggestions for dealing with terrain rendering above and below its collider?

I'm noticing this happen using one of the stamps (haven't used any others, tbh), so when I spawn details/trees it shows up correctly on the collider, but still not visible because the terrain is rendering above the collider. The opposite happens too, where the terrain renders underneath the collider so spawned objects appear to float.

I feel like it has something to do with the resolution of the terrain, but I am kind of stuck beyond that.

Otherwise, I am having an absolute blast using Gaia and trying to become better at generating outdoor environments.