Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. Teila

Teila

Time of Day, works great, easy to use, and look nice.

S4G4N likes this.
  2. UltraTM

UltraTM

We use Tenkoku cause we also use Suimono (water) and it works well together also the wind with the water and all that stuff. And Tenkoku and Suimono can be unlimited. So you dont have an Dome only you can use them for an unlimited terrain also.

You need to choose depending on what you like to do.
    We are making an MMORPG so Unistorm had for us too much FPS drops. And since we are making an unlmited terrain.
    For this Tenkoku is better.

For other stuff i also prefer Unistorm, Survival etc...
    Hope this helps
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  3. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

I'm using Unistorm and am very happy with the complete day/night and four seasons weather cycle. Plus this week version 2.1 is being released. This features better night colours and a new climate zone climate setup based on elevation. It is well worth checking out.

I am a complete novice and am still making more mistakes then progress; but can say that the set up for Unistorm is very easy. It also comes with dynamic snow, load/save, player spawn, Plant growth an eat/sleep/ warmth scripts and demos......and no I don't have shares in the company :)

4. Navid

Navid

Hi,
    how can i use GAIA with Unity 4.xx. I know it´s build with Unity 5.xx but i need it for project use 4.6.
    Is there a possibility ?

Navid

5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi Navid,

There are new features in Unity 5 that I use, which would cause compile errors.

There aren't too many cross overs though - so chances are you could modify the code to support this. At this point in time I am not sure that it makes sense for me to add the backwards compatibility - however of more people ask for it I could consider it.

Cheers,
    Adam.

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  6. eaque

eaque

Hi,

What a great tool!! so intuitive! the stamper concept is what we needed! lol
    What about tiled terrains? dont see in tutorials...Can we slice a huge terrain? and can we stich multiple terrains?
    Sorry if that question was already asked...
    thnx

by the way a comptatibility since Unity 4.3.4 would be much appreciated...;)

S4G4N likes this.
  7. smada-luap

smada-luap

Terrain tiling is scheduled for a future release.

8. twobob

twobob

Unity 4. Two months to live... R I P, you were loved...

@eaque I don't remember what state it was in but https://gist.github.com/twobob/f77462efce7df5a8c0ad was a semi-complete 3/3 terrain tile moving solution, semi complete in the sense that I don't remember testing it that much.

But it'll get you started.

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  9. eaque

eaque

thanks for your answers! Still working with TC!

twobob likes this.
  10. Mikeedee

Mikeedee

This looks fantastic. I'm buying it as soon as tileable terrains are in.

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  11. dl_studios

dl_studios

@AdamGoodrich Bought Gaia and love it. I'm impressed by your code, very clean and logical and modular. I'm super excited about it.

We have been trying to get Gaia to work at runtime. It works in editor during play mode, however in a standalone build the stamp tool and texture spawner don't operate at runtime. Is there a way to enable the these tools in a stand alone build?

Thank you for making this awesome asset!

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  12. twobob

twobob

Request for thingy.

Issue: 4 texture landscapes are kinda dullness.
    upload_2015-12-1_1-12-48.png

Remedy: Projectable Overlays.

Ideally: Cheap as possible, Terrain Hugging.

We generated some simple plane meshes (I think you may have some code that can do this already)

upload_2015-12-1_1-23-1.png

We mocked up some code that walks the verts, decides on the maximum height range of the floor it is going to cover beneath it, repositions the mesh touching the highest most point, walks the verts and sticks them to the floor (or whatever is underneath it, with a collider).

This is not walking the terrain data, it casts rays so as to be extra useful in creating things like table cloths, bed linen, bloodstains down walls and onto floor, flags et cetera.

Could you add some like this? it would be nice to project round or square/quadrilateral meshes, our code did not care what geomertry the verts initially were, nor how many. This would clearly be limited to planes.

It would add value and allow less talented game artists easy access to a very simple to use "projection decal" system.

Thanks for listening.

Terrain decoupage is the way forward
    upload_2015-12-1_1-31-42.png

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    runningbird, S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  13. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hehe - a decal system as well - pretty cool idea actually :)

Coming back to boring terrains / texturing - there are a couple of approaches to this:

* Add detail to your terrain so that its not entirely flat - this will cause the texture spawner to mix the textures as terrain slope changes - which adds interest - plus you get the benefit of lighting / shadowing. To do this get a stamp - set its height to be quite low (say 1), and use a distance mask to ensure that the area of effect is centred around the stamp.

* Grab an image of a noise function and use this as an area mask when texturing - so you can further modulate the how the texture is applied via the noise. I will be adding a per rule masking function and perhaps a noise generator as well in the near future (but don't think I will delay the next release for this).

twobob likes this.
  14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

While I have worked on the API for Gaia for things like the stamper I have not advertised this as a feature yet as it has not had enough 'battle testing' yet. I don't want people to be put out as the API evolves.

I am planning to push a release this week with the latest features, and will focus on this in the next release as it's a key requirement of some other very cool stuff I want to release ASAP.

If you would like to work with me on fleshing this out then please PM me.

S4G4N likes this.
  15. jaimepollard

jaimepollard

Updated my Speedtrees, replaced the standard asset ones i was using for place holders. Started to add some buildings and finally got round to setting up ATS colormap ultra terrain shader too. :) screen_2560x1270_2015-11-30_22-22-20.jpg screen_2560x1270_2015-11-30_22-20-08.jpg screen_2560x1270_2015-11-30_22-17-27.jpg screen_2560x1270_2015-11-24_03-38-19.jpg

16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

S4G4N likes this.
  17. IroncladEarl

IroncladEarl

Hello all, just purchased Gaia yesterday and it's been a blast playing around with it. I know it was just released but I was wondering if there are any detailed guides or tutorials on how to get different looks and feels. I cannot seem to get rid of that "amateur" feel from my terrain. For example can I 'mix' (apply them to the same spawning rules) a couple rocky textures and make one more prominent than the other?

Also would be nice if I could get some advice on what lighting configuration I should try. It seems it's either too bright or too dim. Trying to get that realistic sun effect maybe?

S4G4N likes this.
  18. S4G4N

S4G4N

It is so nice to come to the forum and see these kind of replies :):)

I am sure you will get some replies from those that knows it back to front soon.

The first update will be released soon with lots of new cool defaults for all the sections and some new features as well
    @AdamGoodrich is very excited about it, some more 3rd party items like grasses and flowers from @turboscalpeur and such is also being added to enable you to sculpt even better looking results out the box

twobob likes this.
  19. smada-luap

smada-luap

@Saladon try using a noise texture as a mask when spawning the textures - and invert the mask for the second texture which should give an effect similar to what you're after. I would also experiment with the fitness curves, etc in the spawners to see what results they give as well

Hope this has helped a little. Can't offer much more as I'm not sat in front of my pc which may spark off other ideas :)

S4G4N and twobob like this.
  20. IroncladEarl

IroncladEarl

Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

S4G4N likes this.
  21. Teila

Teila

You really need something like Time of Day to get decent lighting. I believe Adam still includes a 'sun' in Gaia and you could use that instead. I think you just drag it into your scene...I never used it because I had ToD.

S4G4N likes this.
  22. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Nope.. Directional Light is created by default when you create a new scene. Adam has Wind and Water setup as options in Gaia Manager. But pretty sure he is just using the default directional light, at least in the initial release.

I will second the suggestion of Time of Day though. LOVING how easy it is to work with for great lighting!

23. Teila

Teila

Ahh, I was remembering it from beta. Nevermind! :)

24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yeah.. I think he removed all the prefabs from beta when he created the Gaia Manager menu.. I think.. lol Hard to tell.. Everything just blends together in my head anymore... lol

Teila likes this.
  25. CastleIsGreat

CastleIsGreat

just back home from vacation, going to have some fun shortly in world machine making stamps D:

S4G4N likes this.
  26. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Great lighting, except at Night time. I'd really like it not to be pitch black (even though that is how it is in RL). No clue how to fix night time.

27. chingwa

chingwa

@99thmonkey You're welcome to try out the Tenkoku demo, it includes the ability to adjust the darkness/brightness of night sky elements and lighting. It works without issue with Gaia, as seen in many of the screenshots posted here :)
    http://www.tanukidigital.com/tenkoku/demo/

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  28. runningbird

runningbird

@99thmonkey: You can also work with the ambient lighting for your scene and adjust that so it isn't pitch black etc.

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I highly recommend Tenkoku as well. It has a huge amount of artistic control.

Grab 2015-08-19 150725 1744x998.jpg

I really like this image - its my login screen image - it was generated with Gaia and lit by Tenkoku :)

chingwa, mwituni, Rick- and 5 others like this.
  30. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I had that issue with Environment Gator but oddly didn't experience it with Time of Day. I actually have a little more light than I would like at night.. Wonder if the differences are in how we have our ambient light setup. Pretty sure my scene just has the Unity defaults for the Lighting window at this point.

S4G4N likes this.
  31. smada-luap

smada-luap

I had a similar experience when I first got ToD - but then looked around the options and I think I ended up raising the ambient light levels when it was night and also changed the colours so it was a slightly lighter shade of blue that was being used

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  32. Teila

Teila

Really easy to do! Just mess with the atmosphere settings. I like it really dark and have a tougher time with that. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  33. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

S4G4N likes this.
  35. Teila

Teila

Beautiful!!! Wow! Great job. :) They look like photographs!

36. JBacal

JBacal

Impressive landscapes! I'd like to be there now!

S4G4N likes this.
  37. S4G4N

S4G4N

38. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Is there any way or workaround to export to obj just the cliffs of the terrain?
    Thanks

39. broesby

broesby

So beautiful :) I too like the vertical photo-like" format... and seems like I might have to buy your grasses some day ;)

I've been trying some to get a fog-effect like yours.... Is it the Global-fog image effect or is it some particle effect or what?? ...

Btw,.. First time here - some time reading/using Gaia ;) Adam Goodrich, you really nailed it with Gaia. I've been almost religiously devoted to TC for 2 years or so... Since Gaia came out I didn't even open TC once... I almost feel like cheating on Nathaniel :D

Only problem is the lack of multi-tiling still.... Anyone care to explain the best workaround right now for this??

Best wishes

Jesper, Denmark

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  40. mimminito

mimminito

41. S4G4N

S4G4N

Another user @Snownebula have posted a while back using the same author's other package Stylized Nature Pack The results was good looking

He posted here, post #1688 , so I can assume that the one on sale will give similar results

Cheers
    Cobus

twobob likes this.
  42. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

How to say...Hum Hum...Gaia just makes the life easier! A Lot!

Thanks ;) and about the Fog it's coming from ToD tweaking the SkyDome and mostly the ToD_Scattering Script^^

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  43. S4G4N

S4G4N

Great, I bought ToD "at another time on a different day" lol , going to use it soon.
    The results looking great !!!

44. mimminito

mimminito

Thanks! Does look good, but its limited in the variations. Shame, but could produce some great environments!

45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I will have a play with some other asset packs after the next release is out. Looking forward to showing off how Gaia can leverage what you chuck at it to create different and interesting environments :)

mimminito and S4G4N like this.
  46. mimminito

mimminito

Sounds good, I'm always watching this thread for the image people post up :) I'm also intrigued with Sky Master, it seems a great all round solution for sky, weather and ocean.

S4G4N likes this.
  47. Teila

Teila

Billy is outstanding in his field. ;)

Screen Shot 12-02-15 at 03.00 PMSmall.png

mwituni, Rick-, runningbird and 10 others like this.
  48. smada-luap

smada-luap

(Whispers) If you build it, he will come

ZenMicro and Teila like this.
  49. Teila

Teila

Good one!! LOL

CastleIsGreat likes this.
  50. Teila

Teila

Another one for Turboscalpeur, the maker of beautiful grasses!

Here, Billy is making hay. :)

Screen Shot 12-02-15 at 03.02 PMSmall.png

wetcircuit, mwituni, Mr-Logan and 8 others like this.