Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Nice videos! Thanks

2. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

To be honest, it has been a while since I captured it. Have some memory issues left over from medical crap and sometimes can't remember details. I remember I had to scale up to the largest box possible on the site and even then it took several captures to get the entire area. I then pulled those individual PNGs into Photoshop, combined them, saved the PSD and then used the PSD to scan for my stamp.

I believe Gaia can do a PNG as well but seem to recall there was something odd about the Terrain.Party ones that made me have to save them in photoshop first. That was when Adam told me I could just use my PSD files.

3. runningbird

runningbird

Just purchased and played around for a bit over lunch and WOW!!!

I've gone through and done my own terrain design for weeks and some up to months to make it look amazing.
    But after 15 minutes of playing around I am just amazed at how easy this is to use.

I can't wait to go home and start creating zone after zone with this.

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  4. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

This is something that has been discussed in beta... Not sure if Adam will do this as part of Gaia or an add-on type thing but I know he has at least been bouncing around ideas for this.

5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Cobus (3DForge) and Adam are developer buddies. Cobus used the kit he put on sale to make the sampling of medieval era houses for Adam to include with Gaia. Buying his kit would allow you to make custom houses and villages or you could download blueprints (prefabs) that are for prebuilt houses made with the kit that can then be modified to fit your needs. Really another HUGE value. Especially if you look at the first post in his thread and see all of the planned updates that are coming down the road.

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  6. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Even though the pack is free, it would still require the artist's permission to include within Gaia. But stuff like this is definitely links that could be shared!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  7. gurayg

gurayg

Since Gaia is able to use any heightmap or mesh and blend it with the underlying terrain (stamps) I was wondering if it would be possible to blend color maps as well?
    Chances of such a thing is slim but wanted to ask anyway :)

Also Is there a planned feature to let use revisit and adjust our Gaia terrains?

Thanks!

8. smada-luap

smada-luap

Some of the other beta testers use colormaps so there's probably some discussions going off about this :)

What do you mean by "revisit and adjust" ?

9. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Just pulled this using http://terrain.party. If you are looking for height maps of Australia, use it. The only problem I have with it is you are limited to a 60km square. So it isn't great if you need a huge land mass like the whole continent, but it still work.. This is from one of the southeastern portions..

Australia Height Map (Merged).png

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  10. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

The package seems to be missing from the Asset store now:
    Unfortunately, Gaia - Terrain Creation, Texturing, Population is no longer available.

11. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yup.. That is a limitation of terrain.party. Doesn't matter how much you zoom.. A km is still a km.. And that is how that little box is set up. Only thing I hate about that site... Like you, I wish it would scale. But point is, it isn't Australia limiting what you can get. The heightmaps are there if you are willing to take it in the small chunks terrain party allows.. If you go directly to Bing maps, though.. I think you can get the larger scale versions. If you have World Composer you can pull those in fairly easy enough.

12. smada-luap

smada-luap

Yeah. Don't know what's happened there. Adam has just been made aware.

13. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Actually it looks like Asset Store as a whole having issues.. I can't load main asset store page either.. Give the Unity folks a chance to sort it out.. :(

14. gurayg

gurayg

Thanks for the reply!

I meant something like a project file; Which holds all settings of all stamps. So I can revisit and change something later and create a new Terrain with the new settings.

15. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

Trees lately have been a huge issue for me.. see this post http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/xfrog-tree-usage.361650/

And from what i can gather Unity Trees cannot be rotated or the billboards would be wrong as they use the same billboard per tree... correct me anyone who knows better!

so adding them as Objects you may not be getting any bill-boarding happening at all - almost certain.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, should be fine with the undo

17. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

This is something else that has been talked about. I think Adam even talks about it a couple pages back here in the thread. It is not something that is in Gaia at this time but it is something I think he is looking into for possible addition.

18. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Why is Gaia as from now, today, tonight unfortunatly no longer availabel on the asset store?

I just bought it today, so I have it but it is now gone WHY? and if it is gone for good, do I get my money back?

19. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Yeah the direct link shows this Unfortunately, Gaia - Terrain Creation, Texturing, Population is no longer available.

20. norby

norby

Same here , i bought it today and i wanted to download it tonight but it is gone :(

21. Hadryel

Hadryel

Its seems the asset store isnt working as its not loading at all. I will be patient and wait for Unity to fix it.

22. Teila

Teila

Probably something minor. Give them a chance to figure it out. I trust that was a mistake or an asset store issue.

23. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

It's disappeared from my download box too, never seen anything disappear from there

24. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I do hope that the asset has not been banned and if it's not banned but just a Unity mistake, then I hope that the author gets compensation for loss of sales. As this is a Gem Asset and I would miss it.

25. tapticc

tapticc

Glad it isn't just me, I bought it earlier in the week and just tried to use it for first time and was like, I'm sure I bought it?!

26. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Be patient folks.. Adam is working with the asset store to try to figure out what is wrong.

27. tapticc

tapticc

While we are waiting, has anybody tried the seed generation with multiplayer? I would like to know if say the trees will always be generated in the same place using the same seed so each player sees the same world

28. OHG777

OHG777

Hopefully Unity makes this right for Adam and if a competitor try to derail Adam's efforts and success that author should be banned permanently. This is a really low blow for sure.

29. tapticc

tapticc

It's showing in my purchased items list at least :)

30. smada-luap

smada-luap

It's back

31. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

It's not back

32. Teila

Teila

It will be soon. :)

33. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

back for me, wonder what happened?

34. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I am in Germany and it is still not online, maybe I / we just have to wait. I already have it downloaded but before I use my weekend for this I would like to know that it is here to stay.

35. Teila

Teila

Adam should be the one to tell you, but it was a mistake. It will be back up totally soon.

36. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hi Guys,

There was a bit of a technical glitch. The fine folks at Unity are onto it and we should be back up shortly.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Hadryel and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  37. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Thanks for the heads up :)

38. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Ok, then as Douglas Adams once said, “DON’T PANIC” in friendly bold pink letters, then I will wait.

As the blind man said, “we will see”, to the death man who said, “What?”

39. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

The Gaia store page appears to be back up now! Darn those glitches! Thumbs up for @AdamGoodrich and the Unity team for getting this resolved quickly!

AdamGoodrich and HeadClot88 like this.
  40. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

It is back up for me as well :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  41. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Yupp, it's back and now I will use my weekend for this.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

@AdamGoodrich

I'm updating my PolyWorld packs with a much faster/better rewritten terrain generation component. As illustrated in an earlier post, Gaia and PolyWorld can work great together. Would you mind if I featured Gaia and PolyWorld together in a video and some screenshots? My updates are due out early next week.

S4G4N, OHG777, AdamGoodrich and 3 others like this.
  43. kilju

kilju

Hi all
    if u are trying to use gaia on many terrain tiles example 5x5 tiles
    i found workaround to work with them.
    just disable all exept one tile and move it to position 0,0,0 then will stampin work. after stamp just move it back to its orginal position.

seems like problem might be too long distance from origin causes off range error

44. SIV

SIV

Playing with Gaia :D

45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Good catch! I know Adam mentioned the disabling but never thought of tile position being an issue. Wonder if it is part of the math problem Unity has with huge terrains or something. Hopefully all that will be resolved with the multi-tile update when it gets here! :)

46. Teila

Teila

I love texturing the terrain in Gaia. While I have tried other tools, Gaia just looks so realistic in the way it blends textures, as seen with the sand hills on a coastal terrain.

siblingrivalry, John-G, ibyte and 6 others like this.
  47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It would be an honor - cant wait to see it :)

S4G4N, SIV, HeadClot88 and 2 others like this.
  48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Loving the collaboration! By the way, @QuantumTheory has a great Rocks and Cliffs pack. I have used some of them in my spawners in some of my Gaia tests early on.

QuantumTheory likes this.
  49. Teila

Teila

Oh, I have those! They are nice. :)

QuantumTheory likes this.
  50. SIV

SIV

Cant resist.. more screenies :D

unityunity