Search Unity

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

?

Would you pay an upgrade fee for Gaia 2 so that we can hire to accelerate its development?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2018.
  1. Yeah super cool - I would pay a $15 upgrade fee to get it faster!

83 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No way - you promised free and i am happy to wait!

20 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Just bought, cant wait to start creating stuff for my RPG and asset demos :)

Also about the above question, it is really interesting to know if there are run time possibilities for the system as well.

2. smada-luap

smada-luap

He must have said this at least once per day :)

3. Duffer123

Duffer123

Does this awesome looking Asset come with any ground texture, plant, tree, rock or water assets included?

S4G4N likes this.
  4. kilju

kilju

me too :D love to see if u can get ur grass system working with this :D
    just played with fev minutes with this and i love it :) one question tho.
    can i load my own terrain for this?
    would like to make many terrains with terrain composer and sculp them with gaia.

nasos_333 likes this.
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system can definitly be made to work with GAIA, i will try to add support as soon as possible.

If GAIA can do real time deformation etc too will also be a super interesting challenge to see how i could adapt to it.

6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This works now, and will be improved in the future. I deliberately did not highlight the API because it is still immature. One of my beta group is doing some cool stuff with this.

nasos_333 likes this.
  7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Looking forward to this :)

Licarell likes this.
  8. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have now completed most of the crtical features, so it will be much easier to adapt as well as i have a greater control of the system. Will be super cool to have the two work together :)

My next demo for v1.5 will definitly be using GAIA created terrains as well.

Licarell, kilju and MarcusWatson like this.
  9. kilju

kilju

Adam how about making say like 10 terrains with terrain composer and sculp them with gaia?
    is this possible or do i have to make them manually with gaia?

tequyla likes this.
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Great question :)

You can use any terrain you like as a starting point, and then modify, texture, plant and populate with Gaia.

BUT, you can only do them one at a time as Gaia still needs to be adapted to support multiple concurrent tiles.

To do this simple disable the tiles your not working on, do your stuff, then re-enable and cycle through.

Out of the box multiple terrain tile support is in there if you peek thru the code - but not universally supported yet - so have hidden it until i can deliver a quality experience.

Multi tile support without the inconvenience mentioned above is be high on the list of post launch enhancements.

11. angel_m

angel_m

Is any water shader included? if not, what are you using in your screenshots for water?
    Also, is it possible to export an splat map to apply later to the exported terrain mesh (.obj) and obtain a textured terrain mesh in the style of T4M?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  12. kilju

kilju

sounds good :)
    how i should select my terrain? Because in gaia manager i cant seem to find any place to load my terrain. so any info how to load stamper on my terrain?

thank you

-Toni

13. Gozdek

Gozdek

Looks fantastic.

14. lazygunn

lazygunn

I think adam has an 'all unity' approach where possible so he may be using Water4 which is in the standard assets. It uses gerstners algorithm for wave creation.
    Also worth looking at which is popular with folk here is suimono which i really like, lots of artistic control, uses principally a texture based wave generation method.
    I currently use Ceto which is suiting my uses mostly at the moment, it uses fft calculations with, i think, the jonswap spectrum and a physically based bdrf based on the work of eric brunetton, its probably the most realistic of the options but i enjoy both ceto and suimono a great deal

15. Xenonus

Xenonus

I'll just quote one of the reviews from the store:

Gaia = Terrain composer without learning curve & headaches

Insta-buy for me :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  16. smada-luap

smada-luap

You can pull heightmaps into Gaia by running them through the scanner which will then turn it into a stamp that you can apply to your terrains as required :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  17. zenGarden

zenGarden

What are the advantages or disadvantages with TerrainComposer ?

18. kilju

kilju

got it working but now when i try to stamp my terrain it gives me error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. Gaia.GaiaWorldManager..ctor (UnityEngine.Terrain[] terrains) (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/ResourcesSystem/GaiaWorldManager.cs:187)
    3. Gaia.Stamper+<ApplyStamp>c__Iterator8.MoveNext () (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/StampingSystem/Stamper.cs:950)
    4. Gaia.Stamper.EditorUpdate () (at Assets/Gaia/Scripts/StampingSystem/Stamper.cs:736)
    5. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:270)

if i try to make new terrain and stamp that it works flawlesly. any idea how to fix?
    im using unity 5.4.0f3 and using rtp3 shader.
    i got 100 tiles of terrain and have disabled all exept terrain im stamping.
    when i press stamp progress stays at 0%
    heres my terrain settings:

Attached Files:

19. lofwyre

lofwyre

Great Job Adam

Have had fun playing with the various settings
    valley1.jpg

and with Ceto ocean

valley2.jpg

The rules for adding texture, details and trees is pretty straight forward and versatile.

Cheers

20. gurayg

gurayg

Hi,
    I was also watching this closely and now I see why it took this long.
    It did because it is ground-breaking :) Has so many "ease of use" cases to count here.

But I should say +1 for layers and a project file of some sort is essential.
    I have some questions and would appreciate if you can answer those;

-Is there a way to show the stamp while we paint our terrain texture to be used as mask, It would be easier to paint, while we see the area of interest on the stamp?

-Is it possible to fit the visualizer into the spawner so they work on the same area with the stamper?

-Can we use our .raw heightmaps of any resolution as a Gaia Stamper?

-How are the third pary integrations at this point? I'm particularly interested in RTP and TOD. Does Gaia just setup the textures or does it have further control over those assets such as setting up heightmaps for RTP or binding the wind direction of Gaia with TOD cloud movements?

-Does multi-terrain support also bring tiled import-export of .raw heightmaps? I'd like to know if we can use Gaia to work with World Machine in a round trip fashion.

-How does World Machine flow maps come into play?

Thanks

S4G4N likes this.
  21. S4G4N

S4G4N

Yes, it comes with standard textures, some decent 3rd part rocks, free SpeedTree trees.
    Water you can import the Unity Standard Water

It even comes with a small selection of single mesh buildings taken from the Village Exteriors Kit package
    Village Exteriors Kit forum thread

Cheers
    Cobus

22. smada-luap

smada-luap

Not saying that it is, but it may be a problem with the Unity version number - is that a beta version? I'm only aware of Unity versions into 5.2.

I'd suggest emailing Adam directly with this and any support materials you can that would enable him to track down the problem. It may turn out that it's a quick fix, or he may even offer you a workaround for now.

23. Defcon44

Defcon44

GAIA is mine now :D

Thanks for you'r asset and great works !

S4G4N likes this.
  24. John-G

John-G

This is going to be one of my goto assets in the future. Only had about an hour to play with it in total since downloading yesterday and already have a nice simple terrain created. That would have taken me days to create something similar using my previous toolset.

The documentation and tutorial videos are excellent, and very easy to follow along too. Adam is easy to understand and manages to hold my attention all the way through. Can't wait for more follow up videos with more advanced techniques.

As Adam says screenshots or it didn't happen:

All this was done using Gaia's default setting and assets that were included within Gaia.
    Most of the hour was spent importing the assets like Truesky and Ceto and setting them up.
    So in total reckon I spent less than 30 mins to create the above and that was mostly playing with the stamping system.

Conclusion: Well impressed and best $25.00 ever spent within Unity.

25. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

Adam Goodrich is Jesus.

26. GenOli

GenOli

So will multi-tile mean I can generate a larger terrain with multiple terrains or just edit multi-terrains at once, or both?

S4G4N likes this.
  27. mimminito

mimminito

In one of the tutorial videos Adam mentions a vegetation pack he recommends. Any idea what it was? The screenshots on the store are beautiful and I would love to know the assets used to produce those.

This looks fantastic, I am buying this tomorrow :)

S4G4N likes this.
  28. Kasko

Kasko

Damn! Gotta refill my prepaid credit card to get this one. Adam is surely gonna get us poorer at the end of this month :D

S4G4N likes this.
  29. Recon03

Recon03

Very impressed I will add this to my terrain assets , I own World Machine, Terrain, World Composer, and always said there is nothing better..After seeing this, I may change my mind, I plan to buy later today.. Looks impressive... Does this work with Horizon ON??

Also how is well does this run on Android... and can you split terrains for World Streaming. Thanks

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  30. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

@mimminito
    Take a look to this post of Adam:
    Hope this helps

AdamGoodrich and mimminito like this.
  31. smada-luap

smada-luap

@RD I don't know when he added it but I've seen this on the asset store page earlier today. (I know he won't have just added this as it's currently 3am in Australia :) )

Special launch price for 1 week only!
    Normal price will be $65

Edit - @RonnyDance beat me to it :)

32. adventurefan

adventurefan

The workflow actually looks really nice in the video. Before I get though I have a question as far as what it does to the scene... it's ultimately just baking all this to regular terrain system, correct? It's not making any changes there that would make it complicated to use if you have scripts already that reference unity terrain/splatmaps, and so on?

33. montyfi

montyfi

When will it work with multiple terrains?
    And if I already have 4x4 terrain grid created with Terrain Composer, can I use already existing terrains (height and splat maps) as a staring point for your tool?

34. DallasOnFire

DallasOnFire

Could you please add some demos? Keep it up!

35. smada-luap

smada-luap

@FIRULAINS these should help

36. DallasOnFire

DallasOnFire

I mean a gameplay demo. Where you can walk around with FPS controller.

37. DallasOnFire

DallasOnFire

A demo of this scene would be great :D

38. khos85

khos85

Hi, will Gaia work with Unity version 4.6?

39. smada-luap

smada-luap

I don't know if it would. It's a possibility but I don't know if any unity 5 specific api calls were used

S4G4N likes this.
  40. khos85

khos85

I bought it but cannot download in v4.6, wonder if it need v5 specific api's?

41. Teila

Teila

Typically, unless the asset was uploaded in a version below or equal to yours, you cannot use it. Gaia was only uploaded in v. 5 and probably won't work with 4. You might need to contact Unity for a refund or upgrade to 5.

On asset store listing:

Requires Unity 5.1.0 or higher.

Pays to read the description. ;)

S4G4N likes this.
  42. Shawn67

Shawn67

I don't think Adam kept any of those scenes. He was notorious for creating them and wiping them out to build another one. That, in itself, is kind of a testament of how easy it is to create terrains with Gaia. If you mean creating demo scenes to include in the packages, many of the ones he posted here have used commercial assets so that wouldn't be possible.

S4G4N likes this.
  43. Shawn67

Shawn67

Was just trying to catch up and seems the thread has exploded. Noticing some of the other beta testers fielding some of the questions. Going to comment on some of them that were missed or I have additional input. Hopefully this will help @AdamGoodrich keep up. heheh

As for all the multi-tile questions I'm seeing. Keep in mind, multi-tile isn't officially supported yet. Adam posted a temporary workaround a few posts back which should allow folks to work with multi-tile terrains for those of you needing it now. I would suggest everyone with multi-tile requirements/requests to maybe hold onto them until after the initial rush of support questions. Or Adam may want to have you send them to him as feature requests. At this point there technically isn't multi-tile support but it is on his roadmap list. :)

Also, if I quote you below but don't quote/respond to all your questions.. I am only responding to those I am familiar with from my own testing of Gaia throughout the beta.

Gaia is a terrain builder which uses standard Unity shaders. There is nothing in the package that deals with water other than being able to set a sea level. The screen shots use a mix of Water4, Suimono, and Ceto.

No clue what T4M is, so I can't comment on that. Maybe @AdamGoodrich knows? As far as exporting splat maps in the way you are talking about, that isn't something that Gaia can do at this point. At least I don't think it can. What it sounds like you are asking for is one export that can then be laid down as a single texture on the terrain, similar to what World Composer/Terrain Composer does with satellite images. This is something that was bounced around from time to time to possibly deal with terrain texture limitations, but I don't think he has added anything like that yet. What is in there are mask exports where you can take the painted texture that is on the terrain and make a mask with it, but I don't think we can create and then reuse a splat map yet. Adam, or any of the other testers, can correct me if I am wrong there.

BUT.. Keep in mind that Gaia makes standard Unity terrains. So if you have access to a tool that can do that, you could always get the terrain the way you want it looking with Gaia and then export/use a splat map generated by any tool that can do so with a Unity terrain.

Actually, you don't even need to scan the height maps if the terrain is already a Unity terrain. I took the Isle_01 demo scene from Big Environment Pack 1.5 and after clearing the terrain of Philipp's objects and a small bit of configuring, Gaia worked perfectly on it. Making existing terrains work with Gaia, it just needs the terrain in the scene. There is no need to load the terrain into Gaia. The only things I did with Isle_01 was to make sure Gaia's sea level settings matched the level of the Water4 object surrounding the island.

The scanner is great for taking height maps from places like the website terrain.party and converting them to stamps that can be stamped into a terrain or other height maps you want to use as stamps. If you already have a terrain though, you shouldn't need to make a stamp out of it unless you just wanted to.

Not sure this is really the place to be talking about this. TC is a great product. For me personally, I just couldn't wrap my head around it to get the results I was looking for.

I believe they have to be saved as Windows 16 bit. If you are using Photoshop/Gimp, Gaia can also read and use PSD files.

At this point there aren't any integrations. I know Adam has been collaborating with a lot of authors. There is a shoreline mask tool that can generate Ceto shorelines. It may also work for other water systems but was a new addition just within the past couple weeks. Some folks on the beta also talked about optimizations with other tools but not sure what is going to come with that. Again, Gaia is just standard Unity terrain after you have finished with it. Any assets that have wind direction/cloud movements/etc based off of Unity terrain should work with terrains made with Gaia. Same with RTP. Gaia just sets up the default texturing. You should be able to put RTP on top of it and take over the terrain texturing with it if you want to use RTP.

Yes.. I had Horizon[ON] in my project and was going to try to use it. It works fine. My only problem was being with an island environment using Sectr Stream, I couldn't really get Horizon[ON] to work the way I wanted it to. But it did work without any issues.

CaptainMurphy, S4G4N and gurayg like this.
  44. zenGarden

zenGarden

So Gaya is more easy to use it seems.
    But can you get similar results ?
    Can the generated final terrain map with textures, grass, trees be saved as a Unity standard level ?
    I mean with Unity grass distance display management, trees LOD etc ... ?

S4G4N likes this.
  45. Shawn67

Shawn67

Not 100% sure what you are asking... If you can do that with standard Unity terrain, you should be able to do it with a terrain created with Gaia. Gaia creates standard Unity terrains. There is nothing special about the final terrain making it a Gaia terrain other than the fact it was made using Gaia. Grasses, trees, textures, everything on the terrain acts the same as on any other terrain.

S4G4N and zenGarden like this.
  46. Teila

Teila

Yes, you can remove Gaia after you are done with it and you have a regular standard Unity terrain with all the optimizations that come with the terrain systems.

Shawn67, S4G4N and zenGarden like this.
  47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks Shawn - Just got up and going though it now - looks like i have a lot of questions to answer - will try and get them all :)

Shawn67 and S4G4N like this.
  48. thedark.reaper

thedark.reaper

i was reading all the topic thinking about the possibilities to make terrains in this art style, so the question is,
    It is possible to do this with Gaia ? requires a lot of effort?

Shawn67 and S4G4N like this.
  49. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Hi, I got your asset earlier and it's very easy to create a terrains, I'm having a few problems with the texturing but I'm sure I'll get there tomorrow :)

One thing I'd love would be savannah heightmaps. Currently you have a folder for plains, but inside there are only sand dunes. My plan is to create a very flat, but uneven terrain with the occasional hill, and then use the texturing spawn to add different textures to the savanna plains. Similar to this photo here: http://www.maasaicamp.com/assets/tsavo.gif

Also, a different heighmap (which I can place seperately) for those kinds of hills (very smooth, almost cone shaped with slight ridges) in the background would be great. Cheers

I just found a better picture of the hills
    http://medias.photodeck.com/e4fbe84c-387b-11df-a644-2dbc6487068e/nami0507_xgaplus.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    S4G4N and Shawn67 like this.
  50. Shawn67

Shawn67

I think he just started creating that a couple days ago.. I think the big thing is figuring out exactly how he did it. Hopefully he will give us a run down, but from what he described to beta team it didn't sound super complicated. @lazygunn ? :p